• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 5 years ago

Could you add Elektra to the list? Apparently no one has done the upper or lower playfields. Those aren't full size so they may not be too hard to make. Seems like just about everyone needs those. The middle one is already covered so with these all three levels would be great.

1 month later
#160 5 years ago

Would like to remind about the need for both the small upper and small lower playfields for Elektra. Those always get wiped out and there isn't a good option to fix or replace them. I think that is the only missing restoration piece for that game since plastics and cabinet stencils are available.

1 month later
#184 5 years ago

I think a lot of Elektra owners who love to see the small lower playfield done as well as the upper since that always gets trashed.

1 month later
#249 5 years ago

Waiting for the upper and lower Elektra playfields.

5 months later
#649 5 years ago

Any chance on a Hardtop set for Elektra? At least the upper playfield and optionally the lower one. Those are usually wiped out on many of those games.

1 month later
#709 4 years ago

So will there be more Flash Gordon hardtops available? I'm going to be interested in a set too.

1 week later
#721 4 years ago

Need a hard top for the upper and lower Elektra playfields.

1 week later
#747 4 years ago

We still need a Hardtop set for the upper and lower Elektra playfields. Those are always blown out. Should be half the size of a regular hardtop.

1 week later
#769 4 years ago

Still hoping for an Elektra upper and lower set. Most are blown out and I could use a set...

#780 4 years ago

I think you may end up filling in some of the wood, sanding flat, and putting in new inserts. Or look for another donor playfield.

1 month later
#880 4 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Is there somewhere where we can put a vote in for a hardtop title? I'd like a Flash Gordon but acquired the game after the production run ran out.

Do you need an extra populated playfield? I have one that I was going to use to help with a Hardtop install. Planned to build it up then swap out the whole thing. That way the original was intact and used as a reference.

I've missed all the Flash Gordon games that came up and am just moving on to something else. So I don't really need to hang onto it.

1 month later
#909 4 years ago

Elektra? At least the upper and basement playfields...

1 month later
#1011 4 years ago

Still holding out hope for an Elektra set. At least the upper and lower playfields..

4 weeks later
#1054 4 years ago
Quoted from swpinball:

Just PM’d outside edge but i thought i would share this absolutely terrible touch up job using magic markers on a high speed i picked up several years ago. A hardtop makeover would be a great solution![quoted image]

I have an Elektra with a matching upper playfield. Hope that they come out with a hardtop set for that upper and the lower playfield. A lot of Elektra owners need them.

3 weeks later
#1102 4 years ago

Any chance of getting the upper and lower playfield hardtops for Elektra? Those are always blown out. I could use a set to restore my game.

2 weeks later
#1141 4 years ago

Any hope for an upper and lower Elektra set? Those are the two playfields that always get trashed and are desperately needed. I could use a set (or two) for sure.

They aren't large playfields so maybe you could fit them in?

1 month later
#1268 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I'm threatening to actually get around to replacing inserts on my Blackout. All of the arrows/triangles are starburst.
I was thinking about clear and bought clear round inserts, then I bought jeweled inserts. Both of those are harder to find in all of the colors and sized you need.
In the end, I have starburst inserts for every colored insert. I think it will look better in the long run.

If you change them save your old inserts. If any are decent I’d be interested in buying them. I need to remove some of my inserts to sand flat and reglue. I may need spares and would prefer to stay original.

#1273 4 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

I swapped them out on a Blackout and still have the originals. They'd need to be sanded but they're yours if you can use them.

That would be awesome. Mine need to be sanded and I’ve been putting it off. Mainly because if I mess any up I couldn’t match them.

2 weeks later
#1317 4 years ago

Still would like to see a set for the Bally Elektra. Just the small upper and small lower who make a lot of people happy.

3 weeks later
#1376 4 years ago

Still looking for a hard top solution for the small upper and lower Playfields on Elektra. As soon as those are available I’m putting all my other projects on hold to refresh my game. Could actually use a couple of the small lower playfields.

1 week later
#1392 4 years ago

Many Elektra games have an upper and lower Playfield touch ups that look like these pictures. Definitely need a hard top solution for these small upper playfields and the small lower one. Hope this gets on the list.

40AEADE7-6928-4B5C-968C-E7D217DC2B1E (resized).jpeg40AEADE7-6928-4B5C-968C-E7D217DC2B1E (resized).jpegEF824F2E-20BF-4DEB-B079-AFB2AC3330EE (resized).jpegEF824F2E-20BF-4DEB-B079-AFB2AC3330EE (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1408 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Any chance of an updated poll,, just as a way to gauge interest in upcoming titles that may be in the works. Sure would help to know which project pins to keep an eye out for just knowing that a hardtop could be an option one day.

I hope so. Would like to see Elektra make the list. We really need al set with the small upper playfield and the small lower playfield. Those are more often than not trashed. I would be up for one or two sets of those.

1 week later
#1418 4 years ago

Waiting to order a couple Elektra sets if those are ever done.

1 month later
#1555 3 years ago

Still hope that they do the small upper and lower playfields for Elektra. Most need them and I’d be up for a couple sets.

2 weeks later
#1573 3 years ago

Still holding out hope for Elektra.

1 month later
#1625 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Already have a Blackout Hardtop.
Bought this Blackout.
To Hardtop or not to Hardtop? Lol
Its in such good shape i dont know if i want to waste the Hardtop on this one. Inserts are cupped and raised in areas but overall its got little to no wear
[quoted image]

At least for the triangle inserts without writing you can remove, sand flat, and re-glue. Paint wise that is probably one of the nicest playfields I've seen. In that regards a hardtop would ruin it. If you want to use that Hardtop get a roached playfield and then transfer over the parts. Just don't mess up a fine original example.

1 month later
#1698 3 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

What is the best option to trim those outsavings from scope holes: before or after the installation?
Possible that those outsavings can create air build up under the hardtop?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would think something like these may work:

ebay.com link: i

2 weeks later
#1736 3 years ago

Myself and many others are still hoping that the upper and lower playfields of the Bally Elektra will be on the list soon. I'd be up for one or two sets of those.

1 week later
#1751 3 years ago

Elektra?

2 months later
#1806 3 years ago

Any word if Elektra is in the queue? It sounds like CPR was toying with the idea but I don't know if that will ever happen. Elektra owners (myself included) really could use a hardtop option for at least the upper and lower playfield. I'd buy two sets if they made those. I have a vinyl overlay I could use if I have to but would prefer a hardtop. Really want to refresh that whole game. It plays perfect and over the last couple years has been used as my test fixture. Just want to make it look as good as it plays and finally bring it home.

Will we ever get a hardtop for Elektra or should we stop asking?

#1808 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sure will get one eventually, but if you look at the poll, it is currently not on their list to do. But, they have been known to throw in a surprise or two now and then.

I sure hope so! That will help inspire me to do the code updates on the game. I did some a while back that were well received for BlackJack and have some things planned for Elektra. Want to build up to a 3 ball multiball having the lower playfield active too. Should be able to do it with plug in mods so it is all reversible. also thinking about adding a playfield magnet on the lower to mix things up but want to find the smallest phyisical option for that. Was going to use my extra lower for that purpose.

2 months later
#1924 3 years ago

Would still like to get a set for Elektra. Almost all need at least the upper and the lower.

1 month later
#1983 2 years ago

Elektra still needs a Hardtop set and I'm sure there are some Mr & Mrs Pacman games that could use one too!

1 week later
#2011 2 years ago

Request for two that are desperately needed to save a lot of roached playfields:

- Bally Elektra set

- Bally Mr and Mrs Pacman

1 month later
#2027 2 years ago

Throwing out another vote for the Bally Elektra. At least the upper and small lower playfields. There is a need for these!

1 month later
#2071 2 years ago

Still looking for an Elektra set.

2 weeks later
#2107 2 years ago

Would be awesome if one of their ads showed crystals. A hardtop set is really needed for the Bally Elektra! At least the upper and lower playfields.

A lot of people could use these. Is it even on the list to be considered?

2 weeks later
#2121 2 years ago

Any word if Elektra is on the list to be made? Would be nice to know if it is a potential option or just off the list.

2 weeks later
#2128 2 years ago

Any Hardtops in the queue for Elektra or Space Invaders? Both Bally games could use one.

2 weeks later
#2157 2 years ago

Are you ever going to consider doing an Elektra Hardtop set? At least the upper and lower. It would be great if you can make a set. Or if CPR or Mirko or someone else would make a playfield set. Elektra is a title that could really use something.

1 week later
#2159 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I’ve learned at this point not to hold your breath. I would buy those and one for Cyclone!! We can only hope…. This hobby requires lots of patience!!!

I’ve got plenty of projects I can work on in the meantime but I would buy two Elektra sets if they make them. A lot of people could use them for this title. My game plays well and for years ended up being my test fixture for testing Bally boards after repairs. If they come out with a Hardtop that will be a good excuse to finally refresh the whole game and move it into the basement.

1 month later
#2201 2 years ago
Quoted from Ironphl:

I need An upper for sure, but I'd buy the 2 PF set. would look amazing.
ELEKTRA FOR THE WIN!

I'd buy one Elektra set for sure but will probably end up buying two sets if they make them!

1 week later
#2214 2 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Always an option.

I hope Elektra is also an option! Really would like to see a Hartop for that title.

#2217 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Yes, Elektra and Checkpoint would be another good one. Someone has to give them a good playfield to go off off though….

What if there are no more really nice perfect playfields? Does that mean it will never happen? I have decent upper I could loan out but it needs some tough up. I would expect that somone skilled in art clean up could reference photos and touch up the art work before printing. There has got to be an option.

1 month later
#2281 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

And Space Station

And Elektra.

2 weeks later
#2289 2 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

For anyone who's curious. I just received my F-14 Tomcat hardtop and the font issue and the Flight Insurance light have been corrected. This thing looks perfect in every way!

That's awesome! Now I hope they have time to work on Elektra upper and basement hardtops. They are small so hopefully won't take as much time as a fully hardtop. They are desperately needed to save a lot of games. I'd be up for two sets.

#2294 2 years ago

OMG! If this is for real that is awesome! I'll do what I can to help. My Elektra has been waiting to be refreshed for years.

1 month later
#2432 2 years ago

Current hint is for an Elektra. We don't really know beyond that.
Problem is PPS may have a deal with CPR and Mirco for no telling how long before a Hardtop can become available for Whirlwind.

I keep checking their site for when orders for Elektra open up. Mine definitely needs a set!

1 month later
#2487 1 year ago

Anyone know how close Elektra is coming along? Been checking every day so see if it was released yet. My cabinet is in good shape, backglass in great shape, upper and lower playfields roached.

1 week later
#2490 1 year ago

Still waiting for Elektra! Hope it is out soon.

#2510 1 year ago

Elektra is out! Just ordered a set for my game. First hardtop for me. Will be nice if they decide to do partial sets too with just the small upper and lower playfield hardtop sections.

#2523 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

Lol, they made plastic fields, it was a failure. They don't do it anymore. It's more expensive. Bonding the ink to the base will fix the chipping, is not a clear failure, that's a substrate bonding issue, not a top coat issue.

What do you mean plastic playfields were a failure? The Middle/main playfield on Elektra is covered in thick plastic and is fine. My issues are with the upper and lower playfields that were never protected. The upper on mine is really awful. There wasn’t a replacement playfield set available from anyone. It’s awesome there is now a hardtop available. The games I’ve run across that had hardtops were well done and played well.

#2531 1 year ago

They failed, I didn't say the fields themselves failed and were trashed. The business model failed. They were too expensive, harder to machine, and harder to repair if anything did get messed up.

I can see that. But since they hold up well I think that a Hardtop can be a great solution to fix up a lot of games that otherwise would remain trashed. I'd take one over the thin overlays.

#2534 1 year ago

The original post I replied to said he wouldn't be surprised if plastic fields became the norm. That was a failed idea already for the reasons above, plus many think they do not play right. A hardtop is an acceptable last resort of a trashed field. The issue is too many people put one on, then post what the game looked like originally and it had minimal wear. That is just a waste.

I totally agree on the point that hardtops get installed when they shouldn't. I've seen a few people that installed a hardtop on a playfield that actually looked pretty good as it was or could easily be touched up and restored. That is a waste. But for playfields like mine it is needed and I really doubt there is any difference in play for a properly installed hardtop or cleared original playfield. Once waxed they should play the same.

#2539 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Not quite sure why it's a waist?
Cupped inserts are a constant on these old playfields. Few people have the skill or interest in restoring a playfield and paying somebody else to do it is cost prohibitive for most. If you wish to purchase and install a Hard Top, that's your business! I enjoyed the whole process and will do it again. And it will look and play better with a smooth, new playfield surface than one with an old surface full of cupped inserts.

If it is just cupped inserts then it seems better and cheaper to just get a playfield protector. Accomplishes the same thing if you mainly just have cupped inserts. You get a smooth play surface but at least down the road if someone does want to restore the playfield they can and that option is still open.

It totally is up to the owner of a game and they can do whatever they want. But if it is a pretty nice playfield then sanding off original artwork that many people would be happy with as is then it is a waste. Save the hardtop for games that really need it. I like hardtops. The ones I've played were well done and looked great. I bought one myself and will be installing one. Just have a different threshold than you on when I think a Hardtop is justified or needed.

#2542 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

That is not even remotely the same thing! I had a playfield protector on my F-14. It sucked so bad, I cut it off. Dirt got under it constantly and looked like hell! Also, if it moves at all, it scratches the underside and then you're screwed. Which happened as well!

I didn't say it was the same thing. Just that it could accomplish the same thing. As with any of these your mileage may vary. Some people have have good results with playfield protectors and some not. Many people have had good experiences with hardtops and a few on here have not. Use whatever works best for you.

#2559 1 year ago

Question about inserts. I had an extra lower playfield for Elketra that I am going to do the hardtop installation on. Paint is bad and most inserts are missing. I bought new arrow inserts but they seem to be just a hair too big. Anyone run into this before? Who has inserts that fit the early Bally games?

#2561 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Did you clean out the glue from the insert holes?

I have not but I didn’t notice any glue. Will take a closer look.

1 week later
#2608 1 year ago

It's here! FedEx wasn't too kind to the package but I think these are ok. Need to look them over carefully. First impression is that they look amazing and will be nice to see how the game turns out with these installed.

HT_Elektra (resized).jpgHT_Elektra (resized).jpg
1 month later
#2649 1 year ago
Quoted from shimmydisc:

Bug guns, Hurricane and Nitro Ground Shaker?

Could be Twister...

2 months later
#2808 1 year ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

When I first saw it I thought the same…but there were some large parts of the playfield where the art was just flaking off bad. You can see it here.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That needed a hardtop for sure!

#2814 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

Got the new hardtop for my Xenon.
After laying the hardtop to try it on, I noticed that the top 4 holes on are too narrow.
What's the beat way to solve this issue?
[quoted image][quoted image]

If those are for the small rollover buttons then I think they are purposefully small. After lining up I think you are supposed to use a small router bit or Dremel to open them up to the final correct size. I'm going to need to do the same thing for Elektra for the larger rollover inserts. Bought a 3/16" flush trim router nit that was recommended earlier in the thread.

#2815 1 year ago

Here is a thread that covers those small rollover buttons and replacements that are available in different colors:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/c-587-6-bally-rollover-buttons-now-available-for-xenon-and-kos

#2819 1 year ago
Quoted from A1k71:

It's not matter of buying smaller rollover buttons.
The holes are not aligned at all

No, I just posted that in case you need new ones or wanted ones in a different color. I believe all of the small rollovers are the same size.

There are variations in the playfields so some holes are made smaller on purpose. Those are meant to be enlarged later once the hardtop is attached. May be able to carefully use a step drill, regular drill, dremel with appropriate cutter, or a small router bit.

3 weeks later
#2871 1 year ago
Quoted from rwilli82:

This is my struggle. I have a BK Limited Edition and cosmetically it looks great, but the game suffers from a little bit of English on the ball hitting inserts that are no longer level with the playfield or worse, the triangles have cupped. There's some wear down to the bare wood around a few of the inserts on the sword, but it's not really visible because its white. I've touched up the magna saves and not very many notice that it's been painted in some spots. It's tempting to put one of these on, but on a perfectly good game? I'm looking for the next winter project on it, but this one is where I cannot in good conscience pull the trigger on.

Sounds like you would be better off trying a playfield protector in this instance.

1 month later
#2986 1 year ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Lol who needs adhesive when you can just use screws?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You need to post the pictures with the screws in the Pinball horror thread. That is just crazy.

2 weeks later
#3018 1 year ago
Quoted from dq13:

"I picked up a Flash hardtop and have a couple questions.
My inserts have cupping and I keep seeing people say that the hardtop works great for cupping, no need to do anything. If you're already stripping and sanding down the playfield, why not just replace the inserts? Their printed instructions included, which I didn't see on their website, states that "leveling inserts and "eye dropper" filling cupped inserts is acceptable." My first pin and new to all this, but replacing "looks" easy...provided I can find the right inserts, so wouldn't that be a better option? Caveats?"
Replacing the inserts is a lot of labor for not a big pay off as the Hardtop will cover and level all inserts. I would definitely sand and clear coat to make them shine again, but that's it. Just my 2 cents

Cupping it can cover. Just make sure there are no RAISED inserts. Those would be a problem. As long as any that are raised get sanded level should be ok.

1 month later
#3071 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

So I laid down a little too much clear paint in one or two spots that hasn't dried in over two days. Any suggestions on how to remove the still tacky excess paint or do I just wait it out a few more days until it dries completely? (And then another 72 hours after that to install the hardtop)
[quoted image]

If it was summer I'd say try laying it out int he sun for a while. Maybe sit a box fan next to it and let it blow over the playfield for a day or two,

#3072 1 year ago

If any wide body Hardtops get created I think a good candidate would be the Williams Stellar Wars. Seems like a lot of those playfields get trashed.

#3074 1 year ago

Future Spa has been done quite a while ago.

I missed that one. Maybe there is hope for Stellar Wars then.

1 year later
#3296 56 days ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

I have a question that may have been covered, but I'm old, and hard to find crap......
I bought the clear hard top for supersonic, and I'm curious if the inserts, especially the star rollovers which are cutout, need to be raised, or if it's just so thin the ball travel doesn't notice?
I've noticed on that particular playfield, there are a lot of rollovers in that game, and several spots of cutouts in that overlay. Obviously can't put mylar, or clear vinyl over a star Rollover.
This is a 2.0 build with an all new playfield, new color scheme, inserts, pop bumpers, drops , etc to modern, newer colors, mechs, and sounds.

If it is just clear did you buy a playfield protector? Totally different than a hardtop. I thought all the hardtops has the artwork underneath.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.