• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TechnicalSteam.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#173 5 years ago

Hardtop for time fantasy

1 month later
#186 5 years ago

Is there anyway that someone could help out the Hardtops community.

TimeFantasy ( High res scans need minor retouching ) - Mine is probably better restore candidate but there are many who would die for another option .

Flight2000 ( 1 fully depopulated playfield requires minor touch up but may make a good start of template)
Warlock ( Hardtop canidate or it's going to be one heck of timely restore )

I am a trained graphic artist and would love to contribute to the community with any of the listed games above.
Not sure I'd make TF into a hardtop but other two are to be

Whoever is in charge hit me up I'd love to help preserve some of these games

1 month later
#325 5 years ago

Warlock / Defender - please think that would help save a huge number of these from sad days

#334 5 years ago

Hardtop is probably the best product to come out of this hobby is years.

I will be finishing my first game Space Shuttle soon. I will never do an sticker overlay
again. Unless forced to do so by some unforseen change of fates.

1 week later
#365 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

These are pics of the ramps with a custom riser pad under them - it helps, but I feel like the art should meet up with the ramp.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you custom made the ramps. You could of tapered them so they extend to edges and then come to ramp.
Painting them black would look pretty odd. Think filing them in and painting them to match pf may be drastic. And late

Hopefully ramps become avail again.

Not sure how that plays though.

I have as much of the same issue at hand in my project ( refurb ? not really resto ) .

I think the only thing holding many of us back now from a renaissance of fixing games is Ramp availability.
Plastic set demand is pretty much not a big issue.

Please someone take up the vacuum forms or figure out a affordable way to 3d print these on demand. Many of us would be super happy.

#367 5 years ago

Space Shuttle ramps have not been made available yet. Please use EXTREME caution removing these. In some cases as fragile as eggshell.

#393 5 years ago

Careful when drilling holes as particles may get between playfield and hardtop.
Use shop vac to suck up debris. Dont blow or bRush away.

#404 5 years ago

2PAC for entire surface an multiple coats. You will probably not oulive the 2PAC on a HUO shooter lane if carefully waxed and balls changed and playfield allowed to cure.

Mine has turned out great and should be playable Sunday

My only complaint is if wax is applied without care it will get between hardtop and playfield. This can be remedied but results in unsightly results if not remedied and PITA. Use small ammounts of wax and use care on application. If games is left unkept dirt will eventually work its way between layers. While not better than original restored playfield I find it infinetly better than standard overlay.

#408 5 years ago

Finished Space Shuttle Dec 2. I am very pleased with results. The game plays much faster than the old. It has brought this trade deal new life.
My son got a fairly good game in and it played fast. Would love to see this offered for a few other titles like Warlock, Defender and Time Fantasy.
These machines typically did not fair well. Defender has a plastic set. None of these games to my knowledge have special parts and should be a home run.
Panthera and a bunch of Gottlieb titles come to mind as well. Flight 2000 would be a good one but I guess it might be an odd size.

1 week later
#425 5 years ago

Following Vids advice Space Shuttle came out nice even with old ramps.

81E74C48-2119-44B9-8416-AD4D91573259 (resized).jpeg81E74C48-2119-44B9-8416-AD4D91573259 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#428 5 years ago
Quoted from firefighter:

Where did you find those custom rule cards from for your space shuttle?

Found Rule Card on Left on Internet - made the other custom rule card

4 months later
#736 4 years ago

These products are a great solution for some of the games that have no chance of restoration or life due to complicated screen printing. Space Shuttle, Alien Poker and others for example that would be a major PITA to restore. For some of the games that have just a few minor blemishes I'd recommend a Clear Coat and hand touch up.
I'd still love to see some of these options for System 7 games. Time Fantasy, Warlock, Defender, Jungle Lord and maybe even Funhouse, Whirlwind. Eight ball deluxe, grand lizard and a few others would be good to. I checked the website the other day and not sure what's really still available. Though these projects are getting tough to find now.

#738 4 years ago

10k Plays Where is this?

2 weeks later
#784 4 years ago

Will look like crap. Sand it flat and fill the valleys. Take your time this isn't a race. Read Vid's Comet guide

3 weeks later
#827 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Just picked up a Funhouse that would be a great candidate for a Hardtop.

Let's see? You know they make Playfields for this game right? I wouldn't recommend Hardtop for that game.
Hardtop is the best solution for games that have no other solution. If I took apart my Funhouse I'd want to put
the best solution in place. It's alot of work. Putting a Hardtop in is alot of work if done right.

#831 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

$1000 for a playfield with fragile clearcoat and misaligned holes and have to transfer over every part, or $300 for something I only have to tear down the top side, sand, maybe clear, and put back together. Pretty easy choice to me on a game that will be at my location for years to come.

Funhouse isn't available as a hardtop though. Just a big sticker overlay ( which I don't recommend if Hardtop is avail)
I'd rather have the high end Mirco PF in a Funhouse. Worth it

#834 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

This is the Hardtop thread, thus the request. I've already said I'm not interested in a $1000 item for a questionable product for location play. If I wanted to do a nice playfield down the road (after clear stops sucking from Mirco and holes are straight and in the right place) I can still do that and remove the Hardtop'd playfield.
Here's a fun story. I bought a pretty well work Taxi from a friend who never got into the project. The playfield art was worn to the wood in some areas. Again, I wanted to put this game on location. I finished tearing down the playfield (top side only) and cleared it with 3 layers over a few days. I didn't even worry about filling in the "down to the wood" areas and sanding them smooth. Let it cure for a few weeks and put it back together and it's been on location for 2 years. It plays great and is really fast without having to be steeper than normal. It looks like a rat rod, but is a blast to play.

I have done a Space Shuttle Hardtop which made alot of sense to me as I didn't have all the parts at the time I made the decision to do it. The process was straightforward and though there are a couple things that irritate me about them. I love the product. So don't take what I say wrong. I have recommended some games for Hardtop conversion that are no available yet. Not sure they ever will be. There are some advantages for sure. With a game like funhouse with the heavily used scoops would fair. I suppose you could put a cliffy ontop of them and hold it down. That would be my only concern. With a fast game like Funhouse I wonder how the surface would play on that title.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TechnicalSteam.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=TechnicalSteam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.