• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#887 4 years ago

Where is the best place to get updates from Outside Edge? This thread?

I was hoping to go on their website & subscribe to an email update list, but I don't see that option anywhere. This is rather surprising for an online based company.

I just want to place an order as soon as they are back up & running. Thanks

#890 4 years ago
Quoted from johndheretic:

Hi, I'm hoping to get a 1985 William's Comet ordered when you're back to shipping, are there any already made or am I going to have to wait for it to be que'd up in production?

I gave up hunting down a stockpiled Mata Hari hardtop. I imagine they are going to slammed with orders once they re-open the store. I think they only print to order.

#903 4 years ago

I wasn’t complaining. I was just making a simple suggestion that they should have an automated mailing list on their website.

Hardtop you want out of stock? Fine. Would the customer like an email when the part arrives back in stock? Yes.

Simple as that. Customer get notified & doesn’t have to hassle the company with emails or deal with Pinside. And the company gets an list of buyers emails so they know how many of the item they might need to produce. Win/win

Patiently waiting. You guys rock

2 months later
#1034 4 years ago

Have you guys considered producing a hardtop for Viking? I'd be all over that

1 month later
#1121 4 years ago

Installation prep question:

On my Mata Hari, I'm worried that the original pop bumper nails are not countersunk far enough into the playfield. They might be an issue when the hardtop is put down & it wont lie perfectly flat. I have new replacement nails, but they will probably be difficult to remove. So I’m just wondering what others have done in this scenario. I'm leaning towards removing & countersinking the new nails.

Or perhaps with the original nails located under the skirt, it won't be an issue if they aren't countersunk?
NAILS (resized).jpegNAILS (resized).jpeg

#1128 4 years ago

I noticed last night that the MH hardtop has holes for the pop nail heads, unlike some previous hardtops like that space shuttle. So It might not matter if they are flush. I'll have to do a test fitting tonight.

#1134 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I would NOT recommend this. It is no different than some of the clear coat guys who will clear coat over hardware (like T-nuts). If this hardware ever needs to be replaced, it will now be under the hardtop.

Yeah after looking I pulled the old nails. No big deal, they came right out. I'll just countersink properly & install new nails.

The only other thing is deciding what to use to protect the exposed wood areas in the shooter lane. Leaning towards a wipe-on polyurathane. Too cold now & don't want to deal with Spraymax 2k.

2 weeks later
#1220 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I have an EK hardtop to be installed (eventually), and having handled this thing I can't imagine it "sagging" into a cupped insert, even over time.

This ^^^

Some serious overthinking going on here. The hardtop is a flat hard sheet of PETG plastic. Permanently secured & lies flat. It is not going to "sag" or "sink" in spots over cupped inserts. It's the least of your worries. The bigger concern is getting debris trapped over an insert during the install, having it misaligned after its secured, or looking at cracked inserts that you were too lazy to replace before installing the hardtop.

A hardtop is a simple restoration alternative for those of us who don't want (or have the skills) to go through the laborious process of doing an entire playfield swap & difficult touchups, clear coating or repairs to an original playfield.

#1235 4 years ago

Doing hardtop install today. Just noticed a couple things...

There’s no adhesive on the thin strip in the shooter lane. Is this a change on newly manufactured hardtops? Because all the videos I’ve seen have adhesive there. The wood side rails will keep it secured I guess, but I’d be happier if the adhesive was there.

Also noticed that the shoot lane cutout is shorter and the actual groove. I was expecting some difference, but I wasn’t expecting the cutout to be half the length of the grove. Looks funny to me.

Are these normal issues?

A601E721-AF31-42DB-ABF6-A16C407B22FC (resized).jpegA601E721-AF31-42DB-ABF6-A16C407B22FC (resized).jpeg680FD023-E047-47D8-93FE-DA879A6585D7 (resized).jpeg680FD023-E047-47D8-93FE-DA879A6585D7 (resized).jpeg
#1237 4 years ago

It must be longer than usual. I could cut the plactic but it would probably come out looking like garbage

#1240 4 years ago

Not likely with this particular game's history. Long shooter groove probably just a manufacturing variance. Who knows. I'm not worried about it. Debated cutting the plastic, but one slip of the knife could have made look even worse. Then I'd be obsessing that I didn't cut the plastic correctly. I just installed the hardtop as is.

The fact there was no adhesive on the thin strip is an advantage now. If dirty gets under the groove, the side rail can be unscrewed (no more staples), and that flap can be easily lifted, blasted away with airhose underneath & wiped with novus q-tip.

That said the playfield looks fantastic now. Very thrilling pulling off the protective sheet & seeing the vibrant colors/shine for the first time. Very satisfied with this product

1 month later
#1345 4 years ago

Nice to see SOF is ready for purchase. Looking forward to seeing what's next in the pipeline.

Probably makes more sense to produce hardtops for widely produced games like F-14, because you'll likely sell more. But there is also value in producing these hardtops for classic lower run titles that other companies won't reproduce playfields for too.

Hopefully you guy consider looking at releasing more classic widebody hardtops for owners who really need them, like Embryon. And I think you'd have a goldmine of sales on your hands if you reproduced classic Stern hardtops (like Nine Ball, Cheetah, etc) as well.

Loving the hardtop on my Mata Hari. Keep up the great work in 2020 guys!

1 year later
#2204 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

They do have access to the Gottlieb library though

If this is true, then they should REALLY look into producing a hardtop for Alien Star. Outstanding early solid state that deserves to be restored. Majority of owners all have roached or worn playfields. No faith at this point in Mirco getting reproduction PFs done.

They would sell a ton of these.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=HoakyPoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.