0DFC7152-3983-444C-B3E5-9552E6EC4D12 (resized).jpeg
FB28564D-E51C-49A8-9566-230A9CDDB135 (resized).jpeg
4D276B4A-5EB9-4E00-9E21-25111CC39D13 (resized).jpeg
F2DB819B-F630-4BDF-B400-2421BAECA2DB (resized).jpeg
Plunger Temporary Fix (resized).jpg
Default Shooter Tip Rest (resized).jpg
Default Shooter Tip Rest 2 (resized).jpg
IMG_6153 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 85.
#101 4 years ago

Hello everybody,

Michael Grant, here - the recently hired Sales and Marketing Manager for American Pinball.

I will be here to engage with you guys, listen for feedback and answer any questions I am able to.

First, a little bit about me:

This is my 3rd week with API and I've hit the ground running. I just moved out to Chicago from Central Maine 3 weeks ago. I drove the 19-hour drive in two days in my Tacoma with Maine PINBALL tags, along with my 16-year old cat Jack as my co-pilot, off to begin my dream job with American Pinball.

I played pinball off and on as a child, but as location pinball faded in my area, pinball retreated to my subconscious. Then one day in the 2010s, an episode of Ingenious Minds aired and they did a segment on my favorite competitive player from Vancouver, and suddenly I remembered pinball again.

That summer, I went to Canobee Lake Park in NH and found the pinball arcade. Played LOTR, got a multiball, and felt an adrenaline rush I hadn't experienced since my childhood. "I remember pinball!," I thought to myself. "Wow, how could I have forgotten?"

I hopped on YouTube and looked up various games I remembered enjoying; Twilight Zone, World Cup Soccer, Williams Slugfest, and others.

Then I found the enthusiast groups on Facebook and suddenly realized, "Hold up... I can have MY OWN pinball machine?!" Within a year I had acquired more than 10 games.

I was a regular New England Pinball League participant and tournament player for five years, competed in Pinburgh twice, and had the priveledge to play in two separate state championships (RI & MA).

I am so proud and excited to be able to promote our hobby and represent American Pinball.

But enough about me, what about you?

Seriously though-- Hot Wheels. Over the past few weeks I've been getting to know the game, I've watched it progress, and I can tell you as a pinball fan, I am confident this game will speak for itself. It leaves me with that "one more game" feeling. Yes, I am biased, but this is my personal opinion, and if I like it as much as I do, I know I won't be the only one.

Hot Wheels pinball is greater than the sum of its parts. Pinball is more than just complicated mechanisms; it's a tactile, engaging, and immersive experience. The rules of HW, sound package, animations, colorful art (inner cabinet art is standard), lightshows, shot geometry, (& shaker motor), all work together to add to the gameplay experience and bring the Hot Wheels City-universe to life.

I don't need to sell you on it. The game will speak for itself.

So stay tuned, and check it out when you can.

I look forward to updating you guys on all the latest happenings at American Pinball.

Peace, Love & Pinball

-Michael

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

Michael Grant, here - the recently hired Sales and Marketing Manager for American Pinball.

Hi Michael

Welcome aboard. You get to work with some really great guys. Dhaval, Joe Balcer, Josh, Ferret, and others I'm forgetting.

Best wishes and every success to you and American Pinball !

LTG : )

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Quoted from Crile1:
However, I hope that is just represented in the battle modes.

Primarily, yes.

I thought about this a little more and wanted to clarify my response a bit.

Hot Wheels -- the pinball game -- is set in the world of Hot Wheels City, period. You'll see the City shown prominently right from the get-go, as we visit different cool locales in the City when no particular modes/multiballs/etc are active in the game. Hot Wheels City has lots of fun and funny places. (I think the pizza shop is my favorite, I want that!) Even if a player doesn't know anything about the animated series, we think they'll love the fun and humor and Hot Wheels-iness of it all.

The reason I responded the way I did before is that when you start a Battle, we take you much deeper into a particular time and place in Hot Wheels City, where you'll be fighting to stop one of the creatures that's trying to wreck it all. So during these Battles, you'll be more centered on the Battle sites, hear more dialogue, etc... basically a more intense, focused experience.

Hopefully this makes sense... the design team has really had a great time using the Hot Wheels City content to build a super fun pinball experience. As you might guess, we've been watching and listening to this content a lotttttt over the past few months, and it hasn't gotten old... I suspect it'll stay fresh for y'all, too.

Can't wait for everyone to play the game!

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Timing perfect?
The game is aimed at location. Locations are closing and dropping like flies, due to Corona.
Seems to me, the Timing Couldnt be worse, but maybe you can explain?

Sure,I never heard it was for locations? None of the pinball places in my city have thrown in a towel? It is perfect timing because the reveals that were suppose to be at TPF didnt happen and this stands out more because it was early. Don't be doom and gloom, we'll get out of this and pinball will be played again.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Sadly I may have to wait until next year. With TPF cancelled, I don't have plans for any other shows this year. ( even if things return to normal ).

So hopefully TPF goes on next year. I get sent there. And I can see Hot Wheels and my American Pinball buddies there !

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I thought about this a little more and wanted to clarify my response a bit.
Hot Wheels -- the pinball game -- is set in the world of Hot Wheels City, period. You'll see the City shown prominently right from the get-go, as we visit different cool locales in the City when no particular modes/multiballs/etc are active in the game. Hot Wheels City has lots of fun and funny places. (I think the pizza shop is my favorite, I want that!) Even if a player doesn't know anything about the animated series, we think they'll love the fun and humor and Hot Wheels-iness of it all.
The reason I responded the way I did before is that when you start a Battle, we take you much deeper into a particular time and place in Hot Wheels City, where you'll be fighting to stop one of the creatures that's trying to wreck it all. So during these Battles, you'll be more centered on the Battle sites, hear more dialogue, etc... basically a more intense, focused experience.
Hopefully this makes sense... the design team has really had a great time using the Hot Wheels City content to build a super fun pinball experience. As you might guess, we've been watching and listening to this content a lotttttt over the past few months, and it hasn't gotten old... I suspect it'll stay fresh for y'all, too.

Sounds similiar to the immersive experience in Jurasic Park with saving people,caging and feeding dinosaurs etc. Not just another racing car theme. I'll have to check out this show.

#107 4 years ago

Hmmm...Dialed In! 2, Chaos in Hot Wheels City

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Gold Wings has a Hot Wheels loop.

Could you please provide the proof of that? We would all like to see it.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

No, it does not have a full loop.
Here is a picture of a real Hot Wheels loop for the uninformed that want to bitch and complain for the sake of doing so without knowing what a Hot Wheels loop the loop is.[quoted image]

I already brought this up in another thread. Rather than how you put it, it is really more of a disappointment that probably the most iconic and memorable feature of Hotwheels didn’t make its way into the pin. This doesn’t make the game bad or undesirable, but an obvious oversight/omission that opens the pin up to questioning “why not?”.

As with all new pins, one should reserve true criticism until seen and played in person, but given the current situation thousands of us will miss out on the opportunity to do so with this game. The theme and artwork look great, but the experience will be the ultimate test.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Could you please provide the proof of that? We would all like to see it.

F269FF0C-69C0-4CE5-92A5-51E5EF8BC919 (resized).jpegF269FF0C-69C0-4CE5-92A5-51E5EF8BC919 (resized).jpeg
#111 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I already brought this up in another thread. Rather than how you put it, it is really more of a disappointment that probably the most iconic and memorable feature of Hotwheels didn’t make its way into the pin. This doesn’t make the game bad or undesirable, but an obvious oversight/omission that opens the pin up to questioning “why not?”.
As with all new pins, one should reserve true criticism until seen and played in person, but given the current situation thousands of us will miss out on the opportunity to do so with this game. The theme and artwork look great, but the experience will be the ultimate test.

rosh addressed a loop feature in great detail in post #29 of this thread.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

[quoted image]

Well shit, that is a true loop the loop. I stand corrected. That looks like shit , but it's there.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Agreed, seeing the loop on Gold Wings, it should have made it on the game.

Doesn't matter. I love the Hot Wheels theme, I just want to play the damn thing. I am not far from Streamwood, I need to go knock on A.P.'s door!

Here it is for me. Hot Wheels was/is such an innocent toy for kids and it brings back awesome memories. For me, at 48 years old, it's pure nostalgia. Not a kiddie theme. If I like the machine, I can assure you all that will be my next NIB purchase at the end of the year when my accountant tells me the business has to spend some money. It goes right in the waiting room for customers. Hot Wheels in an Automotive Shop? You betcha!

You know how restaurants give kids crayons and a kids menu to color? I give kids of an option of coloring book with crayons or a brand new Hot Wheels car. Either way, it's theirs to keep. It's a cheap expense to keep kids happy and parents wanting to come to my shop. Guess which I always run out of 1st?

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Well shit, that is a true loop the loop. I stand corrected. That looks like shit , but it's there.

It does look like shit indeed.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Because its a 33 year old design. Camaaan!

#116 4 years ago

Though the loop would be a cool feature, I'm hoping to see how some orange track could look in the game. If there's enough clearance, a mod where a piece of orange track is installed above the left ramp to act as a "dual level" ramp for the VUK return could possibly work. Perhaps up the orange ramp entry as well, heck, even the outlane drains against the apron. The orange track is synonymous with Hot Wheels to me. Either way, can't wait to play this.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Though the loop would be a cool feature, I'm hoping to see how some orange track could look in the game. If there's enough clearance, a mod where a piece of orange track is installed above the left ramp to act as a "dual level" ramp for the VUK return could possibly work. Perhaps up the orange ramp entry as well, heck, even the outlane drains against the apron. The orange track is synonymous with Hot Wheels to me. Either way, can't wait to play this.

While aesthetically I understand your point, I just doubt it would work from a reliability standpoint. How many threads are on Pinside absolutely excoriating manufactures for defects, faulty mechs/toys (looking at you, Stranger Things), etc.? I'll take reliable over "looks pretty but breaks" any day.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I think it would be easy enough to refine the design and dress it up a bit and make it look like the orange/blue track. Especially if the loop began or finished below the playfield.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Gold Wings has a Hot Wheels loop.

Good point but it is enclosed at the sides and you can't really see the ball so that would not really give you the same Hot Wheels loop d loop visual.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Because its a 33 year old design. Camaaan!

And it's on a Gottlieb System 80.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

While aesthetically I understand your point, I just doubt it would work from a reliability standpoint. How many threads are on Pinside absolutely excoriating manufactures for defects, faulty mechs/toys (looking at you, Stranger Things), etc.? I'll take reliable over "looks pretty but breaks" any day.

Its a static metal loop. What could break?

#122 4 years ago

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that Joe Balcer wanted to get a vertical loop into Oktoberfest too (for the Corkscrew Coaster) and it wasn't doable. I think it's easier said than done, getting it to look good, feel good, etc.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I’ve got plenty of vintage hot wheels and they hold the test of time .

My dm still has the original 2 hot wheels in it 16 years later

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Now that it is a summer show, I guess there is a shot. Hard for anyone to predict what will happen between now and then. I know we have a couple of great distributors who do that show, so if it happens, I'm sure we will have games there. I've been to that show two of the last three years and it is one of my favorites -- part of that is my love of Taco Mac's buffalo wings, having survived on those back in college. Just to show how old I am, back then we could get 50 wings delivered, for $9.99, of course wings were not nearly as popular then as they are now.

LOVE having you at SFGE!, cant wait to play it. If its even HALF the game that Oktoberfest is, it will be a hit!

#125 4 years ago

If life gets back to normal, I would very much consider heading to SFGE and picking up a show special for the location I have some pins in Knoxville. I've been wanting to switch out a couple of them. As it stands now, Token is closed for COVID-19 and who knows what the future holds into early summer...

Anyhow, great looking game. Looking forward to playing it sometime!

#126 4 years ago

Hey guys,

Here are a few more photos of the playfield.

Inner cabinet art is standard.

The back panel is 3D-lenticular, but this effect doesn't photograph as well as it looks in person.

Enjoy

-Michael
Detail #10 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #10 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #11 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #11 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #12 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #12 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #13 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #13 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #14 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #14 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #15 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #15 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #2 Copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #2 Copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #4 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #4 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #5 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #5 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #6 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #6 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #7 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #7 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #8 copywrite (resized).jpgDetail #8 copywrite (resized).jpg

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

Here are a few more photos of the playfield.

Thank you Michael. That is looking great. Your AP crew did good on this.

#128 4 years ago

Looks great!!

#129 4 years ago

Looks terrific!
Can't wait to play it.

#130 4 years ago

I really want to like this game but man that spinning car! Lack luster design to say the least. I mean looks like junk yard scrap pile parts! I am sure the after market moders will make it more appealing . So much potential with this title yet just seems to have missed the mark.
I played/collected Hot Wheels in 68-69 and the early 70’s would have loved this game if it reflected that era. Dinosaurs are cool but we have several JP options to fill that nitch.
I was excited for this title being a car guy,but just not feeling it! I am not trying to bash AP.
The game is colorful and attractive I have no issues with the display placement. Hoping some of these things get addressed and I get motivated to get back on board.
AP best of luck with sales,

#131 4 years ago

Looks like the "loop" VUK has a bend at the bottom to send the ball down the ramp towards the flipper faster than just dumping it up there like a normal VUK. Cool idea and should help speed up flow, looking forward to seeing the whole thing in action and actually playing it.

#132 4 years ago

Those are some purdy colors! And with each new set of pictures it seems like there is something new to discover. I’m wondering what is to the right of the right spinner - could it be that is a drop target? with a lane behind it?

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Those are some purdy colors! And with each new set of pictures it seems like there is something new to discover. I’m wondering what is to the right of the right spinner - could it be that is a drop target? with a lane behind it?

That is indeed a drop target!
Appears to act as a roadblock to the
ball lock.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

That is indeed a drop target!
Appears to act as a roadblock to the
ball lock.

Isn't there one that blocks the shot to the VUK too?

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Isn't there one that blocks the shot to the VUK too?

You may very well be right, but it appears to be down.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Looks like the "loop" VUK has a bend at the bottom to send the ball down the ramp towards the flipper faster than just dumping it up there like a normal VUK. Cool idea and should help speed up flow, looking forward to seeing the whole thing in action and actually playing it.

I actually was very happy to see that. Not because it helps guide the ball along the ramp path, but because it will save that ramp considerably over the long run from getting destroyed by the ball slamming down.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Quoted from desertT1:

I actually was very happy to see that. Not because it helps guide the ball along the ramp path, but because it will save that ramp considerably over the long run from getting destroyed by the ball slamming down.

Was done that way for both of those reasons.

And yes, both 'saucers' are blocked by drop targets. They are a controllable drops, so when you see them come down you know you want to shoot there, knocking them will progress your towards either a Creature Battle or Track Multiball.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Was done that way for both of those reasons.
And yes, both 'saucers' are blocked by drop targets. They are a controllable drops, so when you see them come down you know you want to shoot there, knocking them will progress your towards either a Creature Battle or Track Multiball.

Drop targets with a purpose.
Nice touch.

#139 4 years ago

Poor Hot Wheels, under different circumstances this thread should have been, stayed on fire.
I love the looks of this thing, great work AP !

#140 4 years ago

This looks awesome. Can't wait to flip it! From what I am seeing...this will be right up my alley. Love the colors, layout looks fast and flowy with some unique shots and features. Rules sound fun with plenty to do. Fun theme...I grew up on old school Hot Wheels as well, but I love the idea of battling dinosaurs as well (and I have both JP machines already....can never have to many dinos). This is great!

#141 4 years ago

The 3D backpanel and offset RPM targets I have never seen before? If it's been done before I don't recall but breathes new life into a game. It also seems to have been awhile since I saw 4 pop bumpers on a new machine? Exciting!

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I saw 4 pop bumpers on a new machine? Exciting!

Sorry, while it looks like 4, only three, the one on the far right is not a pop, just a plastic covering the kicker coil.

the stepped RPM targets are very interesting to shoot and feed into the risk/reward aspect of the RPM targets increasing the tach, which increases all scoring.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Sorry, while it looks like 4, only three, the one on the far right is not a pop, just a plastic covering the kicker coil.

There's no fourth pop bumper? Then I'm out!

(Of course, I was never "in" anyway. So never mind. Game looks nice, though.)

#144 4 years ago

When this does get streamed for the first time can I make a request? single player games for the first handful of games.

When a new game is shown and we got to multiplayer games right away it is harder to follow. You get 4 beginnings and then by ball 2 everyone is at a different level of progress. Makes it really hard to follow. The first stream(s) are a showcase and reveal, not a battle.

I want to see somebody playing the game, shooting shots, and get a feel for what a normal profession to the different aspects might feel like.

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

When this does get streamed for the first time can I make a request? single player games for the first handful of games.
When a new game is shown and we got to multiplayer games right away it is harder to follow. You get 4 beginnings and then by ball 2 everyone is at a different level of progress. Makes it really hard to follow. The first stream(s) are a showcase and reveal, not a battle.
I want to see somebody playing the game, shooting shots, and get a feel for what a normal profession to the different aspects might feel like.

Given social distancing and the situation here in Illinois, it is possible first stream is me alone in my basement

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

the stepped RPM targets are very interesting to shoot and feed into the risk/reward aspect of the RPM targets increasing the tach, which increases all scoring.

Yeah, I was wondering 'bout that.
? answered.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Given social distancing and the situation here in Illinois, it is possible first stream is me alone in my basement

HEY! NO sad face.
Wish first stream was gonna be me in my basement.
Consider it more opportunity and less obligation.

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not an entirely bad thing. Other than you won't be running around in your shorts or jammies, just in case you get on camera.

There isn't a lot of excitement out there right now. You could brighten many peoples day by having something to see.

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not an entirely bad thing. Other than you won't be running around in your shorts or jammies, just in case you get on camera.
There isn't a lot of excitement out there right now. You could brighten many peoples day by having something to see.

'Atta boy LTG
Very positive thoughts sir.
We all need to chin up!

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

And a happier person u will not find. Perfect. Just u a good camera and the game. No costumes and 4 players and all that crap. Lets do it. I with ya. Oh as long as I don't have to help what so ever.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Munroe Falls, OH
$ 61.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 4,228 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hot-wheels-club-challenge-accepted/page/3?hl=majicman110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.