• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 51 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1308 votes by 788 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3322 (resized).jpg
391735939_806303518171699_5751947203509962681_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4605 (resized).jpeg
FP2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lovef2k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2334 2 years ago

I haven't been following this thread lately but would like to post about my HS HT job. This started with 2 HS games. I bought a nice game in 2010, nice cab and has been solid for years board wise. I swapped in a NOS cleared PF this passed summer. About 6 years ago I bought another HS for a great price but PF was trashed and dirty, cab so so. When I learned of the HT I decided this game would be a good candidate.

I did the usual prep for the HT, sanded pf to bare wood. Cleared with Spray max 2K clear. When checking the HT for fitment I was a little discouraged as some of the key points did not line up. The worst part was at the buffer wires and flipper rest pins. If I did line them up, the rest of the HT was off even more. I sent it back to OE to have it checked to see if it was miss-punched but it wasn't and they sent it back to me.

My solution was to fill the holes for the buffers and rest pins, paint black over them and drill new holes to re-locate them. Many of the inserts were off as well. I think mainly because this game is an early one, within the first 500 or so. I figured there are many variations from then to more recent games.

Opening the holes for the star roll-overs is a job that can't be rushed. With advice from a guy that has done many of these, I used a small Dremel drum sander attachment and went slow until I got to the edges of the wood. He said to go a tad larger so that the HT doesn't pop or buckle around the insert.

Mostly all the holes were about half way off. This is easy to correct with patients and the right tools. In my Dremel bit hoard I found one spiral type but that would cut the HT without tearing it up. I don't know what the bit is called or where I got it.

I have made nice progress in the last few weekends.

P2200259 (resized).JPGP2200259 (resized).JPGP2200260 (resized).JPGP2200260 (resized).JPGP2200261 (resized).JPGP2200261 (resized).JPGP2200262 (resized).JPGP2200262 (resized).JPGP2200263 (resized).JPGP2200263 (resized).JPGP2200265 (resized).JPGP2200265 (resized).JPGP2200266 (resized).JPGP2200266 (resized).JPGP2200267 (resized).JPGP2200267 (resized).JPG
#2336 2 years ago

It's funny because mine came with it but I never tried it out. BTW the newer version of the 400 which is now the 4000 feels like junk compared to the old one. Not as smooth and the motor speed is all over the place when set under 15k rpm. It just sounds cheap and might die any second.

#2349 2 years ago
Quoted from A1k71:

[quoted image]

If there is any wood showing around inserts you can outline the insert with a black Sharpie or paint before dropping the HT down. If using paint put it on thin.

#2363 2 years ago
Quoted from A1k71:

I didn't have to do that, the alignment was precisely done, put it firmly taped on the bottom part and result was perfect.
Also with gates, spinner, posts, metal rails guides etc. you need a perfect alignment on the top part too.
It just take few extra minutes to carefully put it on place.
At the end the 95-97% of all the holes where perfectly in place, just 2 or 3 needed to be enlarged a little bit

You got lucky. That's not always the case as w my HS. More than 50% of the holes were about half way off and I had to relocate the buffer wires below the flippers and the flipper rest pins. I had wood showing on 8 inserts. It's coming together now but it has been a lot of work.

1 week later
#2403 2 years ago

I dry sanded the inserts on my HS. I didn't wet sand in fear of raising the wood grain. I first started with 220 to remove the artwork and then when to 320 and then 400 on the entire PF. For the inserts I started at 600 and went all the way to 3000. Since the inserts on HS are jeweled or facetted, I wanted them to pop after clearing them with Spray Max and they did. The HT has such a glossy and perfect finish, I wanted the inserts to look the best they could be.

#2405 2 years ago

I guess it depends on your approach and how you do things. My inserts were still hazy before the clear coat. After clear the inserts they looked nice and clear. It's actually surprising how they change with clear coat. Non faceted inserts will probably need more attention.

3 weeks later
#2474 2 years ago

HS Hardtop done and I'm very pleased w the results. At first fitment I was skeptical. I even sent it back to get it checked out. I did have to relocate the flipper rest pins and buffer wires below the flippers. Many holes were off but with the right tools and patients, it all worked out. Most of the holes are covered by posts or something, so they are mostly hidden when all done.

I did a couple minor lighting mods, one was adding flex LED's under the star rollovers and then I added a translucent tray under the saucer and lit that up as well.

I can't say weather or not this is an easier job than a straight up pf swap. I guess it depends on the title. This game also needed a ton of work under the PF as far as mechanical parts and lamp sockets. So this turned into a partial restore.

P3270297 (resized).JPGP3270297 (resized).JPGP3270298 (resized).JPGP3270298 (resized).JPGP3270299 (resized).JPGP3270299 (resized).JPGP3270300 (resized).JPGP3270300 (resized).JPGP3270301 (resized).JPGP3270301 (resized).JPGP3270302 (resized).JPGP3270302 (resized).JPG
#2476 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

That looks beautiful - quite jealous! I'm getting re-acquainted with a High Speed at my local bowling center after not playing it for 20+ years. Now I want one! Nice touch with the red powder coated ball habitrails!

thanks! It's funny, the first time I played HS it was also at a bowling alley. It was with a girl I was dating at the time and we went there just to play pins. That was 1986. Great memories!

I love the candy red, I have seen the habitrails done in green and blue as well but I like the red more.

HS comes up often, I'm sure you will find one.

1 month later
#2483 1 year ago
Quoted from Galdaien:

I tried to scratch at a corner on the bottom, definitely no film there. I'll try cleaning it more, just didn't want to risk screwing up anything on the backside.

There is no adhesive on the back side of the inserts. If you peeled the top protective film and you are seeing fine scratches or hazing I would not lay it down. It may have gotten damaged in shipping or the way it was stored or defective. I would contact OE first. Once that HT is applied, there's no turning back and if the inserts are screwed, you will never be happy with it.

Side note, don't remove the top film until you have most of the PF reassembled. I just trim off pieces at a time where I need to. Also make sure there is no debris on the PF before lying it down. Anything that is floating around may end up being trapped between the clear sections and the PF and be trapped for good. Don't used compressed air near the HT as this may stir up more dirt and dust, just keep wiping the PF with a tack cloth.

11 months later
2 weeks later
#3155 11 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Coming along nicely. Just need to see if I can get the inserts looking a little better before clearing them. These have been sanded with 400 grit. About to go finer (800, 1200) just to see.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Also the crazing (crackles) in the translucent inserts will still be visible after clearing. I saw this on a EBD that I did. Best to replace those inserts before hand if you want really perfect results.

2 weeks later
#3163 10 months ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I’m on board for this one!

Sweet. Would be an easy one if it weren't for the 11 star roll overs.

#3164 10 months ago
Quoted from Skidave:

It has been suggested many times. We could only hope because 10K were made and just about all of them are blown out. I get it though, not the most popular title.

That's true. I only bought it bc it was cheap.

1 week later
#3166 10 months ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

I am doing my first hardtop on a Taxi. I have a question for someone that has more experience with the hardtops.
I have the playfield sanded and about ready. So I laid the hardtop down to test fit the alignment. I noticed that the black print on inserts seems more transparent than I anticipated. Is this normal on all hardtops, or does mine have in issue with the print? I’ve noticed where the black looks good there is white behind the black. Anything that is just black seems grainy and too transparent to me. But I have nothing to compare it to so I don’t know if this is normal for a hardtop.
I emailed the company Friday but haven’t heard back. I know it’s a holiday weekend so I thought I would just get someone’s experienced opinion. If it’s not normal I’m sure they will exchange it for me.
Thanks. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are you asking about alignment issues where you are getting crescent moons around inserts? I'm not understanding your plight. I have only done one HT. Anywhere there was bare wood showing I painted black on the pf to help hide it. Not all PFs are the same, always some variations.

#3169 10 months ago

Oh I see it now. I wouldn't fret, OE has great customer service.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lovef2k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=lovef2k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.