• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 67.
#951 4 years ago

I don't think it is part of the instructions, but I saw a youtube vid and the guy brushed a band of black around all inserts just in case of any alignment issues, you wouldn't see bare wood.

#952 4 years ago

You have homework, just finished my hardtop, still working the PF as I'm doing a 100% remove and replace of top and underside. Also sent you a PM

Quoted from wrd1972:

Can someone please give the process to sand the playfield in preparation for a hardtop? I currently have my BK main PF stripped and ready to sand. What sandpaper grits? Does all artwork need to be stripped? Should the bare PF be clearcoated?

#953 4 years ago

Strikes and spares

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I don't think it is part of the instructions, but I saw a youtube vid and the guy brushed a band of black around all inserts just in case of any alignment issues, you wouldn't see bare wood.

I did this for a small number (3, maybe) of inserts. Just used a Sharpie, actually.

Re-emphases the most important point: Take your time with the alignment process. You will have to make some compromises, but if you find you're having to "cheat" too much, pull the thing off and give it another go. I spent at least 10 minutes trying different positions before I came to a final decision.

#955 4 years ago

We are reading through all the recent posts, and creative and smart approaches to installing our product... so happy and proud to be a part of breathing air back into soooo many machines... affordably!!

We are getting ready to open a can of whoop ass on new titles... be patient for now. We are coming with more in a bigger way.

You all are awesome!

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

We are getting ready to open a can of whoop ass on new titles... be patient for now. We are coming with more in a bigger way.

2019-10-04 23_11_29-giddy up meme - - Image Search Results (resized).png2019-10-04 23_11_29-giddy up meme - - Image Search Results (resized).png

#957 4 years ago

Solar Fire please

#958 4 years ago

Pinbot Soon please mine needs it badly

#959 4 years ago

Watching this thread to see when you guys are up and running again. Will determine which pin I buy for my next project! Looking forward to seeing what new Hardtops your are going to make!

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

You all are awesome!

Actually y'all are pretty awesome too. Making these old workhorses beautiful again is a commendable effort. For us that like to restore them, your product saves us time and money and does a great job of bulletproofing the PF for the foreseeable future.

Yopp.

#961 4 years ago

I see that Skypilot is looking for an F-14 and Pinbot.... Hint at the next hard tops? One can only hope!

#962 4 years ago

As much as I want to whine and beg for eight ball deluxe to be next, I've stalled on getting traction with my high speed so I'm in no position to start on EBD right now anyway. I'm pretty confident it'll happen eventually... And I can't wait. It plays like crap as-is!

#963 4 years ago

That would be flipping sweeeeet! Finally F-14,I have been waiting patiently for this one as I have a completely torn down PF.

#964 4 years ago

Hi All,
An update on what we have in stock (and not). If you would like to order, just PM us with title, name, address and email address to PAYPAL

Most of these ... we have a few only.

IN STOCK:
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Wizard
Evel K.
Firepower
Taxi (both)
Future Spa
Pharaoh
Mata Hari

More coming soon:
Comet, Black Knight, Frontier

Next new title: EBD (timing.. December)

We are coming to Expo next week, but NOT exhibiting. We can bring a title with us to save you shipping if you like. Just PM us if interested.

#965 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All,
An update on what we have in stock (and not). If you would like to order, just PM us with title, name, address and email address to PAYPAL
IN STOCK:
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Wizard
Evel K.
Firepower
Taxi (both)
Future Spa
Pharaoh
Mata Hari
More coming soon:
We are coming to Expo next week, but NOT exhibiting. We can bring a title with us to save you shipping if you like. Just PM us if interested.

No Blackout? Expo is ruined. Turn the car around lol.
I can wait.

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All,
IN STOCK:
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Wizard
Evel K.
Firepower
Taxi (both)
Future Spa
Pharaoh
Mata Hari
More coming soon:

Welp, looks like my rainy day fund for December is spent!

#967 4 years ago

Thank you so much for doing EBD!

#968 4 years ago

Thanx in advance from me too for EBD!! Here's hoping it's the early part of December, in time to get it in my hands for a nice project over my Christmas break.

#969 4 years ago

If I ever get around to restoring my second Firepower I'm going to hardtop the crap out of that thing. Meanwhile I patiently await any word on Supersonic (I made the mistake of putting a vinyl overlay on it. Bubble city!)

PS- if you need someone to redraw SS, it's so simple I can do it with crayon and Sharpie- no problem...

#970 4 years ago

Okay I am seeing where some folks are clear-coating the PF prior to laying the hardtop, and some folks are not (TNT). So I am thinking to myself whats the benefit of the clear-coat?

Is it used to "fill-in" the top surface of the lighting inserts after sanding...kind of like "polishing" them out? Or is it used to promote better adhesion for the hardtop? Other?

Thoughts on clear-coating the sanded wood surface or not?

#971 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Okay I am seeing where some folks are clear-coating the PF prior to laying the hardtop, and some folks are not (TNT). So I am thinking to myself whats the benefit of the clear-coat?
Is it used to "fill-in" the top surface of the lighting inserts after sanding...kind of like "polishing" them out? Or is it used to promote better adhesion for the hardtop? Other?

I think it's a bit of both, but I opted not to clear mine. I was concerned that the inserts would ghost or I end up with my own version of #cleargate going on under there. So, I wet sanded (1000, then 3000) followed by a Novus 3-2-1 pass on each insert - sometimes twice. Was definitely alot of work, but I'm happy with the result.

#972 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

I think it's a bit of both, but I opted not to clear mine. I was concerned that the inserts would ghost or I end up with my own version of #cleargate going on under there. So, I wet sanded (1000, then 3000) followed by a Novus 3-2-1 pass on each insert - sometimes twice. Was definitely alot of work, but I'm happy with the result.

Just curious, did you sand the entire PF or just the inserts?

#973 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All,
IN STOCK:
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Wizard
Evel K.
Firepower
Taxi (both)
Future Spa
Pharaoh
Mata Hari
More coming soon:
We are coming to Expo next week, but NOT exhibiting. We can bring a title with us to save you shipping if you like. Just PM us if
interested.

WTF???? What happened to Swords Of Fury?? That was supposed to be done last year.....Uggh!!!!!!!

1_head_shake_grande (resized).png1_head_shake_grande (resized).png
#974 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Heres the 411. The inserts need to be crystal clear. You have two choices:
1. Sand them down to a 2000 to 3000 grit( basically polish them).
2. Sand them down to +/- 300 grit and spray a clear over them to accomplish the same effect.

Keep in mind on most titles the shooter lane is seen, so sanding and clearing it at the same time makes it look newer also.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#975 4 years ago

You guys are killing me by putting SoF on the back burner. sigh. I have two SoF ready to go!

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Just curious, did you sand the entire PF or just the inserts?

On High Speed, there's so many inserts I just opted to sand the whole thing. I figured why not have a consistent surface for the Hardtop to stick to.

Here's an album of the whole process: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNVnePAk_W7FHlo44TbOGpDCI_wPIfd8x4aRgfONlWm84Le4MFvYyi3kHXT3UTQ?key=YzFNcGtfMHdzcVc3NXc3cHpZdjR0bWk0UVNPTm5R

#977 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

On High Speed, there's so many inserts I just opted to sand the whole thing. I figured why not have a consistent surface for the Hardtop to stick to.
Here's an album of the whole process: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNVnePAk_W7FHlo44TbOGpDCI_wPIfd8x4aRgfONlWm84Le4MFvYyi3kHXT3UTQ?key=YzFNcGtfMHdzcVc3NXc3cHpZdjR0bWk0UVNPTm5R

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. Part of me wants to... Not. But I'm going to take it all the way down like I'm supposed to.

Thanks for the gallery! I love looking through these. Makes me feel just a little less horrified as I do mine.

#978 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Thanks for the gallery! I love looking through these. Makes me feel just a little less horrified as I do mine.

No problem. Trying to give back to the community somehow.

Best of luck with your install!

#979 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi All,
IN STOCK:
High Speed
Space Shuttle
Wizard
Evel K.
Firepower
Taxi (both)
Future Spa
Pharaoh
Mata Hari
More coming soon:

When is Blackout supposed to happen? I thought it was supposed to be "late 2019"...

#980 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

When is Blackout supposed to happen? I thought it was supposed to be "late 2019"...

It is only October.

#981 4 years ago

Just got finished sanding my BK playfield down to 400 grit with a DA sander. The inserts are sanded to 800 grit but I am going to go even finer. So far so good.

I am also planning on black Sharpy-ing around the inserts because I dont want to chance there being a bit of bare wood showing when it should not when the hardtop goes on. But what clear-coat should I use specifically that wont impact the black Sharpy? If I can get away with a rattle-can...then cool. I also have a cup-gun I can use if need be.

Maybe this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-11-5-fl-oz-Gloss-Oil-based-Polyurethane/999913663

#982 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Just got finished sanding my BK playfield down to 400 grit with a DA sander. The inserts are sanded to 800 grit but I am going to go even finer. So far so good.
I am also planning on black Sharpy-ing around the inserts because I dont want to chance there being a bit of bare wood showing when it should not when the hardtop goes on. But what clear-coat should I use specifically that wont impact the black Sharpy? If I can get away with a rattle-can...then cool. I also have a cup-gun I can use if need be.
Maybe this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Minwax-11-5-fl-oz-Gloss-Oil-based-Polyurethane/999913663

I would just use some black Createx and a fine brush so you dont have to accommodate a sharpie. Ink is going to be bad news.

#983 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I would just use some black Createx and a fine brush so you dont have to accommodate a sharpie. Ink is going to be bad news.

Indeed, ink is bad news, and I know this from experience. Here's a picture of what was a solid ink traces around the inserts after applying clear (and cleaning up the ink bleed off the inserts themselves). Fortunately, the MH insert lineup on my playfield was perfect....no wood showing through, and I didn't have to go thru the ink/clear/smear/clean-up process a few times before giving up on that!

Insert and Clear.jpgInsert and Clear.jpg
#984 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Maybe this:

Use a Molotow paint pen.

https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-One4All-Acrylic-Paint-Markers/dp/B0044CZ0WS

#985 4 years ago

Ahh okay. Just ordered the paint pen. First time I have seen an acrylic type.

#986 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Maybe this:

For the experts: Is there any point to sanding the inserts super fine and then clearing over them like this poster is planning? I thought the logic was to sand with coarser grit (500g) so the clear has something to grip to, then the final clear will be super smooth. Will cleaning over inserts that have been sanded that fine (2000g) cause lifting issues later?

#987 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

You guys are killing me by putting SoF on the back burner. sigh. I have two SoF ready to go!

I have two sitting here as well... waiting.

#988 4 years ago

If you go and read Vid's guide on playfield restoration he clearly tells you that the clear needs some tooth to adhere properly. So I would never sand those inserts that smooth and then clear coat them!

#989 4 years ago

Centaur?

#990 4 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Strikes and spares

Yes please!

#991 4 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

For the experts: Is there any point to sanding the inserts super fine and then clearing over them like this poster is planning? I thought the logic was to sand with coarser grit (500g) so the clear has something to grip to, then the final clear will be super smooth. Will cleaning over inserts that have been sanded that fine (2000g) cause lifting issues later?

I agree with you. I would not go super-fine on the wood if there is going to be clear applied. Save that for after the clear.

#992 4 years ago

Want one too!

#993 4 years ago

Got a chance to play the Bally Wizard at Expo this week, and I was pleased with the feel of the game.
It did not have that "floaty" feeling that you get with other types of overlay products. Played very "naturally" IMO.

Hopefully they can do a Captain Fantastic some day.

#994 4 years ago

I was amazed how well high speed played at expo with a hardtop. One of my concerns was scratching, but I couldn’t see any. Maybe some fine light ones but no more than you would see on a traditional surface. I was very impressed. Played fast and clean but not ridiculously different. I’m impressed.

#995 4 years ago

Most Firepower II playfields are worn. Might be a great fit for the hardtop product!

#996 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Most Firepower II playfields are worn. Might be a great fit for the hardtop product!

#997 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

If you go and read Vid's guide on playfield restoration he clearly tells you that the clear needs some tooth to adhere properly. So I would never sand those inserts that smooth and then clear coat them!

Hi A quick reminder that there is actually no adhesive over any inserts at all. There should be no concern over not providing tooth, as the Hardtop is clear (except printed copy) and no adhesive over inserts. More reasons why a Hardtop will look great for a long time.

There is no reliable way to provide a non cloudy, optically clear adhesive that will stay that way for years. (We all know how bad lifting mylars look over inserts... it would potentially cause the same problem eventually because inserts MOVE) We eliminate the potential issues by not trying to in the first place.

Cheers!

#998 4 years ago

I know it won't get much love from some, but I would happily buy a Hardtop for my poor trashed Gorgar.

I imagine many folks have one and might get more enjoyment having a fresh PF surface to play on. I've bought Cyclone and Addams Family repro playfields from CPR, but I have a hard time justifying $700+ for a new playfield and the swap for a $900 machine I still enjoy. I'm betting there are others who would gladly pony up $300 to have a new playfield surface to enjoy their games for many years to come without the playfield swap and cost. Planning on putting a hardtop on my badly worn planked Comet when available.

Gorgar, please?

#999 4 years ago

KISS, but no doubt with Gene involved, it would triple the regular price.

#1000 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hi A quick reminder that there is actually no adhesive over any inserts at all. There should be no concern over not providing tooth, as the Hardtop is clear (except printed copy) and no adhesive over inserts. More reasons why a Hardtop will look great for a long time.

To clarify, the conversation here was about preparing the inserts for clear coat prior to installing the hardtop. An earlier poster was discussing their plan to polish the inserts with high grit sandpaper and then clear it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
$ 4,600.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/20?hl=torre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.