• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 67.
#2601 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

So in the video he is using a sanding drum and not a router bit. I can see the sanding drum being okay for after the HT is stuck because I cant really see the dust getting getting forced under the HT. The router chips may be a different story. Again I am speculating that this may be an issue. I don't know because I have never tried it.
On the last couple hard tops I have stuck, there were areas in the HT around the holes that did not have adhesive. So if there is no adhesive, you now have a very small clearance or pocket for the chips to get forced into. If this were to happen, you would have to dig the chips out. Also, in the video, there is no missing adhesive around that insert, so there is no risk at all there.
IMO the safest way to go is to clamp the HT and route the holes out, and then stick it. If you align the HT properly and clamp it before sticking it, it will go on perfectly.

OK, I see your concern about debris getting permanently stuck between the HT and the PF.
I was just looking over my HT with that in mind, I did not see any hole I need to route where the adhesive is not completely encircling the hole.
The worst case scenario I can imagine is routing all the holes and then sticking the HT off kilter.
Maybe I'm just over thinking as usual.

#2602 1 year ago

I beg to differ. As I mentioned a few months ago in this topic, I purchased my hardtop WITHOUT the various holes pre-cut. I was able to align the inserts perfectly and then I routed out the holes for the lamps, switches etc.
Now all these holes are dead nuts perfect and the tell tale details of a hardtop cant be seen. My last hardtop is 100% indecernible from a new clearcoated playfied, and it was fairly easy to do.
This is the only way I will install hardtops going forward.

first off, it is not indistinguishable from a clear coated wood field unless the people looking are blind. Second, regardless of if you cut your own holes there is no guarantee that the art will match the existing field. All fields have variations, even ones made in the same factory. Using shuttle as an example again, not only are the center inserts and text different depending on what field you have there is also a variation that the art is literally longer on the field but about a 1/4 inch. It is literally impossible for a overlay of any kind to fit all these variations. an overlay is always a compromise at some point. Some are better than others.

#2603 1 year ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

What router do you use for it?

A trim router will work fine, but a full size router will work but be bulkier to deal with.

#2604 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

This is kind of a big deal on routing the holes pre-sticking vs. after sticking.
Seems like the best precision would be after sticking, but can shavings actually get under the HT?
Keith recommends routing the roll over holes after sticking. (according to the video I watched)

if its properly stuck down there should be no way to get anything under it. If stuff gets under it you had already messed up.

#2605 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

first off, it is not indistinguishable from a clear coated wood field unless the people looking are blind. Second, regardless of if you cut your own holes there is no guarantee that the art will match the existing field. All fields have variations, even ones made in the same factory. Using shuttle as an example again, not only are the center inserts and text different depending on what field you have there is also a variation that the art is literally longer on the field but about a 1/4 inch. It is literally impossible for a overlay of any kind to fit all these variations. an overlay is always a compromise at some point. Some are better than others.

Good point. I have no idea what I am talking about. I will ignore my lying eyes and check my opinions at the door from now on.

#2606 1 year ago

if its properly stuck down there should be no way to get anything under it. If stuff gets under it you had already messed up.

Tell me you've never applied a hardtop and know nothing about hardtops without telling me you know nothing about hardtops.

I'll give you one nod about variations in playfields because of course that happened (hotdogs vs non-hotdogs on shuttle, etc). Otherwise, most of what you say comes across as a really desperate attempt for attention. I can't believe you're this persistent with it.

#2607 1 year ago

Your trolling of this thread is BS, please use your troll account somewhere else.

#2608 1 year ago

It's here! FedEx wasn't too kind to the package but I think these are ok. Need to look them over carefully. First impression is that they look amazing and will be nice to see how the game turns out with these installed.

HT_Elektra (resized).jpgHT_Elektra (resized).jpg
#2609 1 year ago

LOL

#2610 1 year ago

I looked over the thread relatively quickly, but I need some advice. I recently got a game with a hardtop installed and the person just put the hardtop on over the star rollovers. The rollover holes in the hardtop are creating ball traps. What do you good folks suggest to be the best way to remedy this?

#2612 1 year ago
PXL_20220526_024840111 (resized).jpgPXL_20220526_024840111 (resized).jpg
#2613 1 year ago

Wow that is amazing.... Sorry you have to deal with that.

#2614 1 year ago

Who the hell put the hardtop on top of the star rollovers????

You have to out this person, lol

#2615 1 year ago
Quoted from digdug2084:

I looked over the thread relatively quickly, but I need some advice. I recently got a game with a hardtop installed and the person just put the hardtop on over the star rollovers. The rollover holes in the hardtop are creating ball traps. What do you good folks suggest to be the best way to remedy this?

This is kind of funny, but only because it's happening to someone else and not to me. To actually address the issue though, I would think you'd have to remove the rollovers from the bottom of the playfield. Then you can safely cut out the inserts with a Dremel or router. Since you have to do it anyway, this may give us the definitive answer to the great debate of whether shavings will get under the hardtop if you cut it after it's been laid down. Thanks for taking one for the team.

#2616 1 year ago

My initial thought is that you would drill out the center of the star rollover as large as you can without hitting the wood ledge the rollover sits on. Then use your Dremel with the drum sander on it to clean out the rest of the rollover and hardtop until everything is thin enough to break out ( or keep going as needed to grind out the rest of the rollover). The idea would be to leave as much hardtop as possible (black outline around the rollover) so you can finish cutting it flush with the new rollover you will have to install.

#2617 1 year ago

Ultimately I think how comfortable you are with your tools might change what exact tool you use, but I think the process won't change too much.

#2618 1 year ago

It's going to be a sucky job, because if you enlarge the hole, it might affect the ball travel, or become another ball trap.

I'd probably clamp a plexi template over the rollover and then use a bearing router bit to clear out the old insert

Or use the plexi template and a brand new forstner bit in a drill press, shaving away the hardtop and insert

0310-0312_web (resized).png0310-0312_web (resized).pngd423cd1244c1b0ac8cf67b45da4a950b0f8f864a (resized).jpgd423cd1244c1b0ac8cf67b45da4a950b0f8f864a (resized).jpg
#2619 1 year ago

Yikes, I was hoping it was a Comet for your sake (only 1 rollover). I would try to break up one of the rollovers and see how much I can get out before cutting. They might be pretty brittle at this point. Would hit it (gently to start) with something about the size of the Hardtop hole and hopefully it splits like a log.

#2620 1 year ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Yikes, I was hoping it was a Comet for your sake (only 1 rollover). I would try to break up one of the rollovers and see how much I can get out before cutting. They might be pretty brittle at this point. Would hit it (gently to start) with something about the size of the Hardtop hole and hopefully it splits like a log.

Careful with that, if you don’t soften the epoxy first you might pop up some ply. Not sure I’d try this if the hardtop is covering the seam.

#2621 1 year ago

Adding to the nightmare of that job, if you mess it up, they aren't selling FG hardtops anymore, so there's no backup plan. :/

#2622 1 year ago

Before I got my Xenon hardtop I watched a video of another guy installing it. He ran into an issue with the top rollover buttons not being able to go through because the hardtop holes were too small.

I got mine and have the same issue (amongst a few other issues). The holes have to be enlarged, which depending on your drilling experience might not end well. Just a heads up incase anyone is going to get a Xenon HT.

20220501_120219 (resized).jpg20220501_120219 (resized).jpg20220501_120226 (resized).jpg20220501_120226 (resized).jpg
#2623 1 year ago
Quoted from Galdaien:

He ran into an issue with the top rollover buttons not being able to go through because the hardtop holes were too small.

I got mine and have the same issue (amongst a few other issues). The holes have to be enlarged, which depending on your drilling experience might not end well.

Those holes are supposed to be too small.

Just like the Star Rollover holes.

You have to enlarge those holes to fit your particular playfield.

But don't drill (that could very well end in disaster).

Remove the buttons (there is a black spring clip on the back of them), then after you install the HT, you enlarge the HT holes with a dremel

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet#post-4470140

b06cd765ae1d0e070fb838d7b3c158e68bbba7bc (resized).jpgb06cd765ae1d0e070fb838d7b3c158e68bbba7bc (resized).jpg
#2624 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those holes are supposed to be too small.
Just like the Star Rollover holes.
You have to enlarge those holes to fit your particular playfield.
But don't drill (that could very well end in disaster).
Remove the buttons (there is a black spring clip on the back of them), then after you install the HT, you enlarge the HT holes with a dremel
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet#post-4470140[quoted image]

I see. Thanks! I think I have one of those bits. I was going to try a step-drill bit but I wasn't thrilled to do it...

#2625 1 year ago
Quoted from Galdaien:

I see. Thanks! I think I have one of those bits. I was going to try a step-drill bit but I wasn't thrilled to do it...

That bit comes with the Dremel.

But if you have lost it, or worn it out, get one of those giant kits at harbor freight that have a zillion bits

#2626 1 year ago

Just to add about dealing with star rollovers with hardtops....it's right in the installation instructions and FAQ on Outside Edge's website:

OE also has this video on their website showing how to enlarge the star rollover hole on the hardtop, after installation, and prior to putting in a new star rollover:

http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/uploads/b/890360-583207973742842823/keith_hardtop_wizard_rollover_890.mp4

#2627 1 year ago

So in the video he is using a sanding drum and not a router bit. I can see the sanding drum being okay for after the HT is stuck because I cant really see the dust getting getting forced under the HT. The router chips may be a different story. Again I am speculating that this may be an issue. I don't know because I have never tried it.
On the last couple hard tops I have stuck, there were areas in the HT around the holes that did not have adhesive. So if there is no adhesive, you now have a very small clearance or pocket for the chips to get forced into. If this were to happen, you would have to dig the chips out. Also, in the video, there is no missing adhesive around that insert, so there is no risk at all there.
IMO the safest way to go is to clamp the HT and route the holes out, and then stick it. If you align the HT properly and clamp it before sticking it, it will go on perfectly.

OK, tonight I routed 33 holes and slots in my HT, I can confirm your finding that there is a SH*T ton of debris that is expelled while routing.
So, I am now in your camp about routing before sticking by clamping the HT in place.
I used your recommended 3/16 in. routing bit in my Dremel with the routing cage. (no problems and clean edges)
Thanks for your post, I now believe real experience trumps over thinking.

Router bit (resized).JPGRouter bit (resized).JPG
#2628 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

OK, tonight I routed 33 holes and slots in my HT, I can confirm your finding that there is a SH*T ton of debris that is expelled while routing.
So, I am now in your camp about routing before sticking by clamping the HT in place.
I used your recommended 3/16 in. routing bit in my Dremel with the routing cage. (no problems and clean edges)
Thanks for your post, I now believe real experience trumps over thinking. [quoted image]

Nice! So the dremel does work? Was it battery or plug in?

#2629 1 year ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

Nice! So the dremel does work? Was it battery or plug in?

Mine is a plug in 120VAC type.

#2630 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

Thanks for your post, I now believe real experience trumps over thinking. [quoted image]

Glad it worked out and your happy with it. Only other thing to add is to make sure you put a drop of oil on that bearing from time to time, and make sure it always spins freely.

#2631 1 year ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

Adding to the nightmare of that job, if you mess it up, they aren't selling FG hardtops anymore, so there's no backup plan. :/

I still have several left

#2632 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's going to be a sucky job, because if you enlarge the hole, it might affect the ball travel, or become another ball trap.
I'd probably clamp a plexi template over the rollover and then use a bearing router bit to clear out the old insert
Or use the plexi template and a brand new forstner bit in a drill press, shaving away the hardtop and insert
[quoted image][quoted image]

FireBall Classic kicks ass!

#2633 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

It's here! FedEx wasn't too kind to the package but I think these are ok. Need to look them over carefully. First impression is that they look amazing and will be nice to see how the game turns out with these installed.
[quoted image]

That’s awesome! I’ve had one listed locally for awhile and may have to take it down so I can get this done on my game. Please report back once you’ve had time to look it over on your game.

#2634 1 year ago

Glad it worked out and your happy with it. Only other thing to add is to make sure you put a drop of oil on that bearing from time to time, and make sure it always spins freely.

Here is a short video of the router in action.
I was just roughing out the roll over holes prior to stick down. (there are 11 roll overs on this one)

#2635 1 year ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I still have several left

Are they all maroon?

#2636 1 year ago

In reference to previous discussion about playfield coverings...

- Haggis Pinball offering 3 options for playfield -

1- Traditional Plywood/Clear Coat (@1:10 "additional cost because it's much more laborious").
2- Plywood/Acrylic with scratch resistant coating (standard).
3- Plywood/Acrylic without scratch resistant coating, but clear coated instead (for those who want clear coat feel).

** Link to additional videos... https://www.youtube.com/c/HaggisPinball/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

#2637 1 year ago

Just wrapped up my space shuttle hardtop. Needs a couple tweaks still, but I got to play a few games tonight!

0CB1E429-7CCC-412B-9B00-FD950A314372 (resized).jpeg0CB1E429-7CCC-412B-9B00-FD950A314372 (resized).jpegA27AD069-3AC0-4731-AE48-FF577458CAE0 (resized).jpegA27AD069-3AC0-4731-AE48-FF577458CAE0 (resized).jpegA4384ACF-8102-4AA1-B3B4-6B851D9D3648 (resized).jpegA4384ACF-8102-4AA1-B3B4-6B851D9D3648 (resized).jpeg
#2638 1 year ago

Looks great. What's going on with Hollywood Heat?

#2639 1 year ago
Quoted from ourdave76:

Looks great. What's going on with Hollywood Heat?

Thanks!

And that’s a great question on Hollywood Heat haha. Couple days ago it decided to quit mid game. Now it boots up but I can’t start a game, flippers and slings all still work even without a game going. Posted in the system 80b thread today to see if anyone has any thoughts. Hopefully someone does because I’m stumped at the moment.

#2640 1 year ago

Just started cleaning up an HH, a true barn find, mice nest and all that. Do you happen to have extra plastics or translite?

2 weeks later
#2641 1 year ago

Restoring a High Speed and ordered my Hard top earlier this week. Will be my first hard top install and excited to get it.

1 week later
#2642 1 year ago

I wanted to gauge if there were any consideration for Rollergames

I realize the licensing problems with creating an exact representation. I can't imagine it would be worth trying to strike a new agreement with Pepsi, or Thermos to include their brand on the finished product.

Still, could create fake brands that look the part.

#2643 1 year ago

More Classic Sterns (M-100 and M-200)!

#2644 1 year ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

I wanted to gauge if there were any consideration for Rollergames
I realize the licensing problems with creating an exact representation. I can't imagine it would be worth trying to strike a new agreement with Pepsi, or Thermos to include their brand on the finished product.
Still, could create fake brands that look the part.

Earlier this year, CPR was on the hunt for a NOS or near-perfect playfield, so it might be on their docket coming up. I don't know if that means they worked out the licensing issues at all. Not just the brands, but also I'm sure somebody still holds the rights to the Rollergames franchise in some form.

-Hans

#2645 1 year ago

I think I asked this before but I don't remember. Why are there no Gottlieb hardtops available? I know the Gottlieb family is still involved and things are licensed through a certain individual. Every one likes money it seems so why aren't they licenced and being made? Obviously they would make money. What's the hold up?

#2646 1 year ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

I can't imagine it would be worth trying to strike a new agreement with Pepsi, or Thermos to include their brand on the finished product.

Many times, companies will give you a limited license at no cost, because it's advertising for them and a run of a few hundred would not be worth the accounting costs.

#2647 1 year ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2648 1 year ago

Bug guns, Hurricane and Nitro Ground Shaker?

#2649 1 year ago
Quoted from shimmydisc:

Bug guns, Hurricane and Nitro Ground Shaker?

Could be Twister...

#2650 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Could be Twister...

That is a licensed theme, so I have to go with Whirlwind.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/53?hl=apinjunkie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.