• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #274 Upcoming Game List Posted by Outsidedge (5 years ago)

Post #870 Hardtop Hiatus Clarification Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1086 New Website - 11/29/2019 Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1142 Xenon Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Post #1246 Pin*bot Hardtop Available Posted by Outsidedge (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "Blackout ".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#204 5 years ago

So, can we use the current poll results as an indication of what's next?

I'm impatiently waiting for a Blackout but it would appear there are four titles ahead of it after High Speed is done.

2 weeks later
#274 5 years ago

Alright folks.... I will start a new round thread as well, but as a result of these polls coupled with emailed requests and comments at shows ... Here is the next round. The only wild card is Eight ball Deluxe. I need to confirm rights/permission first.

NEXT UP:
Eight ball Deluxe (pending)
Pinbot
Swords of Fury
Grand Lizard
Blackout

As we grow with titles we will try to do a better job on social media also. We are guilty of being consumed with commercial print work most of the time, and these marketing/communication steps sometimes fall by the wayside when it comes to our beloved pinball efforts.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Alright folks.... I will start a new round thread as well, but as a result of these polls coupled with emailed requests and comments at shows ... Here is the next round. The only wild card is Eight ball Deluxe. I need to confirm rights/permission first.
NEXT UP:
Eight ball Deluxe (pending)
Pinbot
Swords of Fury
Grand Lizard
Blackout
As we grow with titles we will try to do a better job on social media also. We are guilty of being consumed with commercial print work most of the time, and these marketing/communication steps sometimes fall by the wayside when it comes to our beloved pinball efforts.

Grand Lizard and Blackout. Perfect. I'm in for both.

You will have another location with hardtop testing.

#287 5 years ago

Blackout.........YES!!
Already have the repo backglass....
Now I just need Pinball Pimp to make stencils (hint, hint, to anyone out there with a Blackout nice enough to send scans to Jeff) :D

2 weeks later
#341 5 years ago
Quoted from johnnycruzr:

Blackout.........YES!!
Already have the repo backglass....
Now I just need Pinball Pimp to make stencils (hint, hint, to anyone out there with a Blackout nice enough to send scans to Jeff)

Just saw Blackout on the list that's awesome. I got to really look mine over and decide if i go hardtop or traditional restoration mine isn't terrible but not sure if its good enough to be touched up and cleared and come out nice enough cause the Hardtops looks amazing.

I'm actually not to far from Pinball Pimp, about 5 hours. I actually reached out to him also about taking him my Trident so he could scan it and make the stencil. I think my Blackout is pretty decent also i might be able to just take both to him if someone can't get him good scans.

#359 5 years ago

In for a Blackout

#360 5 years ago

Yep, Blackout for me as well. Definitely.

5 months later
#696 4 years ago

Has there been any status update on the top for Blackout?

3 weeks later
#746 4 years ago

Please do a run of Blackout. I dont even have one anymore but all the ones I've looked at recently have shit playfields

1 week later
#760 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

is there a good possibility of a Grand Lizard hard top?

Announced last October:

���Hello All,
We are happy to announce or next 5 titles we plan to have available in the next 12-14 months (by end of 2019). They are....

Eight Ball Deluxe (permission pending)
Pinbot
Swords of Fury
Grand Lizard
Blackout

We do not (nor is it necessary) take pre orders. Please just keep your eyes open for the announcement here as each one hits the market.���

2 months later
#900 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Just thank God that Hardtops will never pool or chip People are losing their damned minds about that right now.

That's what I'm saying, it would be great if Hardtop was teaming up with a big manufacturer. Who wouldn't want to potentially sell a few thousands more units of whatever their selling.

I'm a fan of the Hardtop product, my Comet won Best in Show Restoration at the SFGE show a couple months ago. I couldn't tell you how many times I had to explain that it Wasn't a new playfield, it is a giant plastic sticker but it was the only pin with a Hardtop at the show. Most people had no idea what they were playing on and that's a good thing.

After all this clear coat stuff I looked at my HUO Star Trek Pro Vault last night and sure enough I have whatever you want to call it Pooling, lifting around posts less than 800 plays and a playfield protector on since day 1. My Comet got several hundred plays at the SFGE show and came away without a single scratch and that's amazing. If it was a major company selling pins and I had issues they could just send me another Hardtop would be less than a few days work for the average pinhead to pull the top side off and replace it.

Either way I'm in on a Blackout when production starts back up.

Side note I've recently found out about this S100 wax it doesn't leave residue to get get stuck under shooter lanes or whatnot. Great stuff.

20190714_155525_HDR (resized).jpg20190714_155525_HDR (resized).jpg20190823_233206_HDR (resized).jpg20190823_233206_HDR (resized).jpg20190823_233259_HDR (resized).jpg20190823_233259_HDR (resized).jpg20190815_202949 (resized).jpg20190815_202949 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#908 4 years ago

Blackout above all others ;)

#912 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hello All! We have trickled a few High Speeds out, and a handful of others over the summer. We are getting closer to resuming official sales on our site. (I hope 3 weeks from now). I did want to let all know that we will have a few of the following titles in the next week or so. PM me if you would like to order. Since we only have a few for a bit, we will wait until normal supply is up before turning on the automated order site @ pinballgifts.com
Available as a single complete unit or in some instances 3 of them:
Normal Space Shuttle
NON Hot Dog Space Shuttle
Comet
Evel K.
Future Spa
High Speed
Taxi Lola
Taxi Marylin
Black Knight
Firepower
Pharoah
NONE: Wizard!, Frontier, Mata Hari.... but working on it.
Yes, more titles coming... but we will not make announcements until it is ready to ship. (or maybe when final proto is going on)
Thanks!

Awesome. I really hope Blackout makes the cut ;)

2 weeks later
#933 4 years ago

BLACKOUT PLEASE.

1 week later
#965 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All,
An update on what we have in stock (and not). If you would like to order, just PM us with title, name, address and email address to PAYPAL
Most of these ... we have a few only.
IN STOCK:
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Wizard
Evel K.
Firepower
Taxi (both)
Future Spa
Pharaoh
Mata Hari
More coming soon:
Comet, Black Knight, Frontier
Next new title: EBD (timing.. December)
We are coming to Expo next week, but NOT exhibiting. We can bring a title with us to save you shipping if you like. Just PM us if interested.

No Blackout? Expo is ruined. Turn the car around lol.
I can wait.

#979 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All,
An update on what we have in stock (and not). If you would like to order, just PM us with title, name, address and email address to PAYPAL
Most of these ... we have a few only.
IN STOCK:
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Wizard
Evel K.
Firepower
Taxi (both)
Future Spa
Pharaoh
Mata Hari
More coming soon:
Comet, Black Knight, Frontier
Next new title: EBD (timing.. December)
We are coming to Expo next week, but NOT exhibiting. We can bring a title with us to save you shipping if you like. Just PM us if interested.

When is Blackout supposed to happen? I thought it was supposed to be "late 2019"...

3 weeks later
#1043 4 years ago

How much do hardtop sell for? I'm budgeting a project Blackout. Thanks

1 week later
#1059 4 years ago

FIREPOWER II please...right after Blackout! :)

4 weeks later
#1109 4 years ago

They said Blackout was supposed to be "late in 2019"...of course it isn't going to get much later in 2019...

#1112 4 years ago

I���m hoping Blackout is just the last design being worked out before new ones are added and it didn���t get dropped for some reason.

1 week later
#1167 4 years ago

Blackout has a good following and more votes than sof

1 week later
#1201 4 years ago

And sometimes, not having the Hardtop as soon as you would have wanted works in your favor.

I had picked up a Blackout that was a great candidate for a Hardtop, and earlier indications were that is wasn't going to be all that long before we'd see them. I'd have gotten one ASAP. Gave me the chance to put in a lot of time playing it which made me realize it was never going to be a keeper for me.

Moved it along for a decent price and saved myself some $$ and effort.

4 weeks later
#1267 4 years ago

I'm threatening to actually get around to replacing inserts on my Blackout. All of the arrows/triangles are starburst.
I was thinking about clear and bought clear round inserts, then I bought jeweled inserts. Both of those are harder to find in all of the colors and sized you need.
In the end, I have starburst inserts for every colored insert. I think it will look better in the long run.

#1270 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If you change them save your old inserts. If any are decent I���d be interested in buying them. I need to remove some of my inserts to sand flat and reglue. I may need spares and would prefer to stay original.

I swapped them out on a Blackout and still have the originals. They'd need to be sanded but they're yours if you can use them.

#1271 4 years ago

Has the blackout hardtop been released? I looked on the outside edge site and didn't see it listed. Just picked up a blackout and would love to spare myself the aggravation of insert leveling, or buying a pf protector if a hardtop is available (or coming very soon)...

#1272 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Has the blackout hardtop been released? I looked on the outside edge site and didn't see it listed. Just picked up a blackout and would love to spare myself the aggravation of insert leveling, or buying a pf protector if a hardtop is available (or coming very soon)...

Last I heard it was going to be in "late 2019" for Blackout.

I've been sitting on one for almost a year waiting for the hardtop...

3 weeks later
#1329 4 years ago

Any chance we will see a Whirlwind Hardtop in the future?
Also, wait until the fall to realease Blackout please. It was my first pin and I'm too broke to replace it right now lol.

1 week later
#1355 4 years ago

Is Blackout coming anytime soon?

#1362 4 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Is Blackout coming anytime soon?

If they did Blackout they can do Warlock too. Same exact playfield just different art.

#1365 4 years ago

And Blackout is common. I've never even seen a Warlock in the wild.

Edit: also Blackout is awesome so Warlock can eat it lol (jk, Blackout was my first pin and I've been looking to replace her)

1 month later
#1421 3 years ago

BLACKOUT! BLACKOUT! BLACKOUT!

Seeing as Mata Hari has been made and not Blackout, based on the poll is it next?!?

1 week later
#1445 3 years ago

Looks like a blackout.

#1452 3 years ago

Snagged a Black Knoght in need of Hardtop. I'm just waiting for the Blackout Hardtop to come out so I can order both at once.
What type of wood filler products are people having the best results with? The mb kickout is a bit if a mess. I'm going to fix it up and get some cliffys.

20200507_145634 (resized).jpg20200507_145634 (resized).jpg20200507_150358 (resized).jpg20200507_150358 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1523 3 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

[quoted image]

World's biggest coincidence that today is trending as Blackout Tuesday? Unintentional I would hope.

#1531 3 years ago

Just finishing up my pinbot made a few errors but still pretty nice just need a new plastic set.

Looking forward to doing my blackout, should be a much easier teardown than pinbot

20200602_165337 (resized).jpg20200602_165337 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1548 3 years ago

Sent payment for 3 Hardtops.
Blackout, Black Knight and High Speed.
Now I just need to find a Blackout to replace my old one.
My future votes go to EM games unless Whirldwind becomes available but I was already told by Outside Edge that they do not have the rights to it :(

4 weeks later
#1585 3 years ago

I've already posted this in a few groups but I thought this might be a good place to share it too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb4NBswIllE
Here is a look at my Blackout playfield restore with the Hardtop.

2 weeks later
#1587 3 years ago
Quoted from Mooseman:

I would like to add my vote for a Gorgar hardtop please

I already have confirmation that it will be available in the future ;)
When? Who knows. I waited about 2 yrs for Blackout. Worth it though

#1602 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Last time I checked, I'm not playing the cab. If it's in okay shape and I hardtop and bulletproof the game and it plays amazing, I'm happy. I have a row of 4 pins side by side right now and you can barely see the cabs. The only one I want to move out of there is my Iron Maiden because the side art is really cool.

Agreed. Some of those early SS Williams games have pretty uninspiring cabinet art anyway. Blackout and Firepower would be two. I thought about ordering stencils and doing my Blackout. I feel like I'd be more inclined to order stencils for some other space themed game with better cabinet art if I were going down that path.

2 weeks later
#1622 3 years ago

Already have a Blackout Hardtop.
Bought this Blackout.
To Hardtop or not to Hardtop? Lol
Its in such good shape i dont know if i want to waste the Hardtop on this one. Inserts are cupped and raised in areas but overall its got little to no wear

20200819_131232 (resized).jpg20200819_131232 (resized).jpg
#1632 3 years ago

Working on my second Hardtop title with Outside Edge (Blackout)... Looks like they just let that cat out the bag on that title.. (Don���t rush the process, still couple/few/several weeks away)
9C4D4769-7156-4204-83C7-2AA56F48C4D6 (resized).png9C4D4769-7156-4204-83C7-2AA56F48C4D6 (resized).png

1 week later
#1639 3 years ago
Quoted from Jenniebear:

Is it normal to see the printer lines on the hardtop? I���m not to happy about the print quality.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have 3 (BK, HS, BO) And 2 of my friend have them as well (FG, FP). None have this problem.
My High Speed has yellows and greys that im pretty unhappy with and its missing the liscense plate entirely for some reason. I might not use it now. (Still no print lines though)
Black Knight looks great and i cant wait to apply it.
Blackout is also very playfield accurate. I looked extra close at this one just now as it has lots of black space like your space shuttle but my blacks are clean.
My friends Flash Gordon has some bubbling in the upper playfield but i chalk that up to it being an early run and possible an entirely different material composition.
Firepower seemed really nice as well but he has only sent me pics. I have yet to see it in person.
Id contact outside edge as this doesnt look like the quality they unusually put out (which is mostly pretty stellar)

#1668 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I'm assuming because they're already high polished. If he wants to clear them they need to be roughed up some to accept the clear. I don't think you want to clear over polished inserts.

Ah. Yeah, I did minimal clear coating on my Blackout. I only did the exposed areas with no art. I also did all new inserts that I had step sanded and polished.

1 month later
#1748 3 years ago

GORGAR!!! I've had a blast helping Outside Edge prototype Blackout and Gorgar! I wish they could do Williams FLASH! Enjoy everyone!

Gorgar Shipping 2020-10-21_15-52-53 (resized).jpgGorgar Shipping 2020-10-21_15-52-53 (resized).jpg

#1752 3 years ago

Ive got a pair of flash..... i could help :)

blockquote cite="#5921770">GORGAR!!! I've had a blast helping Outside Edge prototype Blackout and Gorgar! I wish they could do Williams FLASH! Enjoy everyone!
[quoted image]

2 months later
#1833 3 years ago

Small question before I install a Blackout hardtop.
I noticed in the install videos for other games that there is adhesive in the shooter lane area. Blackout does not have this and I assume this is correct since the side rails will hold it down. Just wanted to make sure it���s not supposed to have adhesive under there.
Also there are 2 small strips of plastic connecting the open part of the shooter lane. Should I just remove these when I���m doing any trimming?

78B7E823-3833-4C3C-8CB3-3F0FF23A449B (resized).jpeg78B7E823-3833-4C3C-8CB3-3F0FF23A449B (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#1861 3 years ago

Yeah, that came outta nowhere. Where's Space Station and F-14?

I KNOW! The moment I place my order for Blackout, they'll announce Space Station to screw me out of combined shipping... ;)

(Seriously I was holding off thinking *maybe any moment now* but... arrgh. First World Problem, I know).

#1862 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Yeah, that came outta nowhere. Where's Space Station and F-14?
I KNOW! The moment I place my order for Blackout, they'll announce Space Station to screw me out of combined shipping...
(Seriously I was holding off thinking *maybe any moment now* but... arrgh. First World Problem, I know).

Order Blackout now!

IMG_7800 (resized).jpgIMG_7800 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1953 3 years ago

Very happy so far with my Blackout hardtop.

Two remarks for those who will get one too :

1. My hardtop was missing 2 holes, one for the "adjustable" left post of the left outlane, and one by the right flipper for the anti-cheat (flush) ball guide. This hole is right in the middle of the Blackout "K". Make sure you locate it before the installation.

2. I replaced all my inserts and simply ordered the same colors as I had initially. I should have put more thoughts into... Not sure why but Williams used some orange/amber arrow inserts in front of the top right drop targets bank. These are the targets related to the "transition Yellow" callout. Why didn't they use yellow inserts ? Same for the related small round insert between the red and green 5000s. It would have made way more sense to have these inserts all yellow... anyway too late for me but whoever is reading and in the process of restoring a Blackout, maybe consider yellow inserts if you want to bring more logic to your machine ;)

IMG_20210331_092520 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092520 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210331_092618 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210331_092535 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092535 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210331_092552 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092552 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210331_092543 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092543 (resized).jpg

#1955 3 years ago

Oooh yay look at me ahead of the trend, I made my upper Blackout inserts yellow when I replaced them a year ago :D I changed the right spinner loop arrow to Red too. Left all the others the same though since they weren't specifically called out by game's speech.

Still haven't plunged on the hardtop yet, kept thinking one of my other games was right around the corner.

~~~~

What additional licensing is needed for unlicensed themes like F14 and Space Station? I thought OE had already acquired such licenses in the WMS library from PPS? Those were on OE's original poll.

2 weeks later
#1964 3 years ago

Edit add on:
Of the 3 Hardtops ive purchased, this one is easily the biggest let down. The colour matching is not good on this one and some original art is missing from this print. Black Knight was beautiful, Blackout was pretty great as well. High Speed.....cant recommend this one unless your playfield is absolutely toasted (like mine was).

20210401_000428 (resized).jpg20210401_000428 (resized).jpg

5 months later
#2154 2 years ago

I had to trim my Blackout shooter lane. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until after I had adhered it. I got it done but probably would have been able to make it a bit cleaner if I had trimmed it before applying the hardtop.

5 months later
#2436 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

How many of you guys had to trim off the hard top at the shooter lane because it was too far to one side? My Gorgar is over hanging on the left side?

I had to do this on my Blackout. Trim the Hardtop BEFORE you adhere it. I learned that the hard way. Also, I've never noticed any ball jumping in the shooter lane.

1 week later
#2462 2 years ago

Soooo I f***ed up my Blackout hardtop install.

I should have vacuumed around the inserts before putting down the hardtop.
Now there's very visible dust and stuff stuck in the middle ...

Can't massage it out, can't blow it out.
I guess I can dremel out the inserts from below and put in new ones, but not sure about the results then.

Is it an option to remove the hardtop and put a new in place, or is the 3m tape too sticky for that and will take out the wood ?

1 month later
#2502 1 year ago

20220429_142151 (resized).jpg20220429_142151 (resized).jpgI installed one on my Blackout and I'm happy with results. Took my time and made sure the playfield was perfectly clean before I applied it. Once it was down for the few holes that were off I just took an old soldering iron with a fine tip and melted the plastic directly above the screw holes in the playfield so they were back in line.

20211111_151720 (resized).jpg20211111_151720 (resized).jpg23194 (resized).jpeg23194 (resized).jpeg20220324_122544 (resized).jpg20220324_122544 (resized).jpg
#2506 1 year ago

My Blackout Hardtop made it onto the tournament stream at Allentown. Pretty neat.

Blackout on stream (resized).pngBlackout on stream (resized).png
3 months later
#2723 1 year ago

I have seen a lot of people putting black around the inserts. I have done a Blackout, Gorgar and Firepower. I haven't ever had the need to do this. Before applying it, you lay the hardtop down to see how things are lining up. If I ran into a situation where the optimal position for the hardtop still left some wood showing by an insert then I would worry with preemptively painting key lines. I use two big rubber footed clamps, at one end, to hold the hardtop in place when applying it. That has kept it from drifting any when pulling the backing off and sticking that end of the hardtop.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "Blackout ".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread?tq=Blackout+&tu= and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.