• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 67.
#1801 3 years ago

F-14!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least do it for GRUMPY! He deserves it!!

#1802 3 years ago

Not doing them on your dining room table is also recommended..

#1803 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

F-14!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least do it for GRUMPY! He deserves it!!

Hopefully GRUMPY is getting an F-14 playfield soon

#1804 3 years ago

You've got Comet. How about Cyclone next??

#1805 3 years ago

This

Quoted from mathewrs:

#1806 3 years ago

Any word if Elektra is in the queue? It sounds like CPR was toying with the idea but I don't know if that will ever happen. Elektra owners (myself included) really could use a hardtop option for at least the upper and lower playfield. I'd buy two sets if they made those. I have a vinyl overlay I could use if I have to but would prefer a hardtop. Really want to refresh that whole game. It plays perfect and over the last couple years has been used as my test fixture. Just want to make it look as good as it plays and finally bring it home.

Will we ever get a hardtop for Elektra or should we stop asking?

#1807 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Will we ever get a hardtop for Elektra or should we stop asking?

Sure will get one eventually, but if you look at the poll, it is currently not on their list to do. But, they have been known to throw in a surprise or two now and then.

#1808 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sure will get one eventually, but if you look at the poll, it is currently not on their list to do. But, they have been known to throw in a surprise or two now and then.

I sure hope so! That will help inspire me to do the code updates on the game. I did some a while back that were well received for BlackJack and have some things planned for Elektra. Want to build up to a 3 ball multiball having the lower playfield active too. Should be able to do it with plug in mods so it is all reversible. also thinking about adding a playfield magnet on the lower to mix things up but want to find the smallest phyisical option for that. Was going to use my extra lower for that purpose.

#1809 3 years ago
Quoted from mathewrs:

Are cyclone's really blown out this often?
I've had a few of them, none were really very worn.
Probably seen 20+ in person too.
Little bit of wear by the lanes at the top, but nearly none any where else.

It's not a knock, it's just i'm wondering whether some people are really picky and want perfection or is there a lot of cyclones out there that truly need hard tops.

#1810 3 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Unlike Comet, most I've see have held up pretty well.

#1811 3 years ago

F2K let's goooooo

Make it so !

#1812 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Unlike Comet, most I've see have held up pretty well.

Cyclone never made me any money on route, so they probably never got the play that Comet did

Comet = $$$$$$$

#1813 3 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

I've had a few of them, none were really very worn.
Probably seen 20+ in person too.
Little bit of wear by the lanes at the top, but nearly none any where else.
It's not a knock, it's just i'm wondering whether some people are really picky and want perfection or is there a lot of cyclones out there that truly need hard tops.

My Cyclone is looking bad. Well it looks a lot like my Comet. Would like them both to look mint again. Only games I own that the playfields have wear.

#1814 3 years ago

Hardtop #2 in the bag.

IMG_7612 (resized).jpgIMG_7612 (resized).jpg
#1815 3 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Hardtop #2 in the bag.
[quoted image]

I love the drop mod on this. Seems silly NOT to do it.

#1816 3 years ago

Anyone here into EM's? While em playfields tend to fare better than SS games, due to ball speed and other factors, there are many em games that could use a new playfield surface.

I've got a Skylab which I love, but man, is it planked and cupped! Probably not enough interest in the title to do one.

#1817 3 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Spy Hunter would be awesome I know there's not a huge amount of the machines out there but most of the PF's are shagged!

HearHear!!

#1818 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

People talk about the drops slowing down the gameplay. The drops coupled with a Hardtop play plenty fast to me.

#1819 3 years ago

Drops over standups almost alllllllways, imo.

#1820 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I asked Steve Richie if he was sad that Williams made him remove the drop targets to save money.

He told me that HE switched over to stand up targets, because the drops took away that instant reaction speed of the games.

Steve scoffed at the idea that Williams made him remove them....

#1821 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I asked Steve Richie if he was sad that Williams made him remove the drop targets to save money.
He told me that HE switched over to stand up targets, because the drops took away that instant reaction speed of the games.
Steve scoffed at the idea that Williams made him remove them....

Ha! I won't say he's wrong, I just prefer drops.

#1822 3 years ago

One could put in some modular connectors, and easily switch between the two targets bank styles

That would be cool

#1823 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

One could put in some modular connectors, and easily switch between the two targets bank styles
That would be cool

I agree!

#1824 3 years ago

Or how about do two hardtop playfields side by side at a show, one drop, one stand-up ?

Such a popular game, it seems like this would be very doable

#1825 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Or how about do two hardtop playfields side by side at a show, one drop, one stand-up ?
Such a popular game, it seems like this would be very doable

Absolutely, and really not all that expensive either.

#1826 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That would be cool

Already done! Although, I actually did this for easy serviceability. These are not the most reliable drop banks in the world.

62960538092__756C81F4-F18C-4F40-8960-3972456C6B83 (resized).jpg62960538092__756C81F4-F18C-4F40-8960-3972456C6B83 (resized).jpg
#1827 3 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Already done! Although, I actually did this for easy serviceability. These are not the most reliable drop banks in the world.[quoted image]

I've still got mine in the queue, though I did get the drop target banks, thanks for that. Did you have to do much fitting for the drop targets with the hardtop?

#1828 3 years ago
Quoted from Fn4me:

I've still got mine in the queue, though I did get the drop target banks, thanks for that. Did you have to do much fitting for the drop targets with the hardtop?

Hey man, happy to help! I opted out on the standup target behind the drops, so no additional alteration was need on the wood or Hardtop.

#1829 3 years ago

If anyone is in the market for an Evel Knievel hardttop, I have one available in the market place, save you some $$.

#1830 3 years ago

I recognize those drop target boards. (They're actually sized for .156 headers too, FYI).

-Hans

#1831 3 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I recognize those drop target boards. (They're actually sized for .156 headers too, FYI).
-Hans

Oh wow. I'll keep that in mind for the future!

#1832 3 years ago

would love a Paragon if it were possible!

#1833 3 years ago

Small question before I install a Blackout hardtop.
I noticed in the install videos for other games that there is adhesive in the shooter lane area. Blackout does not have this and I assume this is correct since the side rails will hold it down. Just wanted to make sure it’s not supposed to have adhesive under there.
Also there are 2 small strips of plastic connecting the open part of the shooter lane. Should I just remove these when I’m doing any trimming?

78B7E823-3833-4C3C-8CB3-3F0FF23A449B (resized).jpeg78B7E823-3833-4C3C-8CB3-3F0FF23A449B (resized).jpeg
#1834 3 years ago
Quoted from shimmydisc:

Small question before I install a Blackout hardtop.
I noticed in the install videos for other games that there is adhesive in the shooter lane area. Blackout does not have this and I assume this is correct since the side rails will hold it down. Just wanted to make sure it’s not supposed to have adhesive under there.
Also there are 2 small strips of plastic connecting the open part of the shooter lane. Should I just remove these when I’m doing any trimming?
[quoted image]

Yes, rails will hold it down. HOWEVER, once you have it lined up as best you can with inserts and switch slots, look at how the shooter lane lines up. I didn't take note to this until I had already applied the hardtop. Trimming the hardtop shooter lane channel is much easier while the hardtop is not applied to the game.

#1835 3 years ago

Good advice, thanks! Inserts all line up really well, and shooter lane looks good. Taking my time with this. It’s all prepped and ready to put down this weekend, can’t wait.

#1836 3 years ago

Since Black Knight has been made, will BK2K be made as well?

#1837 3 years ago

I know no one has said this but maybe another run of Flash Gordon........ just starting my 2nd hardtop EBD, I did a pinbot last year.

20210113_183235[1] (resized).jpg20210113_183235[1] (resized).jpg20210114_110335[1] (resized).jpg20210114_110335[1] (resized).jpg
#1838 3 years ago

Somebody made some money on that EBD!

1 week later
#1839 3 years ago

Can anybody tell me what the shelf life is on a hardtop? I want to buy one soon for my Comet but could be 5 years out from the install. My concern is that the adhesive might go bad. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

#1840 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballshack:

Since Black Knight has been made, will BK2K be made as well?

I'd be all in for that!

#1841 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Can anybody tell me what the shelf life is on a hardtop? I want to buy one soon for my Comet but could be 5 years out from the install. My concern is that the adhesive might go bad. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

The 3M 300LSE data sheet says 2 year for a shelf life

49DDAB9E-EED7-4436-8B18-295D5B2C9695 (resized).png49DDAB9E-EED7-4436-8B18-295D5B2C9695 (resized).png
#1842 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

In addition to the data sheet mrm_4 provided above, I'd recommend sending a PM to pinsider outsidedge. He/they make the hardtop and I'm sure you can get the proper skinny from him.

FWIW - My MH hardtop sat on my shelf for 6 months before I installed it. 18 months and hundreds of plays later, still like new.

#1843 3 years ago

But even after 2 years it’s not like the adhesive would just dry up and flake away it’s probably still stickier than hell. Let’s say the 2 years was a half-life, it’d probably be 10-12 years before it became the same as duct tape. And even then it would still service it’s purpose to hold onto a playfield with all the posts and pop bumpers holding it in place.

And we all know once that adhesive is down it isn’t ever coming up on it’s own.

#1844 3 years ago

So after seeing a post here regarding a newer Stern's playfield arc, I checked my Pinbot in part because I needed validation from the obscene amount of outlane balls. It's closer to an 1/8" on each side, stronger on the right where most balls are lost. I'm planning on installing a Hardtop. I'm hoping this is something I can level out during the sanding process? Are there other suggested corrections to this using a Hardtop? I can only assume that any arcing is more or less done happening after 35 years.

#1845 3 years ago

I've got a 49x49" torsion box table that has been machined dead flat by cnc

All plywood seems to have plenty of warpage when laid upon it

#1846 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Why am I not surprised?! Vid, you kick more ass than Chuck Norris!

#1847 3 years ago

LOL! I don't even know what a torsion box table is?

OK, I'll Google it!

#1848 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

LOL! I don't even know what a torsion box table is?
OK, I'll Google it!

It’s basically a grid with a skin on both sides. If you build it right it’s nice and flat and sturdy.

#1849 3 years ago
Quoted from radium:

It’s basically a grid with a skin on both sides. If you build it right it’s nice and flat and sturdy.

Yup, YouTube has some vids on how to build one. I may do this!!!

#1850 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Thanks for the idea Vid! * You should start you own YouTube channel called Vid's vids.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 29.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/37?hl=sawbill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.