• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 67.
#2251 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

I’ve had my Pinbot Hardtop on for about 8 months now and I LOVE it. It still looks immaculate after about 30-60 minutes of daily use. One concern however is in the pic below. There appears to be some stress cracking where the ball drops in from the vortex ramp. There is no bubbling or raising, but I imagine eventually that might happen. Anything recommended to soften the blow? Mylar?
[quoted image]

eek, that is kind of worrisome. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse. Keep up updated on how bad it gets.

#2252 2 years ago

Was comparing F14 hardtop to original and was bummed out by the lazy work on the lettering.

The fonts don’t match original well, letters are not positioned correctly (arrow inserts too low), and different font weights are used (see 32k vs 16k).

All that work, why not vector trace original 0-9 and use that to match?

965E7F7D-D14B-4A86-830E-86E901BB9EEF.jpeg965E7F7D-D14B-4A86-830E-86E901BB9EEF.jpeg9DFC71AC-175A-4CF5-B42D-A8BA21F3F10A.jpeg9DFC71AC-175A-4CF5-B42D-A8BA21F3F10A.jpeg

#2253 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Was comparing F14 hardtop to original and was bummed out by the lazy work on the lettering.
The fonts don’t match original well, letters are not positioned correctly (arrow inserts too low), and different font weights are used (see 32k vs 16k).
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is super disappointing. It looks like someone forgot to BOLD the 32K and the 64K was shrinked down a size or two. Even the C touching the bottom black line of the arrow is wrong.

The question is why are the arrow outlines so damn thick? That's whats screwed up the appearance. (besides using a generic font)

#2254 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

3M says the 300LSE adhesive has an 18 month shelf life from the time it's shipped from 3M
https://www.hstmaterials.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/3M-300lse.pdf

So what does one do if you have a hard top that has been sitting longer than 18 months? I have one for my Flash Gordon but never got around to installing it. Now I'm kicking myself...

#2255 2 years ago

Wondering about future release, i asked on the thread about Mr and Mrs Pacman and also sent an email asking about it,
the original interest seeking post was 1 year ago,

any development on that ?

#2256 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Easy to criticize, harder to create.
If that is your biggest problem, you are lucky.

#2257 2 years ago
Quoted from Budwin:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"8a536248bb2a27d7a1ae72e350b601b8e8236141-1641083943-1800"};
//]]>

Sorry no, it’s just as easy for me to create vectors for the letters as it is to criticize. “Lucky” would be buying these for $200 instead of $400 since they aren’t a good match. These guys can do better.

#2258 2 years ago

Your example looks exactly the picture Outside Edge shows on their site. I would agree that it's a bit disappointing but the info was available when you ordered.

I get that everyone is excited when a title they've been waiting for becomes available but you still need to do your homework.

#2259 2 years ago
Quoted from Budwin:

They will never get better if things like this aren't pointed out.

#2260 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I agree, and the key lines around the inserts are super thick!

#2261 2 years ago

I have made Bruce aware of the concerns with F-14.

#2262 2 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I have made Bruce aware of the concerns with F-14.

If it's any help, I am 99.9% sure the font used in F-14 Tomcat is Eurostile Bold

#2263 2 years ago

Anyone put their F-14 on yet? Do the mistakes bother you? Thinking of selling my hardtop for this one.

#2264 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Anyone put their F-14 on yet? Do the mistakes bother you? Thinking of selling my hardtop for this one.

Installed and can’t wait to finish it. I don’t lose sleep over things like that.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2265 2 years ago

Any tips for upcoming tittles?

#2266 2 years ago

Finally "done" with hardtop #2. Plenty of things I still plan on eventually doing but for now we're finally up and running. If it can finally warm up outside I can start on the two mata haris I'm doing next.

That f14 looks awesome. I think that's going to be a GREAT hardtop game.

20220108_104726 (resized).jpg20220108_104726 (resized).jpg

#2267 2 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Installed and can’t wait to finish it. I don’t lose sleep over things like that.
[quoted image]

Looks great. Just sucks that i asked the question back in the spring if there was any progress on F14 and was told there is no plans in the near future to do anything with that title. So i sold mine. 5 months later boom there it is.

#2268 2 years ago

I just received my Xenon hardtop and can't wait to have it installed. It looks great.

#2269 2 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

Any tips for upcoming tittles?

They generally only do one hint after a new release. 8 ball coming soon.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2270 2 years ago

Product line is expanding in 2022.....

oe (resized).jpgoe (resized).jpg
#2271 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I think what bothers me more is the weird rounded “Flight Insurance” lettering on the insert. My original has both words horizontal and I don't like the rounded look at all. The only time I've seen that rounded labeling for this insert is in some of the sticker packs that exist for people to use when pulling the original mylar off. It makes it look like Outside Edge used the sticker pack as the basis for their lettering. It's nice that these hard tops exist and I'm really hoping that they'll make a future run that corrects these problems before I'm willing to give them my money.

#2272 2 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

[quoted image]

That’s cool. So are they fixing it?

#2273 2 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

[quoted image]

Looks very nice!!! So how are you going to shim the center eject? I’m thinking about just cutting a couple old business cards down and get some longer screws?

07131B5A-3BD3-43B3-B643-9A30F558C620 (resized).jpeg07131B5A-3BD3-43B3-B643-9A30F558C620 (resized).jpeg

#2274 2 years ago

Stuck a Frontier Hardtop on this weekend. Thanks Outside Edge!

Before:

5J5A9032 (resized).JPG5J5A9032 (resized).JPG

After:

5J5A9137 (resized).JPG5J5A9137 (resized).JPG

#2275 2 years ago

Two questions:

1. Shouldn't I be using a block sander instead of a variable sander?

2. Early SS playfields - were they using lead based paint? If so, advice on sanding as to not create a hazard?

#2276 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Shouldn't I be using a block sander instead of a variable sander?

Tons of folks (including myself) have used orbital sanders to strip a playfield to bare wood in preparation for a hardtop. No issues a long as you continuously apply even pressure and avoid creating dips.

Quoted from pb456:

Early SS playfields - were they using lead based paint? If so, advice on sanding as to not create a hazard?

Definitely true for early SS cabinets, probably true (seems logical) for the same playfields. Use a good rated mask (and protective eyewear) when sanding and attach a shop vac to your orbital sander and you'll be fine. Best to do it outdoors if you can so that any loose, escaped lead laden particles don't perch on your cars, boxes, and whatever other surfaces you have in your garage or workshop.

Don't forget - removing artwork from the playfield is an OPTIONIAL prep prior to putting down the hardtop. I've done it a couple of times just because of my anal retentive nature, but all you have to do is sand off the artwork from your inserts and buff out/shine-up those inserts before you lay down the hardtop (wet sand and/or dry sand + some clear, rattle can ok). One of the reasons I sanded the complete playfield artwork off is that particular playfield surface had some really rough spots (gouges / divots) and I used wood filler to ensure there were no cavities between the playfield surface and the underside of the hardtop.

#2277 2 years ago

I encountered an Eight Ball for sale near me that had a trashed playfield. I was kind of surprised that HT is not available. EB seems a natural candidate because so many were made and so many have worn playfields. The playfield itself does not appear to have licensing issues as the backglass would. Seems that game would be a good candidate for a future release.

#2278 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

I encountered an Eight Ball for sale near me that had a trashed playfield. I was kind of surprised that HT is not available. EB seems a natural candidate because so many were made and so many have worn playfields. The playfield itself does not appear to have licensing issues as the backglass would. Seems that game would be a good candidate for a future release.

I say the same for Supersonic.

#2279 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

And Space Station

#2280 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

See post #2269 above.

#2281 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

And Space Station

And Elektra.

#2282 2 years ago

And Stargate.

#2283 2 years ago

And Black Knight 2000, pretty please with whipped cream and a cherry!

1 week later
#2284 2 years ago

Hard to tell...is the nine ball solid yellow or white with a yellow stripe?

#2285 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Hard to tell...is the nine ball solid yellow or white with a yellow stripe?
[quoted image]

Looks solid yellow/orange

#2286 2 years ago

How about Vector?
Plenty of worn out vector play fields.

#2287 2 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Looks solid yellow/orange

According to Outside Edge, the error has been corrected.

#2288 2 years ago

For anyone who's curious. I just received my F-14 Tomcat hardtop and the font issue and the Flight Insurance light have been corrected. This thing looks perfect in every way!

#2289 2 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

For anyone who's curious. I just received my F-14 Tomcat hardtop and the font issue and the Flight Insurance light have been corrected. This thing looks perfect in every way!

That's awesome! Now I hope they have time to work on Elektra upper and basement hardtops. They are small so hopefully won't take as much time as a fully hardtop. They are desperately needed to save a lot of games. I'd be up for two sets.

#2290 2 years ago

Screenshot_20220127-125626_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220127-125626_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

Looks like a match

Screenshot_20220127-130021_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220127-130021_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#2291 2 years ago
13E0276B-2844-4CC8-B07B-1A6BE173F734 (resized).jpeg13E0276B-2844-4CC8-B07B-1A6BE173F734 (resized).jpeg
#2292 2 years ago

On the F-14 hard top are the arrow inserts clear on the hard top or are they tinted red and blue? My inserts are badly faded.

#2293 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

That's awesome! Now I hope they have time to work on Elektra upper and basement hardtops. They are small so hopefully won't take as much time as a fully hardtop. They are desperately needed to save a lot of games. I'd be up for two sets.

It’s time….. time for Elektra fans to rejoice!!!

#2294 2 years ago

OMG! If this is for real that is awesome! I'll do what I can to help. My Elektra has been waiting to be refreshed for years.

#2295 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

On the F-14 hard top are the arrow inserts clear on the hard top or are they tinted red and blue? My inserts are badly faded.

I'd imagine they'd be clear. AFAIK inserts are always clear so the underlying (actual) insert shows through..just with plastic over it.

#2296 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

My inserts are badly faded.

I have a set of new inserts I could sell you.

#2297 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I'd imagine they'd be clear. AFAIK inserts are always clear so the underlying (actual) insert shows through..just with plastic over it.

You can find a picture of the F14 hardtop in the topic gallery here : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/players-f-14-tomcat-refresh

#2298 2 years ago

So Electra is a unique bird indeed, the main playfield is essentially already hard topped. A lot of owners may only be interested in the upper and lower playfields. It may be in outside edges best interest to do extra runs of the upper and lowers and allow owners to cherry pick to suit their own needs. Any chance?

#2299 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I have a set of new inserts I could sell you.

PM Sent!

#2300 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

So Electra is a unique bird indeed, the main playfield is essentially already hard topped. A lot of owners may only be interested in the upper and lower playfields. It may be in outside edges best interest to do extra runs of the upper and lowers and allow owners to cherry pick to suit their own needs. Any chance?

I’m guessing it’s going to be the upper and lower only. No way to do the main really unless they make it the thickness of the original with the print on it but I can’t see that happening.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/46 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.