• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2208 2 years ago

Centaur.

3 weeks later
#2237 2 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

And you’re probably going to pass me out.
[quoted image]

Firepower, Black Knight, F14.

Dont get the last one on the right, a William's I suspect by the cutouts.

4 months later
#2493 1 year ago

I played one at Allentown, it just reinforced my opinion I never want one which is too bad as it looks like on paper an alternative to a new playfield.

#2497 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

There were a few at Allentown that showed the difference between a good installation and a bad one.
The one Space Shuttle looked and played perfectly to me. The one on 8 ball deluxe further back in freeplay did not. The inserts were cloudy in places where it looked like they had not sanded smoothly, and there were decided lumps in the playfield... I don't know how that was done.
Xenon and Space Shuttle seemed to play perfectly to me.
I 100% recommend these as an option ESPECIALLY over an overlay, even with clearcoat. I've had 2 machines with overlays. One was an install job I did myself on an Attack From Mars. The overlay was missing art. One was the Flash Gordon I now have that is expertly installed and clear coated. It is missing a few little things (no numbers on the arrows on the upper playfield), and doesn't line up perfectly, (holes line up perfectly on left of playfield but are off on right.
I did not see the types of issues I saw with missing art on Outside Edge Hardtops like I do with ebay vinyl overlays.
Edit to add, Gdonovan, you are one of the few pinsiders who can actually touch up a playfield and clear it to make it look perfect. I would recommend you keep doing what you do as your results are amazing. Leave the hardtops to us amatures.

Oh I would not mind a hardtop on a few titles, depends on the title and cost/benefit/time line.

Just the three I have played have been negative experiences with the one at Allentown being the worst. I'll not finger the pin as I have no desire to bag on someone bringing a pin to the show.

The ball got stuck three times during gameplay which is the point I gave up and moved onto another title.

I look at hardtops as being another tool in our toolbox for bringing pins back to life. Glad to have it there if needed but maybe not in all cases.

#2500 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

So you wouldn’t buy one because the ball was getting stuck? What was causing it to get stuck? Not criticizing, I’m genuinely curious.

I would not be inclined to buy one before due to past negative experiences, my experience with this title just reinforced it further.

Never had a ball get stuck in an inlane before. Had to shake the hell out of the pin to shake it loose.

Not cool.

I'd like to buy one for the Space Shuttle I have here, each time I have an interaction with a hardtopped pin its a negative experience.

Am I to ignore what I have seen with my own eyes and buy one anyways? No thanks. Maybe its just bad luck on my part having run across three bad examples in a row, nothing I want to gamble a few hundred bucks and a few days labor to find out in person.

#2501 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

What was causing it to get stuck?

I'm not there it fix someone else's pin, plenty at home for that! It was clearly related to the hardtop as you could see deformation of the surface.

I moved on to another title, the Rollergames next too it played sweet.

#2526 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think I had the same experience on that machine
The ball was getting stuck between the shooter lane switch wire arm and the clear hardtop tab that was installed too far over
The owner needs to put a bevel on the edge of the plastic, guiding the ball to the center of the switch arm, not along side it

Nope, I got stuck on the left return lane twice and the inline drops once.

It had a card on it proudly claiming it was restored.

I'll stop here.

#2556 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:The orders came in for the Game, but it was too late, Stern/Seeburg had already gone bankrupt

Not even comparable "tech" I'm surprised someone made the reach in bringing it up.

Bottom line- If it was better and cheaper Gary Stern would have been all over it like a rash by now.

3 months later
#2729 1 year ago

If they do Nitro I may buy one and do a test.

All the hardtopped games I have played at shows have been a poor experience, I'm willing to buy a hardtop to see if my experience is the norm or abnormal.

#2735 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Then it's most likely other things. My Gorgar plays awesome with Hardtop but, I also rebuilt everything and tweaked everything properly. A Hardtop does not degrade game play.

It changes it in my experience.

If I buy one and install it myself it removes the argument "it was done poorly"

I have no great love for Nitro but have the playfield and backglass at the right price so willing to give it a shot.

At worst I sell it off and move on with life, been there and done that.

#2737 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

The ball is rolling on hard flat clean plastic with a hardtop
Clear coat is hard flat clean plastic but its just sprayed on instead of laid on
Its such a bummer that some people's only exposure to hardtops is a game that literally is used as a "get in the show for free" game and they "SLAPPED" a hardtop on it and never clean the thing, didnt bother to replace the ball, or dont level it when its set up.

1) As someone who has done a few playfields with auto clear I see no difference between them and a regular playfield. I would dispute "hardtop and clear coated" playfields are no different as several people have stated their experience mirrors mine. They are different.

2) I have played several hardtop games including one title that was freshly done with no expense spared and the ball had notable odd dynamics, particularly off the slings.

It was clearly not slapped together. Out of respect of the owner I have not mentioned what it was as they put considerable amount of time into it, brought it to a public event to be enjoyed and as far as I know are they are happy with it which is all the counts as they own it.

1 month later
#2878 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Alright, consider me 100% OUT on the "don't need to clearcoat" camp. This is now the second HT in a row I've had that's having issues pulling up in the middle (the last one was clearcoated). I still have one more mata hari to do after this one and I was considering doing a gorgar afterward that but I'm finding myself completely disinterested in even bothering now. Ugh.
Fwiw the batteries overnight didn't even get it pressed all the way back down (last two pics were this morning after removing the weight) I worry keeping them on there too long will warp the pf..
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is unfortunate.

#2880 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

It's not been a good run for me with these lately.
And yet, my High Speed (not clearcoated) continues to be great. I don't get it.

I was considering buying one for Nitro and testing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.