• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 67.
#1201 4 years ago

And sometimes, not having the Hardtop as soon as you would have wanted works in your favor.

I had picked up a Blackout that was a great candidate for a Hardtop, and earlier indications were that is wasn't going to be all that long before we'd see them. I'd have gotten one ASAP. Gave me the chance to put in a lot of time playing it which made me realize it was never going to be a keeper for me.

Moved it along for a decent price and saved myself some $$ and effort.

#1202 4 years ago

I coming to this party late and I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere in this thread already, so please excuse. I'm considering getting one for my Future Spa. As with most older games, most of my inserts have cupping issues, during the prep work, do you have to level them before you put down the hardtop?

#1203 4 years ago

I see a lot of people mentioning F14 - But don't see it in the poll. Has there ever been any indication that F14 will ever be made, since there are repro playfields available?

My problem is that my F14 is just in too bad shape for a new playfield. It's just not economically viable. But a Hardtop could be a great solution.

#1204 4 years ago

yatch11 no need to deal with cupping inserts. Now, raised inserts are a different story.

#1205 4 years ago
Quoted from yatch11:

I coming to this party late and I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere in this thread already, so please excuse. I'm considering getting one for my Future Spa. As with most older games, most of my inserts have cupping issues, during the prep work, do you have to level them before you put down the hardtop?

The long-term verdict is still out on this. The hardtop is sturdy enough that it will be flat even over cupped inserts. So most say you don't need to level them. But what might happen over time? With 10 or 20 years of heat cycles and continual gravity, it's possible that the hardtop might start to depress down into the cupped insert. Also, there's an air gap that is either going to be expanding/contracting based on temperature, or possibly breathing (pulling in air and therefore moisture from under the playfield) if there is any tiny gap around the edge of the insert. The latter could cause the insert to start to look cloudy.

#1206 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

yatch11 no need to deal with cupping inserts. Now, raised inserts are a different story.

Thanks, appreciate it

#1207 4 years ago
Quoted from yendor0:

The long-term verdict is still out on this. The hardtop is sturdy enough that it will be flat even over cupped inserts. So most say you don't need to level them. But what might happen over time? With 10 or 20 years of heat cycles and continual gravity, it's possible that the hardtop might start to depress down into the cupped insert. Also, there's an air gap that is either going to be expanding/contracting based on temperature, or possibly breathing (pulling in air and therefore moisture from under the playfield) if there is any tiny gap around the edge of the insert. The latter could cause the insert to start to look cloudy.

Good info to think about, thanks a lot

#1208 4 years ago
Quoted from yatch11:

You could even replace the cupped inserts with new ones. Though, you need to measure to get the correct size as they are not matched up with the games, but at least they are available to purchase.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=inserts

#1209 4 years ago

Have to sand the playfield anyhow. I'd think that would mostly resolve cupped inserts.

#1210 4 years ago

I wouldn’t worry much about the gap, even perfectly flat inserts are going to have a slight gap since there no adhesive on the inserts.

I am debating replacing inserts that have fractures in them but new ones would probably eventually show some anyway.

#1211 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Have to sand the playfield anyhow. I'd think that would mostly resolve cupped inserts.

I had the same ideas as well. It probably wouldn't get it totally smoothed out but would definitely help it though. Unfortunately, I have to put this playfield project on hold. It has since crapped the bed on me and have to figure out this electrical issue I'm having, ugh. lol

#1212 4 years ago

Just think out loud. Is there any way of filling the cupped inserts with some kind of clear resin? If that were possible, they would sand flat perfect to the playfield. Might be worth investigating.

#1213 4 years ago

I think your missing the reason for hardtoping a game . It’s a simple permanent solution to playfield repair . No need to complicate things .

#1214 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I think your missing the reason for hardtoping a game . It’s a simple permanent solution to playfield repair . No need to complicate things .

Well said!

#1215 4 years ago

Do these run out of stock? I am planning on picking up a game very soon with the intent of getting the hardtop for it. I don't want to jinx it though

#1216 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Just think out loud. Is there any way of filling the cupped inserts with some kind of clear resin? If that were possible, they would sand flat perfect to the playfield. Might be worth investigating.

You can fill the cupped insert with clear or even self-leveling supper glue.

Quoted from freddy:

You still want it to look nice down the road. I wouldn't trust putting a hardtop on a game with cupped inserts. It might be sturdy but I'm 99% sure it will depress over time. If someone already has the playfield this far stripped down why not take a little extra time to either replace the inserts or fill and level them? Do it right the first time, not the second time.

#1217 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

It's also irreversible by design, so if your inserts aren't up to snuff, there's nothing that can be done short of replacing the entire playfield. It's worthy of consideration.

#1218 4 years ago

I have an EK hardtop to be installed (eventually), and having handled this thing I can't imagine it "sagging" into a cupped insert, even over time.

#1219 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I have an EK hardtop to be installed (eventually), and having handled this thing I can't imagine it "sagging" into a cupped insert, even over time.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#1220 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

This ^^^

Some serious overthinking going on here. The hardtop is a flat hard sheet of PETG plastic. Permanently secured & lies flat. It is not going to "sag" or "sink" in spots over cupped inserts. It's the least of your worries. The bigger concern is getting debris trapped over an insert during the install, having it misaligned after its secured, or looking at cracked inserts that you were too lazy to replace before installing the hardtop.

A hardtop is a simple restoration alternative for those of us who don't want (or have the skills) to go through the laborious process of doing an entire playfield swap & difficult touchups, clear coating or repairs to an original playfield.

#1221 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I dont think I am missing the reason at all. I just installed a BK HT and the product is phenominal. Of course Idid not have to deal with sunken inserts.

So are you certain there would not be any moisture or fogging with that slight air gap from a sunken insert, or maybe a slightly unatural visual or lighting effect due to the air gap?

I am not convinced that this could happen at all. I dont believe that the HT would sag or anything like that. Its just worth considering ahead of time because if there is a weird issue, the HT aint coming up in order to address it.

I doubt I will ever be doing an old PF with sunken inserts. But if there were a sure fire way to level them out the right way. I would do it in a heartbeat as to avoid any what-ifs down the road.

#1222 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

I dont think I am missing the reason at all. I just installed a BK HT and the product is phenominal. Of course Idid not have to deal with sunken inserts.
So are you certain there would not be any moisture or fogging with that slight air gap from a sunken insert, or maybe a slightly unatural visual or lighting effect due to the air gap?
I am not convinced that this could happen at all. I dont believe that the HT would sag or anything like that. Its just worth considering ahead of time because if there is a weird issue, the HT aint coming up in order to address it.
I doubt I will ever be doing an old PF with sunken inserts. But if there were a sure fire way to level them out the right way. I would do it in a heartbeat as to avoid any what-ifs down the road.

The other thing I would be concerned with down the road is with even the slightest give in that area the hardtop could eventually wear the same spot most playfields wear from sunken or cupped insets. Or leave a depression at the edge of the insert. Probably won’t happen on a game being played in the home but would think it’s possible. Man I just can’t see doing all the work to install one of these and not address a minor issue.

#1223 4 years ago
Quoted from yatch11:

You can get a pretty good preview by laying the hardtop on your playfield. If it looks fine with the cupped inserts and you don't want to overthink things, then just install it.

I decided to replace most inserts on my firepower and am glad I did so. Replacing them is pretty low risk as you don't have to worry about damaging the art -- you will sand everything anyways and the hardtop replaces all the art. I documented my installation here

#1225 4 years ago

The grand lizard one is really going to make an impact. So many of these have trashed playfields

#1226 4 years ago

Finished my High Speed, including Freeplay40 clear ramp.
It looks great!
Fit was very, very good. Dremelling out the star rollover holes was nerve wracking, but very do-able.
Just need to fine tune a few switches and play a few games.

20200114_200941 (resized).jpg20200114_200941 (resized).jpg
#1227 4 years ago

Comet certainly looks beautiful with a hard top.
IMG_20200114_191620 (resized).jpgIMG_20200114_191620 (resized).jpg

#1228 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Comet certainly looks beautiful with a hard top.
[quoted image]

Hard to go wrong with a mirror-like finish, looks amazing!

#1229 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

The grand lizard one is really going to make an impact. So many of these have trashed playfields

Mine definitely does. Can't wait for that hardtop to come out.

#1230 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

It looks great!
Fit was very, very good. Dremelling out the star rollover holes was nerve wracking, but very do-able.
Just need to fine tune a few switches and play a few games.[quoted image]

Man, that looks great.

#1231 4 years ago

Any of you guy considering bringing your beauties to the "HardTop Homecoming" at PinBrew in April?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outside-edge-to-host-hardtop-homecoming-at-pinbrew-2020

#1232 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

It looks great!
Just need to fine tune a few switches and play a few games.[quoted image]

Looks awesome!!!

#1233 4 years ago

Firepower II. All the ones I've seen have horrible wear including mine. Must have been the paint or process on them. Even though the number of machines made is below 10k, a BUNCH of them need help

#1234 4 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

I see a lot of people mentioning F14 - But don't see it in the poll. Has there ever been any indication that F14 will ever be made, since there are repro playfields available?

My problem is that my F14 is just in too bad shape for a new playfield. It's just not economically viable. But a Hardtop could be a great solution.

I also see a lot of people mentioning F14 - but since repro fields are available.

Of course I hope that something will come, but as it looks so far nothing is planned for the F14.

#1235 4 years ago

Doing hardtop install today. Just noticed a couple things...

There’s no adhesive on the thin strip in the shooter lane. Is this a change on newly manufactured hardtops? Because all the videos I’ve seen have adhesive there. The wood side rails will keep it secured I guess, but I’d be happier if the adhesive was there.

Also noticed that the shoot lane cutout is shorter and the actual groove. I was expecting some difference, but I wasn’t expecting the cutout to be half the length of the grove. Looks funny to me.

Are these normal issues?

A601E721-AF31-42DB-ABF6-A16C407B22FC (resized).jpegA601E721-AF31-42DB-ABF6-A16C407B22FC (resized).jpeg680FD023-E047-47D8-93FE-DA879A6585D7 (resized).jpeg680FD023-E047-47D8-93FE-DA879A6585D7 (resized).jpeg
#1236 4 years ago

No need for adhesive there. It goes completely under the rail.

Is your groove extra super long?

#1237 4 years ago

It must be longer than usual. I could cut the plactic but it would probably come out looking like garbage

#1238 4 years ago

The prototype wasn't like that. You're shooter groove must be longer. (?)

#1239 4 years ago

Your shooter lane looks extra deep too like someone routed or sanded it out for a previous resto attempt.

#1240 4 years ago

Not likely with this particular game's history. Long shooter groove probably just a manufacturing variance. Who knows. I'm not worried about it. Debated cutting the plastic, but one slip of the knife could have made look even worse. Then I'd be obsessing that I didn't cut the plastic correctly. I just installed the hardtop as is.

The fact there was no adhesive on the thin strip is an advantage now. If dirty gets under the groove, the side rail can be unscrewed (no more staples), and that flap can be easily lifted, blasted away with airhose underneath & wiped with novus q-tip.

That said the playfield looks fantastic now. Very thrilling pulling off the protective sheet & seeing the vibrant colors/shine for the first time. Very satisfied with this product

#1241 4 years ago

Outside Edge shared this on Facebook - not sure why they haven't here yet. Check out what is next....

82432193_1175518992645783_4731782787311337472_n (resized).jpg82432193_1175518992645783_4731782787311337472_n (resized).jpg
#1242 4 years ago

Up for sale now? Or just the announcement? If the later they did tell us pinbot was next.

#1243 4 years ago
Quoted from Apex:

Up for sale now? Or just the announcement? If the later they did tell us pinbot was next.

Swords of Fury playfield in the background.

#1244 4 years ago

Ok missed that from the previous post.

#1245 4 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

Swords of Fury playfield in the background.

"Coming soon to a Pinbot near you! Just working on color and alignment. Won’t be long and we will be swinging a sword toward our next title."

I'd say Swords of Fury might be next...

#1246 4 years ago

Pinbot is now live folks!

Please allow 7 to 10 days for shipping as we ramp up.
Www.outsideedgeproducts.com

Happy restoring!

Onto our next one! WEEEEEE!
5A28A8B2-5863-4D90-9CBB-BD0034B7F5D0 (resized).jpeg5A28A8B2-5863-4D90-9CBB-BD0034B7F5D0 (resized).jpeg

#1247 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Happy restoring!
[quoted image]

Beauty!

I need two of the SoF please (yes I will watch for the shipping availability but I need 2)

#1248 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Happy restoring!
[quoted image]

Woo hoo! Just got my order in!

#1249 4 years ago

I sold my Pinbot too soon.

#1250 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I sold my Pinbot too soon.

= you saved yourself some work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/25?hl=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.