• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skypilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

We felt its time to have a go-to thread for this fantastic new product. I've included a dynamic poll. We will add games when they are approved for future production. Vote on the games you intend to purchase. We know everyone has a voice and an opinion and we are using this thread to listen to you. Post your requests.

A few general rules and requests.

We are currently working with Planetary Pinball exclusively, so only Bally /Williams machines can be added at this time. No Sterns, No Gottliebs and so on.

If any of the playfield manufacturers( CPR, Mirco, others) are making or planning on making a playfield it is off limits for us.

If a company has already made the playfield it may qualify for a hardtop. Example=Taxi

Last and most important.....Do not contact, call, or PM us with suggestions, instead put them here. Thank you for your thoughts, understanding, and support.
download (resized).pngdownload (resized).png

Here is a list of Hardtops currently available:

Space Shuttle
Pharoah
Wizard
Taxi (2 Versions)
Future Spa
Comet
Frontier
Black Knight
Evel Knievel

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

I was told to use a clear when I bought my taxi. What clear do you suggest to seal the inserts. Pinfest was a long event so i think it was just forgotten about.

This was my first choice. Rust-Oleum 12-Ounce Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint.

spray (resized).jpgspray (resized).jpg
#13 5 years ago
Quoted from scupbucket:

Hope I didn't jump the gun sanding down my Firepower. Is that still planned to go live? Baby needs some new art!... and targets... and inserts... and...

Your fine, Firepower is coming.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I have a stripped Gorgar playfield available to ship out if it is of interest. I can send pics first, please advise.
Swords of Fury is now listed in the poll - Yay!! If you can give an idea of likliehood and approximate time-line I would commit to two now. I am still holding off on hand touch ups and clearing the one that I have top side stripped now. It has been far too long and need to move this along. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

As much as we appreciate everyone’s willingness to send us playfields,we cannot accept all the offers. There is a specific process to choosing the next Hardtops.If the manufacturer needs something we will ask. Thanks

#22 5 years ago

I hope to add some of these titles to the poll. I'm waiting to hear from robin to see if this is an option.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

I feel sorry for you guys, for having to hear us all yell game titles at you haha. But this product looks so great, takes care of a lot of pinball issues for good. I really hope this all works out and you can start cranking out titles.
Missing the boat on a playfield repro run sucks.... If you do a title will it always be available? You don't have to have a batch of them made do you?

Thats what this thread is for,yelling out! We want to know what everyone wants. When a game comes up, we see if we are able to do it and then we will have it added to the poll.

Once a Hardtop is produced it is a stocked for purchase. When the shelve is empty they just run more.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

No way I would have purchased mine if it wasn't for hardtop being available.

This product has changed my wish list also.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

This may be a biased place to ask this question, but what would the resale value difference be between a game with a CPR-type playfield vs. a hardtop? Would it be, say, $500 since a CPR gold playfield might run $700 - $800 and one of these is $300?
As a home player who just wants the machine to look nice and (more importantly) play well, I'll take the hardtop. Also, not having to totally break down a game in a playfield swap has some appeal.

I really don't know.I would venture a minimum of 500 on a game. That said whenever I do a hardtop Im putting on new plastics, rebuilding mechs, polishing rails so it's hard to say. I sold the prototype Pharoah at 1000 over its original cost.

#44 5 years ago

Ok, its time to add canidates to the list. @robin @forceflow .Please add Eight ball deluxe,Strikes and Spares,Kiss (bally),Supersonic and Grand lizard to the poll. These title have made the list.
Cheers!

#45 5 years ago

The poll has been updated with additional games. Cast your votes.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from action76:

Six Million Dollar Man please.
I commented in the other thread but I thought I should echo it here also.
Thanks.

Yes, this is the place to make requests. I will add it to the request list.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from CoitusMysterioso:

????????????????????????????????

Whats your question. It's in the poll so that means its approved to be made.Where in the queue I cannot answer.....yet

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Will it make the list even though it is a widebody?

I added it when you posted it. Now we wait for approval.

#56 5 years ago

Quoted from timab2000:Flash Gordon would be nice.

We can always hope.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I would like to see the classic 1980's Stern's, like 9ball, Lightning, etc.

as stated in the intro

"We are currently working with Planetary Pinball exclusively, so only Bally /Williams machines can be added at this time. No Sterns, No Gottliebs and so on."

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Weird, why can't you do other makes? How can PP force a third party to only make parts for them? How would making parts for old Sterns even impact PP?

Planetary is not forcing anyone. They do not have licensing agreements with anyone else at this time. That does not mean in the future this could change. There are still a lot of B/W titles to be done so bringing on another company's titles is just too much.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Pinbot please! I've already got a pf to swap but this seems much easier.

ITS on the list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#80 5 years ago

If you try to pull it back up ,it will possibly take wood with it.Trust me I played around with enough of these.

1 week later
#91 5 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Nine ball, stern ali

Sorry no Sterns as of yet

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

How does the CPR announcement affect hardtop going forward? Does this mean games that were run in the past (e.g., Taxi) are no longer fair game?

No, final approval of titles is decided by Planetary. If a Hardtop has been approved for production and has been made it will always be available.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

They are catered to two different markets, IMO. CPR is $600-700 + a complete playfield swap. Hardtop is $350 without a complete swap. So, i guess it comes down to time and money for each person.

You sir are correct. $300/350 Hardtop is a different market than a $800-1000 playfield

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Ah, gotcha. so basically hard top will just make whatever title planetary approves, regardless of what CPR has done or will do?

Correct

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from tominator:

I thought firepower was already a done deal...no?

Firepower is a done deal. I think the proto is in installation phase. Not sure not my install

1 week later
#127 5 years ago

Firepower has been officially released. You can place your orders.

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

Wonder if a router with the proper bit would work. Put some felt pads on the surface so it doesn't scratch up the hard top. You'd have to clean out the existing hole pretty smoothly so the wheel followed inside the hole just right.
Any other tips/suggestions on the rebuild?

A router bit with the proper tip would work wonderful. The issue we had was that there are not very many router bits that have a low profile that will actually have a roller that fits in the 3/8thinch of that area. Most router bits have a longer depth and were hitting the lower area which is a smaller radius.

2 months later
#183 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Not sure if this was confirmed but everything that is in the poll is potentially available, license wise? It is just a matter of you deciding what to do based on popularity and ability to complete? IE: SoF is actually possible? Any update on SoF?

Im sorry there is not much to update. They are working on a few titles and once High Speed is complete the next candidates will be decided upon.

1 week later
#197 5 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

Any chance there will be some of these available to purchase at Expo in a couple of weeks?

Yes ,They are setting up at expo.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Can we put in a pre-order?

I dont believe they do preorders. What are you looking for? I mention it to Bruce.

1 week later
#205 5 years ago

We are working on three titles right now. When they are done we will decide and hopefully announce the next five.see you at Expo!
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#206 5 years ago

So apparently Todd Tuckey is endorsing Hardtops.

For your viewing pleasure

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Does that bottom picture REFLECT any of your future decision making?

Yes and no. Sometimes these things just are staring us in the face.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

That is very impressive, congratulations!
Questions: Mata Hari only shows as 4% in the poll yet it is next. Is this due to licensing? What is your logic?
It's unfortunate that there is not more transparency with upcoming titles. There are certainly a number of pinheads here, like me who are unsure of what to do with a few of our projects. Knowing what is coming would be very helpful.
Thanks.

It is never as easy as you may think when it comes to announcing the next titles. The emails, the questions, the offers, clog up the momentum. The reality is it becomes extremely more difficult to move forward when you're inundated with possible future customers requests. I'm sorry, I'm sure this is not what you want to hear but keep in mind this is not anyone here's mainstay. We will do our best to inform everyone as this moves forward and it is moving forward.

1 week later
#238 5 years ago

Chicago Expo 20189CCEA540-A849-423C-9891-305D23E6463C (resized).jpeg9CCEA540-A849-423C-9891-305D23E6463C (resized).jpeg

57296B72-EBB6-422C-A36D-75A5A99BAF1D (resized).jpeg57296B72-EBB6-422C-A36D-75A5A99BAF1D (resized).jpeg812F7AF8-D5C5-42A7-A180-5EAC7B223F70 (resized).jpeg812F7AF8-D5C5-42A7-A180-5EAC7B223F70 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#266 5 years ago

Make no mistake, Hardtops are catching on. We still had people at Expo who had no idea what it was. We are still gaining ground. Those who have installed thi product are our best advertisement. We are currently choosing the next five titles. Exciting times!

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

I left mine in. Figured the odds of ever needing to replace them are tiny and I'd potentially do more damage taking them out and reinstalling. Plus I could always put a small hole in the hardtop if necessary.

You are correct. They do not need to be removed.

#308 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

These are pics of the ramps with a custom riser pad under them - it helps, but I feel like the art should meet up with the ramp.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So from the looks of it from what I see I believe you might have placed your hardtop slightly low. I’m saying this looking at the triangular red insert below. I did not initially Proto type black knight but that is my best guess.

2 weeks later
#369 5 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

Can I pre order the HS1 hardtop somewhere? Thanks Pat

Sorry they do not work that way.

1 week later
#399 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Is it ok to leave my hardtop sitting in the box for 6 months or so?
I was wondering if the adhesive had a shelf life I should be aware of. Sorry if this was already answered!

Its fine

2 weeks later
#420 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Any update on High Speed prior posts said before XMas - any update?

High speed is still coming. I don’t know who put a Christmas deadline in here but it wasn’t outsidedge. I have a striped down game waiting to prototype. When I receive it I will post my progress.

3 weeks later
#461 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for including the extra strip of plastic with the FG hardtop. Was able to create fitted shims for each ramp and create a perfectly smooth transition [quoted image]

You are welcome. I cut parts off of another prototype to do mine.I then realized this would make things much easier. I will talk to the guys at Outsidedge and see if they can include this strip on all dual level playfields.

#476 5 years ago

Outsidedge will be including a filler strip on all dual level playfields.

#484 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed but here is my question:
Could you guys offer the hardtops WITHOUT adhesive. I would rather have this product not adhered to the playfield personally. If removing the adhesive adds risk to the artwork underneath getting scratched maybe you could add a simple laminate on the back instead of adhesive. Anyway, please offer this!
Thank you

No, They will not. They have researched the product and have found this application does not work. Sorry

#512 5 years ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

hey sky pilot do you know if they got the go ahead on Ebd. I've got a hardtop on a frontier no dust problems.

Yes we are doing EBD. Unfortunately High speed has been on low speed but is close to me prototyping. Fingers crossed I may have it before end of January.

#513 5 years ago

So there is some talk of dust between the top and the playfield. The Space Shuttle at the show was the original prototype.We have addressed this I thought in the past.When you clear your inserts if they are not completely sealed dust is possible.If you did not clean dust off your playfield or your Hardtop before installation this is also possible.If you took care on both of those issues you should be fine.

#516 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

I’m sorry for bringing up the whole “dust” thing. I was really just hoping to have the product offered without adhesive backing and that was one of my reasons and then the topic seems to have spiraled out of control. Again my apologies. It is a great product and I look forward to possibly using one someday.

No worries. It’s only pinball

#528 5 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

What's the time frame on Pinbot? I know it's getting close.

The production of Hardtops is relocating to a different facility. This is why things have slowed down a bit. Once the transition is done I believe thing will speed back up a bit. I cannot comment on timeframes, sorry.

1 week later
#547 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I just received my Mata Hari. I'm not sure if this art is correct? My field is worn but it looks different.
[quoted image]

She’s a beauty Clark

3 weeks later
#588 5 years ago

Shipping with these guys is a few days normally. High speed is apparently a bit longer.

3 weeks later
#610 5 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Just guessing but Hardtops are a side business and I think they said they recently moved. Getting the primary business back to 100% is probably taking up all the spare time that Hardtops require. Darn it!!!!

You are correct. I was told HS is close but telling you all that isnt going to help much. I promise to let you know as soon as I recieve the prototype.

1 week later
#618 5 years ago

A bit of good news for some of you waiting. I got a call this morning that High Speed Proto is complete and should be in my hands soon for testing.Before anyone starts sanding down their playfields,remember this is just a prototype. If its not correct we take a step backwards. Keep your fingers crossed.

#621 5 years ago
Quoted from 64bsstp:

Lots of inserts right there in the middle that have to line up.

Exactly

3 weeks later
#654 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

So I think this might be the weekend I finally get the Mata Hari hardtop installed. It's been almost a week since I cleared the inserts and today I took off the masking. One thing that hadn't occurred to me.....the areas that got cleared now have this ever-so-slight ridge between its surface and the uncleared surface that was masked off (see picture). Does this need to be sanded down prior to putting on the hardtop? If so, what grit sandpaper and how much do I take off?
The ridge is so slight, I'm wondering if it would even matter. Pay no attention to the black outline around the insert - that was an experiment gone bad, and with the test fit of the hardtop the inserts look perfect.[quoted image]

Why are you spending your time masking off your playfield.Just shoot clear on the whole area.

#671 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

How goes the High Speed Testing Sky Pilot got my inserts all cleared and ready Thanks for working on it!

A few small changes we made. Nothing that needed to be refitted,so it should be in production in the next few weeks.

2 weeks later
1 month later
#785 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I think you may end up filling in some of the wood, sanding flat, and putting in new inserts. Or look for another donor playfield.

^This^
If you chooose to repair this playfield, I would replace the inserts and set them to the level of the playfield. I would then gouge the wood around the inserts and apply a woodfiller/Bondo to level the field.There is way to many variences in that as it stands.

3 weeks later
#842 4 years ago

So I as the guy who brought Flash Gordon hard tops to the world. I’m going to be very honest and tell you that yes they are difficult in comparison to the other Single layer play field hard tops. . But for most people they don’t mind doing the extra labor because they’ve saved cash. I recently had to drop a tree in my front yard. It cost $800 to drop the tree without damaging anything around it. For additional $1200 they would’ve chipped away all the branches. Guess what I decided to pocket the $1200 and do the labor. So to each his own. Hardtops tops are normally much easier than play field swaps, trust me I know, I’ve done enough of each, but it is what it is and $350 later I have a beautiful flash Gordon.

1 month later
#888 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Where is the best place to get updates from Outside Edge? This thread?
I was hoping to go on their website & subscribe to an email update list, but I don't see that option anywhere. This is rather surprising for an online based company.
I just want to place an order as soon as they are back up & running. Thanks

Here would be fine.

#898 4 years ago

Wow!!!
Please do me a favor and chill!
I am lucky enough to be on the inside in this. Theres no plots. No collaborations. Shits down for a bit.... business as usual. They will be back up in due time. You guys need to relax and go play some pinball. Hardtop will be back up and working on the next title

2 weeks later
3 weeks later
#974 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Thoughts on clear-coating the sanded wood surface or not?

Heres the 411. The inserts need to be crystal clear. You have two choices:
1. Sand them down to a 2000 to 3000 grit( basically polish them).
2. Sand them down to +/- 300 grit and spray a clear over them to accomplish the same effect.

Keep in mind on most titles the shooter lane is seen, so sanding and clearing it at the same time makes it look newer also.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1003 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Shooter lane and wood you should be fine, I'd worry about any polyurethane yellowing over time if used on inserts.

I agree

#1027 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Will flash Gordon be made available again?

Yes

1 month later
#1113 4 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I'm sure they'll get there. I'll be purchasing a Grand Lizard HT as well once available. In order to enhance my patience, I hid it way in the back of my storage area, right behind Supersonic (which also, waiting for a HT).

I hid mine away too. But not in the back.

1 week later
#1146 4 years ago

Your Level of detail has raised the bar. Not to mention the fact that your colors are spot on. Cheers and happy new year ladies and gents

22E83617-0863-4B5E-94B5-3FB9A66E4D47 (resized).jpeg22E83617-0863-4B5E-94B5-3FB9A66E4D47 (resized).jpeg30E9BF50-8F9D-4114-B3BB-807918700C5B (resized).jpeg30E9BF50-8F9D-4114-B3BB-807918700C5B (resized).jpegE1E391FB-40F9-44B0-BB79-24D08C2EBF5B (resized).jpegE1E391FB-40F9-44B0-BB79-24D08C2EBF5B (resized).jpeg
#1155 4 years ago
Quoted from awassig:

now it seems to have fallen off the bandwagon

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1214 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I think your missing the reason for hardtoping a game . It’s a simple permanent solution to playfield repair . No need to complicate things .

Well said!

#1231 4 years ago

Any of you guy considering bringing your beauties to the "HardTop Homecoming" at PinBrew in April?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outside-edge-to-host-hardtop-homecoming-at-pinbrew-2020

1 month later
#1286 4 years ago

Im sorry these videos got lost in the mix. They are back up an we will produce a few more with better quality to help everyone install their amazing Hardtops.

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

the videos are gone

Not sure what happened but they seem to be back up. I love Google

#1295 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'm not seeing one for SoF. What happened?

????

#1312 4 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

skypilot Have there been any additional thought on expanding into Gottlieb's?

That's not a question for me. That's entirely up top Bruce.

#1324 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Outside Edge released an image for the upcoming SoF. I'm geeking out guys! Someone post the image here - I'm busy. lol.

Image posted

9045AEE3-FC20-409E-BCE0-C048E59812BD (resized).jpeg9045AEE3-FC20-409E-BCE0-C048E59812BD (resized).jpeg
#1351 4 years ago
04E23054-5750-481B-98E2-FAAD59ED6723 (resized).jpeg04E23054-5750-481B-98E2-FAAD59ED6723 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#1448 3 years ago

Protos

185768B9-DDFC-4FDE-B69D-0DE7DDD0C3AE (resized).jpeg185768B9-DDFC-4FDE-B69D-0DE7DDD0C3AE (resized).jpeg3C8D16F8-4175-4BC0-AC90-5035A4957CAF (resized).jpeg3C8D16F8-4175-4BC0-AC90-5035A4957CAF (resized).jpeg565109D2-840D-476E-8E0B-76B2D4F9ED0B (resized).jpeg565109D2-840D-476E-8E0B-76B2D4F9ED0B (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#1495 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

It was already lifting when I went to separate the adhesive cover. The adhesive was also kinda peeling up with the paper around the inserts and such too. Is that normal? Possible I had some sort of adhesive defect? It’s a first-run EBD hardtop from back in December but it’s been kept in climate controlled environment the whole time. Not trying to call out Outsidedge by any means here! Clearly these are an amazing product.

Contact Bruce

#1496 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

My EBD playfield is all prepped and I'm doing an alignment test.....will probably install tomorrow. Question: my hardtop has two circular cutouts in the upper right and lower left portions of the playfield, but my playfield doesn't have these cutouts. What are they for?
My EBD is the 1984 Classic version if that makes a difference. All the inserts line up nicely and for the most part, the holes line up as well. Will have to make a dozen or so trimming adjustments and put in holes were one or two are missing. Gotta love the manufacturing variances of 1980's pinball machines! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pictures from the Prototype

ebd1 (resized).jpgebd1 (resized).jpgebd2 (resized).jpgebd2 (resized).jpg
#1501 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Question on the Eight Ball Deluxe hardtop (looks great, BTW....I just laid mine down this afternoon). Is there supposed to be adhesive under the small, narrow clear strip that goes to the outside of the shooter lane? I seem to recall there was on the Mata Hari hardtop I installed last year but there doesn't appear to be on the Eight Ball Deluxe. It'll get secured by the rail set when those are screwed in anyway, just curious.[quoted image]

No ,he did not place adhesive there.

2 weeks later
#1532 3 years ago

A few random shots of the prototype finally getting finished.

1BCC62C4-1BF0-4862-B262-196D5ED92FCB (resized).jpeg1BCC62C4-1BF0-4862-B262-196D5ED92FCB (resized).jpeg6E76CA90-6DC5-466E-B465-8ECCA58DD9D3 (resized).jpeg6E76CA90-6DC5-466E-B465-8ECCA58DD9D3 (resized).jpeg36894E59-946A-4E20-A964-34947A8DAFB6 (resized).jpeg36894E59-946A-4E20-A964-34947A8DAFB6 (resized).jpeg9CDC2144-EC98-45E3-A593-4E1A1B949EBC (resized).jpeg9CDC2144-EC98-45E3-A593-4E1A1B949EBC (resized).jpegC33FAB57-6262-4732-A246-A1CAB13C950C (resized).jpegC33FAB57-6262-4732-A246-A1CAB13C950C (resized).jpeg1DE7037D-4D46-4BBE-9ECA-950CD91B3BC2 (resized).jpeg1DE7037D-4D46-4BBE-9ECA-950CD91B3BC2 (resized).jpeg096E96DD-21A3-4B3B-8B0A-039DCA76983F (resized).jpeg096E96DD-21A3-4B3B-8B0A-039DCA76983F (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#1709 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

My next video with SDTM will be installing Swords of Fury. Don't know the release date for it yet, but when it goes up I'll let you guys know.
[quoted image]

Sorry Cary ,couldn’t wait for the video LOL

91BC9E4E-B09D-4535-9A49-B6936832AF7F (resized).jpeg91BC9E4E-B09D-4535-9A49-B6936832AF7F (resized).jpeg
7 months later
#1997 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Is Novus 1 a definite no-no for cleaning the Hardtop surface? I've cleaned it a few times with it and it takes up the scuffs perfectly. I don't want to compromise the coating in any way, however.

I will ask Bruce

#1998 2 years ago

Bruce said that’s fine. He uses it on his games.

#2020 2 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

I recently finished my EBD hardtopper looks great . I am wondering if anyone else has used incandescent light on insert lamps ?

Not recommended. Read the directions.

4 months later
#2160 2 years ago

Keep hoping guys he’s knocking them out right and left

7E6C06F7-ED3B-4D1F-A835-1223A0D0431D (resized).jpeg7E6C06F7-ED3B-4D1F-A835-1223A0D0431D (resized).jpegC4E7C346-A5EE-462E-BA4A-649421F29862 (resized).jpegC4E7C346-A5EE-462E-BA4A-649421F29862 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#2213 2 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

I hope the next is Earthshaker

Always an option.

2 weeks later
#2225 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Ordered my F-14 hardtop. I bought my F-14 in 2013 and it has been waiting for this day, so thanks hardtop guys. I'm not looking forward to regluing all those arrow inserts though!
Now please get to work on Space Station.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"343b44a9c8c9e1e5fc93486692996b74f70ac7a4-1639707667-1800"};
//]]>

You will love it

C7C5E3FB-298D-44C7-BFC0-F66879E44DFB (resized).jpegC7C5E3FB-298D-44C7-BFC0-F66879E44DFB (resized).jpeg
#2229 2 years ago

Yeah here’s a tip.Most of the time I’m doing a prototype hardtop for Bruce.That usually means I stripped my playfields down to nothing. For those of you that are doing a conventional install this would be a really easy trick to keep all your mechanicals underneath from getting damaged I’m getting the playfield out the cabinet.

67801CBC-191D-469C-AC7C-798E03CD0550 (resized).jpeg67801CBC-191D-469C-AC7C-798E03CD0550 (resized).jpeg
#2233 2 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Did you see the one he just sanded down? It has inserts decals still. I started to remove some of mine to redecal but the hardtop came up.

I have sacrificed a few better than average playfields for the good of the pinball community.

spock (resized).jpgspock (resized).jpg
#2236 2 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Any tips or tricks or additional pictures.... I’m right behind you!
[quoted image]

And you’re probably going to pass me out.

#2242 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Firepower, Black Knight, F14.
Dont get the last one on the right, a William's I suspect by the cutouts.

Firepower, Jungle Lord, F 14 and Mousin

#2243 2 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

So this question is not to create debate... but what clear do you use? Asking for a friend....

I have friend with a body shop. I send them to him for a quick clear. If I have just one I sand to 320 an use this:

AF60A038-7DC2-4F44-BB7E-F7CF57BB5A40 (resized).jpegAF60A038-7DC2-4F44-BB7E-F7CF57BB5A40 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#2261 2 years ago

I have made Bruce aware of the concerns with F-14.

#2264 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Anyone put their F-14 on yet? Do the mistakes bother you? Thinking of selling my hardtop for this one.

Installed and can’t wait to finish it. I don’t lose sleep over things like that.

1 month later
#2347 2 years ago

I place 3 clamps on my installs. one at top center and two halfway down the playfield. Peel the bottom half and let it go.

3 weeks later
#2438 2 years ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

On my Xenon, I had to trim the 1-4 holes on top for the role over buttons to fit.

That’s intentional.

2 months later
#2631 1 year ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

Adding to the nightmare of that job, if you mess it up, they aren't selling FG hardtops anymore, so there's no backup plan. :/

I still have several left

1 month later
#2655 1 year ago
BB106115-34BE-4246-9B73-A25A8D246DFC (resized).jpegBB106115-34BE-4246-9B73-A25A8D246DFC (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#2868 1 year ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

If anyone is currently at the Chicago Pinball Expo... would you please go to the Outside Edge booth & post a few quality pictures of the Whirlwind hardtop?
Also... please mention your thoughts & if you get a chance ask the guys from Outside Edge if they're happy with how it turned out.
Thank you very much!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2895 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I’m hearing outside edge is bringing out decals? Any more info on this?

If anyone was at Expo you saw my TOTAN in their booth. I actually applied the new decals right there. They introduced a new product line. Its called Bitchenglitter. It looks amazing! They are working on several more titles. Their cabinet art is by far the best that I have used and Im looking forward to this expansion.
20221020_125526 (resized).jpg20221020_125526 (resized).jpg20221020_140304 (resized).jpg20221020_140304 (resized).jpgTOTAN glitter test (resized).pngTOTAN glitter test (resized).png

#2897 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yes I saw a video which showcased your TOTAN. I heard the marco radcals for TOTAN are basically brown/wrong color.
Do you have a link of where to buy it? Sounds super easy to apply (easier than radcals)?

http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

It does not look like they have updated it yet

#2899 1 year ago

To Expo and beyond

E522D0B3-71E3-40AD-BA33-97957CDDB206 (resized).jpegE522D0B3-71E3-40AD-BA33-97957CDDB206 (resized).jpeg
8 months later
#3221 8 months ago

a little birdy said 2 weeks

8 months later
#3336 13 days ago
Quoted from mrbvp1:

So, has anyone done the 2.0 yet? Curious if any issues.

It will be in the Hardtop booth at PinBrew

IMG_4996 (resized).jpegIMG_4996 (resized).jpegIMG_4999 (resized).jpegIMG_4999 (resized).jpegIMG_5021 (resized).jpegIMG_5021 (resized).jpegIMG_5428 (resized).jpegIMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3342 6 days ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

How much is the thicker plastic messing up the spinner disc height?

Absolutely no issue. The spinners are quite adjustable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skypilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=Skypilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.