• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#147 5 years ago

Any update on High Speed? Sounds like the prototype will be test fit any day now.

2 weeks later
#165 5 years ago

Nice. After Vid did his how to I ordered a few star rollovers as High Speed has two that I seem to always forget about. That was a part of a larger order, but now I think I have everything for that one when it gets announced. Not sure how we will adapt to getting the space back in the workshop when the game is in the house. It's become a staple and just part of the workshop, but I'm sure we will fill the ~8 square feet it takes up in no time.

1 month later
#200 5 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Not all of us want a $1000 playfield. Some of us would be just as happy with an alternative at 25% of the cost.

And after some recent posts, having all the holes there is also nice. I didn’t know that was a potential with CPR, but I guess WW is missing some and I have one of those playfields in a box to do at some point.

1 week later
#211 5 years ago

Todd has 24k subs on youtube, so that's some pretty good exposure.

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I hope his followers put on their respirators while sanding, or they are going to get some lead exposure

I saw that and thought the same thing. And that was taking place inside, so everyone got a special treat.

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

That's my thread. If I remember I'll take some pics this weekend. The game has around 3k plays on it now and the hardtop looks brand new. I couldn't be happier with the product. People love how it plays also.

How the freak do you have 3k plays on it already? What’s the secret?

Sincerely,
Out of ideas

1 week later
#245 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

The general public.

I have 3 locations and I would guess that it takes 18-24 months to get that many plays on my busiest games, if not more.

2 months later
#433 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

It begins! Come on High Speed!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to the party. Keep those fingers crossed.

1 week later
#490 5 years ago
F55ABD44-177C-43C4-8180-E752B32516D3 (resized).jpegF55ABD44-177C-43C4-8180-E752B32516D3 (resized).jpeg
#494 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

Boy I hope they do one, otherwise I guess I'll be playing a white wood (Just need to clear and pop out those star inserts and then I am ready!)
[quoted image]

I’m a buyer of 2 as soon as they are available.

2 months later
#619 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

A bit of good news for some of you waiting. I got a call this morning that High Speed Proto is complete and should be in my hands soon for testing.Before anyone starts sanding down their playfields,remember this is just a prototype. If its not correct we take a step backwards. Keep your fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed. Thanks for the update.

1 month later
#704 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I believe they were only given permission for a limited run on those and they went fast. I ordered mine before finding a machine for it to go in even.

Really? That’s a bummer.

2 weeks later
#732 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I've got a space shuttle hardtop with over 10k plays on it that looks brand new still. I don't even wax it.

I am still envious of your foot traffic.

2 weeks later
#781 4 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

I have a question for those who have done a Hardtop. I have been asked to apply a Firepower Hardtop. The person started sanding and doesn't trust themselves to get it right. So I have the playfield and noticed that he has sanded low spots around some of the inserts. It's hard to see but you can see it by the shadows in the picture. What do I do to level it all out? Sand down a wider area? Lather on the clear?
[quoted image]

Hmm, that's sort of tough spot to be in. Having cleared old playfields before, which involves dripping clear into the cupped insert areas, this doesn't look like a small task. You could try to just drip (flood) those areas with clear and sand it smooth, using the remaining art as a guide. That might not work though because the clear will sand off a lot slower than the art.

So what I would probably do if I were you is to sand off the rest of the art, then clear it. Sand it a little when it's ready and you will see all the low spots. Drip clear into those areas until you think you are above level with the playfield. Again, let that harden and start sanding. Repeat until everything is level.

Like I said, I don't think they did you any favors.

#783 4 years ago

After thinking about it a little, maybe I would sand off all the art, drip clear in those inserts, and level them out. I say sand off the rest of the art so you don't trap any under the clear somehow, and it's not that hard. The clear isn't for a cosmetic thing in this instance, it's a support thing for the hardtop. I know it wouldn't be too bad, but I am seeing the hardtop sag into those areas over time. It might not, or even be noticeable, but it would be a concern of mine if this were a task I was working on.

2 weeks later
#817 4 years ago

Just picked up a Funhouse that would be a great candidate for a Hardtop.

#830 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Let's see? You know they make Playfields for this game right? I wouldn't recommend Hardtop for that game.
Hardtop is the best solution for games that have no other solution. If I took apart my Funhouse I'd want to put
the best solution in place. It's alot of work. Putting a Hardtop in is alot of work if done right.

$1000 for a playfield with fragile clearcoat and misaligned holes and have to transfer over every part, or $300 for something I only have to tear down the top side, sand, maybe clear, and put back together. Pretty easy choice to me on a game that will be at my location for years to come.

#832 4 years ago

Funhouse isn't available as a hardtop though. Just a big sticker overlay ( which I don't recommend if Hardtop is avail)
I'd rather have the high end Mirco PF in a Funhouse. Worth it

This is the Hardtop thread, thus the request. I've already said I'm not interested in a $1000 item for a questionable product for location play. If I wanted to do a nice playfield down the road (after clear stops sucking from Mirco and holes are straight and in the right place) I can still do that and remove the Hardtop'd playfield.

Here's a fun story. I bought a pretty well work Taxi from a friend who never got into the project. The playfield art was worn to the wood in some areas. Again, I wanted to put this game on location. I finished tearing down the playfield (top side only) and cleared it with 3 layers over a few days. I didn't even worry about filling in the "down to the wood" areas and sanding them smooth. Let it cure for a few weeks and put it back together and it's been on location for 2 years. It plays great and is really fast without having to be steeper than normal. It looks like a rat rod, but is a blast to play.

#835 4 years ago

I have done a Space Shuttle Hardtop which made alot of sense to me as I didn't have all the parts at the time I made the decision to do it. The process was straightforward and though there are a couple things that irritate me about them. I love the product. So don't take what I say wrong. I have recommended some games for Hardtop conversion that are no available yet. Not sure they ever will be. There are some advantages for sure. With a game like funhouse with the heavily used scoops would fair. I suppose you could put a cliffy ontop of them and hold it down. That would be my only concern. With a fast game like Funhouse I wonder how the surface would play on that title.

I have a Whirlwind that the previous owner put a protector on. On a very rare occasion the ball will hang up in front of one of the scoops on the lip of the protector. It has to be a very slow ball, typically with a lot of sideways movement. So I do see that happening on a game with scoops that gets a Hardtop.

My Funhouse will be very pretty one day, but I expect I should wait for it to get a lot of plays on location before doing that.

#841 4 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Have you installed a hard top before? It’s quite a bit more involved than you are making it out to be. I love my FG hardtop, but factoring in time and effort, I think I would rather do a playfield swap tbh.

I'm a glutton for punishment, but also enjoy learning new things.

Please see exhibit A: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-joust-1969-oh-boy

You can filter by my posts and just really read when I post pictures. Looking back, I didn't post enough "final result" pictures, but the game plays amazing now.

#851 4 years ago

Deez probably has the highest play game with a hardtop. Last I remember his Space Shuttle had about 2000 plays and no complaints.

#860 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Trying to reconcile info across various posts from Vid’s general resto posts and his Comet Hardtop one, specifically around inserts.
I’d guess that nearly every insert on my PF is raised, with the amount varying from a fingernail’s thickness to maybe twice that on a couple. I’m reading to sand them down to the PF, but also to reglue and/or replace any that are raised.
Thoughts on what the threshold is here for sanding vs reglueing? I’d suspect that the adhesive on the Hardtop would prevent any re-raising of inserts, but interested to know what other’s experience has been.
Thanks!

There is no adhesive over the inserts of a hardtop, correct? I would sand down and then put glue around each insert, or at least as much of the perimeter that you can.

3 months later
#991 4 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

For the experts: Is there any point to sanding the inserts super fine and then clearing over them like this poster is planning? I thought the logic was to sand with coarser grit (500g) so the clear has something to grip to, then the final clear will be super smooth. Will cleaning over inserts that have been sanded that fine (2000g) cause lifting issues later?

I agree with you. I would not go super-fine on the wood if there is going to be clear applied. Save that for after the clear.

1 year later
#1895 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It got you thinking about a new Stern Top Gun pin?

Um, I didn’t even know I wanted that, and now I do.

2 years later
#3134 1 year ago

Is Funhouse on the “so you’re telling me there’s a chance” list? I won’t buy a playfield from Mirco. I bought a used playfield that is way better than mine and will put a protector on that, but I’d really like a Hardtop instead.

2 months later
#3202 9 months ago

*crosses fingers, closes eyes* Funhouse someday please.

#3206 9 months ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Have they even done a WPC hardtop yet?

The game list for candidates would be very small. Of all the FH made, how many were not Diamond Plate? Mine is not and is really bad. If FH didn’t have DP nor factory mylar they likely have some wear to the wood. I’m going to either do a playfield protector on a “not trashed” original, or hardtop the playfield in my FH, which is pretty trashed. Worn to the wood in many places.

2 months later
#3248 7 months ago

Well that looks pretty interesting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lemont, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=desertt1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.