• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 67.
#1851 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

LOL! I don't even know what a torsion box table is?

A torsion box table is like a giant I-beam grid.

It is dead flat, and stays that way. You can't flex it

Mine is 11.5" deep, so I can clamp anything to it and know it will glue up dead-nuts-square

If you build a rolling cart under it, make sure it is the same height as your tablesaw....you will instantly know why

Over the years, mine got covered in glue and gouges, so I pulled it up onto the CNC mechmate, and then ran a surfacing bit over the entire top - dead flat again.
Inside the Torsion box table, is a grid of the same material as the top and bottomInside the Torsion box table, is a grid of the same material as the top and bottom

#1852 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Thanks for the idea Vid! * You should start you own YouTube channel called Vid's vids.

That would be funny.

I've done videos before, but it quadruples the time it takes to do a repair, even without editing (let alone no one could understand my accent...).

#1853 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That would be funny.
I've done videos before, but it quadruples the time it takes to do a repair, even without editing (let alone no one could understand my accent...).

Thanks again vid!! Always a learning experience around you!!

#1854 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That would be funny.

I did this ONE timelapse of a start to finish resto. That was the last time I took the time to do all that setup. Usually I'll just cover a small thing here and there, or a final reveal along with some rules.

#1855 3 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I did this ONE timelapse of a start to finish resto. That was the last time I took the time to do all that setup. Usually I'll just cover a small thing here and there, or a final reveal along with some rules.

That's a great video, I've watched that before (as should everyone)

#1856 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A torsion box table is like a giant I-beam grid.
It is dead flat, and stays that way. You can't flex it
Mine is 11.5" deep, so I can clamp anything to it and know it will glue up dead-nuts-square
If you build a rolling cart under it, make sure it is the same height as your tablesaw....you will instantly know why
Over the years, mine got covered in glue and gouges, so I pulled it up onto the CNC mechmate, and then ran a surfacing bit over the entire top - dead flat again.
[quoted image]

CNC is cheating, your supposed to build your own router sled and plane it

1 week later
#1857 3 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1858 3 years ago

I hope Earthshaker is next

#1859 3 years ago

I hope space station is soon!

#1860 3 years ago

Wow didn’t expect that System 11 to be the next one. Still have my fingers crossed for Space Station!

#1861 3 years ago

Yeah, that came outta nowhere. Where's Space Station and F-14?

I KNOW! The moment I place my order for Blackout, they'll announce Space Station to screw me out of combined shipping...

(Seriously I was holding off thinking *maybe any moment now* but... arrgh. First World Problem, I know).

#1862 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Yeah, that came outta nowhere. Where's Space Station and F-14?
I KNOW! The moment I place my order for Blackout, they'll announce Space Station to screw me out of combined shipping...
(Seriously I was holding off thinking *maybe any moment now* but... arrgh. First World Problem, I know).

Order Blackout now!

IMG_7800 (resized).jpgIMG_7800 (resized).jpg
#1863 3 years ago

please please please.......

DSC_0287 (resized).JPGDSC_0287 (resized).JPG
#1864 3 years ago

Space station!!!

#1865 3 years ago

Six Million Dollar Man is needing a hardtop in a big way!!!

D148A665-C3D6-41C8-86BC-4D008B92EE5A (resized).jpegD148A665-C3D6-41C8-86BC-4D008B92EE5A (resized).jpeg
#1866 3 years ago

Could use a diner

#1867 3 years ago

Add me to the Bride of Pinbot list!

#1868 3 years ago

If f14 is a thing....I would buy it and a future spa.....

#1869 3 years ago

I vote for F-14 on a monthly basis!

#1870 3 years ago

Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man

#1871 3 years ago
Quoted from Pandelis:

Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man

Get them the license and im sure theyd be happy to

#1872 3 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I vote for F-14 on a monthly basis!

I vote all 12 months at once. F-14F-14F-14F-14F-14F-14F-14F-14F-14F-14F-14F-14!

#1873 3 years ago

Weird, I thought it was gonna be Jungle Lord. Maybe it's in the pipe.

#1874 3 years ago

I was also holding out for a Jungle Lord so I could purchase that and Pharaoh together. Anyone know if JL is still in the queue?

#1875 3 years ago
Quoted from Rougarou:

I was also holding out for a Jungle Lord so I could purchase that and Pharaoh together. Anyone know if JL is still in the queue?

It is still in the queue and being worked on... Jokerz just finished up first

#1876 3 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

It is still in the queue and being worked on... Jokerz just finished up first

Waiting for its new hardtop

20210220_133046 (resized).jpg20210220_133046 (resized).jpg
#1877 3 years ago

Hi, I have a Taxi hardtop that I'm not going to use. Its still in the box it came in. If interested let me know

Dave

#1878 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Waiting for its new hardtop
[quoted image]

Does this machine really need a hard top?
That playfield doesn't look bad.

#1879 3 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Does this machine really need a hard top?
That playfield doesn't look bad.

I would be attempting to touch up the paint on this one.

#1880 3 years ago

Another “in for an F14”!

#1881 3 years ago

I have a Pinbot install upcoming. Right now, the playfield is covered in mylar. After removing the mylar, do I need to get up any remaining adhesive residue, or can I advance straight to sanding?

#1882 3 years ago
Quoted from dq13:

I have a Pinbot install upcoming. Right now, the playfield is covered in mylar. After removing the mylar, do I need to get up any remaining adhesive residue, or can I advance straight to sanding?

Just sand it. Much easier to do and some time saved.

#1883 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Just sand it. Much easier to do and some time saved.

I agree, but be prepared to go through extra sanding pads. The residue with gum up the pads pretty quickly.

#1884 3 years ago

Bally Space Invaders - probably hard to license. But, when that playfield is roached, there's no hope except for a hardtop replacement.

#1885 3 years ago
Quoted from Didj:

Bally Space Invaders - probably hard to license. But, when that playfield is roached, there's no hope except for a hardtop replacement.

A friend just installed a playfield overlay from Classic Arcades. The inserts and artwork line up on about half the playfield and not another half, but It does exist.

CPR already did at least one run of new playfields. You can email to find out when they may run again. https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/spaceinvaders/

#1886 3 years ago
Quoted from Didj:

CPR made this title once and is planning another run.
https://classicplayfields.com/product-category/pinball-playfields/page/2/

#1887 3 years ago

Am I alone in needing a Kings of Steel HT? Seems like that PF took a beating, and they made 2900 of them.

#1888 3 years ago

Great color and indexing....
This is a prototype that just needed a few small tweaks, it was so close it is now installed on a play field.
Good work!

Jokerz Hardtop (resized).jpgJokerz Hardtop (resized).jpg
#1889 3 years ago

So I see that entire pf overlay stickers are available for BOP, but no hardtop (yet? is this wishful thinking on my part that a BOP hardtop will be released?)

I don't have experience with either other than reading some reviews and videos. A pf overlay sticker just doesn't seem as durable or perfectly smooth like a hardtop would be. Should I consider doing the overlay sticker instead of waiting for a real hardtop to come out?

#1890 3 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Should I consider doing the overlay sticker

Nope.

#1891 3 years ago

Thanks for your input! I'll just keep on playing for now and hope for a BOP hardtop release some day.

#1892 3 years ago

I just read an article online that currently there is a whole new series of SUPERSONIC passenger jets in the works. Anyway, that got me to thinking...

#1893 3 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I just read an article online that currently there is a whole new series of SUPERSONIC passenger jets in the works. Anyway, that got me to thinking...

It got you thinking about a new Stern Top Gun pin?

#1894 3 years ago

That would take my breath away

#1895 3 years ago

Um, I didn’t even know I wanted that, and now I do.

#1896 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I asked Steve Richie if he was sad that Williams made him remove the drop targets to save money.
He told me that HE switched over to stand up targets, because the drops took away that instant reaction speed of the games.
Steve scoffed at the idea that Williams made him remove them....

He said he took them off because the drops were not good quality and broke too often. The game would have been down too much on location because the drops would be broken all the time.

I can believe that. I keep breaking the Queen drops on Joker Poker and Firepower is a lot faster than JP is. Those targets are so close to the flippers you'd be breaking them left and right.

My Wizard hardtop...just beautiful

Completed Wizard (resized).jpgCompleted Wizard (resized).jpg

#1897 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

because the drops were not good quality and broke too often. The game would have been down too much on location because the drops would be broken all the time.

TimeWarp, the year before, had all those drops even closer than Firepower. Right in the line of fire.

So Steve probably thought he could copy that idea.....until he found out that they slow the game play down; too slow for the king of speed.
adsfasdf (resized).jpgadsfasdf (resized).jpg

#1898 3 years ago

And so it begins. This is a Monet of a playfield; looks good from a distance, but is a hot mess up close. Obscene ball swirl, several holes drilled through surface from underneath on play surface, sunken inserts, heavy cigarette tar tint, etc. I’m just not at restoration confidence or resourced. So excited for this Hardtop

677EC812-816D-4105-A94B-6DED927F8215 (resized).jpeg677EC812-816D-4105-A94B-6DED927F8215 (resized).jpeg
#1899 3 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Ya... there was one for sale locally that if the playfield was better looked like a good deal... but it was pretty bare

#1900 3 years ago

This public service announcement -- deserves its own topic, but I'll start it here and be very sloppy about it.

Quoted from vid1900:

slow the game play down

*** WHICH IS A MYTH ***

When you have 4 or 5 (out of 6) drops down you are MORE playing against a RUBBER than a drop target or a standup target. A RUBBER increases speed more than a standup target does.

When you have 0 or 1 drops down, you are MORE playing against drop targets -- and you could argue standups are faster play than a drop target (When they are up).

WHICH SITUATION IS MORE COMMON OR ARE THEY EQUAL? 0 or 1 drops down or 0 or 1 drops up??? We don't know !

Firepower has TWO sets, so you can have one bank DOWN for minutes while you hack at the second bank -- that RUBBER is PAIN while you wait -- FASTER than standups.

I can't believe people are still propagating this MYTH...

Don't make me call up the slow-mo guys to myth-bust this one for good... (about to press 'speed dial')

-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/38?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.