• Strikes and Spares 39 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 45 votes
    4%
  • Supersonic 35 votes
    3%
  • Grand Lizard 66 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1044 votes by 608 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 309 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2998 (resized).jpg
IMG_3001 (resized).jpg
15930626956061203599310853405505 (resized).jpg
20200618_134147 (resized).jpg
20200618_144019 (resized).jpg
20200618_144044 (resized).jpg
20200604_130521_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20200610_083852 (resized).jpg
extended roll overs 2 (resized).jpeg
big-reptile_orig (resized).jpg
received_1616685731812495 (resized).jpeg
received_230151784946140 (resized).jpeg
received_211879930150217 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200107_160420 (resized).jpg
36894E59-946A-4E20-A964-34947A8DAFB6 (resized).jpeg
9CDC2144-EC98-45E3-A593-4E1A1B949EBC (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1585 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 32.
#1551 31 days ago

What's the best way to readjust the shooter lane? I have to shift this hardtop way to the right on this Comet. The last comet needed to be shifted about 1/8" to the left.

Attach then cut? Cut ahead? This isn't the easiest material to cut nicely. Any overflow on the edges and I usually use a block plane.

IMG_20200610_083852 (resized).jpg

#1552 31 days ago

I am ready if they come out.

20200604_130521_HDR (resized).jpg
#1553 31 days ago
Quoted from Pinmasher:

I am ready if they come out.
[quoted image]

Did you hear anything or just hoping as well?

#1554 31 days ago

Just hoping! I will retheme if it does not happen which would not be what I would like to do but I have ideas! I have done 2 hardtops so far and LOVE them! My Flash is also on the chopping block hope they do that one also!

#1555 29 days ago

Still hope that they do the small upper and lower playfields for Elektra. Most need them and I’d be up for a couple sets.

#1556 23 days ago

Ive been avoiding the hardqarw store as the lines are insane right now but here i go. I dont have eniugh confidence in my vibrating sander anyway so time to pick up a orbital.
Ive watched the tutorials available but what is the concensus on the different grits of sandpaper i should pick up? Start down near 100 and work my way up to about 1000? Ive heard too fine is an issue when clearing inserts. I have up to 4000 around the house for when im making ugly lockdown bars nice again.

#1557 23 days ago

Sorry that was wordy and lost my question

Which sand paper grits are recommended?

#1558 23 days ago

I did up to 320 on the whole pf, but polished the inserts up to 3k

#1559 23 days ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I did up to 320 on the whole pf, but polished the inserts up to 3k

I did the same on the ones I have done works great!

#1560 23 days ago

Had one last game. It has begun....

20200618_134147 (resized).jpg20200618_144019 (resized).jpg20200618_144044 (resized).jpg
#1561 16 days ago

Just want to check in on everyones preferred clear.
Krylon the consensus?
Ive got some cans of Painters Touch already. Ive used it before lots of times but not for pinball. Any input? Ok to use or not? Krylon is a bit tougher to find around here.

15930626956061203599310853405505 (resized).jpg
#1562 16 days ago

I used Rust-O-Leum 2X gloss clear on my HS shooter lane and it worked great, with naphtha and a wipe with a paper towel between applications. It looked slightly different than your cans but I think it's the same stuff. Would recommend again.

#1563 15 days ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

What's the best way to readjust the shooter lane? I have to shift this hardtop way to the right on this Comet. The last comet needed to be shifted about 1/8" to the left.
Attach then cut? Cut ahead? This isn't the easiest material to cut nicely. Any overflow on the edges and I usually use a block plane.
[quoted image]

Mine is already down and I have overflow on both sides. A machinist could probably safely trim it for me? I thought about putting a thin strip of metal down(to protect the wood) in the shooter lane and cutting/grinding it down with the Dremel. Getting a straight clean line is the hard part. Maybe if I take my rails back off there will be enough play beyond the adhered part to left it up to safely trim it?

#1564 15 days ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Mine is already down and I have overflow on both sides. A machinist could probably safely trim it for me? I thought about putting a thin strip of metal down(to protect the wood) in the shooter lane and cutting/grinding it down with the Dremel. Getting a straight clean line is the hard part. Maybe if I take my rails back off there will be enough play beyond the adhered part to left it up to safely trim it?

I think i may cut it ahead to get it close and then sand it with a dremel to get it dead on.

#1565 15 days ago

If im understanding what you mean, I would just use a long file. If you arent familiar with how to best file and edge off cleanly, watch a cheap counter top installation video on youtube

#1566 15 days ago
Quoted from Clytor:

A small router with a template bit will do it quick and easy. Just clamp a straight edge along the line you want to cut.

Edit: sorry I just saw the first few words where you said it’s already down

#1567 13 days ago
Quoted from radium:

A small router with a template bit will do it quick and easy. Just clamp a straight edge along the line you want to cut.
Edit: sorry I just saw the first few words where you said it’s already down

I ended up using a mixture of files, shears and a dremel. I took the rails and some other stuff around the lane. I was able to get decent access to right side. I came out ok. The left side came out so so. I could only lift it up a little bit.

#1568 13 days ago

So next title up is Time Warp... which is cool and all, but a low-demand title in the poll. What about Space Station?? Or even F14 which is probably the most mentioned one not on the poll?

Note to OutsideEdge, I have a Space Station I can lend to the process if that's the holdup...

#1569 13 days ago

Cool to see that Time Warp is being done. Now let's see Time Fantasy!

#1570 13 days ago

Time Warp???
With only 22 votes?

#1571 13 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Time Warp???
With only 22 votes?

Someone at Outside Edge must own a beat up Time Warp lol

#1572 13 days ago

Just keep em coming..

#1573 13 days ago

Still holding out hope for Elektra.

#1574 11 days ago

I successfully installed my Wizard Hardtop and have to say it looks and plays awesome. I've also read most all 32 pages of this thread and its interesting to read some of the results.

Couple of observations.....
Fist off, preparation is key. Dust or crap under your inserts are lack thereof. In my instance my inserts were not salvageable so they were removed and replaced with new. They are stunning and theres no gap, the hardtop is completely resting on top of them. If I could salvage the inserts, I would have sealed the insert from underneath so there is no air gap. You'd be surprised how much air is getting in-between that space where old glue is shrunk, gone, or the insert has shrink just a tad. I would recommend gluing the entire insert in place if they can't be removed/replaced or re-seated flush. This is also a place to trap heat. Not good for the insert or the hardtop.

If you didn't wait a few days after sanding, cleaning, gluing, wiping with Naptha, cleaning the area, clearing the inserts, etc. I am assuming this is where some ghosting could be coming from. Off-gassing is a b*tch.

I purchased a small trim router from HF(I think it was $28) and a trim bit($8) from Lowes. It was perfect in routing off any excess Hardtop. I used it in every light/mech/etc. hole and even on the outside edge of the PF. I had a small lip on one side and took that off too. Clean look, and everything was 'fitted' at that point.

I addressed the kickout hole at the top and the shooter lane by standard practice of repair. They were a little chewed up. I cleared those areas and painted them 'wood' color. I then cleared them again. Seeing old dirty wood under the Hardtop was not an option, the contrast between the bright brilliant colors and the old wood was just plain bad. It looked much better with 'faux' wood color than the beat up stuff. If the wood was in better condition I wouldn't have done this step.

I also painted black around every insert(for replacements only) as well as brown around any rollover lane or holes that accepted wire guides. These too were cleared after painted. This way the holes looked fairly uniform if the Hardtop was a little misaligned and the eye is not distracted by odd variants of colors.

I would also not recommend cranking down your screws and bolts. Snug is good. Remember some posts left negative indents on the PF so all your doing is compromising that slight gap. It would put stress on the Hardtop unnecessarily.

Added a pic just for yuks. Yes I know the top apron is bad but finding that color paint may be impossible as well as replacement bottom apron decals since Pinball Rescue no longer makes them

Next up is a coveted Evel Knievel and I hope this one comes out just as good! Thats for making these, what an amazing product!

IMG_2998 (resized).jpgIMG_3001 (resized).jpg
#1575 11 days ago

I'm stuck on finding the right color or colors for fake wood. Would you mind sharing which color(s) you used and which product? Much appreciated. Thanks.

#1576 11 days ago

Those flip flags are cool!
Beautiful job!!

#1577 10 days ago
Quoted from hd60609:

I'm stuck on finding the right color or colors for fake wood. Would you mind sharing which color(s) you used and which product? Much appreciated. Thanks.

Its a total pain in the balls. Its all about mixing and mixing and just tweaking till you find the right shade. I would encourage getting a color wheel at a hobby or art shop, they are maybe 2-3 bucks. They will help you mix basic colors, then you can slowly add other colors or mixes of colors to get the right shade and tone. I made a nice beige but I did not get into doing 'grain' like some have. Honestly didn't seem worth the risk of making something stand out if it came out bad. I used acrylic paints, most normal brands you find at the hobby store. I also painted it with an air brush with helps it look flat to the surface. And always clear coat over the paint, rattle can is fine.

#1578 10 days ago

Thank you for sharing. I was afraid you'd say this. I have used the $1.00 acrylic paint bottles and a small airbrush a couple times to retouch a shooter lane and it was a pain!

I was hoping you were going to say that you used a Rustoleum Straw or Kahki (or a different color) and I could just pick up a can! Well, like most things, it's never that easy.

#1579 9 days ago

Jungle lord, embryon

#1580 9 days ago

If my deal with a mata hari comes through I certainly will be buying a hard top. The creation of this product has certainly changed my buying habits of what I am looking for.

Are there any quality products for overlays for any titles that aren't made in hard top, or are all of the products on the market poor registration and inaccurate colour? I get that with an overlay you need to clear coat it yourself and one of the benefits of a hard top is that it already includes this protective layer

#1581 8 days ago

Yes! TimeWarp!

Thats awesome. I wonder when they will be ready? I was going to order a Black Knight hardtop but might wait to save on shipping.

#1582 8 days ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Yes! TimeWarp!

Thats awesome. I wonder when they will be ready?

Based on other hints until actual shipping, I say..within a month.

#1583 5 days ago

It would be very nice and helpful to post tear down pictures on Outside Edge's website of the machines you have hardtops for. Maybe include a watermark or something. I'm taking apart a project Pharaoh and there are so many hacks on this thing. It would be nice to know what goes where for real. Hard to find pics on the www.

#1584 4 days ago

I have detailed tear down pics of about 30 different games. Ive always wanted to start a website for them. Its probably over 3000 pics total. If I had a Pharaoh Id help you out.

#1585 2 days ago

I've already posted this in a few groups but I thought this might be a good place to share it too.

Here is a look at my Blackout playfield restore with the Hardtop.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Sale Pending!
Medford, NY
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
There are 1585 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 32.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside