• Strikes and Spares 40 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 46 votes
    4%
  • Supersonic 36 votes
    3%
  • Grand Lizard 67 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1054 votes by 613 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 319 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200605_2204110 (resized).jpg
IMG_8784 (resized).jpg
20200521_144654 (resized).jpg
20200521_144645 (resized).jpg
20200609_134311 (resized).jpg
20200808_133354 (resized).jpg
20200808_133420 (resized).jpg
20200808_133324 (resized).jpg
20200808_133316 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200504_1657427 (resized).jpg
IMG_2998 (resized).jpg
IMG_3001 (resized).jpg
15930626956061203599310853405505 (resized).jpg
20200618_134147 (resized).jpg
20200618_144019 (resized).jpg
20200618_144044 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1616 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 33.
#1601 14 days ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Last time I checked, I'm not playing the cab. If it's in okay shape and I hardtop and bulletproof the game and it plays amazing, I'm happy. I have a row of 4 pins side by side right now and you can barely see the cabs. The only one I want to move out of there is my Iron Maiden because the side art is really cool. Black Knight, Firepower, Judged Dredd and soon-to-be-moved-in Space Shuttle? Meh...
[quoted image]
Nothing like having a bunch of sleeper pins. Like a beat up old VW Beetle with a Porsche motor in it...
If it's a grail pin and you want to do a full restore then I'd be looking for a NOS or repro/CPR playfield not a hardtop.

Yeah, I'm not a huge cab condition collector either. I don't mind a nick or two here and there, some flaws and whatnot. Most of my games have them, after all...but my F14 has chunks out of it and looks awful in those spots -- IMO -- and I can see it even with it tucked in-between T2 and Taxi. It could probably be doctored up enough with some filler and black paint (lucky a lot of these chunks are on the edges which just so happen to be..black). I care about cab condition on exactly one of my games: Eight Ball Deluxe. And that's because that's the only pin I am currently doing and the only pin I plan to do "everything" on. Hardtop (new PF is just too much for me, or my skillset), new Shay plastics & BG, pinball pimp decals with assistance from a pro, jet black gloss powdercoated everything..etc. I'll go over the top with it because to me it's a sound investment and at the end of the day, if things really got rough, I wouldn't be forced to sell it for 30% of what I paid to get it there. I can't justify it on most others. JMO. We all have our opinions and I'm not preaching as though any of this is 'fact'. All just my opnion, and that's the opinion of someone who's been involved in pinball for....15 months. *shrug*

#1602 14 days ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Last time I checked, I'm not playing the cab. If it's in okay shape and I hardtop and bulletproof the game and it plays amazing, I'm happy. I have a row of 4 pins side by side right now and you can barely see the cabs. The only one I want to move out of there is my Iron Maiden because the side art is really cool.

Agreed. Some of those early SS Williams games have pretty uninspiring cabinet art anyway. Blackout and Firepower would be two. I thought about ordering stencils and doing my Blackout. I feel like I'd be more inclined to order stencils for some other space themed game with better cabinet art if I were going down that path.

#1603 13 days ago

I couldn't have cared less about cab condition when I started out, and GENERALLY SPEAKING I still don't (to a point) but as things have gotten nicer in my row it stands out more and more, and when I'm already deep into a game it's just one more thing to think about when I'm looking at throwing more money at it. I know some people couldn't give a rat's ass less about being upside down in a game, but that's just not how I've had to facilitate collecting what I have.

I know we're all different and we have our own opinions as well as our own criteria for how we approach this hobby given our unique limitations. I'm certainly not trying to change anyone's mind over my own personal opinion.

And I said no F-14 in jest, of course I want one for F-14.. it'll play fast as HELL with one and this is a perfect title for it imo. And I'll almost certainly do one, because I'm a glutton for punishment... But also because I adore the product (wouldn't have hardtops on 3 of my 8 pins otherwise).

#1604 13 days ago

For me, I also have to consider the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). She could care less what a pin looks like if I have it in the garage, but if I want to bring a pin into our family rec room / home theater room (where I currently have 7), the cab can't look like a beater. Nicks or scratches here and there are fine, but legs/coin doors can't be rusty, paint/decals can't be peeling or significantly fading, and no big cab holes/gouges or areas of de-lamination.

It's a small price to pay for her actually allowing me to grow my hobby and bring pins into the house. Plus, it forces me to expand my skill set into areas where I previously had little to no experience (working with wood and painting/stenciling).

#1605 13 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

For me, I also have to consider the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). She could care less what a pin looks like if I have it in the garage, but if I want to bring a pin into our family rec room / home theater room (where I currently have 7), the cab can't look like a beater. Nicks or scratches here and there are fine, but legs/coin doors can't be rusty, paint/decals can't be peeling or significantly fading, and no big cab holes/gouges or areas of de-lamination.
It's a small price to pay for her actually allowing me to grow my hobby and bring pins into the house. Plus, it forces me to expand my skill set into areas where I previously had little to no experience (working with wood and painting/stenciling).

You hit the nail on the head. Wife determination means a lot when you're trying to get her to buy in to you spending thousands of dollars on a hobby. I have to be in this for a price I could get back out of it if things got bad, otherwise it creates a ripple effect that I just don't want to deal with. So I scratch and claw at trying to stay in the black (cost vs. "value") on what I have. That generally means I let games find me rather than me finding specific games, but it's worked out well thus far. I love what I have.

FWIW, wife said World Cup Soccer can not, ever, leave. So there's that. I'm good with that one.

#1606 10 days ago

No hardtop for Bally Star Trek in the works?

#1607 9 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

For me, I also have to consider the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

Fortunately, or unfortunately, this is no longer an issue for me...

#1608 7 days ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

No hardtop for Bally Star Trek in the works?

CPR has the new playfield, but it’s $$$.

#1609 5 days ago

Night Rider!!

#1610 4 days ago

Well I finally managed to get BK Finished for the most part. Just a few minor things to get done like new rubbers "still deciding on if i want to go with different colors on upper and lower " and looking for a new plastics set
Want to thank everyone for all the tips and answers to my questions about the install. For the most part everything went quite well and and alignment was great.
The only issue i ran into was the size of the holes for the anti rebound bars below the flippers they are quite large so i did some touch up to try to match the paint and i think it looks pretty good

Thanks
Bruce

20200808_133316 (resized).jpg20200808_133324 (resized).jpg20200808_133354 (resized).jpg20200808_133420 (resized).jpg

#1611 4 days ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

Well I finally managed to get BK Finished for the most part.

Looks really nice! I picked up a Black Knight hardtop a few weeks ago for a fall/winter project. What kind of issues, if any, did you have with getting the ramps level with the playfield after the hardtop went in? Did you have to make any adjustments like in Cary Hardy's BK hardtop install video?

#1612 4 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Looks really nice! I picked up a Black Knight hardtop a few weeks ago for a fall/winter project. What kind of issues, if any, did you have with getting the ramps level with the playfield after the hardtop went in? Did you have to make any adjustments like in Cary Hardy's BK hardtop install video?

Thanks for the feedback. The ramps did need shimmed up a little but no big issue i just used some heavy white cover stock paper to make a shim that fit the opening worked out pretty well. As in the video i sanded all the artwork off both play fields and polished the jewels to 3000 grit. I also applied some black paint around all the jewels to allow for any alignment error around the openings on the hardtop then clear them. After a week of cure time i started the reassembly.
I also replaced the original rails with custom Padauk rails.I think the orange / red color of padauk looks awesome on BK.

I found it worked better for me anyway to align the jewels rather then trying to make all the screw holes and switches line up. You can trim the holes to fit you cant fix Jewel alignment errors For the most part Everything aligned very well i only need to trim a few switch holes. you will of course need to readjust all the switches to accommodate for the Hardtop thickness but that's pretty easy .
And ..... Check , check and recheck that the play field and the hardtop are clean and free of anything before applying the Hardtop

Hope your project goes well.

Hope that helps

Bruce

20200521_144645 (resized).jpg20200521_144654 (resized).jpg20200609_134311 (resized).jpg
#1613 4 days ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

I also applied some black paint around all the jewels to allow for any alignment error around the openings on the hardtop then clear them.

What kind of paint did you use? I did a Mata Hari hardtop last year - all inserts lined up great so I didn't need to paint any outlines (did need to widen out several holes with a Dremel). I'm doing an Eight Ball Deluxe hard top now - after taking off all artwork down to bare wood and polishing the inserts (I went to 2000), I put on a few light coats of rattle can clear last weekend so it should be ok by now. My test alignment this morning shows all inserts lining up great except for one that's a little off (the Eight Ball). Was going to paint just that one edge area around the 8-ball tonight using Liquitex Black Gesso (see picture), then decide if I'm going to put down the hardtop tomorrow or add a little clear over that really small area of new paint and wait to lay down the hardtop next weekend.

I used that Liquitex Black Gesso to repaint the top saucer of my Mata Hari black and that's held up well but it's not under the hardtop for me to gauge how that paint will behave under the EBD hardtop. So what did you use to paint your insert outlines? Thanx....

IMG_8784 (resized).jpg
#1614 4 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

What kind of paint did you use? I did a Mata Hari hardtop last year - all inserts lined up great so I didn't need to paint any outlines (did need to widen out several holes with a Dremel). I'm doing an Eight Ball Deluxe hard top now - after taking off all artwork down to bare wood and polishing the inserts (I went to 2000), I put on a few light coats of rattle can clear last weekend so it should be ok by now. My test alignment this morning shows all inserts lining up great except for one that's a little off (the Eight Ball). Was going to paint just that one edge area around the 8-ball tonight using Liquitex Black Gesso (see picture), then decide if I'm going to put down the hardtop tomorrow or add a little clear over that really small area of new paint and wait to lay down the hardtop next weekend.
I used that Liquitex Black Gesso to repaint the top saucer of my Mata Hari black and that's held up well but it's not under the hardtop for me to gauge how that paint will behave under the EBD hardtop. So what did you use to paint your insert outlines? Thanx....[quoted image]

Createx Airbrush Opaque,
Worked great heat set and then cleared with X2 gloss

#1615 2 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

What kind of paint did you use?

A friend gave me a bunch of Molotow paint markers and some round plastic stencils. I used those and a ruler to outline some of the round inserts, the arrows and the hot dogs on my Space Shuttle. And I used the white to fill in around the rollovers at the top.

IMG_20200605_2204110 (resized).jpg

Worked really well for me. And yes, I added my initials for shits and giggles...

#1616 1 day ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Fortunately, or unfortunately, this is no longer an issue for me...

Welcome to the club! My choice and couldn't be happier.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Madison, WI
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 75.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 17.00
$ 17.00
$ 22.50
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 50.00
1,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 117.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 999.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1616 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside