• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spraynard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#94 5 years ago

How does the CPR announcement affect hardtop going forward? Does this mean games that were run in the past (e.g., Taxi) are no longer fair game?

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

They are catered to two different markets, IMO. CPR is $600-700 + a complete playfield swap. Hardtop is $350 without a complete swap. So, i guess it comes down to time and money for each person.

I understand that, but this is Hardtop's current policy from the original post:

Quoted from Skypilot:

If any of the playfield manufacturers( CPR, Mirco, others) are making or planning on making a playfield it is off limits for us.

If a company has already made the playfield it may qualify for a hardtop. Example=Taxi

This policy, however, is no longer relevant because the new CPR model completely does away with the concept of "runs." CPR will presumably begin making Taxi playfields again immediately. Does that mean it is "off limits" to hardtop again? Can HT never produce a title that CPR has run in the past?

#101 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

No, final approval of titles is decided by Planetary. If a Hardtop has been approved for production and has been made it will always be available.

Ah, gotcha. so basically hard top will just make whatever title planetary approves, regardless of what CPR has done or will do?

4 months later
#383 5 years ago

I don’t think I’ll even need sandpaper. The existing paint flakes right off! Excellent HT candidate.

5312D653-13D9-4675-A5E0-54992A789FD0 (resized).jpeg5312D653-13D9-4675-A5E0-54992A789FD0 (resized).jpeg
#386 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I thought you were going the CPR playfield route?

Nope. HT all the way baby. Does CPR even have a FG playfield available?

#387 5 years ago

Has anyone started on their Flash Gordon yet? I started stripping down mine today. As I was examining things, I realized doing both playfields will be a total pain. I was originally thinking i'd just plop down everything on my rotisserie, but the upper playfield is attached to the lower via the wood rails. In order to remove rails, the upper pf will need to be removed. I can't think of an elegant way to do this without having to remove all the under playfield stuff from the upper playfield. Thoughts?

#402 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

This was my first choice. Rust-Oleum 12-Ounce Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint.[quoted image]

Is this fine to clear the shooter lane? Or is 2PAC necessary for that?

3 weeks later
#429 5 years ago

I was checking the alignment of FG hardtop and noticed that one of the arrows has 3M adhesive over it. The rest do not. Is this normal? Should I proceed with install? Will this insert look weird?
B1E6C3C9-CEA1-4F0D-B5EE-FC3578E42381 (resized).jpegB1E6C3C9-CEA1-4F0D-B5EE-FC3578E42381 (resized).jpeg Skypilot

#430 5 years ago

Looking at the photos posted by Andyzola87 and ReadyPO above, that particular arrow insert also looks like its not transparent on theirs either. I'm hoping that it is just the 3m sticker that wasn't cut properly, and there isn't actually 3m adhesive over the insert....

1 week later
#441 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Actually, I had not considered a protector. Reasonably priced, doesn't look to terribly difficult to install. I wonder how much it will actually reduce the cupping in my case. I'll definitely research this option...thank you for the link, grbgemen.

The inserts will remain cupped but you won’t notice them because the lexan that lays over top of them is flat. I used one on a paragon with cupped inserts and it worked perfectly. It’s the easiest solution for cupped inserts. I love hard tops, but IMO they should be saved for completely blown out playfields.

#455 5 years ago

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for including the extra strip of plastic with the FG hardtop. Was able to create fitted shims for each ramp and create a perfectly smooth transition

6BEC96B4-6FF8-49EC-876C-6FFFDF6993A3 (resized).jpeg6BEC96B4-6FF8-49EC-876C-6FFFDF6993A3 (resized).jpeg
#459 5 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I didn't get any extra with my BK hardtop so I cut away a lot of the material that sits under the apron and used that for shims. I also had to shim the outside shooter lane rail as the hardtop didn't extend across the shooter lane. Hopefully this is being addressed now. If not, get out your utility knife and a ruler!

Oh gosh. Now that I think about it, that may have been what that extra strip of plastic was for LOL. Either way, I think it's a good idea to include extra strips of plastic for shimming.

1 month later
#589 5 years ago

FG hard top restore complete. Looks amazing! Now to fix a bunch of board related issues...

78284DA7-09EE-4B4F-9A6A-2F457FA2A692 (resized).jpeg78284DA7-09EE-4B4F-9A6A-2F457FA2A692 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#630 5 years ago

Use a Dremel to carefully open existing holes in hardtop or drill new ones. You will have to do that for pretty much all of them. Wait until after you install to mess with the holes, btw.

#643 5 years ago

bits like these worked well for me.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#645 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Just be sure to clean up everything that it leaves behind

Oh definitely have a shop vac and some compressed air at the ready. Also wear a mask so you're not breathing fine plastic particles.

2 months later
#798 4 years ago

I’ve had my hard top installed for several months now. I’ve noticed that one of my inserts has started to “cloud” — basically this opaque whiteness seems to be spreading from the edge. Anyone else experiencing this? Not sure if it’s the hardtop or something I messed up on install.

82AED23E-76A3-48D0-97C7-A3B9952D177A (resized).jpeg82AED23E-76A3-48D0-97C7-A3B9952D177A (resized).jpeg
#800 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

It's been almost 3 months since my hardtop install on Mata Hari...no issues yet, knock on wood. How did you prep your inserts before laying down the hardtop? I sanded 600-800-1000 then put on a couple of thin rattle can coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss.

Pretty much followed Vid's guide exactly. My only deviation is that I used Krylon Crystal Clear like you instead of 2PAC.

#802 4 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Looks like it could be outgassing to me. How long did you let the clear cure? Looks like it needed more time and still had some air trapped in it.

Based on my photologs, looks like about 20 days

#812 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Curious of people's thoughts on progressively higher grit sanding followed by Novus to make the inserts naturally shiny, rather than relying on clear.

I think the big issue is protecting your shooter lane, but I think that approach should be fine overall.

1 week later
#836 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

something I only have to tear down the top side, sand, maybe clear, and put back together.

Have you installed a hard top before? It’s quite a bit more involved than you are making it out to be. I love my FG hardtop, but factoring in time and effort, I think I would rather do a playfield swap tbh.

1 month later
#885 4 years ago
Quoted from Deltron:

Is it possible that future runs of hardtops with in-line drops are not completely cut out at the drops (like the roll overs are currently done) so that they can be dremeled exact after install to help prevent ball hang ups?[quoted image][quoted image]

100% agree

1 month later
#950 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Can someone please give the process to sand the playfield in preparation for a hardtop? I currently have my BK main PF stripped and ready to sand. What sandpaper grits? Does all artwork need to be stripped? Should the bare PF be clearcoated?

Vid did a guide that answers all your questions here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet

2 weeks later
#986 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Just got finished sanding my BK playfield down to 400 grit with a DA sander. The inserts are sanded to 800 grit but I am going to go even finer. So far so good.
I am also planning on black Sharpy-ing around the inserts because I dont want to chance there being a bit of bare wood showing when it should not when the hardtop goes on. But what clear-coat should I use specifically that wont impact the black Sharpy? If I can get away with a rattle-can...then cool. I also have a cup-gun I can use if need be.
Maybe this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-11-5-fl-oz-Gloss-Oil-based-Polyurethane/999913663

For the experts: Is there any point to sanding the inserts super fine and then clearing over them like this poster is planning? I thought the logic was to sand with coarser grit (500g) so the clear has something to grip to, then the final clear will be super smooth. Will cleaning over inserts that have been sanded that fine (2000g) cause lifting issues later?

#1000 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi A quick reminder that there is actually no adhesive over any inserts at all. There should be no concern over not providing tooth, as the Hardtop is clear (except printed copy) and no adhesive over inserts. More reasons why a Hardtop will look great for a long time.

To clarify, the conversation here was about preparing the inserts for clear coat prior to installing the hardtop. An earlier poster was discussing their plan to polish the inserts with high grit sandpaper and then clear it.

2 years later
#2365 2 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4TFHJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Highly recommend this flush trim bit. You can basically just trace around holes like a router, it's awesome. You may still need to go free hand for the rollover inserts though.

#2370 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That bit is the shlt for real
Literally, mount the sink (or whatever), and just let the bit do the work.
Perfectly cut every time
[quoted image]

exactly! The little dinky one i posted is meant to fit a dremel and probably would break with thick wood, but same basic principle. Forgot to mention, If you use that bit i posted make sure you use in combination with one of these to make sure you maintain the proper depth and keep the tool at 90 degrees to the playfield.

#2372 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Even better is a trim router with a proper base plate

agree with you for large areas but it probably won't work for tracing smaller holes. The small dremel bit is actually small enough to fit into a rollover switch slot.

#2373 2 years ago

(delete this post, made by accident)

#2378 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

hmm... just curious why youd rather a dremel than put a 1/8 collet in a trim router with the bit you posted?

Oh I guess you could also do that. I honestly didn't even realize they made collets that small for routers. Seems kind of dangerous. Regardless, I'd probably still want to use a dremel just because it is smaller, lighter, and easier to control.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spraynard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=Spraynard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.