0DFC7152-3983-444C-B3E5-9552E6EC4D12 (resized).jpeg
FB28564D-E51C-49A8-9566-230A9CDDB135 (resized).jpeg
4D276B4A-5EB9-4E00-9E21-25111CC39D13 (resized).jpeg
F2DB819B-F630-4BDF-B400-2421BAECA2DB (resized).jpeg
Plunger Temporary Fix (resized).jpg
Default Shooter Tip Rest (resized).jpg
Default Shooter Tip Rest 2 (resized).jpg
IMG_6153 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 85.
#3401 2 years ago

I'm guessing rosh is correct with his answer -- my own Hot Wheels came with car targets that were too tightly gapped and needed adjustment.

But congrats on the new game, @RandomRetro... hope you love it even if it doesn't keep dishing out 16B scores!

#3402 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

One possibility is you have a stuck car target, which will make it easier to get to car chaos and higher scoring. Go into switch test make sure none of the car switches are stuck closed and then also bang the playfield with your hand and see if any of the car switches register. The other possibility is you triggered the Turbo Boost during car chaos, which would be great and timely use of Turbo.

This happened to me. Get a leaf switch adjuster tool from any pinball parts place (like $5) and check the car and RPM stand up targets. Adjust gently to increase the distance between the metal leafs if they look really close together so they don’t register multiple hits. I had to make adjustments to 2-3 of the stand-ups a couple of times in my first 100 games but they seem to have settled place since then.

FYI a pretty good score on Hot Wheels with factory settings is more like 5 or 6 billion.

#3403 2 years ago

This tool is what I use to adjust leaf spring switches.

20210603_094357.jpg20210603_094357.jpg

Its actually an IBM 082 card sorter, shute blade adjustment tool from the pre 1980s era, when 80 column punched cards existed. The shute blades, metal strips, had to be adjusted so as to not spear the card edge as the card went by at speed.

#3404 2 years ago

Need to get one of those tools. But did check and none of the car switches are stuck closed or seeming to fire with other playfield movement. But going to keep an eye on it for sure. Thanks for the pointers. Also will try to knowingly get boost and then car chaos

I did just get a 1.675B score which felt good. This game is getting into my dreams… glad it is the weekend.

#3405 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomRetro:

But going to keep an eye on it for sure.

You might take a peek at the wiring. Any lugs or solder joints close enough together to occasionally touch ?

LTG : )

#3406 2 years ago
Quoted from Weazel:

This tool is what I use to adjust leaf spring switches.

Or you could get one of these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

Robert

#3407 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the pointers and discussion. I have checked the car targets and none of the switches are closed, and can't seem to trigger them by putting some pressure on the playfield. That being said the yellow car target leaf switch does look too close. I will post a pic tonight if I can to the game. Going to pick up a leaf switch tool regardless cause I am sure it will get use. I got a couple 1B (1.9B once) scores and it was definitely caused by having boost going into Car Chaos. I am also going to get a tripod setup so I can capture some game play, which I think will also help me learn faster what is working for score, and what isn't. Hard to tell much while I am just trying not to drain.

#3408 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomRetro:

That being said the yellow car target leaf switch does look too close.

Try to flick it with your finger, to see if it activates and if it chatters.

Then roll a pinball into it at various speeds and see how fast the ball must be going to activate the switch and if the switch chatters.

Robert

#3409 2 years ago

So I've been running the beta code for the past week or so and have noticed a couple of bugs that I'm not sure have been reported yet. I notice every time the extra ball animations come up on the screen, they first appear green as if the animation isn't fully loaded by the time its being called. The second thing I've noticed is that the magnet in the back seems to fire every now and then randomly when it shouldn't.

#3410 2 years ago

Have some general maintenance questions for fellow Hot Wheels owners. What products do you use in order to clean your cabs? I've got some Novus 1 which I used to clean the plastic ramps but not sure what kind of product to get to clean and wax the playfield itself.

#3411 2 years ago
Quoted from jumpyg1258:

Have some general maintenance questions for fellow Hot Wheels owners. What products do you use in order to clean your cabs? I've got some Novus 1 which I used to clean the plastic ramps but not sure what kind of product to get to clean and wax the playfield itself.

Novus 1 is perfect! You only use Novus 2 if you want to remove ground in ball swirls or scratches as Novus 2 has abrasive in it which also removes the wax! You do Not need to remove old wax. Start by sucking up dirt with shop vac or blow out with compressed air. That gets most of it. Then Novus 1.
This stuff is awesome for cleaning rubbers and mechs and playfield too. I use both.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CP-100

#3412 2 years ago
Quoted from jumpyg1258:

I notice every time the extra ball animations come up on the screen, they first appear green as if the animation isn't fully loaded by the time its being called.

I believe this has been fixed.

Quoted from jumpyg1258:

The second thing I've noticed is that the magnet in the back seems to fire every now and then randomly when it shouldn't.

Can you give more detail about exactly what you’re observing?

Thanks for testing and reporting issues!

#3413 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Can you give more detail about exactly what you’re observing?
Thanks for testing and reporting issues!

Its pretty random, every now and then when the ball is travelling past the magnet it gets attracted by the magnet as if it was powered on, with sometimes getting fully stuck on like what happens at the start of a race.

Next time I get to playing the machine I'll see if it happens again and will note the time and then see if I can pull the logs.

#3414 2 years ago
Quoted from jumpyg1258:

Its pretty random, every now and then when the ball is travelling past the magnet it gets attracted by the magnet as if it was powered on, with sometimes getting fully stuck on like what happens at the start of a race.
Next time I get to playing the machine I'll see if it happens again and will note the time and then see if I can pull the logs.

magnet will pulse on left orbit shots if the tach is 5 (I think) or above which will accelerate it faster up the ramp, sometimes based on the speed of the ball it will do weird stuff if the timing is off.

Other than start of race or in loop crash MB, it should not be holding the ball. Might want to check that balls are not getting magnetized. But if you see it getting stuck, note accurate date/time and send us the logs (please check your games clock is set correctly).

#3415 2 years ago

I bought a HW with 100 games played. Saw that the magnet never worked. Wrote to support but did not receive a response. How long does it usually take to get an answer?

DSC_0524 (resized).JPGDSC_0524 (resized).JPG
#3416 2 years ago
Quoted from Olaa:

I bought a HW with 100 games played. Saw that the magnet never worked. Wrote to support but did not receive a response. How long does it usually take to get an answer?
[quoted image]

I see you opened a ticket late yesterday. I'm sure you will hear form Dave shortly and he will help get you back up and running. I suspect you might also have a blown FET.

#3417 2 years ago

Ok thanks

#3418 2 years ago

If anyone who doesn’t already own and is looking to add Hot Wheels to their AP collection I’ll be posting on later this evening. Looks great, plays great. Shaker, side art and topper. $6600

#3419 2 years ago

Hey everyone,
Debating over trading out my mando premium for a hot wheels. Wife is looking for something easier and she is interested in this game. I heard shots are tight however and wanted some input from those who own the game.

#3420 2 years ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Hey everyone,
Debating over trading out my mando premium for a hot wheels. Wife is looking for something easier and she is interested in this game. I heard shots are tight however and wanted some input from those who own the game.

Hot wheels is extremely approachable and playable for all levels of players. Guests who have little experience playing pinball have enjoyed playing mine.

#3421 2 years ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Hey everyone,

There is something for everyone in Hot Wheels. Shots are no tighter than other games and that can be cured by practice and tweaking the controls for flippers etc.

I have played Mando premium and it is fun but different than Hot Wheels. Suggest you both play it before you buy it if you can or at the very least watch some video play. I love it, own it and people who come over tend to gravitate towards it.

The tone is also different than Mando. Hot Wheels is based on the You Tube claymation series about the toys and it is very light hearted, tongue in cheek and more silliness. There are also a lot of different modes that you can either go for or choose not to and just shoot the shots you like for fun (which a lot of guests like to do).

Good luck!

#3422 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

There is something for everyone in Hot Wheels. Shots are no tighter than other games and that can be cured by practice and tweaking the controls for flippers etc.
I have played Mando premium and it is fun but different than Hot Wheels. Suggest you both play it before you buy it if you can or at the very least watch some video play. I love it, own it and people who come over tend to gravitate towards it.
The tone is also different than Mando. Hot Wheels is based on the You Tube claymation series about the toys and it is very light hearted, tongue in cheek and more silliness. There are also a lot of different modes that you can either go for or choose not to and just shoot the shots you like for fun (which a lot of guests like to do).
Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed reply. Playing it most likely won’t be possible so we have been watching videos as you suggested. I myself enjoy the mandalorian, but while my wife does like it she finds it a bit on the difficult side. For now our line up will consist of only 2 pins and the other pin we have is led zeppelin premium. I absolutely love LZ but my wife hates it haha. She loved the Munsters which I sold and now regret so I am trying to find her a pin she likes as much or more. That tone of silliness sounds perfect as she really enjoyed that aspect of the DP and the Munsters that we used to own. Having the multiple modes or just shooting whatever sounds like a step in the right direction. My wife liked the Munsters because she felt like she made something happen every game.

#3423 2 years ago

Hot Wheels is a very friendly family game that is silly and loads of fun. My wife doesn’t play it, but she did not object to the theme. The game is so awesome on so many levels. The shots are tight, but not frustrating like other games. The best part about the game is that it is super easy to understand the rules and my mind always changes what I want to go for. Sometimes I just want to do the race. Other times I go for battle modes. Then I switch my focus and try to raise the gears by hitting the RPM targets to build up the tachometer which results in Redline Mania which never gets old. The game is so awesome and it is my only pin in my house. And I play it constantly. It is super tough to get through all battles to face Draven. The other great thing about the game is there are so many unique multiballs. Loop crash is my favorite trying to hit the ball off the magnet emulating Criss Cross Crash. Victory in a race is so fun trying to hit all the shots if you make it to the checkered flag and it is timed to try to get the fastest time which can get highly addictive. Track Multiball is easy to start at first but then it gets tougher because you have to get more pieces to build the track. The game is coded so well and it also has co-op mode. If I had a choice which game is more fun I would have to say Hot Wheels over Mandalorian. I was on the fence too and for the value, level of craftsmanship, and enticing gameplay you can’t go wrong with an American Pinball Hot Wheels to add to your collection. And on top of that, I am the only person who has Hot Wheels in my area with eight people who already have Godzilla. My main reason to get an American Pinball game was I was impressed with their customer service, the art work was awesome, and the value and price point you can’t beat compared to other pinball companies. The game is built like a tank and the light show is mesmerizing without the cost of a boutique game. If you want to talk more about the game or have questions feel free to PM me on Pinside.

#3424 2 years ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Hey everyone,

American is a superior build quality compared to modern Stern. I have both, so I know. Still not happy about the Spike node board situation long term either. Also, every coin op has Mando!! Hotwheels in a gem not found easily(at least in northern Michigan). I would do it. Mine is bolted to the floor!

#3425 2 years ago
Quoted from Enron64:

Thanks for the detailed reply. Playing it most likely won’t be possible so we have been watching videos as you suggested. I myself enjoy the mandalorian, but while my wife does like it she finds it a bit on the difficult side. For now our line up will consist of only 2 pins and the other pin we have is led zeppelin premium. I absolutely love LZ but my wife hates it haha. She loved the Munsters which I sold and now regret so I am trying to find her a pin she likes as much or more. That tone of silliness sounds perfect as she really enjoyed that aspect of the DP and the Munsters that we used to own. Having the multiple modes or just shooting whatever sounds like a step in the right direction. My wife liked the Munsters because she felt like she made something happen every game.

You can make a lot of things happen every game in Hot Wheels - it just takes practice. For example: Look up some videos of Red Line Mania from Hot Wheels. Here is how to get the shot. Once you get it - your machine looks like it shuts down. It goes completely dark. You get some pulse sounds and then from the distance on the monitor you move into Red Line Mania multi ball mode and everything goes red and nuts. I think it is more fun than Munsters multi balls. I have played Munsters and agree it is a fun, silly game so she might like Hot Wheels. This is also just one multi ball example.

One of the reasons I sold my premium Avengers Infinity Quest machine (mostly for space for other machines - it was hard to part with it) is because my family and friends would gravitate from Avengers to Hot Wheels and stay on Hot Wheels. So that spoke volumes to me about casual pure fun factor since everyone else around me usually isn't a pinhead like we are.

Hope that helps.

At about 4:58 you can see things from the playing field perspective but you don't get the cool Red Line Mania beginning and the music has been jazzed up in subsequent code updates from this video.

#3426 2 years ago

My left flipper seems to get weak after about 15 minutes of play. Less than 100 plays since delivered. Any ideas what's causing it?

#3427 2 years ago
Quoted from jonboy71:

My left flipper seems to get weak after about 15 minutes of play. Less than 100 plays since delivered. Any ideas what's causing it?

Latest power supply in it ? EOS in it ? Move freely and a tiny bit of up and down play ( not back and forth ) ?

#3428 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Latest power supply in it ? EOS in it ? Move freely and a tiny bit of up and down play ( not back and forth ) ?

I'm sorry, I don't follow this part, "EOS in it ? Move freely and a tiny bit of up and down play ( not back and forth ) ?
LTG : )"

It is a replacement power supply, as my build had known power supply issues. That being said, the issue with the left flipper existed with both power supplies.

#3429 2 years ago
Quoted from jonboy71:

I don't follow this part, "EOS in it ?

End of stroke switch - does it have it and is it working ?

Quoted from jonboy71:

Move freely and a tiny bit of up and down play ( not back and forth ) ?

You'll need to learn some flipper basics. Butch's video will help.

#3430 2 years ago

How do I know if I have the latest power supply?

#3431 2 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

How do I know if I have the latest power supply?

Top of this thread has a picture gallery. Click on a likely picture - see description. Or go to american-pinball.com and check the store to see a picture of the latest power supply.

#3432 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Those look great, where did you get them?

They are a specialty product we use in the sign industry. Like a high end nut and spacer to add dimension to acrylic. I have considered trying to offer these to the Pinside community but I feel they may be to expensive.
They are available in 17 different colors and would most likely be 2.00-2.50 a piece.

#3433 2 years ago
Quoted from jonboy71:

My left flipper seems to get weak after about 15 minutes of play.

Does the coil feel warmer than the right?
If so, check the gap between the flipper pawl and bushing. This should be about 1/16-1/8”.
If it’s tight against the bushing, it will create friction-heat-and weaker power as you play.

#3434 2 years ago

I have had my HW for almost a year now. I have been putting up scores of ~1B on the regular however car chaos remains elusive. To my knowledge no one has ever even entered the mode on my machine. Is there something I should check out from a diagnostic standpoint or do I simply need to improve my game?

#3435 2 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

I have had my HW for almost a year now. I have been putting up scores of ~1B on the regular however car chaos remains elusive. To my knowledge no one has ever even entered the mode on my machine. Is there something I should check out from a diagnostic standpoint or do I simply need to improve my game?

Car chaos is about collecting enough cars (40 at default), and then collecting the mystery award to start it. The mystery award is based on hitting all four car targets, so you might start by checking that all four car targets are working correctly. Be sure to check with a ball, not your hand.

Keep i mind there is also a difficulty adjustment for earning it that you can lower down to get it more often.

#3436 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Car chaos is about collecting enough cars (40 at default), and then collecting the mystery award to start it. The mystery award is based on hitting all four car targets, so you might start by checking that all four car targets are working correctly. Be sure to check with a ball, not your hand.
Keep i mind there is also a difficulty adjustment for earning it that you can lower down to get it more often.

Thanks Rosh. My difficulty is set to factory default at the moment (Medium IIRC). I'll test that out tonight while I'm in there cleaning and waxing. Can you confirm that Novus 1 and cannuba wax is safe for this playfield? I have used Naphtha in the past for cleaning but I've heard that is a bit aggressive for these newer playfield clearcoats?

#3437 2 years ago

If you use carnauba wax, make sure it's the hardest stuff you can get... if it's soft like a skin cream, that means the wax has been softened with agents that could harm the playfield long-term.

#3438 2 years ago

Question for the group, I see PinballStar advertising a Hot Wheels Deluxe version for sale. What’s the difference between the standard and the ‘deluxe’ version?

#3439 2 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Question for the group, I see PinballStar advertising a Hot Wheels Deluxe version for sale. What’s the difference between the standard and the ‘deluxe’ version?

I don't know but suggest asking PinballStar. When the machine first came out it came with a shaker motor and topper as part of the initial run. Not sure if they are adding those in or what makes it Deluxe.

#3440 2 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

I believe deluxe refers to having a shaker, invisible glass, and side rails. But agree, I would confirm with PinballStar so you get what you want.

#3441 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

If you use carnauba wax, make sure it's the hardest stuff you can get... if it's soft like a skin cream, that means the wax has been softened with agents that could harm the playfield long-term.

Thanks. Is there a particular cleaning agent and wax you or AP recommend?

#3442 2 years ago

I don't know if AP has officially endorsed cleaning products -- @brenna98?

Personally, I use Novus #2 to clean all my games. If I'm waxing (which isn't often) I've historically used Mother's, something like this:

https://mothers.com/products/california-gold-pure-brazilian-carnauba-wax-step-3-05550

I've heard people swear by Blitz, though I have not tried it myself.

https://www.pinballlife.com/blitz-carnauba-paste-wax-12-ounce-jar.html

#3443 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I don't know if AP has officially endorsed cleaning products

Maybe I’ll make a general cleaning and waxing video later.

I do use blitz and have used mothers. Both good options.

#3444 2 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Maybe I’ll make a general cleaning and waxing video later.

Looking forward to it! Here is what I used: https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-gold-class-carnauba-plus-premium-paste-wax-g7014j-11-oz-paste
Does AP have a recommended interval (by 3 ball play count) for replacing balls and cleaning/waxing?

#3445 2 years ago

@budmanpinfan
I received my deluxe Hot Wheels a few weeks ago. Mine has a shaker, invisible glass, side rails, and the topper.

#3446 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Personally, I use Novus #2 to clean all my games.

Won't that scratch them up needlessly? I'd think Novus #1 would do the trick for everything but big scratches.

#3447 2 years ago

When I started collecting in the early 90s, Williams recommended Novus #2 for cleaning, and I've just stuck with that on all games... I've always been satisfied with the results, but YMMV.

#3448 2 years ago
Quoted from tsinger873:

BudManPinFan
I received my deluxe Hot Wheels a few weeks ago. Mine has a shaker, invisible glass, side rails, and the topper.

Glad you received your Hot Wheels. I've ordered a deluxe and paid in full in October. Hopefully I'll receive mine soon, or get some kind of update.

#3449 2 years ago
Quoted from smitherssp:

Looking forward to it! Here is what I used: https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-gold-class-carnauba-plus-premium-paste-wax-g7014j-11-oz-paste
Does AP have a recommended interval (by 3 ball play count) for replacing balls and cleaning/waxing?

Lots of good information in this thread. I would start with novus one unless you need to go with novus 2 to remove deeper scratches or Ball trails

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#3450 2 years ago

in the factory we use Wizards Mist and Shine for cleaning playfields, which is pretty similar to Novus1.

It is recommend to wipe down the playfield on a regular basis to remove any dust or grime. If you are not sure the last time you wiped down the game, it is overdue.

Changing balls can really vary from game to game, based on what the balls are hitting, e.g. how often is it hitting some kind of a metal edge. I recommend inspecting all balls each time your clean the game and replace if seeing any damage. Check for any scratches, dings, flat spots, etc. as well as making sure they aren not magnetized. When it doubt, replace them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
There are 4,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hot-wheels-club-challenge-accepted/page/69?hl=enron64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.