• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jcar302.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#664 5 years ago

Anyone have any issues with a space shuttle hardtop and a repro ramp?
I plan on doing one very shortly, but I've read the repro ramp needs routing on an original playfield due to the ramp thickness (I ran into this on taxi a while back), so shall I assume now the hardtop and the original need to be routed?

8 months later
#1161 4 years ago

I think diner should be on the list. Seems like they are either excellent or beat.

11 months later
#1809 3 years ago
Quoted from mathewrs:

You've got Comet. How about Cyclone next??

Are cyclone's really blown out this often?
I've had a few of them, none were really very worn.
Probably seen 20+ in person too.
Little bit of wear by the lanes at the top, but nearly none any where else.

It's not a knock, it's just i'm wondering whether some people are really picky and want perfection or is there a lot of cyclones out there that truly need hard tops.

2 months later
#1878 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Waiting for its new hardtop
[quoted image]

Does this machine really need a hard top?
That playfield doesn't look bad.

3 months later
#2029 2 years ago

I could have sworn they said that f14 is not happening.

2 months later
#2140 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sigh...
We'd have a lot more playfield options if they weren't duplicating each other's efforts

I think the issue for some of us is that cpr has typically made a run of playfields and when they ran out there was no time frame for another run. I wanted to do a high speed years ago, didn't preorder and they sold out.
Hard tops just seem to be available if you want them.
It would appear cpr has much more in stock now, but is the damage already done?
I think one could argue that their lack of inventory itself helped create hard tops.

I'm open to using either one on my beater space shuttle. My kids love it as is, but it's hard for me to look at.
If i'm not mistaken on system 9 and older there is much more stapled to the bottom of the playfield, that could be the decision make for me.

8 months later
#2511 1 year ago

What are you guys considering a bad or good install?
Is it really that much more than sanding and clear coating the inserts?

4 months later
#2772 1 year ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Please, please PLEASE take this somewhere else. The back and forth is by now waaaaaay beyond relevant.

Agreed, i come here to read to see what is going on with hardtops.
If you don't like hardtops and will never use one, i don't see the point in reading this thread at all.

Quoted from ROMM:

Thanks for all of the awesome info! But for someone who is just a hobbyist that will have a machine in his home not getting near the plays as a machine on location, would all of this work really be necessary? Sanding the playfield completely of all paint, resanding multiple times and then clear coating?

For me, common sense i believe suggests sanding the whole playfield, it was beat in the first place so you have to assume the rest of the paint will eventually want to come up.

What i don't understand is clear coating bare wood. Not sure why i would want to stick the playfield to yet another type of finish instead of just bare wood.

#2773 1 year ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Thanks for all of the awesome info! But for someone who is just a hobbyist that will have a machine in his home not getting near the plays as a machine on location, would all of this work really be necessary? Sanding the playfield completely of all paint, resanding multiple times and then clear coating?

For me, common sense i believe suggests sanding the whole playfield, it was beat in the first place so you have to assume the rest of the paint will eventually want to come up.
What i don't understand is clear coating bare wood. Not sure why i would want to stick the playfield to yet another type of finish instead of just bare wood.

1 month later
#2909 1 year ago

Do you really need to disassemble and break down a cab to do decals or is this just a pinball restorer ocd thing?
I would think you could remove legs (put it on saw horses), remove the coin door, rails and any of the bolts and do the work.
I'd guess you could even remove one head bracket at a time for doing each side.
I have a set for AFM, not sure the brand, i don't think they are radcals.
But out of all the projects i enjoy doing, i'm not thinking the decals will be one of them.
So the easier the better (if these are indeed easier).

#2917 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Depends. If you want it to look ok to good, you need to dissassemble the cabinet, strip off the old decals, plaster and sand etc.
If you are happy with a bad to mediocre result, you can put the decals on top of the old ones - but everything (and I mean everything) will show through.
Tears in the old decals, scrapes, screwholes, nicks, dents ... everything.
The decals themselves will do nothing to hide blemishes.

I think you are misunderstanding what i'm asking.
I'm not suggesting to leave the old decals and not fill and smooth.
I'm just asking why the machine needs to come apart to do it.

1 month later
#2941 1 year ago

Does it really look that bad in person? Pics look like close ups, but for me it doesn't look bad.
It's a hard top (which i am a fan of), so does it really need perfection?

1 week later
#2988 1 year ago

I've been tiring kicking a hard top for my beater space shuttle for years.
My little guy loves the game, has no clue it's mostly bare wood with insert decals (not done by me). Plays just fine for him.

I read all your guys posts and i have my days where i want to do a hard top, but others where i think a playfield would be better for me.
Not because i'm some kind of purist, more so because a playfield swap is just mechanical work to me. It sounds like a hardtop is a little more detail orientated and the whole glue lifting, debris and dirt in the inserts, polish or don't polish, clear or don't clear makes me rethink the idea.

I know space shuttle playfields are out of stock, but i'll guess they will do another run at some point.

I'd be curious on how many hardtops come out great and how many are mediocre or fail.

#2991 1 year ago

To be clear guys, I'm not worried about how a hardtop plays, we are playing on roughed up wood now, lol. More worried about doing it right and having it come out well. Where that's not a worry for me for a playfield swap. Though I really don't want to invest another grand plus plastics in this machine.

#2999 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I was going to do my EBD and Taxi with a hardtop but seen a few issues and I don’t like taking risks especially with my time, I ended up doing touch ups on EBD and insert decals for Taxi with a playfield protector on both. Very happy with them, play great.
I would end up in a rage and smashing the hell out of them if the hardtop started lifting, they do look great though.

If your machines were fine with touch ups and insert decals, i'm not sure the hardtop was the solution anyway.
There have been a few times here where people want to do hardtops on decent pins, which makes no sense to me.
My space shuttle is like 75% bare wood win the middle, there is no touch up in the world that would fix this.

#3001 1 year ago

That looks like it was mylar removal damage.

2 weeks later
#3031 1 year ago

Last time i checked cpr does not have space shuttle playfields and there is no eta.

2 weeks later
#3059 1 year ago
Quoted from wastedthelight:

No turning back now! Wood is done, just have to smooth out the inserts then put a seal coat on. Hoping to install the hardtop next weekend![quoted image][quoted image]

Do you have this playfield lock in a rockwell jaw horse?

I have one of those and have never even given it a thought.

I've had my chop saw and platform in it so long that i barely remembered what it actually was, lol.

1 month later
#3111 1 year ago

I'm sure the licensing will make that difficult.

3 weeks later
#3129 1 year ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

Sorcerer hardtop would be cool. Those playfields almost always get worn.

I had actually thought they already had that one, obviously i was wrong.
Makes sense to have all the system 9's, most got beat to hell.

3 months later
#3212 9 months ago

I think hockeymutt was a little aggressive with his tone, but it is somewhat true in the pinball and arcade hobby about the complaining.
Many of the products people need and buy for arcades and pinball are sort of trials. None appear to be perfect but they are far better than nothing. It's competition that breeds quality and there just isn't enough demand to create real competition.
It's awesome and says a lot about outside edge that they fixed the taxi hardtop, but if they didn't, it still would have been drastically better than a blown out playfield.
I see the guys on klov whine all the time about This Old Game art. They take a long time and it's kinda open ended when you will get your art, but they made me an impossible to find bezel for a game, yes took 3 months, but i wasn't getting it anywhere else, so...

I so want to buy a space shuttle hardtop, have the ramp, need the plastics. I probably have one of the worst blown out space shuttles out there. All wood with decals on the field and plays fine, lol (i didn't do it).
Just can't get involved in basement dweller projects in the summer and i don't want the hard top to sit for months.
But it will happen.

1 week later
#3223 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Mentioned before data east batman would.be a nice choice.

That's probably another one that would need licensing.

1 month later
#3253 7 months ago
Quoted from Apex:

Pretty much the adhesive on the Hardtop is good to go at room temperature. I did mine at I didn't design or select the adhesive they use, but generally speaking as long as you aren't much colder than room temperature I wouldn't expect any issues. When they say it is aggressive they mean it. The adhesive will stick the instant it touches the wood which is why the alignment prior to pulling the backing off is so important. If you are nice and flat (no excessive sanding to create low spots) the adhesion will be good.

What do you guys use an alignment points on space shuttle?
One of the reasons i will usually pay more for an arcade control panel overlay that has cutouts for buttons is easy alignment (generally speaking the better art companies usually have the holes precut).
As the weather turns i'm getting closer to this project.

Also, what's up with the plastics coming soon on outside edge's website? Be nice to get both at the same time, so for best price i'm seeing on space shuttle plastics is $170. I already have the new ramp installed.

#3256 7 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Not specific to Space Shuttle but in general for any hardtop installation: align with the inserts. Pay no attention to the dimples in the hardtop that are supposed to align with cut outs or holes for screws/etc as those can be fixed post installation with a dremel or xacto. Screw hole location can and does vary from pin to pin (think 1970's / 1980's manufacturing QA and line consistency in those days). You cannot fix inserts once the hardtop is laid down. So make sure all of your inserts are aligned properly before clamping down and starting to remove the adhesive backing.
Another note on inserts: highly advisable to paint in very wide keylines around each insert before laying down the hardtop. That will help if there is a slight misalignment upon lay down, or if there are the odd stray inserts that won't align (I've had that happen, and with the extra wide keylines I painted in before putting on the hardtop that "misalignment" was NOT noticeable). That will prevent bare wood or the original paint (if you did not sand away the artwork) from showing through after you've committed and laid down the hardtop.

Thanks, my space shuttle playfield is completely blown out. My plan was to paint black around the inserts, but you are suggesting blue?

#3258 7 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Not suggesting blue....I didn't mention a specific color and assumed you'd do black.

Thanks, apparently my eyes aren't what they used to be, typically i read on my laptop, read it on my phone...

5 months later
#3294 56 days ago
Quoted from Cl1m4x:

I would love a Funhouse Hardtop <3

I dunno, I'm all for hardtops but funhouse is an expensive sought after pin.
Looks like cpr just did them and is considering putting them in their rotation of playfields they make.
A hard top would probably be a mistake in this case.

#3319 51 days ago

While i'm never rooting for a price hike, if $25 puts you over the top on this project, maybe you were just looking for an excuse not to do it.
My guess is most machines will take $500 if they were fully functioning and didn't need high ticket items like ramps. Posts, lane guide etc. add up.
So if the total is $525, it doesn't really change much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jcar302.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=jcar302 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.