• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 51 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1308 votes by 788 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3322 (resized).jpg
391735939_806303518171699_5751947203509962681_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4605 (resized).jpeg
FP2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 67.
#1951 2 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

I emailed them directly last month about the F-14 top because I had bought one all ratted out. I said I would wait for their hard top or I was going to buy a repro, The email I received indicated that they have no plans in the near future to produce one because they do not have the license for it. I ended up finding a nice shape used one.

Im guessing that would be my similar reply i would get from them if I inquired about Silverball Mania.

#1952 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Question: Should the holes in the hardtop be drilled out so all posts sit flush with the original playfield wood? Or is it pending which posts sit on wood and some sit on the hardtop. I know it was mentioned that screwing in posts too tight could lift the hardtop; just confirming the correct methodology.

I've done 5 hardtop now (soon to be 6) and the only thing I've ever had to alter were drop target holes and star roll-overs. The drop targets sometimes can snag on the edge of the hardtop and you just need to file it back ever so slightly. The star roll-over inserts need to be popped out and you must open the hardtop hole up to the correct size. I guess they do this since it's such a critical part of the playdield to line up.
Otherwise most holes for posts are just fine as they are.

#1953 2 years ago

Very happy so far with my Blackout hardtop.

Two remarks for those who will get one too :

1. My hardtop was missing 2 holes, one for the "adjustable" left post of the left outlane, and one by the right flipper for the anti-cheat (flush) ball guide. This hole is right in the middle of the Blackout "K". Make sure you locate it before the installation.

2. I replaced all my inserts and simply ordered the same colors as I had initially. I should have put more thoughts into... Not sure why but Williams used some orange/amber arrow inserts in front of the top right drop targets bank. These are the targets related to the "transition Yellow" callout. Why didn't they use yellow inserts ? Same for the related small round insert between the red and green 5000s. It would have made way more sense to have these inserts all yellow... anyway too late for me but whoever is reading and in the process of restoring a Blackout, maybe consider yellow inserts if you want to bring more logic to your machine

IMG_20210331_092520 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092520 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210331_092618 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092618 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210331_092535 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092535 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210331_092552 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092552 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210331_092543 (resized).jpgIMG_20210331_092543 (resized).jpg

#1954 2 years ago

Looks great!

Quoted from manples:

Very happy so far with my Blackout hardtop.
Two remarks for those who will get one too :
1. I was missing 2 holes, one for the "adjustable" left post of the left outlane, and one by the right flipper for the anti-cheat (flush) ball guide. This hole is right in the middle of the Blackout "K". Make sure you locate it before the installation.

The hole on my playfield went all the way through. I just drilled up through the bottom.

Quoted from manples:

2. I replaced all my inserts and simply ordered the same colors as I had initially. I should have put more thoughts into... Not sure why but Williams used some orange/amber arrow inserts in front of the top right drop targets bank. These are the targets related to the "transition Yellow" callout. Why didn't they use yellow inserts ? Same for the related small round insert between the red and green 5000s. It would have made way more sense to have these inserts all yellow... anyway too late for me but whoever is reading and in the process of restoring a Blackout, maybe consider yellow inserts if you want to bring more logic to your machine

I replaced all of mine as well. I didn't think about using yellow either. I did however take a few other liberties. I changed the inlanes to red, out lanes to clear(w/ color changing led), and blue for the bonus multipliers at the bottom.

#1955 2 years ago

Oooh yay look at me ahead of the trend, I made my upper Blackout inserts yellow when I replaced them a year ago I changed the right spinner loop arrow to Red too. Left all the others the same though since they weren't specifically called out by game's speech.

Still haven't plunged on the hardtop yet, kept thinking one of my other games was right around the corner.

~~~~

What additional licensing is needed for unlicensed themes like F14 and Space Station? I thought OE had already acquired such licenses in the WMS library from PPS? Those were on OE's original poll.

#1956 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Question: Should the holes in the hardtop be drilled out so all posts sit flush with the original playfield wood? Or is it pending which posts sit on wood and some sit on the hardtop. I know it was mentioned that screwing in posts too tight could lift the hardtop; just confirming the correct methodology.

Nope, post should sit on top of the HT surface.

Obviously, don't screw the posts down too tight or the plastic surface will distort, slightly deflecting the ball.

Just snug 'em up.

#1957 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Nope, post should sit on top of the HT surface.
Obviously, don't screw the posts down too tight or the plastic surface will distort, slightly deflecting the ball.
Just snug 'em up.

Or, in worst case scenarios, like I put myself in with my damn Eight Ball Deluxe...you end up causing the HT to pull from the wood, or art from the plastic, or..whatever. Don't overtighten. It's not your friend.

#1958 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Or, in worst case scenarios, like I put myself in with my damn Eight Ball Deluxe...you end up causing the HT to pull from the wood, or art from the plastic, or..whatever. Don't overtighten. It's not your friend.

Thanks, everyone! Big moment tonight! Pinbot will live again

#1959 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Thanks, everyone! Big moment tonight! Pinbot will live again

I’m bound and determined to have this up and running again *soon* as well. Keep moving forward.

89615828-B830-4421-822D-CB0FCE426632 (resized).jpeg89615828-B830-4421-822D-CB0FCE426632 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1960 2 years ago

Hardtop complete! This is like playing on glass. I noticed some scuffs after the first day of play like on a playfield protector I have on another machine. Took a dry rag and they wiped right off, looking like I just peeled off the plastic for the first time. It’s gorgeous and plays like 1986. With the new plastics, flipper rebuild, and Titan rubbers, it feels like a brand new game.

B492F3C7-E79D-4F5A-95FF-453732F66552 (resized).jpegB492F3C7-E79D-4F5A-95FF-453732F66552 (resized).jpeg
#1961 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Hardtop complete! This is like playing on glass. I noticed some scuffs after the first day of play like on a playfield protector I have on another machine. Took a dry rag and they wiped right off, looking like I just peeled off the plastic for the first time. It’s gorgeous and plays like 1986. With the new plastics, flipper rebuild, and Titan rubbers, it feels like a brand new game.
[quoted image]

Nicely done! I've been fighting lamp and solenoid issues for a while on ebd, although the topside is back together other than flippers (ordering more stuff.. This time new coils ahead of this flipper rebuild / "downgrade"). Think I screwed up my J3 lamp connector repin that caused a lot of...frustration. New solenoid expander board in, connector flipped, new symptoms (but seemingly better, I guess.. Lol). I'm pretty sure several lamp sockets I replaced need rework also.

Hopefully soon I'm through this. It's been a frustrating trudge since I put down the hardtop. On a lighter note, the hardtop itself seems to be sticking down GREAT--not a single sign of any lifting anywhere that I can see.

received_892026764678174 (resized).jpegreceived_892026764678174 (resized).jpeg

#1962 2 years ago

Nicely done! I've been fighting lamp and solenoid issues for a while on ebd, although the topside is back together other than flippers (ordering more stuff.. This time new coils ahead of this flipper rebuild / "downgrade"). Think I screwed up my J3 lamp connector repin that caused a lot of...frustration. New solenoid expander board in, connector flipped, new symptoms (but seemingly better, I guess.. Lol). I'm pretty sure several lamp sockets I replaced need rework also.
Hopefully soon I'm through this. It's been a frustrating trudge since I put down the hardtop. On a lighter note, the hardtop itself seems to be sticking down GREAT--not a single sign of any lifting anywhere that I can see.
[quoted image]

Looks awesome! You will get there. I had a lot of switch adjustments and cleaning, some strange issues with other mechanisms, but thankfully almost all mechanical. My very last hang up to get this 100% is a lamp column that's out. Hoping it's a simple transistor replacement. Haven't gotten there yet. The struggle is worth the outcome!

#1963 2 years ago

Answered. Thanks

20210416_184532 (resized).jpg20210416_184532 (resized).jpg20210416_184541 (resized).jpg20210416_184541 (resized).jpg

#1964 2 years ago

Edit add on:
Of the 3 Hardtops ive purchased, this one is easily the biggest let down. The colour matching is not good on this one and some original art is missing from this print. Black Knight was beautiful, Blackout was pretty great as well. High Speed.....cant recommend this one unless your playfield is absolutely toasted (like mine was).

20210401_000428 (resized).jpg20210401_000428 (resized).jpg

#1965 2 years ago

I can't comment on the color mismatches for your title, but rollover holes are *not* opened up (by design). You must open them up yourself....it's actually fairly easy to do with a Dremel and you should do after the hardtop is laid down and installed on the playfield.

From the Hardtop FAQ (http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/hardtop-faq.html):

Rollovers OE (resized).jpgRollovers OE (resized).jpg
#1966 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I can't comment on the color mismatches for your title, but rollover holes are *not* opened up (by design). You must open them up yourself....it's actually fairly easy to do with a Dremel and you should do after the hardtop is laid down and installed on the playfield.
From the Hardtop FAQ (http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/hardtop-faq.html):[quoted image]

Cheers. Yeah all the colours are too light and almost anywhere in the playfield that had the darker grey just has the lighter grey. The road are so light. Fresh asphalt lol.
You can see pretty clearly in this pic. The freeway bonus area has two shades of grey. The darker is what was used for the roads on the original. There is no trace of the darker grey after the freeway bonus area. The yellows and blues are also far too pastel like. I love Hardtops and their ability to save beat up games but id have gone CPR on this one knowing what i now know. Lesson learned.

20210416_190541 (resized).jpg20210416_190541 (resized).jpg
#1967 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Cheers. Yeah all the colours are too light and almost anywhere in the playfield that had the darker grey just has the lighter grey. The road are so light. Fresh asphalt lol.
You can see pretty clearly in this pic. The freeway bonus area has two shades of grey. The darker is what was used for the roads on the original. There is no trace of the darker grey after the freeway bonus area. The yellows and blues are also far too pastel like. I love Hardtops and their ability to save beat up games but id have gone CPR on this one knowing what i now know. Lesson learned.[quoted image]

Small potatoes imo. CPR isn't exactly known for 100% nailing everything either. There are a BUNCH of backglasses, for example, that are just.... Not great. For example the one they offer for Eight Ball Deluxe..gross. I bought mine from Shay and it's gorgeous. It took CPR how many tries to finally get the EBD playfield right? It is what it is.

Those who don't want to swap should still be interested in a hardtop if their playfield is bad. Fact is, you can always install a hardtop and swap later if you end up not being happy with the result. I bet someone would still pay for a bare hardtopped playfield..

The gradient issue is definitely a bummer to hear but at the end of the day I had no idea it was even a thing until you mentioned it and showed the pictures.

IMO, if you can pinpoint the gradient difference on the road while playing, you probably aren't playing from standard player POV. Again, just my opinion, but to me the majority of that is hidden while playing. I'm extremely pleased with my high speed hardtop and thus far I'm very happy with the second attempt at eight ball deluxe. Finished mine earlier this week and I'm dialing things in now.

PXL_20210416_014041631 (resized).jpgPXL_20210416_014041631 (resized).jpgreceived_390831821912691 (resized).jpegreceived_390831821912691 (resized).jpeg

#1968 2 years ago

Of course there are lighting differences, but KnockerPTSD 's HS certainly looks lighter in the grays, and even the blue, vs. KSUWildcatFan 's. Worth reaching out to OE to at least ask if maybe there was a run issue on that particular HS.

HS HT (resized).jpgHS HT (resized).jpg
#1969 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Of course there are lighting differences, but Graysonsdad 's HS certainly looks lighter in the grays, and even the blue, vs. KSUWildcatFan 's. Worth reaching out to OE to at least ask if maybe there was a run issue on that particular HS.[quoted image]

Yeah, it's certainly possible he got a dud. I'm sure it does happen. Guess I didn't even think about that, I just assumed mine was the same. I remember someone with a shuttle got one with a bunch of graphical junk and was given a replacement. Bruce and Keith are great dudes. If there's something wrong with what you got, they'll take care of you.

#1970 2 years ago

I can't find my pre-install photos (I'm on a cheap replacement phone while mine is worked on) but this was one of my first pictures taken after applying my high speed hardtop. KnockerPTSD how does yours look if you compare it in person to this pic? Still washed out?

a9f9719f6bd3971d8523f4bdd096bf08a1d31984 (resized).jpga9f9719f6bd3971d8523f4bdd096bf08a1d31984 (resized).jpg

#1971 2 years ago

I can't find my pre-install photos (I'm on a cheap replacement phone while mine is worked on) but this was one of my first pictures taken after applying my high speed hardtop. Graysonsdad how does yours look if you compare it in person to this pic? Still washed out?
[quoted image]

I looks to me like your blues and yellows are accurate but you still have the light grey roads like mine has.

You are also missing the liscense plate number. I was told that this has since been amended

#1972 2 years ago

Yeah, I agree yours does look kind of... Washed out. My suggestion would be to get a dialog going with @outsideedge because if yours truly is washed out compared to others you'll for sure want to address that prior to installing it. Uninstalling and installing a new one SUCKS).

I never noticed the missing license plate but man that thing is tiny, I'm not sure I'd have ever noticed it was supposed to be there had I not just read it. Being from kansas, I'm used to not seeing a plate on the front. I know some states require it..

IMG_20190901_155843 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_155843 (resized).jpg

Sure enough, it was there on the playfield before I sanded it down. I remember being far more concerned about having the correct score amount in the bonus area when I started down this path. I don't remember which but the first run had the wrong score on one of the windows. Now THAT would drive me nuts.

#1973 2 years ago

Yeah, I agree yours does look kind of... Washed out. My suggestion would be to get a dialog going with @outsideedge because if yours truly is washed out compared to others you'll for sure want to address that prior to installing it. Uninstalling and installing a new one SUCKS).
I never noticed the missing license plate but man that thing is tiny, I'm not sure I'd have ever noticed it was supposed to be there had I not just read it. Being from kansas, I'm used to not seeing a plate on the front. I know some states require it..
[quoted image]
Sure enough, it was there on the playfield before I sanded it down. I remember being far more concerned about having the correct score amount in the bonus area when I started down this path. I don't remember which but the first run had the wrong score on one of the windows. Now THAT would drive me nuts.

I have already been in contact with Outside Edge and we are going to discuss my colour issues via telephone next week. Super customer service

#1974 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I have already been in contact with Outside Edge and we are going to discuss my colour issues via telephone next week. Super customer service

Hope they get it resolved for you! OE has great customer service.

#1975 2 years ago

when you're on the phone with them tell them to just put out a list of upcoming games already! begging and wishing on this thread is redundant and getting us nowhere!

#1976 2 years ago

Adding my vote for an Embryon hardtop. I recently picked one up with a blown out playfield that is a future restoration candidate.

#1977 2 years ago

Monday morning F-14 Tomcat vote!

#1978 2 years ago

I now have a reproduction play field in my shop and no longer need to wait for a pie in the sky hard top.

Regards from Hamburg
Peter.

#1979 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I now have a reproduction play field in my shop and no longer need to wait for a pie in the sky hard top.
Regards from Hamburg
Peter.

Grumpy gonna kick some Yagov ass

#1980 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I looks to me like your blues and yellows are accurate but you still have the light grey roads like mine has.
You are also missing the liscense plate number. I was told that this has since been amended

Hey KnockerPTSD ... PM'ed you.

#1981 2 years ago

I'm still crossing my fingers for that silverball mania one.

My poor center playfield :'(

#1982 2 years ago
Quoted from Wizkid93:

I'm still crossing my fingers for that silverball mania one.
My poor center playfield :'(

YES!!!

I believe it has the most votes out of the games that haven't been done yet.... so..... fingers crossed here as well.

#1983 2 years ago

Elektra still needs a Hardtop set and I'm sure there are some Mr & Mrs Pacman games that could use one too!

#1984 2 years ago

Hoping for Bally Strikes and Spares. Then 100% of my games will have hardtops and roll smooth as glass.

#1985 2 years ago
Quoted from eagle18:

Hoping for Bally Strikes and Spares. Then 100% of my games will have hardtops and roll smooth as glass.

That would be a fun one to install.....10 rollovers!

#1986 2 years ago

Bally Star Trek. Can that ever happen or no?

#1987 2 years ago
Quoted from Habermania:

Sure, it can.

#1988 2 years ago

i just got bought a pretty rough Star Trek and was figuring out what my options are. I like the idea of doing something unique, like a full retheme... but I also don't want to bastardize it.

#1989 2 years ago

Could be a year, 2, or 3 years away. Who really knows.

#1991 2 years ago

I haven't posted about BOP lately...

So please make a BOP hardtop!

#1992 2 years ago
Quoted from Habermania:

They have been remade many times before, but because there are 4 different factory variations in the insert colors, nubies always bitch that they were made "wrong"

OE probably does not want the headache

47072254851_826c751bae_c (resized).jpg47072254851_826c751bae_c (resized).jpg
#1993 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They have been remade many times before, but because there are 4 different factory variations in the insert colors, nubies always bitch that they were made "wrong"
OE probably does not want the headache[quoted image]

Insert colors wouldn't matter, hardtops use clear "holes" over the inserts. My guess is the headache would come from acquiring the license to Star Trek.

#1994 2 years ago

Star Trek classic is the easiest license.

They even put it on kleenex boxes at the dollar store

"To boldly blow......"

#1996 2 years ago

Is Novus 1 a definite no-no for cleaning the Hardtop surface? I've cleaned it a few times with it and it takes up the scuffs perfectly. I don't want to compromise the coating in any way, however.

#1997 2 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

Is Novus 1 a definite no-no for cleaning the Hardtop surface? I've cleaned it a few times with it and it takes up the scuffs perfectly. I don't want to compromise the coating in any way, however.

I will ask Bruce

#1998 2 years ago

Bruce said that’s fine. He uses it on his games.

#1999 2 years ago

Is it normal for a TON of dust and misc....crap...to show up inside these? Is this in ALL games and just extra noticeable with the glossy hardtop? Probably the only thing that annoys me about this.. otherwise I love my hardtops!

#2000 2 years ago

Are you asking about on top of the hardtop or between the inserts and the hardtop?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Boards
Troxel Repair
Boards
$ 10.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
£ 185.00
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
There are 3,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/40?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.