• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 67.
#1501 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Question on the Eight Ball Deluxe hardtop (looks great, BTW....I just laid mine down this afternoon). Is there supposed to be adhesive under the small, narrow clear strip that goes to the outside of the shooter lane? I seem to recall there was on the Mata Hari hardtop I installed last year but there doesn't appear to be on the Eight Ball Deluxe. It'll get secured by the rail set when those are screwed in anyway, just curious.[quoted image]

No ,he did not place adhesive there.

#1502 3 years ago

Evening everyone,

I'm starting my BK install and have both play fields sanded and the jewels polished to 2500 ive seen several post and or videos saying that i should paint black around all the jewels so there is no white wood showing through places that done align correctly my question is should i put a few coats of clear down and then after its cured paint the black and then clear again or just paint and then clear ?

Thanks
Bruce

#1503 3 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

Evening everyone,
I'm starting my BK install and have both play fields sanded and the jewels polished to 2500 ive seen several post and or videos saying that i should paint black around all the jewels so there is no white wood showing through places that done align correctly my question is should i put a few coats of clear down and then after its cured paint the black and then clear again or just paint and then clear ?
Thanks Bruce

FWIW, I've done two hardtops now (Mata Hari and Eight Ball Deluxe) and neither had ANY alignment issues with inserts resulting in bare wood showing. I did put black outlines around some inserts on the first Mata Hari I did and ran into all sorts of bleeding issues...I'm sure it was my inexperience and a lot of people have had success with it, but in the end I sanded all that off, didn't do the outlines, and the inserts still lined up and came out perfect. Same for EBD...I didn't even attempt at putting down black outlines on that one (just did it yesterday!).

I had other alignment issues with holes that didn't line up with the playfield (in fact a lot are way off and in some cases missing altogether) but that's expected and fairly easily correctable provided you can keep your heart rate down while taking a Dremel to your brand new $300 hardtop.

#1505 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

FWIW, I've done two hardtops now (Mata Hari and Eight Ball Deluxe) and neither had ANY alignment issues with inserts resulting in bare wood showing. I did put black outlines around some inserts on the first Mata Hari I did and ran into all sorts of bleeding issues...I'm sure it was my inexperience and a lot of people have had success with it, but in the end I sanded all that off, didn't do the outlines, and the inserts still lined up and came out perfect. Same for EBD...I didn't even attempt at putting down black outlines on that one (just did it yesterday!).
I had other alignment issues with holes that didn't line up with the playfield (in fact a lot are way off and in some cases missing altogether) but that's expected and fairly easily correctable provided you can keep your heart rate down while taking a Dremel to your brand new $300 hardtop.

Thanks for the feedback I'll have to layout the hardtop and see how it looks it would be great to not have to pain black around the jewels .

Bruce

#1506 3 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Alright folks.... I will start a new round thread as well, but as a result of these polls coupled with emailed requests and comments at shows ... Here is the next round. The only wild card is Eight ball Deluxe. I need to confirm rights/permission first.
NEXT UP:
Eight ball Deluxe (pending)
Pinbot
Swords of Fury
Grand Lizard
Blackout
As we grow with titles we will try to do a better job on social media also. We are guilty of being consumed with commercial print work most of the time, and these marketing/communication steps sometimes fall by the wayside when it comes to our beloved pinball efforts.

I can't wait to see the next round of games that will be done once Grand Lizard is finished. I hope Bad Cats makes that list, even if it is another year before it is released.

#1507 3 years ago

Putting the finishing touches on playfield reassembly after installing an EBD hardtop - moving on to cabinet refresh and coin door rebuild next week.

Does anyone know what these holes in the hardtop are for?? I don't have corresponding holes in my playfield, and they're right in the ball path of both in-lanes.

IMG_8306a (resized).jpgIMG_8306a (resized).jpg
#1508 3 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

Evening everyone,
Thanks
Bruce

The hardtop's black outline is slightly smaller than the jewels on the playfield - which gives it some allowance for mis-alignment with your playfield. I played with the alignment on my BK, and between aligning all of the holes and jewels , and did have a couple of inserts that barely showed wood when viewed at an angle (walk around yours). Ultimately, I used a black sharpie in those areas for a localized touchup, although they will likely fade with time (UV).

#1509 3 years ago

6hrs on the road and I destroyed my car making it fit but I'm home now and plotting my next move......

20200525_135815 (resized).jpg20200525_135815 (resized).jpg
#1510 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

6hrs on the road and I destroyed my car making it fit but I'm home now and plotting my next move......
[quoted image]

How fast were you driving?

#1511 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

How fast were you driving?

In the picture? Zero lol
Oic what you did there, High Speed

#1512 3 years ago

There was a siren in my rearview the whole way home

#1513 3 years ago
Quoted from Michel_K17:

The hardtop's black outline is slightly smaller than the jewels on the playfield - which gives it some allowance for mis-alignment with your playfield. I played with the alignment on my BK, and between aligning all of the holes and jewels , and did have a couple of inserts that barely showed wood when viewed at an angle (walk around yours). Ultimately, I used a black sharpie in those areas for a localized touchup, although they will likely fade with time (UV).

Thanks for the information. ran out of clear so waiting on more to arrive, once i clear and it is set i will check alignment and then decide weather to put black outline on or not .

Bruce

#1514 3 years ago

I'm sure this has been asked before regarding the hard tops, but does having the hardtop over the existing playfield effect how to work on plastics, bumpers, etc or change how they operate in gameplay?

I just learned about these hard tops and they are pretty amazing!

#1515 3 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe hardtop owners....do you have these two holes in your hardtop and playfield? These holes are not in my playfield, wondering if this is a hardtop mistake or if my playfield (1984 "Classic" edition) is different than the 1981 original that was used to make the prototype hardtop.

IMG_8306a (resized).jpgIMG_8306a (resized).jpg
#1516 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Eight Ball Deluxe hardtop owners....do you have these two holes in your hardtop and playfield? These holes are not in my playfield, wondering if this is a hardtop mistake or if my playfield (1984 "Classic" edition) is different than the 1981 original that was used to make the prototype hardtop.[quoted image]

Not sure why they are there but there is nothing that you can do at this point. At least the ball won't hit them. If they really bother you, fill them in with something black to hide them a little. On the hardtops website, you can just barely see indents in these two spots, but they are still filled. Maybe they popped out and are still in the shipping packaging and you could pop them back in?

#1517 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Not sure why they are there but there is nothing that you can do at this point. At least the ball won't hit them. If they really bother you, fill them in with something black to hide them a little. On the hardtops website, you can just barely see indents in these two spots, but they are still filled. Maybe they popped out and are still in the shipping packaging and you could pop them back in?

That was a good idea to check the hardtop bag to see if the chads popped out in there, but unfortunately I came up empty. I do plan on filling in those spots with something dark at some point, but I'm hoping to hear from Outside Edge first before I make any mods there. On the plus side, it's not visible from a playing position....only comes into view if you lean forward.

#1519 3 years ago
E8F5AF8E-A1A9-4218-9548-18973D6104A2 (resized).pngE8F5AF8E-A1A9-4218-9548-18973D6104A2 (resized).png
#1520 3 years ago

For anyone considering installing a hardtop or looking for tips on installation, I put together a three part tutorial going over my process. Parts one and two are prep work and part three is the installation and adjustments to the hardtop. I hope this helps.

#1522 3 years ago

I know it's not a super popular title, but I'd give the suggestion of Embryon. As far as I know there's never been any playfield reproductions for it and none of the playfield shops are interested. However, Buthamburg is doing an F-14 playfield.

-Hans

#1523 3 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

[quoted image]

World's biggest coincidence that today is trending as Blackout Tuesday? Unintentional I would hope.

#1524 3 years ago
Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

For anyone considering installing a hardtop or looking for tips on installation, I put together a three part tutorial going over my process. Parts one and two are prep work and part three is the installation and adjustments to the hardtop. I hope this helps.

Very nice job on the videos - great production value as well as content! I've done two hardtop installs so far and I picked up a few tips from your videos that I'll be using on my third install later this summer.

#1525 3 years ago

Will 100% do my F14 when it gets announced. F this bubbling mylar.

#1526 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Will 100% do my F14 when it gets announced. F this bubbling mylar.

Hey KSU, how'd the EBD turn out?

#1527 3 years ago

Diner would be a good candidate for a hardtop. The inserts on that playfield are not always even and do push the ball all over the place. Maybe a good thing for some people but I would rather have the speed of a hardtop surface for the ball.

#1528 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Hey KSU, how'd the EBD turn out?

Still at my friend's house lol. He's fighting the shooter lane bwahahaha

#1529 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Still at my friend's house lol. He's fighting the shooter lane bwahahaha

Damn shooter Lanes, when will we ever learn to just say," f*** it, it's good enough for who it's for" and move on.

#1530 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Damn shooter Lanes, when will we ever learn to just say," f*** it, it's good enough for who it's for" and move on.

Obviously you havent seen my Black Knight. 40yrs worth a black crap has become one with the machine. It's going to take a jack hammer to clean mine out

#1531 3 years ago

Just finishing up my pinbot made a few errors but still pretty nice just need a new plastic set.

Looking forward to doing my blackout, should be a much easier teardown than pinbot

20200602_165337 (resized).jpg20200602_165337 (resized).jpg
#1532 3 years ago

A few random shots of the prototype finally getting finished.

1BCC62C4-1BF0-4862-B262-196D5ED92FCB (resized).jpeg1BCC62C4-1BF0-4862-B262-196D5ED92FCB (resized).jpeg6E76CA90-6DC5-466E-B465-8ECCA58DD9D3 (resized).jpeg6E76CA90-6DC5-466E-B465-8ECCA58DD9D3 (resized).jpeg36894E59-946A-4E20-A964-34947A8DAFB6 (resized).jpeg36894E59-946A-4E20-A964-34947A8DAFB6 (resized).jpeg9CDC2144-EC98-45E3-A593-4E1A1B949EBC (resized).jpeg9CDC2144-EC98-45E3-A593-4E1A1B949EBC (resized).jpegC33FAB57-6262-4732-A246-A1CAB13C950C (resized).jpegC33FAB57-6262-4732-A246-A1CAB13C950C (resized).jpeg1DE7037D-4D46-4BBE-9ECA-950CD91B3BC2 (resized).jpeg1DE7037D-4D46-4BBE-9ECA-950CD91B3BC2 (resized).jpeg096E96DD-21A3-4B3B-8B0A-039DCA76983F (resized).jpeg096E96DD-21A3-4B3B-8B0A-039DCA76983F (resized).jpeg
#1533 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

For as nice as the lane looked in the BEFORE I'm surprised it's fighting him like this. My high speed looked much worse and I somehow fumbled my way to a decent result. Now it's an ego challenge for him.. oops lol

IMG_20200107_160420 (resized).jpgIMG_20200107_160420 (resized).jpgreceived_211879930150217 (resized).jpegreceived_211879930150217 (resized).jpegreceived_230151784946140 (resized).jpegreceived_230151784946140 (resized).jpegreceived_1616685731812495 (resized).jpegreceived_1616685731812495 (resized).jpeg
#1534 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

A few random shots of the prototype finally getting finished.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man, that's some beautiful stuff. Kinda makes me feel bad for not going the extra mile and polishing every last thing when I did high speed. But I finished it, so whatever. I'm honestly a bit surprised I was able to even do that if we're being completely honest.

#1535 3 years ago

...and the next title is...

http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/
big-reptile_orig (resized).jpgbig-reptile_orig (resized).jpg

#1536 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

[quoted image]

Looks like Grand Lizard.

#1537 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

[quoted image]

Horizontal Godzilla!

#1538 3 years ago

Who is this?
I have two F-14's waiting for this hardtop!!

#1539 3 years ago

Nevermind, I researched it. I will wait for a beautiful hardtop. Neither, I or my buddy can afford that price.

#1540 3 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Nevermind, I researched it. I will wait for a beautiful hardtop. Neither, I or my buddy can afford that price.

If I had an F-14 for myself, I'd probably do the same as well.

-Hans

#1541 3 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

If I had an F-14 for myself, I'd probably do the same as well.
-Hans

Agreed. My F14 cab is rough, only a hardtop would make sense from a price perspective. Although my playfield isn't really all that bad..but I haven't pulled up the mylar yet.... Heh

#1542 3 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

The price is insane for an F14. This game needs a hardtop. There were a zillion made. Mine needs one. I even have a whole bag of new arrow inserts in the closet for when it happens.

#1543 3 years ago
Quoted from radium:

The price is insane for an F14. This game needs a hardtop. There were a zillion made. Mine needs one. I even have a whole bag of new arrow inserts in the closet for when it happens.

100% agree. Guess I should buy some arrows, also.

#1544 3 years ago

I would imagine the goal is probably going to be to do most system 11 games and MAYBE the WPC 89 games. After that the pins were clear coated and have much fewer wear issues.

#1545 3 years ago

I still think Cyclone could benefit from one of these...

#1546 3 years ago

I heard back from the pinsider who was testing the hardtop with the extended buttons and he is very happy with the play / testing.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CWVRYK2NF/extended-c-587-6-bally-pinball-rollover-button
extended roll overs 2 (resized).jpegextended roll overs 2 (resized).jpeg

#1547 3 years ago

Just to keep it semi relevant a vote for FIREPOWER 2
even if I knew it was coming at some point

#1548 3 years ago

Sent payment for 3 Hardtops.
Blackout, Black Knight and High Speed.
Now I just need to find a Blackout to replace my old one.
My future votes go to EM games unless Whirldwind becomes available but I was already told by Outside Edge that they do not have the rights to it

#1549 3 years ago

I have been asked by a friend to cast my vote for a Black Hole Hardtop. It's his only game and the Mirco playfield costs a first born child. (Also he'd likely have me do the work and I dont want to do a playfield swap lol)

#1550 3 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:Alright folks.... I will start a new round thread as well, but as a result of these polls coupled with emailed requests and comments at shows ... Here is the next round. The only wild card is Eight ball Deluxe. I need to confirm rights/permission first.
NEXT UP:
Eight ball Deluxe (pending)
Pinbot
Swords of Fury
Grand Lizard
Blackout
As we grow with titles we will try to do a better job on social media also. We are guilty of being consumed with commercial print work most of the time, and these marketing/communication steps sometimes fall by the wayside when it comes to our beloved pinball efforts.

Can we get a next batch update soon? This batch will be all cleared up once Grand Lizard is ready. Maybe we will see some surprises that arent in the poll?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/31?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.