• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 51 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1308 votes by 788 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3322 (resized).jpg
391735939_806303518171699_5751947203509962681_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4605 (resized).jpeg
FP2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 67.
#2551 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

You stated you wouldn't be surprised if plastic fields became the norm. It was already tried, it failed. Both as a polybarb back-printed top slab over a substrate, very similar to a hardtop, but one that actually fits right since it was cut with the PF, to a full plastic field. Both were discontinued. Both were failures from the manufacturing aspect. It's not disputable that they stopped making them that way.

Haggis playfields are a combination of 9mm plywood & 4.5mm polycarb. That's what came in Celts & that is what Fathom Mermaid has installed. I love the playfield in my Celts & first impressions from the first Mermaid owner are very positive indeed.

#2552 1 year ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

Haggis playfields are a combination of 9mm plywood & 4.5mm polycarb. That's what came in Celts & that is what Fathom Mermaid has installed. I love the playfield in my Celts & first impressions from the first Mermaid owner are very positive indeed.

P3 is plastic too. neither company is likely to be a major player in the long run. Orbitor 1 was plastic too from stern. gimmick game, but the tech was there, they didn't continue with it.

#2553 1 year ago

You stated you wouldn't be surprised if plastic fields became the norm. It was already tried, it failed. Both as a polybarb back-printed top slab over a substrate, very similar to a hardtop, but one that actually fits right since it was cut with the PF, to a full plastic field. Both were discontinued. Both were failures from the manufacturing aspect. It's not disputable that they stopped making them that way.

Those playfields are solid, I've owned an Elektra and a Interflip Dragon... the concept worked in practice.

I'm not clear what you mean with regard to failure from a mfg aspect? were there some particular stories from back then?

from the market standpoint, I would guess the cost is higher, and the players might not like the feel? Elektra was not a huge seller, but still just under 3k units, so they made a few.

#2554 1 year ago

. Orbitor 1 was plastic too from stern. gimmick game, but the tech was there, they didn't continue with it.

The orders came in for the Game, but it was too late, Stern/Seeburg had already gone bankrupt

#2555 1 year ago

Haggis has the orders for the games & then some. They just have to navigate the difficulties that many businesses are facing & produce them.

#2556 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:The orders came in for the Game, but it was too late, Stern/Seeburg had already gone bankrupt

Not even comparable "tech" I'm surprised someone made the reach in bringing it up.

Bottom line- If it was better and cheaper Gary Stern would have been all over it like a rash by now.

#2557 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Not even comparable "tech" I'm surprised someone made the reach in bringing it up.
Bottom line- If it was better and cheaper Gary Stern would have been all over it like a rash by now.

No, if it was cheaper is the only concern here. I doubt they care about weather it was better.

#2558 1 year ago

All the complaining and anxiety about NIB purchases because of dimples and pooling and chipping. My guess is people may be willing to pay more for this solution which solves those problems. Like I said before, my Gorgar plays awesome with the Hard Top. I notice no deficiency in how it plays!
And what happened years ago is irrelevant. Nobody cared about these playfield imperfections back then. With the home market, people do!

#2559 1 year ago

Question about inserts. I had an extra lower playfield for Elketra that I am going to do the hardtop installation on. Paint is bad and most inserts are missing. I bought new arrow inserts but they seem to be just a hair too big. Anyone run into this before? Who has inserts that fit the early Bally games?

#2560 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Question about inserts. I had an extra lower playfield for Elketra that I am going to do the hardtop installation on. Paint is bad and most inserts are missing. I bought new arrow inserts but they seem to be just a hair too big. Anyone run into this before? Who has inserts that fit the early Bally games?

Did you clean out the glue from the insert holes?

#2561 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Did you clean out the glue from the insert holes?

I have not but I didn’t notice any glue. Will take a closer look.

#2562 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I have not but I didn’t notice any glue. Will take a closer look.

Check this thread out. Vid's guides are great!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#post-551287

#2563 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Those playfields are solid, I've owned an Elektra and a Interflip Dragon... the concept worked in practice.
I'm not clear what you mean with regard to failure from a mfg aspect? were there some particular stories from back then?
from the market standpoint, I would guess the cost is higher, and the players might not like the feel? Elektra was not a huge seller, but still just under 3k units, so they made a few.

wood is cheap, plastic slabs are not. Wood is easy to machine, plastics are not as easy. Wood much easier to repair if needed. people didn't like how they played. If they were better, either in manufacturing, costs, or play, they would still be being used.

#2564 1 year ago

Tell that to my contractor building an addition

#2565 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Tell that to my contractor building an addition

relatively and historically.

#2566 1 year ago

relatively and historically.

Imagine being this desperate for any and all attention. Hard yikes.

#2567 1 year ago

wood is cheap, plastic slabs are not. Wood is easy to machine, plastics are not as easy. Wood much easier to repair if needed. people didn't like how they played. If they were better, either in manufacturing, costs, or play, they would still be being used.

No, sheet plastic is easily milled. It seems like you are making things up to be a smart guy on the internet.

#2568 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

No, sheet plastic is easily milled. It seems like you are making things up to be a smart guy on the internet.

I specifically did not state plastic are hard to machine. What I said was "not as easy", plastics tend to wear bits faster and plastics can melt as the cutting edge fails and causes extra heat buildup.

#2569 1 year ago

I specifically did not state plastic are hard to machine. What I said was "not as easy", plastics tend to wear bits faster and plastics can melt as the cutting edge fails and causes extra heat buildup.

Is there a goal or a finish line you’re trying to get to this all of these empty pointless arguments?
What needs to happen for you to open this thread and say to yourself “there I did it, my work here is done!”

#2570 1 year ago

Ok but it sounds like you just googled it and copy pasted this stuff.

#2571 1 year ago

This argument is dependent on technology. What was once problematic may(or may not) become feasible as tech matures. I don't much care(I have loved every plastic covered game I've played on, including protectors), but I can imagine all sorts of possible replacements for the style of playfield we have now. With quality wood only getting more expensive, the economics of some sort of hybrid playfield are really unknown(though I suspect skewed away from traditional playfields over time), so I'm content to sit back and watch.

#2572 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Ok but it sounds like you just googled it and copy pasted this stuff.

nope

#2573 1 year ago

Please, please PLEASE take this somewhere else. The back and forth is by now waaaaaay beyond relevant.

#2574 1 year ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Please, please PLEASE take this somewhere else. The back and forth is by now waaaaaay beyond relevant.

Sorry dad

#2575 1 year ago

Most plastics used in pinball are easier and more consistent to machine than wood

Hell, you can laser cut acrylics, and the edge comes out shiny and finished

It's like some of you are still living in the last century...

#2576 1 year ago

JJP would redeem themselves with me if they released Toy Story with the playfield hardtopped as standard. Can you imagine the crying fest of having to play on a perfect surface void of defects?

“But I can’t hear the ball rolling around!!! And the playfield will never have dimples or pooling or chipping!!!
The game plays too perfect!!!!
This is the worst thing to ever happen to pinball, there’s nothing to complain about!!! All I have to do is wax the game occasionally!” (insert grown men crying)

#2577 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Most plastics used in pinball are easier and more consistent to machine than wood
Hell, you can laser cut acrylics, and the edge comes out shiny and finished
It's like some of you are still living in the last century...

you think the company cutting fields will just go get laser cutters when they have perfectly serviceable mechanical cutters in house? That's might happen when replacement is needed, not just for the hell of it.

#2578 1 year ago

you think the company cutting fields will just go get laser cutters when they have perfectly serviceable mechanical cutters in house? That's might happen when replacement is needed, not just for the hell of it.

640deadhorse.gif640deadhorse.gif

#2579 1 year ago
images.jpeg-3 (resized).jpgimages.jpeg-3 (resized).jpg
#2580 1 year ago

i'm ready to cut the hardtop over the shooter lane. couple of questions:
1. what should I cut it with, will a sharp craft knife get right through?
2. where should I cut it? to centre the V I would have to cut quite a bit off the right then also cut at the top of the left to get it centred. Could I just cut off all of the clear hardtop? that would leave a ridge that the ball would need to jump over.

20220524_200533 (resized).jpg20220524_200533 (resized).jpg
#2581 1 year ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

i'm ready to cut the hardtop over the shooter lane. couple of questions:
1. what should I cut it with, will a sharp craft knife get right through?
2. where should I cut it? to centre the V I would have to cut quite a bit off the right then also cut at the top of the left to get it centred. Could I just cut off all of the clear hardtop? that would leave a ridge that the ball would need to jump over.
[quoted image]

I didn't cut anything out on my Firepower other than the roll over switches. Looks like you need to move it over to the right a little.

#2582 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I didn't cut anything out on my Firepower other than the roll over switches. Looks like you need to move it over to the right a little.

In this position every insert is exactly correct. If I move it over the slightest amount I start to be off centre on the inserts and exposing wood. the roll over inserts on the right will need a littel cutting but the left ones are perfect. None of this is unexpected and I have seen previous comments about having to recut the shooter lane, just no details of how it was cut.

#2583 1 year ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

In this position every insert is exactly correct. If I move it over the slightest amount I start to be off centre on the inserts and exposing wood. the roll over inserts on the right will need a littel cutting but the left ones are perfect. None of this is unexpected and I have seen previous comments about having to recut the shooter lane, just no details of how it was cut.

Fields were made by several companies. There is always variation. Even stuff made at any given company had variation. Not just in registration, supplied screen could be different (space shuttle fonts are a perfect example). Even how they were cut could be different, again space shuttle hotdogs vs spots in the center of the field. Hardtops won't be perfect to hardly any machine, they will be close to most though. This same issue will happen if outside edge is using original WMS info or basing the work on an old field. Now you need to figure out how to make it work best for your situation and figure out what is acceptable to you.

#2584 1 year ago

Hardtops won't be perfect to hardly any machine, they will be close to most though.

I beg to differ. As I mentioned a few months ago in this topic, I purchased my hardtop WITHOUT the various holes pre-cut. I was able to align the inserts perfectly and then I routed out the holes for the lamps, switches etc.

Now all these holes are dead nuts perfect and the tell tale details of a hardtop cant be seen. My last hardtop is 100% indecernible from a new clearcoated playfied, and it was fairly easy to do.

This is the only way I will install hardtops going forward.

#2585 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

I beg to differ. As I mentioned a few months ago in this topic, I purchased my hardtop WITHOUT the various holes pre-cut. I was able to align the inserts perfectly and then I routed out the holes for the lamps, switches etc.
Now all these holes are dead nuts perfect and the tell tale details of a hardtop cant be seen. My last hardtop is 100% indecernible from a new clearcoated playfied, and it was fairly easy to do.
This is the only way I will install hardtops going forward.

Interesting, you cut it with a router, would you recommend using a router to cut the shooter lane, or would a knife cut the hardtop just as well for the shooter lane?

#2586 1 year ago

Yes I would. I would clamp a thick straight edge to the hardtop and use the flush bearing bit just like I did for the lamp holes and lamp holes.

#2588 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

This is the bit I use.
amazon.com link »[quoted image]

What router do you use for it?

#2589 1 year ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08VDPRK28

IMO, you must use a high torque rotary tool like this. I don't think the typical hand-held rotary tools have the power needed for an effective cut. Of course this tool has countless other uses for pinball too. I can take a cloudy clear ramp and polish it crystal clear good as new with this rotary.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2590 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

amazon.com link »
IMO, you must use a high torque rotary tool like this. I don't think the typical hand-held rotary tools have the power needed for an effective cut. Of course this tool has countless other uses for pinball too. I can take a cloudy clear ramp and polish it crystal clear good as new with this rotary.
[quoted image]

Would a Dremel rotary tool (corded) work the same kind of way? I actually just bought a cordless dremel the other day.

#2591 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Now all these holes are dead nuts perfect

Is this an industry standard?

#2592 1 year ago

wrd1972 do you happen to have a video of this process?

#2593 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Is this an industry standard?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2594 1 year ago
Quoted from ourdave76:

wrd1972 do you happen to have a video of this process?

No I dont. Basically I clamp the hardtop to the playfield, then carefully drill a 3/16" locating hole from the bottom for all the switch, lamp holes etc that will get routed out. Once all the locating holes are drilled, I can then use the router bit to flush cut the the holes to their perfect size. When I am routing, i do it free-hand...very carefully. Once all the holes are routed, its time to stick it. This entire process only adds about an hour to the job.

Doing it this way is not for the faint of heart. One little slip up and you scar your hardtop.

Oh and one more thing. Be sure to not miss one of the holes that need to be drilled/routed prior to sticking the hardtop. I dont know for certain, but i think routing the hardtop with it stuck might force shavings between the playfield and hardtop which may cause some undesrable thing.

#2595 1 year ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

Would a Dremel rotary tool (corded) work the same kind of way? I actually just bought a cordless dremel the other day.

Just need to try it and see. If the motor bogs down too much, you may need the bigger rotary tool I posted above. But if it does work, you can use the router base, so thats a plus

#2596 1 year ago

Would be nice to see the upcoming title.

Give us a hint please Outside Edge.

#2597 1 year ago

Thanks for the details on the process

#2598 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

No I dont. Basically I clamp the hardtop to the playfield, then carefully drill a 3/16" locating hole from the bottom for all the switch, lamp holes etc that will get routed out. Once all the locating holes are drilled, I can then use the router bit to flush cut the the holes to their perfect size. When I am routing, i do it free-hand...very carefully. Once all the holes are routed, its time to stick it. This entire process only adds about an hour to the job.
Doing it this way is not for the faint of heart. One little slip up and you scar your hardtop.
Oh and one more thing. Be sure to not miss one of the holes that need to be drilled/routed prior to sticking the hardtop. I don't know for certain, but i think routing the hardtop with it stuck might force shavings between the playfield and hardtop which may cause some undesirable thing.

This is kind of a big deal on routing the holes pre-sticking vs. after sticking.
Seems like the best precision would be after sticking, but can shavings actually get under the HT?
Keith recommends routing the roll over holes after sticking. (according to the video I watched)

#2599 1 year ago

So in the video he is using a sanding drum and not a router bit. I can see the sanding drum being okay for after the HT is stuck because I cant really see the dust getting getting forced under the HT. The router chips may be a different story. Again I am speculating that this may be an issue. I don't know because I have never tried it.

On the last couple hard tops I have stuck, there were areas in the HT around the holes that did not have adhesive. So if there is no adhesive, you now have a very small clearance or pocket for the chips to get forced into. If this were to happen, you would have to dig the chips out. Also, in the video, there is no missing adhesive around that insert, so there is no risk at all there.

IMO the safest way to go is to clamp the HT and route the holes out, and then stick it. If you align the HT properly and clamp it before sticking it, it will go on perfectly.

#2600 1 year ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

IMO the safest way to go is to clamp the HT and route the holes out, and then stick it. If you align the HT properly and clamp it before sticking it, it will go on perfectly.

Sounds right to me. I agree with the approach.

Sounds like a lot of extra stress but I bet the result is fantastic.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
There are 3,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/52?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.