• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 67.
#2301 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I’m guessing it’s going to be the upper and lower only. No way to do the main really unless they make it the thickness of the original with the print on it but I can’t see that happening.

I figured the main play field area would be designed to install under the existing Plexi, but that's just a guess. I don't really see a need for it on most machines since the ball has never touched that artwork in 40 years. Still the artwork may have faded over those 40 years so maybe there is a need.

1 week later
#2302 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Any Hardtops in the queue for Elektra or Space Invaders? Both Bally games could use one.

+1 for Space Invaders please!

#2303 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

On the F-14 hard top are the arrow inserts clear on the hard top or are they tinted red and blue? My inserts are badly faded.

Then use 4SMD 'Non Ghosting' color matched LEDs. Or regular 2SMD LEDs if using a LED OCD board.
* I used a LED OCD and 4SMD color matched LEDs on my F-14 and it was beautiful!!

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/4smd-non-ghosting

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/2smd-bulbs
** the 2SMD are actually brighter than the 4 SMD https://www.cometpinball.com/pages/pinball-led-brightness-chart

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=23

#2304 2 years ago

Gorgar Hard Top will be in next week. Any advice for Gorgar Hard Top veterans?
Thanks!

Added over 2 years ago:

I meant "FROM" Hartop Veterans.

#2305 2 years ago

Doing my second BK hardtop now. Man these things are a terrific alternative to a playfield swap. Keep up the good work OE!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2306 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I figured the main play field area would be designed to install under the existing Plexi, but that's just a guess. I don't really see a need for it on most machines since the ball has never touched that artwork in 40 years. Still the artwork may have faded over those 40 years so maybe there is a need.

I think when you look at the faded colors compared to the new HT you would choose to replace all three levels.
That is what I am doing anyway.

#2307 2 years ago

My next two HTs are officially started.

20220208_170137 (resized).jpg20220208_170137 (resized).jpg
#2308 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

My next two HTs are officially started.
[quoted image]

Ha! That reminds me of a couple of years ago when I picked up two, non-working project Mata Hari's to build "one good one". Wound up hard topping and restoring one (which I still have) and getting the other one working well enough to sell it as a player's machine to fund the restoration of the other!

Man, I love this hobby....

Seeing Double (resized).jpgSeeing Double (resized).jpgIMG_9818 (resized).JPGIMG_9818 (resized).JPGIMG_9903 (resized).JPGIMG_9903 (resized).JPG
#2309 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Ha! That reminds me of a couple of years ago when I picked up two, non-working project Mata Hari's to build "one good one". Wound up hard topping and restoring one (which I still have) and getting the other one working well enough to sell it as a player's machine to fund the restoration of the other!
Man, I love this hobby....[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Both of these are kinda sad tbh. My friend had a pretty rough one he had bought for I think $200 but it was missing all boards, glass, and transformer/rectifier (ouch). He bought a brand new Alltek board set and BGResto glass and then located a transformer and intact rectifier. Then we found a $350 mostly broken down basketcase in Oklahoma that was otherwise complete. We were just going to do one and call it good but I figured we're not THAT far off on two, might as well do both. Both playfields worked just fine in the first cab I set up with his new boards which was a shock... time to knock these both out!

IMG_20220208_121709_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20220208_121709_01 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220208-140240_Video Player (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220208-140240_Video Player (resized).jpg
#2310 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Man, I love this hobby....[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great job looks great!! GoldFinger movie poster, that is a great Bond Movie.

#2311 2 years ago

I was looking over the current survey at the top of the page. I would think Kiss would be a no-brainer given it's popularity, large production run, and poor condition many are found in. I assumed it was a licensing issue which is why it has not been produced to date. Nice to see you are considering. One thing about Kiss, I am learning is there is a large collectors segment that like it with a worn out playfield and faded cabinet paint. 'Battle scarred' is the rallying cry! Personally I do not see it. I watch a lot of car auction shows on cable and you don't see any rusty, ripped upholstery classic Mustangs go though. 'Battle scars' do not add value in my book.

The other omission is Space Invaders for similar reasons. Got to assume it's a licensing issue.

#2312 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

. I would think Kiss would be a no-brainer given it's popularity, large production run, and poor condition many are found

Kiss is a licensed theme. Don't expect it anytime soon.

#2313 2 years ago

Same with Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball. Damnit!!!

#2314 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Both of these are kinda sad tbh. My friend had a pretty rough one he had bought for I think $200 but it was missing all boards, glass, and transformer/rectifier (ouch). He bought a brand new Alltek board set and BGResto glass and then located a transformer and intact rectifier. Then we found a $350 mostly broken down basketcase in Oklahoma that was otherwise complete. We were just going to do one and call it good but I figured we're not THAT far off on two, might as well do both. Both playfields worked just fine in the first cab I set up with his new boards which was a shock... time to knock these both out![quoted image][quoted image]

Damn!
The inside of that Mata Hari looks so nice you'll just have to hang the playfield on the wall so everyone can admire the cab interior!

#2315 2 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Same with Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball. Damnit!!!

Least of your worries with that title. Haha. I kid. It is a fair shooter.

#2316 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Least of your worries with that title. Haha. I kid. It is a fair shooter.

Yeah its fairly boring. But the kids love it.

#2317 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

I am learning is there is a large collectors segment that like it with a worn out playfield and faded cabinet paint. 'Battle scarred' is the rallying cry!

Went to the Phoenix "Zapcon" a few years ago and played a Taxi that had hardly any paint left on the play field. Only bits and pieces under the plastics. Kind of like a stained white wood. Smoothest damn game I ever played. Like, unbelievably, amazingly smooth. I get it.

Shawn

#2318 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Went to the Phoenix "Zapcon" a few years ago and played a Taxi that had hardly any paint left on the play field. Only bits and pieces under the plastics. Kind of like a stained white wood. Smoothest damn game I ever played. Like, unbelievably, amazingly smooth. I get it.
Shawn

I mean it makes sense. Either cleared and smooth as silk, PETG smooth, or bare f'n wood.. any one of those will result in smooth gameplay so long as the game is otherwise well maintained. My assumption is that the vast majority of the games worn that badly are NOT from number of plays but rather from neglect of proper maintenance. But that's just my opinion and I'm still a relative noob (1/2019) to this hobby.

#2319 2 years ago

Saw my first hardtop in the wild (flash gordon). Quality was absolutely fantastic and the game played great - I forgot the hardtop was on after starting to play.

I'm sure this has been said in this thread already, but I am surprised no current pinball manufacturers are shipping with a hardtop. All of the incentives seem to be there.

#2320 2 years ago

Is there anyone from Outside Edge on here that I can contact for some Technical Support? I dont see a Tech support email on their website. I am trying to get a hold of Bruce or anyone else who can offer support. Please PM me if need be.

Thanks.

#2321 2 years ago

No help on the support front, but would you care to share what issue you are having?

#2322 2 years ago

I sanded my Flash Gordon playfield last night getting it ready for the Hardtop and it feels a little lumpy when I run my hand across it. Did anyone else have this happen, and will it be an issue when I install the Hardtop? Also how fine of sandpaper did you go to on the inserts? I plan on coating it with 2PAC before laying down the Hardtop.

#2323 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I sanded my Flash Gordon playfield last night getting it ready for the Hardtop and it feels a little lumpy when I run my hand across it. Did anyone else have this happen, and will it be an issue when I install the Hardtop? Also how fine of sandpaper did you go to on the inserts? I plan on coating it with 2PAC before laying down the Hardtop.

When I prep playfields for hardtops, I use 220 with an orbital sander (and light pressure) to get the artwork off. Then follow up with block sanding at 400/600 to make sure the playfield is as level as possible.

The hardtop is rigid enough that if there are valleys in the playfield surface as a result of too-aggressive sanding that it would not be noticed. However, I wouldn't want any of those voids to be too big, so I'd recommend flattening them out as much as possible.

All of this is really overkill, anyway....you don't need to remove any artwork or do massive sanding. Just make sure your inserts are free of artwork and focus on those....eliminate the potential for jacking up your playfield surface with aggressive sanding.

2PAC is overkill too, IMO. I've done it with no clear and focusing on wet sanding only inserts (220/600/800/1200), I've done it laying down rattle can clear to "seal" the surface before putting down the hardtop, and I see no difference (and it's going on a couple of years for a few of my hardtop installs).

#2324 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

When I prep playfields for hardtops, I use 220 with an orbital sander (and light pressure) to get the artwork off. Then follow up with block sanding at 400/600 to make sure the playfield is as level as possible.
The hardtop is rigid enough that if there are valleys in the playfield surface as a result of too-aggressive sanding that it would not be noticed. However, I wouldn't want any of those voids to be too big, so I'd recommend flattening them out as much as possible.
All of this is really overkill, anyway....you don't need to remove any artwork or do massive sanding. Just make sure your inserts are free of artwork and focus on those....eliminate the potential for jacking up your playfield surface with aggressive sanding.
2PAC is overkill too, IMO. I've done it with no clear and focusing on wet sanding only inserts (220/600/800/1200), I've done it laying down rattle can clear to "seal" the surface before putting down the hardtop, and I see no difference (and it's going on a couple of years for a few of my hardtop installs).

Thanks for the advise. This is my first Hardtop install. I know the 2PAC is overkill but I have two other playfields I am clearing anyway so I was just going to use it on this one too. I may block sand it a little tonight and see if that helps. It's not too bad, but not perfectly flat either. I probably got a little to aggressive with my sanding. I started with 150.

#2325 2 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

No help on the support front, but would you care to share what issue you are having?

I want to request a custom Hardtop. I would like to have the following all deleted from my BK upper and lower PF hardtops:

-Light Bulb Holes (13 in LPF, 2 in UPF)
-Switch Slots/Holes (5 in LPF, 1 in UPF)
-Wire-form Holes (8 in LPF, 2 in UPF)
-Sling Kicker Slots/Holes (2 in LPF)
-Flipper alignment pin Holes (2 in LPF)

I would prefer to make all of the above holes myself because that will ensure a dead nuts perfect fit, and no "voids" like you would get from the standard hardtop. This will not be very hard at all because I have a 3/16" flush trim bit that will perfectly cut the holes once the HT is stuck. This will give the exact same visual appearance of a brand new playfield, but without all those "voids".

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2326 2 years ago

I use a trim bit for all the material that is not lined up.

How I address the bare wood is, I paint the openings the corresponding color and seal it with clear before I lay the Hardtop down. This keeps it from attracting the eye to the obvious wood grain.

#2327 2 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

I want to request a custom Hardtop. I would like to have the following all deleted from my BK upper and lower PF hardtops:
-Light Bulb Holes (13 in LPF, 2 in UPF)
-Switch Slots/Holes (5 in LPF, 1 in UPF)
-Wire-form Holes (8 in LPF, 2 in UPF)
-Sling Kicker Slots/Holes (2 in LPF)
-Flipper alignment pin Holes (2 in LPF)
I would prefer to make all of the above holes myself because that will ensure a dead nuts perfect fit, and no "voids" like you would get from the standard hardtop. This will not be very hard at all because I have a 3/16" flush trim bit that will perfectly cut the holes once the HT is stuck. This will give the exact same visual appearance of a brand new playfield, but without all those "voids".[quoted image][quoted image]

Totally Agree!! Would love to have a hardtop with no holes as you do see these when playing. Most folks don't see the wood grain on the Flipper alignment pins, but I see them all the time. Urks the shit out of me as the rest is gorgeous. Painting and clearcoating helps but just to go that little step would be nice. At least in the areas where folks see them.
Mike

#2328 2 years ago

I think a option to get the hardtop with zero holes would be good.

The holes down by the flipper tip pins bother me. And are totally unnecessary.

#2329 2 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Totally Agree!! Would love to have a hardtop with no holes as you do see these when playing. Most folks don't see the wood grain on the Flipper alignment pins, but I see them all the time. Urks the shit out of me as the rest is gorgeous. Painting and clearcoating helps but just to go that little step would be nice. At least in the areas where folks see them.
Mike

My Space Shuttle Hardtop arrived last fall with no holes for the alignment pins or the ball guides under the flippers. I had to drill holes for each, and as a result, no wood shows for these. It was also missing holes in a few other places that worked to the same advantage.

#2330 2 years ago
Quoted from MisterScappy:

My Space Shuttle Hardtop arrived last fall with no holes for the alignment pins or the ball guides under the flippers. I had to drill holes for each, and as a result, no wood shows for these. It was also missing holes in a few other places that worked to the same advantage.

I want to order a Flash Gordon HT as soon as I can find out where. I am hoping that I can get it with these holes not drilled. Would make me so happy.
Mike

#2331 2 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

I want to order a Flash Gordon HT as soon as I can find out where. I am hoping that I can get it with these holes not drilled. Would make me so happy.
Mike

You need to email Outside Edge in order to order a FG Hardtop.

#2332 2 years ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

I think a option to get the hardtop with zero holes would be good.
The holes down by the flipper tip pins bother me. And are totally unnecessary.

I have already planted that seed with Bruce.

#2333 2 years ago

I would think alignment would be that much more difficult without some kind of reference from the bottom to the top of the playfield. The process is to make sure the inserts are aligned at the bottom the best, working your way up to the top, when lining the HT onto the original PF.

#2334 2 years ago

I haven't been following this thread lately but would like to post about my HS HT job. This started with 2 HS games. I bought a nice game in 2010, nice cab and has been solid for years board wise. I swapped in a NOS cleared PF this passed summer. About 6 years ago I bought another HS for a great price but PF was trashed and dirty, cab so so. When I learned of the HT I decided this game would be a good candidate.

I did the usual prep for the HT, sanded pf to bare wood. Cleared with Spray max 2K clear. When checking the HT for fitment I was a little discouraged as some of the key points did not line up. The worst part was at the buffer wires and flipper rest pins. If I did line them up, the rest of the HT was off even more. I sent it back to OE to have it checked to see if it was miss-punched but it wasn't and they sent it back to me.

My solution was to fill the holes for the buffers and rest pins, paint black over them and drill new holes to re-locate them. Many of the inserts were off as well. I think mainly because this game is an early one, within the first 500 or so. I figured there are many variations from then to more recent games.

Opening the holes for the star roll-overs is a job that can't be rushed. With advice from a guy that has done many of these, I used a small Dremel drum sander attachment and went slow until I got to the edges of the wood. He said to go a tad larger so that the HT doesn't pop or buckle around the insert.

Mostly all the holes were about half way off. This is easy to correct with patients and the right tools. In my Dremel bit hoard I found one spiral type but that would cut the HT without tearing it up. I don't know what the bit is called or where I got it.

I have made nice progress in the last few weekends.

P2200259 (resized).JPGP2200259 (resized).JPGP2200260 (resized).JPGP2200260 (resized).JPGP2200261 (resized).JPGP2200261 (resized).JPGP2200262 (resized).JPGP2200262 (resized).JPGP2200263 (resized).JPGP2200263 (resized).JPGP2200265 (resized).JPGP2200265 (resized).JPGP2200266 (resized).JPGP2200266 (resized).JPGP2200267 (resized).JPGP2200267 (resized).JPG
#2336 2 years ago

It's funny because mine came with it but I never tried it out. BTW the newer version of the 400 which is now the 4000 feels like junk compared to the old one. Not as smooth and the motor speed is all over the place when set under 15k rpm. It just sounds cheap and might die any second.

#2338 2 years ago

This is the rotary tool for anything related to Hardtop of other restoration:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VDPRK28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

The HUGE benefit of this rotary tool is it has very high torque which means you can use it at lower speeds without the motor bogging down like a typical hand-held tool. This tool makes very quick work of polishing back inserts after sanding. Its also a very good price, and is good quality.

I dont really like typical hand-held units because you have to keep it revved high, and trying to maintain a lower RPM is difficult, and this could lead to unexpected results.

This is also an absolute must have, and it works perfectly with the rotary tool I mentioned above. This makes very easy - no risk of damaging work of polishing the inserts.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HT1QC2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#2339 2 years ago

Why use a rotary tool? Go to harbor freight and get a cheap trim-bit router, a trim bit at HD or Lowes, and go to town on every hole without worry? They use them on every piece of counter or cabinet laminate on the planet. Same principal.

#2340 2 years ago

Pilot router bit will trim through anything

IMG_20220219_180740.jpgIMG_20220219_180740.jpg
#2341 2 years ago

Okay, spare F14 got new inserts and sanded down for the hardtop install. Few little things to do yet.

What techniques are folks doing to line up the hardtop for the install?

IMG_20220221_182717 (resized).jpgIMG_20220221_182717 (resized).jpg
#2342 2 years ago
20220201_115158 (resized).jpg20220201_115158 (resized).jpg
#2343 2 years ago
Quoted from A1k71:

[quoted image]

That was what I was thinking, tape down half, then peel the backing halfway, apply the half, then untape, lift the other half and peel and apply. Did you primarily use the flipper holes as your alignment?

#2344 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

What techniques are folks doing to line up the hardtop for the install?

This is a pic of my hardtop right before I peeled the backing and put it down for good.
My technique was to align using the inserts as guides. I used a flashlight above and below insets to check for bare wood, or overhang. The two clamps in the picture were all I used to secure the hardtop once I had it aligned, just before adhering it to the playfield.
The one thing I definitely recommend is a second set of hands. Someone holding the hardtop off the playfield while the backing is removed, makes things go quick and smoothly. I removed close to half the backing, laid it down, then removed the clamps, lifted and removed remaining backing, and finished sticking it to the playfield.

3DBB0432-7FAD-449A-B38A-525529A2CCAD (resized).jpeg3DBB0432-7FAD-449A-B38A-525529A2CCAD (resized).jpeg
#2345 2 years ago
Quoted from Zero_Hour:

My technique was to align using the inserts as guides. I used a flashlight above and below insets to check for bare wood, or overhang. The two clamps in the picture were all I used to secure the hardtop once I had it aligned, just before adhering it to the playfield.

Exactly how I do it, too.

#2346 2 years ago

Thanks for all your input everyone! I'm hoping to install this weekend

#2347 2 years ago

I place 3 clamps on my installs. one at top center and two halfway down the playfield. Peel the bottom half and let it go.

#2349 2 years ago
Quoted from A1k71:

[quoted image]

If there is any wood showing around inserts you can outline the insert with a black Sharpie or paint before dropping the HT down. If using paint put it on thin.

#2350 2 years ago

Before, During and After pictures.
Totally satisfied with the result.

20220125_190257 (resized).jpg20220125_190257 (resized).jpg20220127_193614 (resized).jpg20220127_193614 (resized).jpg20220202_173324 (resized).jpg20220202_173324 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.