0DFC7152-3983-444C-B3E5-9552E6EC4D12 (resized).jpeg
FB28564D-E51C-49A8-9566-230A9CDDB135 (resized).jpeg
4D276B4A-5EB9-4E00-9E21-25111CC39D13 (resized).jpeg
F2DB819B-F630-4BDF-B400-2421BAECA2DB (resized).jpeg
Plunger Temporary Fix (resized).jpg
Default Shooter Tip Rest (resized).jpg
Default Shooter Tip Rest 2 (resized).jpg
IMG_6153 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 85.
#1 4 years ago

As many of you know at last weeks Amusement Expo International in New Orleans, Hot Wheels Pinball machine made an appearance. We know this caught many of you by surprise as APIs past reveals were at pinball shows. As we are committed to growing pinball on location, this was an important audience to promote to that Pinball is alive and well. We had plans to have a big reveal at the Texas Pinball Festival, and while it was probably not realistic, we were hoping to keep things on the down low so as not take away from our TPF reveal, but this was a show pinball needed to be at and we felt it was important to have Hot Wheels™ there.

I’m sure you have noticed we have been slow to reveal details of the game, and there are a couple of reasons for that. First, we planned to have the official reveal at the Texas Pinball Festival (TPF) and for a while we wanted to hold back until then, second, given this is a licensed game, we needed to have all the necessary approvals before we could share content. While we have approvals for the physical machine, cabinet, art and playfield, we are still in the process of submitting game content (animations, voice calls, etc.). Since the playfield and cabinet have been approved we can share images of the machine at this time.

We are very disappointed we will not be able to give the game the reveal we had planned at TPF, we had a lot of cool stuff planned. In addition to a dozen games in our both, we had plans to include two life size Hot Wheels™ cars and a giant Hot Wheels™ track for kids and adults to play with.

Unfortunately TPF is not the only show that has been or will be cancelled, and since we won't be able to offer 'show specials' over the next couple of months, we are going to offer everyone a 'virtual show special'. For a limited time, all games leaving the factory, including Oktoberfest and Houdini, will include a shaker motor. Details will be posted soon on our website.

Obviously we have seen the various comments on pinside and elsewhere and we find some of the conjecture to be quite humorous. Now while we can't comment or respond to everything that has been posted, either for sake of brevity or things we are not yet able to talk about, we did want to provide clarity on a few things that have been brought up.

---

1) Whats with the offset monitor?

Despite some suggesting we did that since we had to fit it into the provided art, I can tell you that is not even remotely close to the truth. It has been our goal to integrate the game display into the backglass when possible, in this case as a jumbotron or digital billboard. The team also felt we could do more with the backglass if we could create a larger canvas for our artist. We did testing of playing the game with the offset monitor and found that it takes very little time to adjust to the different position. After a game or two you don't think about it being offset. And we do believe that the larger canvas allows the theme of the game to come through, even when the machine is turned off.

--

2) What's with the dinosaurs?

Thankfully there are still toys in the world that encourage kids to use their imagination. And over the years Hot Wheels™ has expanded its' universe to include playsets that allow kids to explore different worlds with their Hot Wheels™ cars. Using your car to battle dinosaurs, gorillas, sharks and other creatures is the norm for many kids now playing with Hot Wheels™. Given our goal was to capture all the different aspects of Hot Wheels™, collecting, track building, racing, the stuff may of us grew up up with, we also felt creature battles should be a part of it.

--

3) What's with the spinning car?

Without context it easy to see how the spinning car seems a bit out of place. The car does respond to what is happening in the game. And while I won't go into a lot of detail on that in this first post, I will say that we are still adjusting how it is used in game play, regardless, there are settings to control how much it is used, a little, a lot or none at all. So for those who really don't like it, you can just turn it off. I will say that when you actually play the machine, it is not as distracting as it might look watching a cell phone camera video of game play, and it can be quite helpful in knowing when the tach value is dropping -- you will soon learn why this is important.

--

4) What's the price?

Each of our games has been priced, based on what is in the game. Hot Wheels™ has a lower price than either of our first two games, with an MSRP of $6,295. This price reflects that the game has a little less in it feature wise. Also, as I indicated above, we want to grow location play and operators need a game at a price that works for them, so it was our goal on this machine to make it a little lower priced to better serve operators and to get more pinball on location. Given what is going on right now, there is little doubt that collectors won't mind paying a little less for a great new game.

Even with this lower price, the game is still loaded. Multiple ramps, drops targets, a vuk with loop ramp, a front facing kicker, staggered stand-up targets, real direct printed backglass and tons more. The game is 100% RGB LEDs for inserts and general illumination, using over 140 LEDs, including multiple LEDs in arrow inserts to allow better illumination and lighting effects. Cabinet inside art is included, the first of its kind, 3D Lenticular backpanel is included, art on the front of the apron included, powder coated rails included, and as mentioned above, for a limited time, the shaker motor is included. Oh, and the rules are designed to give you a lot of different objectives to pursue, which will keep this game challenging and entertaining for a long time.

--

5) What's with the stop motion animation?

Mattel has created a youtube series called Hot Wheels City™ and when we watched it, it just grabbed us. We loved the world they created and just watching it makes you smile. It is about having fun and that is what pinball is supposed to be about, so after much discussion, we decided that we wanted that to be part of the game and our friends at Mattel were willing to let us do so. You will see we mix that bit with some other animations that we feel better capture other aspects of Hot Wheels™ that some of us grew up with, such as track building and car collecting.

This is already getting to be pretty long for a post, so I'll wrap it up here and Ferret and I will share more details soon.

full_machine (resized).pngfull_machine (resized).pngplayfield (resized).pngplayfield (resized).png

#2 4 years ago

I enjoyed the intro to the game, thanks for the effort to put accurate information out there.

#3 4 years ago

Thank you for the update !

LTG : )

#4 4 years ago

I noticed the multiple LEDs in the arrows in one of the videos, it is cool how it gives the arrow some sense of motion and highlights those shots when lit better than just flashing or being lit. I tried to determine if this is the first game to use this, anyone know of a previous game that did the same?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I noticed the multiple LEDs in the arrows in one of the videos, it is cool how it gives the arrow some sense of motion and highlights those shots when lit better than just flashing or being lit. I tried to determine if this is the first game to use this, anyone know of a previous game that did the same?

Bit of a stretch, but I know that Bally City Slicker has two incandescents under most of the inserts, does some cool effectz

#6 4 years ago

Thanks for the update. The machine looks great! I'm excited to learn more and I can't wait to play it.

#7 4 years ago

I’m looking forward to playing Hot Wheels. Looks to be an exciting game that hopefully will do well on location and at home.

#8 4 years ago

Glad to see all of this come to fruition Josh! Sucks that it can't quite yet get it's time to shine....

Looking forward to playing it sooooon!

#9 4 years ago

Very cool looking game. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

#10 4 years ago

Looks interesting and has potential. I would certainly play it on location but it wouldn’t be a game that I would buy for my home. I think younger kids will love it and that might mean ops will be more interested than pinheads (at least those without younger children).

Looking forward to seeing it in the wild.

#11 4 years ago

Great description, thanks! Topic marked as a favorite. Can't wait to play one!

#12 4 years ago

Love me some Hot Wheels!!!!

#13 4 years ago

@rosh just curious why you didn’t put a loop the loop in? Was it for design reasons? Practicality or something else?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

@rosh just curious why you didn’t put a loop the loop in? Was it for design reasons? Practicality or something else?

Kinda curious who the designer is and if they know hotwheels, or just told " here is the license" work it.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Thought the exact same thing.

#16 4 years ago

Game looks great. I cannot wait to play the game!!

#17 4 years ago

Best wishes to American Pinball on great scuccess with Hot Wheels!

I own/enjoy a Houdini and I want an Oktoberfest.

#18 4 years ago

Nice looking pin, looking forward to playing it!

#19 4 years ago

Looks very cool. Tempting....

#20 4 years ago

Looks great overall, I like the artwork, layout, and theme!

#21 4 years ago

Right on Josh!

#22 4 years ago

Game looks really cool, congratulations!

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

rosh just curious why you didn’t put a loop the loop in? Was it for design reasons? Practicality or something else?

I might be able to answer this? When I was a kid, I had just about every Hot Wheels contraption there was. I would go to neighborhood garage sales on my bicycle and buy any hot wheels track I could. Always, in every set up, a loop the loop or two, or three had to be involved. What I found out is that if the loop was too tight, the car would always come off the track. If the loops were too big, there wasn't enough centrifugal force to hold them on the track. My guess is between the playfield and the glass, there just wasn't enough room to make a proper loop to work without taking up too much space. The game would have been a one trick pony. Possibly a wire form cork-screw loop could have worked, but that is more roller coaster than it is Hot Wheels.

Again, @rosh

#24 4 years ago

I was REALLY looking forward to playing this at TPF! Now I will have to hope that we can see it at SFGE this summer (assuming THAT is not cancelled!)

#25 4 years ago

When is this shipping?

#26 4 years ago

I think the timing wound up being perfect. This is the only new thing to gaze upon for months until there is a show. Who knew? Unfortunately I can't play it to decide for awhile.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I might be able to answer this? When I was a kid, I had just about every Hot Wheels contraption there was. I would go to neighborhood garage sales on my bicycle and buy any hot wheels track I could. Always, in every set up, a loop the loop or two, or three had to be involved. What I found out is that if the loop was too tight, the car would always come off the track. If the loops were too big, there wasn't enough centrifugal force to hold them on the track. My guess is between the playfield and the glass, there just wasn't enough room to make a proper loop to work without taking up too much space. The game would have been a one trick pony. Possibly a wire form cork-screw loop could have worked, but that is more roller coaster than it is Hot Wheels.
Again, rosh

i think a relatively simple solution would have been adding a small loop to the shooter lane (thinking in the style of the new Jurassic Park here). I know that is still prone to issues but would have been a decent way to get that part of the 'theming' into the game.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

MSRP of $6,295. This price reflects that the game has a little less in it feature wise. Also, as I indicated above, we want to grow location play and operators need a game at a price that works for them, so it was our goal on this machine to make it a little lower priced to better serve operators and to get more pinball on location.

Debate theme, but AP is first manufacturer besides stern to adjust pricing to engage more operators and buyers.
Refreshing move - look forward to it.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Quoted from vdojaq:

Again, rosh

We obviously looked at putting a loop d loop in the game. Joe Balcer spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to make it work. @vdojaq is very much on track. The size of the loop is pretty key, although does not have to be as big as a hot wheels loop, but it has to be big enough to work and to look right, and it does take up more space than you would think. Given the height requirements it has to go in the back portion of the machine, but then you have issues with flipper strength, so then you look at other ways to do fire the ball through hit, but then it is not a shot, it is gimmick, and then you find even trying to make that fit, it totally messes up the flow and speed of the game -- which was a priority. Also keep in mind, when a ball does not make it around it can end up in all sorts of places, airballs are not the friend of operators, so that was a consideration as well. There were other factors as well, so it was disappointing to all of us, but the best course of action was to not include it.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Again, rosh

That was my assessment too, it would have to be at the very back of the machine where there is maximum distance between playfield and glass. With it back there how do you ensure enough momentum to make the loop unless you build in some kind of accelerator via magnets and the two would take up too much space. Balcer is their designer and I assume this is his design, he's come up with cool toys before (Trunk / Roller Coaster / Couch lock etc.) so I can't believe he and the mechanical team didn't try to come up with a loop somehow. It could also be because they wanted to trim the BOM on this to lower price so they can market more to operators.

EDIT: Josh beat me to it by about 30 seconds!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:When is this shipping?

Obviously the whole world has been turned upside down. Our plan has been to start shipping games to distributors, for their show rooms and shows (not that there are going to be any of those for a while), the first week of April. Customer games would then start to ship two weeks after that. Normally those would be targeted for locations, but hard to know how that might be adjusted.

Now keep in mind, while we inventory a huge percentage of the parts, there are some parts that we get on a "Just In Time" basis. So, while right now things are on track, we could seee things outside our control mess with that.

As previous mentioned, we are still submitting content to Mattel for approval. They have been great to work with, and usually very quick to respond, but very hard to know how the virus is going to impact their operations and work flow.

As you can see, games are rolling down the line . . .

IMG_4751 2 (resized).JPGIMG_4751 2 (resized).JPG

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Now I will have to hope that we can see it at SFGE this summer

Now that it is a summer show, I guess there is a shot. Hard for anyone to predict what will happen between now and then. I know we have a couple of great distributors who do that show, so if it happens, I'm sure we will have games there. I've been to that show two of the last three years and it is one of my favorites -- part of that is my love of Taco Mac's buffalo wings, having survived on those back in college. Just to show how old I am, back then we could get 50 wings delivered, for $9.99, of course wings were not nearly as popular then as they are now.

#33 4 years ago

Love the theme! Can't wait to play.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We obviously looked at putting a loop d loop in the game. Joe Balcer spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to make it work. @vdojaq is very much on track. The size of the loop is pretty key, although does not have to be as big as a hot wheels loop, but it has to be big enough to work and to look right, and it does take up more space than you would think. Given the height requirements it has to go in the back portion of the machine, but then you have issues with flipper strength, so then you look at other ways to do fire the ball through hit, but then it is not a shot, it is gimmick, and then you find even trying to make that fit, it totally messes up the flow and speed of the game -- which was a priority. Also keep in mind, when a ball does not make it around it can end up in all sorts of places, airballs are not the friend of operators, so that was a consideration as well. There were other factors as well, so it was disappointing to all of us, but the best course of action was to not include it.

Plenty of room in backglass have a clear section for the loop doesn’t have to be a pin ball but maybe a hot wheels car with power driver like HSII plenty of options. Shame to miss Out on such an opportunity to make this an epic game!

#35 4 years ago

Can you post a flyer in hi res if there is one? Maybe the game card on the apron? I am curious about the rules, car collecting, and dinosaur battles etc. The only stuff I have seen so far is the machine. Thanks!

#36 4 years ago

Have you announced a streaming event, promotional video, or any other official footage of the game in action? I'd love to see a well produced video with the design team explaining the game, design considerations, features and rules, etc...

I frankly did not enjoy playing Houdini, have yet to play an Oktoberfest, but my family is mildly interested in this title.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I was REALLY looking forward to playing this at TPF!

Me too. TPF would have been my only show this year. So I look forward to some video or streams or something.

Quoted from rosh:

As you can see, games are rolling down the line . . .

Is that the new building ? Hard to tell. The original building is impressive too.

#38 4 years ago

(to follow...)

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Plenty of room in backglass have a clear section for the loop doesn’t have to be a pin ball but maybe a hot wheels car with power driver like HSII plenty of options. Shame to miss Out on such an opportunity to make this an epic game!

And once that hot wheels car is worn out, the function is dead. It's 99 cents for a home user to replace, but not very operator friendly.

#40 4 years ago

Looks beautiful, Love the theme. Great work AP

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

And once that hot wheels car is worn out, the function is dead. It's 99 cents for a home user to replace, but not very operator friendly.

Yeah, I doubt an actual HW car would last long if it's blasted through a loop over and over again a thousand times a day.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yeah, I doubt an actual HW car would last long if it's blasted through a loop over and over again a thousand times a day.

Could make for an awesome topper though.

#43 4 years ago

I was thinking loop the loop into subway,,,

Trap door for ball search function.

Pinball is easy from my keyboard!

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thanks for the reply Rosh, really appreciate the openness and honesty.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I’ve got plenty of vintage hot wheels and they hold the test of time .

#46 4 years ago

A loop ramp like in Hurricane is what I was thinking. Laying on its side. The vux looks like the Juggler from Hurricane as well. Can't wait to see it in action.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

A loop ramp like in Hurricane is what I was thinking. Laying on its side. The vux looks like the Juggler from Hurricane as well. Can't wait to see it in action.

I don't know that a designer should be taking any cues from Hurricane.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Could make for an awesome topper though.

I was thinking that NASCAR beer sign years ago with the cars running around it. Retheme it for Hot Wheels.

#49 4 years ago

Thanks for all the comments and questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Quoted from freddy:

I’ve got plenty of vintage hot wheels and they hold the test of time .

Not sure the newer ones are quite as robust as the old ones, but at $1 piece . . .

What I worth noting on this, is that the cars that are mounted in the game are done so with a click-lock type of velcro. This will allow you to easily swap out any of the cars in the game for ones in your collections or that you like. This was one of Balcer ideas from the start. Also, you will only find Hot Wheels originals in the game, as any thing else would require a separate license.

Quoted from LTG:

Me too. TPF would have been my only show this year. So I look forward to some video or streams or something.

Is that the new building ? Hard to tell. The original building is impressive too.

This is the old building, I guess impressive from the standpoint of how we squeezed everything in to be able to build machines. The line is being set up at the new location, but not sure how much the virus is impacting that, I've been juggling a million things and have not taken a trip out there to see. We have been moving stuff over there for a couple of weeks now, but not sure when they will make the big switch. I'm sure almost everyone will be happy when we move, things have been cramped here for a long time. I say 'almost' since for a few folks it will be a big change in commute time (for me it will be cut more than half)

Quoted from Viggin900:

Can you post a flyer in hi res if there is one? Maybe the game card on the apron? I am curious about the rules, car collecting, and dinosaur battles etc. The only stuff I have seen so far is the machine. Thanks!

I did upload the flyer yesterday, so it should be not he machine page. However, they do reduce the resolution I think on uploads.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

I frankly did not enjoy playing Houdini, have yet to play an Oktoberfest, but my family is mildly interested in this title.

Not every game is for everyone. Those who have played Houdini and Oktoberfest know they are very, very different games and Hot Wheels™ is very different from both of those and obviously was designed with families in mind. Our focus was not only to create a fast and flowing game, but a rule set that is very friendly to novices, with achievable goals that can be quite satisfying, but there are then the more challenging objectives for the enthusiast and advanced player.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

Have you announced a streaming event, promotional video, or any other official footage of the game in action? I'd love to see a well produced video with the design team explaining the game, design considerations, features and rules, etc...

We have not announced an event yet, but we are actively working on a few things to show off the game and talk about design, rules, features, etc. These were things we were originally planning for after TPF, so, we have had to adjust our plans. Also, as I've said previously, we are still submitting content to Mattel for approval, so that is factor in our timing. I would suspect that sometime next week I will have an update on when some of these things will be occurring.

I do want to mention that the machine that was at AEI had almost none of the music and basically no voice calls or SFX.

I'll post a high level overview of the rules shortly.

#50 4 years ago

Just the overall "look" of the machine is beautiful and is absolutely enough for me to be intrigued.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
There are 4,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hot-wheels-club-challenge-accepted?hl=anathematize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.