• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 67.
#3001 1 year ago

That looks like it was mylar removal damage.

#3002 1 year ago
Quoted from jcar302:

That looks like it was mylar removal damage.

Yeah, I could see that. No way of knowing for sure though. There were multiple crappy touch-ups to compliment the fade. The hardtop looks and plays great.

#3003 1 year ago
Quoted from slag:

I don't think I've seen a Williams Flash on here yet so I figured I'd post it even though it's not done. They did a great job.
[quoted image]

Good to hear! I just ordered my Flash Hardtop last night! Hopefully I'll have it installed shortly after the new year.

#3004 1 year ago

I still have a Flash Gordon hardtop for sale if anyone needs

1 week later
#3005 1 year ago

Got my F14 hardtop installed.
Overall, quite pleased with it.
Only issue I have is there was apparently some sort of residue left on some of the printed areas for the inserts.
Didn't see it until I peeled off the top side protective layer.
Kinda ruins all the work that went into polishing the inserts
Hopefully once back in the cabinet and glass is on it is not as noticeable.... I'll probably be the only one that ever even notices it anyway!
Now to finish getting it put back together and play some PINBALL!!!!!!!!
20221225_153030 (resized).jpg20221225_153030 (resized).jpg20221225_164956 (resized).jpg20221225_164956 (resized).jpg20221228_213731 (resized).jpg20221228_213731 (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20221228_210110_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221228_210110_Gallery (resized).jpg
#3006 1 year ago

I picked up a Flash hardtop and have a couple questions.

My inserts have cupping and I keep seeing people say that the hardtop works great for cupping, no need to do anything. If you're already stripping and sanding down the playfield, why not just replace the inserts? Their printed instructions included, which I didn't see on their website, states that "leveling inserts and "eye dropper" filling cupped inserts is acceptable." My first pin and new to all this, but replacing "looks" easy...provided I can find the right inserts, so wouldn't that be a better option? Caveats?

Second, my shooter lane is pretty off between the playfield and hardtop. I planned on calling Outside Edge next week, but did anyone else encounter this? Hard to tell, but including a photo.

It's just sitting on top currently, going to start sanding tomorrow! Hopefully can install it next weekend!

PXL_20221231_201231616 (resized).jpgPXL_20221231_201231616 (resized).jpg

#3007 1 year ago

Would you guys hardtop this playfield?

14AECE07-E96C-474C-BAC6-1A8A7210B171 (resized).jpeg14AECE07-E96C-474C-BAC6-1A8A7210B171 (resized).jpeg29837BC9-E984-4515-819D-B1FE0F28B2F8 (resized).jpeg29837BC9-E984-4515-819D-B1FE0F28B2F8 (resized).jpeg3DC40E32-BA9D-4B9C-81DA-7E2A04F709D1 (resized).jpeg3DC40E32-BA9D-4B9C-81DA-7E2A04F709D1 (resized).jpegA1AE0DBB-5DB5-41DC-8454-D1F8BACBDBF6 (resized).jpegA1AE0DBB-5DB5-41DC-8454-D1F8BACBDBF6 (resized).jpegCE5234CC-C220-45A3-AB46-BEE7AEA8DB92 (resized).jpegCE5234CC-C220-45A3-AB46-BEE7AEA8DB92 (resized).jpegDB65A7B4-09BB-4616-8817-6E4F2CF70289 (resized).jpegDB65A7B4-09BB-4616-8817-6E4F2CF70289 (resized).jpegDEEC3C12-D221-4F2D-AC64-CF27C0C6B4A2 (resized).jpegDEEC3C12-D221-4F2D-AC64-CF27C0C6B4A2 (resized).jpeg
#3008 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

HELL NO!

#3009 1 year ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yes.

#3010 1 year ago

Previous owner put decals over some of the inserts, like the white bonus lights and S-H-U-T-T-L-E, which I’m not a huge fan of. Also makes the ball roll weird sometimes when it catches an edge. There are decals over some inserts, which is not a big deal though. Some planking here and there; a few bare spots.

#3011 1 year ago

I wouldn't either. Here's the one that I redid. A bit further gone than yours.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/55#post-7081686

#3012 1 year ago

I probably wouldn't but who cares what we think. Go for it!

#3013 1 year ago

Depends on that planking. You could touch it up and clear it but depending on what the woods doing under that first layer of planked ply, if it’s softening up you could get into some bummer situations after clearing where the clear ghosts. Especially at the pop bumpers.

#3014 1 year ago
Quoted from wastedthelight:

Second, my shooter lane is pretty off between the playfield and hardtop.

Use a straight edge & razor knife, and just trim up the overlap

4 different companies did playfields for Flash, so lots of variation

#3015 1 year ago

Your game, your choice. Based on the planking, some art loss, and the hacky sticker job by a previous owner, I'd hardtop it and not look back.

#3016 1 year ago

No I would swap it with a CPR.

#3017 1 year ago

"I picked up a Flash hardtop and have a couple questions.
My inserts have cupping and I keep seeing people say that the hardtop works great for cupping, no need to do anything. If you're already stripping and sanding down the playfield, why not just replace the inserts? Their printed instructions included, which I didn't see on their website, states that "leveling inserts and "eye dropper" filling cupped inserts is acceptable." My first pin and new to all this, but replacing "looks" easy...provided I can find the right inserts, so wouldn't that be a better option? Caveats?"

Replacing the inserts is a lot of labor for not a big pay off as the Hardtop will cover and level all inserts. I would definitely sand and clear coat to make them shine again, but that's it. Just my 2 cents

#3018 1 year ago
Quoted from dq13:

"I picked up a Flash hardtop and have a couple questions.
My inserts have cupping and I keep seeing people say that the hardtop works great for cupping, no need to do anything. If you're already stripping and sanding down the playfield, why not just replace the inserts? Their printed instructions included, which I didn't see on their website, states that "leveling inserts and "eye dropper" filling cupped inserts is acceptable." My first pin and new to all this, but replacing "looks" easy...provided I can find the right inserts, so wouldn't that be a better option? Caveats?"
Replacing the inserts is a lot of labor for not a big pay off as the Hardtop will cover and level all inserts. I would definitely sand and clear coat to make them shine again, but that's it. Just my 2 cents

Cupping it can cover. Just make sure there are no RAISED inserts. Those would be a problem. As long as any that are raised get sanded level should be ok.

#3019 1 year ago

Thanks everyone. I think I will hardtop it in the near future. It was my first pin and still my favorite; really want it to look super nice.

#3020 1 year ago

Has there been any talk about possible early Gottlieb Solid-state Hardtops?

#3021 1 year ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

No I would swap it with a CPR.

CPR is junk. They don't stand by their products and constantly have quality issues.

#3022 1 year ago
Quoted from Mundy53:

CPR is junk. They don't stand by their products and constantly have quality issues.

Do you have examples to provide for this claim?

#3023 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

This isn’t the CPR thread but they have sent out playfields without the switch slit in the shooter lane, the Paragon saucers are the wrong depth/size and their mirrored backglasses aren’t mirrored anymore, just shiny paint.

#3024 1 year ago

You don't have to but I've redone the inserts on all my Hardtop installs.

#3025 1 year ago
Quoted from newovad:

This isn’t the CPR thread but they have sent out playfields without the switch slit in the shooter lane, the Paragon saucers are the wrong depth/size and their mirrored backglasses aren’t mirrored anymore, just shiny paint.

Yeah my Space Shuttle backglass from them was supposed to be mirrored… definitely not. It’s like a silvery paint.

#3026 1 year ago

Yeah my Space Shuttle backglass from them was supposed to be mirrored… definitely not. It’s like a silvery paint.

Same with their Firepower I got from them.

#3027 1 year ago

Well I am glad this has come up because I was ready to drop coin for a AFM and a FH mirrored backglass. Is there any buyers remorse here with the backglasses from CPR? Or would it have been just as well to purchase repro translites?

#3028 1 year ago

Well I am glad this has come up because I was ready to drop coin for a AFM and a FH mirrored backglass. Is there any buyers remorse here with the backglasses from CPR? Or would it have been just as well to purchase repro translites?

I've purchased two CPR backglasses in the last three years - Mata Hari and Meteor. Meteor arrived mirrored as advertised, not painted silver. Both packed extremely well. No buyers remorse here.

#3029 1 year ago

Specifically we were talking about a space shuttle. I don't know of any problems with the CPR SS PF. To be fair my SS hardtop ain't perfect either.

#3030 1 year ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

Specifically we were talking about a space shuttle. I don't know of any problems with the CPR SS PF. To be fair my SS hardtop ain't perfect either.

It ain't $900 either..lol

#3031 1 year ago

Last time i checked cpr does not have space shuttle playfields and there is no eta.

#3032 1 year ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Last time i checked cpr does not have space shuttle playfields and there is no eta.

They just released more last week but sold out.

ss play (resized).JPGss play (resized).JPG
#3033 1 year ago

I would suggest asking in a CPR, AFM or FH thread.

#3034 1 year ago

If you’re looking for a true mirrored backglass order a digitally printed film here (similar quality as Bgresto), strip the ink off your glass and adhere the film. Takes 2-3 weeks to deliver and about the same price as BGresto. Bgresto will ship you a complete backglass in 2-6 months.
https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/backglasses.html

#3035 1 year ago

Sorry to continue the off-topic comments, but to answer the question, I have a bit of buyer’s remorse. Last year’s end-of-year sale at CPR, I purchased High Speed (mirrored) and Joker Poker (blue colored score windows) backglasses. The High Speed mirroring isn’t mirrored like the original. It’s somewhat reflective, but not mirrored like the original (which is how it’s advertised). And the blue score windows on the Joker Poker are painted rather than using a clear film. So there is some texture/pebbling in the windows which causes the displays to be a little blurry.

Aside from that, they look great and they’re still in my games, but it was a disappointment when they were advertised as being just like the originals.

#3036 1 year ago

JFC NO!

#3037 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

It ain't $900 either..lol

but its way better than a hardtop

#3038 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

I don’t know… my new for playfield for my Bad Cats is so smooth it plays very similar to a hardtop.

#3039 1 year ago

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen any options for a Millionaire playfield hardtop, overlay, or remake?

#3040 1 year ago

Not 3x better. And more work.

#3041 1 year ago

To each their own, but my experience w/ my Taxi hardtop has been very good. Plays great and honestly I have not noticed any issues. Maybe I'd feel different if I had adhesion or other problems others have mentioned but it's been great so far. I'll likely do another hardtop again someday on another game.

#3042 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Not 3x better. And more work.

you're right. It's not 3x better, it's infinitely better, more work but an infinitely better result.

#3043 1 year ago

I had to send one back as the print was off, looked blurry, inserts not level and the shooter lane switch slot was not cut out.
Next one came damaged but was much better.
BK backglass has the proper mirror, both bought 6 months ago.

#3044 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

BK backglass has the proper mirror, both bought 6 months ago.

Hardtop BK was indeed a lot of work, but very happy with the end result despite minor junk embedded in the adhesive.

CPR BK backglass was proper mirror. My only complaint is that the horse is a dark blue rather than the dark grey. I have gotten over it after some time, and after I removed the light bulb behind the hoof because it was glowing medium blue.

#3045 1 year ago
Quoted from Michel_K17:

Hardtop BK was indeed a lot of work, but very happy with the end result despite minor junk embedded in the adhesive.
CPR BK backglass was proper mirror. My only complaint is that the horse is a dark blue rather than the dark grey. I have gotten over it after some time, and after I removed the light bulb behind the hoof because it was glowing medium blue.

And it’s a white knight instead of a black knight. It really is horrid.
Mine is more like Silver paint than actual mirror.

#3046 1 year ago
Quoted from Michel_K17:

It’s weird because the original that I took off and is now displayed on my wall also has that blue colour, luckily my BK playfield is really nice so just put a protector over the top and now plays great. Has cupped inserts.

I don’t mind the lighter grey BK.

00FE7383-048B-4141-8861-9A9D57F0B2F7 (resized).jpeg00FE7383-048B-4141-8861-9A9D57F0B2F7 (resized).jpegC255D4A8-25B4-4B53-97A6-B47DDE324F7B (resized).jpegC255D4A8-25B4-4B53-97A6-B47DDE324F7B (resized).jpeg
#3047 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

It’s weird because the original that I took off and is now displayed on my wall also has that blue colour, luckily my BK playfield is really nice so just put a protector over the top and now plays great. Has cupped inserts.
I don’t mind the lighter grey BK.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for the back-to-back pictures. You are right: the old one does have a dark blue tint, though not quite as bright. Ultimately, if I was to do it again, I would have picked the reproduction from Mayfair (again: CPR one is absolutely fine).
https://mayfairamusement.com/product/black-knight-reproduction-backglass/

BK_Mayfair2 (resized).PNGBK_Mayfair2 (resized).PNG
#3048 1 year ago

The journey has just begun. It's amazing how much dirt accumulates over the years. I've got a lot of mylar adhesive residue, does anyone have a recommendation for how to remove it before sanding?

IMG_20230112_210232417 (resized).jpgIMG_20230112_210232417 (resized).jpg
#3049 1 year ago
Quoted from billsgto:

The journey has just begun. It's amazing how much dirt accumulates over the years. I've got a lot of mylar adhesive residue, does anyone have a recommendation for how to remove it before sanding?
[quoted image]

I followed Vids guide where he used flour and alcohol worked really well for me.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet

#3050 1 year ago

I used a razor blade because I’m sanding the area down. I wasn’t trying to save the artwork.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/61?hl=mundy53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.