• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider budwin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#615 5 years ago

Here is a couple of hardtop installs that did not use 2pac.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-hardtop-restoration#post-4850648
For those that do not have a pro paint booth.

3 months later
#805 4 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Looks like it could be outgassing to me. How long did you let the clear cure? Looks like it needed more time and still had some air trapped in it.

I have that on my FP HardTop on a few of the inserts.
It is not that bad, but of course annoying.
I followed the written directions regarding clear cure time. (I think it was 100 hours on the instructions)
If doing another Hardtop, I think I would let the 2X cure for at least a week.

2 years later
#2189 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I’ve got plenty of projects I can work on in the meantime but I would buy two Elektra sets if they make them. A lot of people could use them for this title. My game plays well and for years ended up being my test fixture for testing Bally boards after repairs. If they come out with a Hardtop that will be a good excuse to finally refresh the whole game and move it into the basement.

Put me in for a set, I think Elektra would dazzle with a hardtop. (since it had the middle plexi plastic cover from day one)
Most only need upper and lower set for that same reason. (kind of proves the whole Hardtop concept would make playfields last too long)
I cannot help but believe that is why the mfgs don't use them in production.

#2194 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

I’ve had my Pinbot Hardtop on for about 8 months now and I LOVE it. It still looks immaculate after about 30-60 minutes of daily use. One concern however is in the pic below. There appears to be some stress cracking where the ball drops in from the vortex ramp. There is no bubbling or raising, but I imagine eventually that might happen. Anything recommended to soften the blow? Mylar?
[quoted image]

Ball drops ALWAYS get mylar per VID1900.
Why would you not want that extra layer of protection regardless of the playfield type?

1 month later
#2256 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Was comparing F14 hardtop to original and was bummed out by the lazy work on the lettering.
The fonts don’t match original well, letters are not positioned correctly (arrow inserts too low), and different font weights are used (see 32k vs 16k).
All that work, why not vector trace original 0-9 and use that to match?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Easy to criticize, harder to create.
If that is your biggest problem, you are lucky.

1 month later
#2306 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I figured the main play field area would be designed to install under the existing Plexi, but that's just a guess. I don't really see a need for it on most machines since the ball has never touched that artwork in 40 years. Still the artwork may have faded over those 40 years so maybe there is a need.

I think when you look at the faded colors compared to the new HT you would choose to replace all three levels.
That is what I am doing anyway.

3 months later
#2598 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

No I dont. Basically I clamp the hardtop to the playfield, then carefully drill a 3/16" locating hole from the bottom for all the switch, lamp holes etc that will get routed out. Once all the locating holes are drilled, I can then use the router bit to flush cut the the holes to their perfect size. When I am routing, i do it free-hand...very carefully. Once all the holes are routed, its time to stick it. This entire process only adds about an hour to the job.
Doing it this way is not for the faint of heart. One little slip up and you scar your hardtop.
Oh and one more thing. Be sure to not miss one of the holes that need to be drilled/routed prior to sticking the hardtop. I don't know for certain, but i think routing the hardtop with it stuck might force shavings between the playfield and hardtop which may cause some undesirable thing.

This is kind of a big deal on routing the holes pre-sticking vs. after sticking.
Seems like the best precision would be after sticking, but can shavings actually get under the HT?
Keith recommends routing the roll over holes after sticking. (according to the video I watched)

#2601 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

So in the video he is using a sanding drum and not a router bit. I can see the sanding drum being okay for after the HT is stuck because I cant really see the dust getting getting forced under the HT. The router chips may be a different story. Again I am speculating that this may be an issue. I don't know because I have never tried it.
On the last couple hard tops I have stuck, there were areas in the HT around the holes that did not have adhesive. So if there is no adhesive, you now have a very small clearance or pocket for the chips to get forced into. If this were to happen, you would have to dig the chips out. Also, in the video, there is no missing adhesive around that insert, so there is no risk at all there.
IMO the safest way to go is to clamp the HT and route the holes out, and then stick it. If you align the HT properly and clamp it before sticking it, it will go on perfectly.

OK, I see your concern about debris getting permanently stuck between the HT and the PF.
I was just looking over my HT with that in mind, I did not see any hole I need to route where the adhesive is not completely encircling the hole.
The worst case scenario I can imagine is routing all the holes and then sticking the HT off kilter.
Maybe I'm just over thinking as usual.

#2607 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

if its properly stuck down there should be no way to get anything under it. If stuff gets under it you had already messed up.

Your trolling of this thread is BS, please use your troll account somewhere else.

#2627 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

So in the video he is using a sanding drum and not a router bit. I can see the sanding drum being okay for after the HT is stuck because I cant really see the dust getting getting forced under the HT. The router chips may be a different story. Again I am speculating that this may be an issue. I don't know because I have never tried it.
On the last couple hard tops I have stuck, there were areas in the HT around the holes that did not have adhesive. So if there is no adhesive, you now have a very small clearance or pocket for the chips to get forced into. If this were to happen, you would have to dig the chips out. Also, in the video, there is no missing adhesive around that insert, so there is no risk at all there.
IMO the safest way to go is to clamp the HT and route the holes out, and then stick it. If you align the HT properly and clamp it before sticking it, it will go on perfectly.

OK, tonight I routed 33 holes and slots in my HT, I can confirm your finding that there is a SH*T ton of debris that is expelled while routing.
So, I am now in your camp about routing before sticking by clamping the HT in place.
I used your recommended 3/16 in. routing bit in my Dremel with the routing cage. (no problems and clean edges)
Thanks for your post, I now believe real experience trumps over thinking.

Router bit (resized).JPGRouter bit (resized).JPG
#2629 1 year ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

Nice! So the dremel does work? Was it battery or plug in?

Mine is a plug in 120VAC type.

#2634 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Glad it worked out and your happy with it. Only other thing to add is to make sure you put a drop of oil on that bearing from time to time, and make sure it always spins freely.

Here is a short video of the router in action.
I was just roughing out the roll over holes prior to stick down. (there are 11 roll overs on this one)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider budwin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=budwin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.