• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Apinjunkie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1228 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Comet certainly looks beautiful with a hard top.
[quoted image]

Hard to go wrong with a mirror-like finish, looks amazing!

3 weeks later
#1276 4 years ago

Finally pulled the trigger ordered a hardtop for my space shuttle Friday, built a rotisserie over the weekend , and started The top side tear down today.

#1284 4 years ago

Life is good!

20200212_172127 (resized).jpg20200212_172127 (resized).jpg20200212_015457 (resized).jpg20200212_015457 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1339 4 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Ya I saw that one.
looked at a few other threads on them and saw someone post that the cost for building one was not much less than buying one of those. Just checked the FB marketplace near me and found a wooden one that I may grab for $50

That's what I did, don't have any plans, I just checked out the wooden one from that site and built it with wood that I have laying around and 28 bucks in Hardware .it's not pretty, I'm no Carpenter but it's done the job super well and she's been spinning on that for almost a month now. Screwed it directly into the table once the Playfield was in place so I don't get any sideways movement.
20200211_100930 (resized).jpg20200211_100930 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1357 4 years ago

You guys rock!what a great product. My space shuttle has needed a facelift for 25 years and this was just what the doctor ordered. Can't wait to finish the reassembly and try out this new surface.

20200310_152316 (resized).jpg20200310_152316 (resized).jpg20200310_234636 (resized).jpg20200310_234636 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1375 4 years ago

Imagine if you will, you've been married to the same machine for 25 years. You know every curve, every flaw, every imperfection but that's what makes her special, you still love her, just maybe aren't as attracted to her as you used to be. Then one day you find out about a product that for a couple hundred bucks and a little bit of time ,you could dial back the clock and she would look like she did the day you met her, better then the day you met her.Thank you Outside Edge, our relationship has never been better.
20200320_195810 (resized).jpg20200320_195810 (resized).jpg20200320_144412 (resized).jpg20200320_144412 (resized).jpg20200320_144525 (resized).jpg20200320_144525 (resized).jpg20200322_205628 (resized).jpg20200322_205628 (resized).jpg20200322_205821 (resized).jpg20200322_205821 (resized).jpg20200320_204919 (resized).jpg20200320_204919 (resized).jpg20200323_195637 (resized).jpg20200323_195637 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1399 4 years ago

Any chance of an updated poll,, just as a way to gauge interest in upcoming titles that may be in the works. Sure would help to know which project pins to keep an eye out for just knowing that a hardtop could be an option one day.

#1402 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

That's mine too, almost exactly - can't take any credit, I saw it somewhere else on Pinside, probably in the rotisierre thread. I had the scrap wood in the garage, total cost was about 10 bucks for the angle iron/hardware. Pf gets clamped w 2" C-clamps.[quoted image][quoted image]

There's a good reason ours look so similar, yours was the one I saw pictured in another thread and modeled my design after. Performed flawlessly. Thanks for sharing whether you knew you did or not.

#1404 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

You guys coulda been cool like me and used your dining room table.... Lmao

Your not married are you?

#1406 4 years ago

Today is our 14th anniversary. Lol

Congrats, you must have a good woman if she lets you do that on the dining room table

#1412 4 years ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

Mines coming along. Went with clear starpost and clear rubbers. Also did star post lights on the slings to add some pop.
I really want to do all Blue LEDs think it might be too much.
There will be a blue trough light as well as clear pop bumpers with blue LED rings.

So can we expect the clear ramp to be going with all those other clear pieces

2 weeks later
#1432 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

What method did you all use to get a “jewel finish” for your inserts? The website says to either clear them or to use 2000 grit paper. I’m not near 2000 yet but a lot of them are already looking pretty good.[quoted image]

Wet sand to 2000 then Novus 2

20200421_215628_012_saved (resized).jpg20200421_215628_012_saved (resized).jpg
#1443 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

I wouldn’t think there would be if the table was tack clothed and cleaned before installing. Anyways I got an update today. I’m expecting my hardtop to arrive tomorrow!

Even after using a tack cloth you want to have your holder use compressed air to blow the underside of the hardtop off, a lot of static electricity once that film is pulled off so anything in the air will stick to the underside of the hardtop. Good luck with your install.

1 week later
#1473 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Getting pretty close to having my EBD playfield tear down completed to get ready for sanding and installing a new hardtop. I'm stuck on the star rollover. Is there a recommended process for removing the housing/insert? I tried tapping it up from under the playfield but it's not budging. I don't care if it breaks or cracks as I have a new housing and a new star to install after the hardtop goes on, but I was wondering if there was an easy way to pop this out vs. shattering it with brute force and then cleaning up any remaining plastic bits stuck to the sides of the hole.[quoted image]

Use a heat gun, or blow dryer to loosen up the adhesive and It will pop right out.

#1500 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Question on the Eight Ball Deluxe hardtop (looks great, BTW....I just laid mine down this afternoon). Is there supposed to be adhesive under the small, narrow clear strip that goes to the outside of the shooter lane? I seem to recall there was on the Mata Hari hardtop I installed last year but there doesn't appear to be on the Eight Ball Deluxe. It'll get secured by the rail set when those are screwed in anyway, just curious.[quoted image]

My shuttle was the same way, and you're right the rails hold that piece in place just fine.

2 weeks later
#1526 3 years ago

Will 100% do my F14 when it gets announced. F this bubbling mylar.

Hey KSU, how'd the EBD turn out?

#1529 3 years ago

Still at my friend's house lol. He's fighting the shooter lane bwahahaha

Damn shooter Lanes, when will we ever learn to just say," f*** it, it's good enough for who it's for" and move on.

2 months later
#1620 3 years ago

I swapped out a number of the inserts on my space shuttle, small amount of two-part epoxy applied directly to the sides of the insert holes is the way to go. Apply from the underside to avoid getting any excess glues on to the Playfield . Sand the side of the insert prior to applying the glue so that it has something to bite to before inserting.

#1630 3 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

What is the skill level necessary in applying this to a playfield?
Am I understanding correctly that once a hardtop for a specific machine is created, then it is virtually in stock indefinitely (just needs to be printed, and remains in the catalog of games available)? I would like to get the Pin-Bot as soon as I save up enough allowance money (aka when the wife says it's ok).
Thanks!

Check out this bride of pinbot Club thread, a good way to touch base with people that have already installed the hardtop .
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-clubnon-20

1 week later
#1640 3 years ago
Quoted from Jenniebear:

Is it normal to see the printer lines on the hardtop? I’m not to happy about the print quality.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is that an image after the protective plastic film has been pulled off the top?

#1642 3 years ago
Quoted from Jenniebear:

Yes, that is what it looks like with the film removed. It looks terrible.

Yikes, I agree, that looks a little off. I know of at least 10 others from the shuttle Club ,myself included,that haven't had those kind of issues with the hardtop at all. I would contact outsideedge, I'm sure they will do right by you. I've always wondered how much of a pain in the butt it would be to remove that if I had to, maybe you can let us know. May have to fire up the heat gun and find that good putty knife.

#1645 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I've had to re-do one. It's not pretty.

That's why I wondered, I could only imagine. Probably be like,if a dumpster fire and a trainwreck had a baby.

#1674 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

There are four types of products you can buy for your playfield:
1. Repro playfield - expensive.
2. Clear playfield protector to place on top of your heavily worn playfield. You’ll still see your heavily worn playfield. Available on EBay.
3. A playfield overlay. Many people complain that the size or colors aren’t correct. Available on EBay.
4. Hardtop exclusively from Outside Edge. It’s a clear playfield protector that has the playfield art reverse printed on the bottom of it. The other side of the protector, (where the rolls on) is clear. The bottom side with the artwork has an adhesive and a removable film. You adhere the hardtop to your playfield. There are lots of installation videos here, vid1900 made a forum about installation, and lots of people have made suggestions in this forum.

1 week later
#1685 3 years ago
Quoted from xamindar:

I'm thinking of doing this to my Black Knight. Do you guys think mine is a good candidate to do this to? I have held on to a pretty good upper playfield for a few years that was touched up. Original plan was to clearcoat it and the lower. Just haven't gotten around to it and I also need to re-stencil my cab. But maybe just getting the hard top is the better route?
I haven't done this extensive of work on any of my pins before and do not have a rotisserie either. Do I need one?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'd say that's a great candidate for a hard top. As for the rotisserie it's definitely going to make a big difference if you have one. You can build one like this for under forty bucks. Worked great for me. And yeah as long as you're doing it swap out the inserts. https://images.pinside.com/7/2d/72dcba2659a6f5598146ddbd9539a81f4945c686/resized/large/72dcba2659a6f5598146ddbd9539a81f4945c686.jpg

1 week later
#1699 3 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

What is the best option to trim those outsavings from scope holes: before or after the installation?
Possible that those outsavings can create air build up under the hardtop?

My hardtop looked the same when I received it there should be no need to trim those at all it's just excess protective film . It will pull up with the rest of the protective material after the hard tops in place .

#1702 3 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

I was talking about the scoop holes.
The holes of the hardtop are the same size as the inner diameter of the scoop holes.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Okay then, that being said I would do any adjusting you needed to do after the hardtop is in place. Most importantly align with your inserts if you still feel the need that you need to trim the scoop holes you can use a Dremel bit once it's in place.

2 months later
#1770 3 years ago

Cool, I didn't even know there was a Finding Nemo machine.

1 year later
#2298 2 years ago

So Electra is a unique bird indeed, the main playfield is essentially already hard topped. A lot of owners may only be interested in the upper and lower playfields. It may be in outside edges best interest to do extra runs of the upper and lowers and allow owners to cherry pick to suit their own needs. Any chance?

#2301 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I’m guessing it’s going to be the upper and lower only. No way to do the main really unless they make it the thickness of the original with the print on it but I can’t see that happening.

I figured the main play field area would be designed to install under the existing Plexi, but that's just a guess. I don't really see a need for it on most machines since the ball has never touched that artwork in 40 years. Still the artwork may have faded over those 40 years so maybe there is a need.

1 month later
#2424 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

why would i want to pay a lousy plastic game?

Dude, if you have something constructive to add to the thread, please do, otherwise do us all a favor and save it for Facebook.

1 week later
#2445 2 years ago

So... I'm conflicted on what to do here. The pop base screw holes don't line up..although they didn't apparently line up with the original bases either. I'm afraid to punch new holes so close to the ones that are there, in the event that it blows out and drifts over causing the whole assembly to wobble. Thoughts?

Ask vid1900

#2446 2 years ago

If it was me, I would fill the holes that are not aligned and redrill. But first I would ask vid

1 month later
#2478 1 year ago
Quoted from Galdaien:

Are these scuffs where the inserts/clear parts are considered fine/normal? Just wanted to make sure before laying it on. Doesn't seem to clean off.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Do you still have the plastic film on the bottom side?

#2481 1 year ago
Quoted from Galdaien:

I took off the top film. I don't think the bottom has a film other than the adhesive paper?

That's what you're seeing in that picture, peel back a corner to double check but it should be crystal clear once that adhesive back is removed.

3 weeks later
#2615 1 year ago
Quoted from digdug2084:

I looked over the thread relatively quickly, but I need some advice. I recently got a game with a hardtop installed and the person just put the hardtop on over the star rollovers. The rollover holes in the hardtop are creating ball traps. What do you good folks suggest to be the best way to remedy this?

This is kind of funny, but only because it's happening to someone else and not to me. To actually address the issue though, I would think you'd have to remove the rollovers from the bottom of the playfield. Then you can safely cut out the inserts with a Dremel or router. Since you have to do it anyway, this may give us the definitive answer to the great debate of whether shavings will get under the hardtop if you cut it after it's been laid down. Thanks for taking one for the team.

1 month later
#2654 1 year ago

Big guns, twister, nitro. Only going with twister cuz most everyone I've seen is really chewed up.

3 months later
#2851 1 year ago

I installed mine on a space shuttle in early 2020 well over 500 plays and it still looks as nice as the day I put it in. Best thing I ever did to that old bird.

1 month later
#2952 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Any new news on the cabinet decals they are making for Space Shuttle?
The sample picture looked really cool and I starting a restore on a Space Shuttle.

Cabinet decals, for space shuttle, where did you see the image? I'd be interested in seeing these.

#2956 1 year ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Space Shuttle is worth the time to stencil it instead of decals.

I've thought about it, I've had my shuttle for 25 years, just curious about other options.

#2959 1 year ago

Those are cool,are they from outside edge and do they have decals for the head as well?

1 year later
#3328 45 days ago

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter why prices have gone up or by what percentage.What should matter is that someone can come up with a reliable fix or simple adjustment for the star roll-overs that are already problematic when installing a hard top. I can only see this getting tricker as the new pieces will be a little thicker.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Apinjunkie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tu=Apinjunkie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.