• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 51 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1308 votes by 788 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3322 (resized).jpg
391735939_806303518171699_5751947203509962681_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4605 (resized).jpeg
FP2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 67.
#901 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

After all this clear coat stuff I looked at my HUO Star Trek Pro Vault last night and sure enough I have whatever you want to call it Pooling, lifting around posts less than 800 plays and a playfield protector on since day 1.

That sucks. I have some of this with my NIB POTC LE. I hate to say it but I think that I'm out with NIB pins until this gets fixed.

Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

If it was a major company selling pins and I had issues they could just send me another Hardtop would be less than a few days work for the average pinhead to pull the top side off and replace it.

I agree about interest in seeing a new pin release with a Hardtop but doubt that the average pinhead could pull it off and replace it. I think that this would need R&D to be an acceptable approach. How is the top of the playfield finished before the Hardtop is applied (from the factory)? Who's to say that in trying to pull back the old one that it doesn't tear up the plywood? Is there an adhesive residue left behind, if so that will all have to come off to ensure a smooth application. I'm in full support of HT, the product is genius, but no one knows what this will look and play like in years to come. We certainly don't want to see issue with the adhesive, letting go in large or small areas for instance.

Regardless, if there are sufficient issues with a PF, it should be replaced. All of these 'new wave' issues, pardon the pun, with their clear coat won't sit well for home buyers. It will affect sales.

#902 4 years ago

The new Tokyo Perfect Drift machine out of Spain uses a Hardtop type playfield....

http://www.quetzalpinball.com

It's not new for Spanish pinball. Spinball was doing it in the 90s and the playfields still look great. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the news companies in the US went that direction.

#903 4 years ago

I wasn’t complaining. I was just making a simple suggestion that they should have an automated mailing list on their website.

Hardtop you want out of stock? Fine. Would the customer like an email when the part arrives back in stock? Yes.

Simple as that. Customer get notified & doesn’t have to hassle the company with emails or deal with Pinside. And the company gets an list of buyers emails so they know how many of the item they might need to produce. Win/win

Patiently waiting. You guys rock

#904 4 years ago

Keep calm.

#905 4 years ago

Well, that worked.

1 week later
#906 4 years ago

How about a Spanish Eyes Hardtop?

#907 4 years ago

how about a JOKERZ hardtop.

#908 4 years ago

Blackout above all others

#909 4 years ago

Elektra? At least the upper and basement playfields...

#911 4 years ago

Hello All! We have trickled a few High Speeds out, and a handful of others over the summer. We are getting closer to resuming official sales on our site. (I hope 3 weeks from now). I did want to let all know that we will have a few of the following titles in the next week or so. PM me if you would like to order. Since we only have a few for a bit, we will wait until normal supply is up before turning on the automated order site @ pinballgifts.com

Available as a single complete unit or in some instances 3 of them:
Normal Space Shuttle
NON Hot Dog Space Shuttle
Comet
Evel K.
Future Spa
High Speed
Taxi Lola
Taxi Marylin
Black Knight
Firepower
Pharoah

NONE: Wizard!, Frontier, Mata Hari.... but working on it.

Yes, more titles coming... but we will not make announcements until it is ready to ship. (or maybe when final proto is going on)

Thanks!

#912 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Hello All! We have trickled a few High Speeds out, and a handful of others over the summer. We are getting closer to resuming official sales on our site. (I hope 3 weeks from now). I did want to let all know that we will have a few of the following titles in the next week or so. PM me if you would like to order. Since we only have a few for a bit, we will wait until normal supply is up before turning on the automated order site @ pinballgifts.com
Normal Space Shuttle
Comet
Evel K.
Future Spa
High Speed
Taxi Lola
Taxi Marylin
Black Knight
Firepower
Pharoah
Yes, more titles coming... but we will not make announcements until it is ready to ship. (or maybe when final proto is going on)
Thanks!

Awesome. I really hope Blackout makes the cut

#913 4 years ago

Still hoping for Solar Fire!

#914 4 years ago

Great! Can't wait for Swords of Fury & Pinbot!

#915 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Great! Can wait for Swords of Fury & Pinbot!

I could really use a pinbot too! Fingers crossed!

#916 4 years ago

After playing my new hardtopped SS I'm more convinced than ever that my high speed (and someday my EBD) need similar treatment. Will be my first attempt doing one of these..

IMG_20190901_155843 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_155843 (resized).jpg
#917 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

Normal Space Shuttle
Comet
Evel K.
Future Spa
High Speed
Taxi Lola
Taxi Marylin
Black Knight
Firepower
Pharoah
Thanks!

Sweet! I've been waiting to order my Space Shuttle. I literally went to the site to order it the same day sales were ceased.

#918 4 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

PM me if you would like to order.

Black Knight

PM sent regarding a hard top for BK.

-Kasey

#920 4 years ago

Skypilot how did you get your inserts so clear? Every photo I see them installed with the power off you can see the plastic over the inserts. Even the people spent the time to clear coat their playfield as well. Is your photos with flash?

#921 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Great! Can't wait for Swords of Fury...

Yes please... pretty please!

#922 4 years ago

Hi All! We have sold out of many of the titles for a short time. We will have more done soon. We also plan on being at Expo... but NOT exhibiting this year. We will be happy to pre sell anything we can prior to the show and deliver there to save you shipping. I will post soon what we will have ready.

HERE IS WHAT WE HAVE IN STOCK NOW:
Evel Knievel
Space Shuttle ONLY non hot dog (traditional is temporarily sold out)
Future Spa
Pharoah
Taxi Marilyn

More to come soon... and yes, we read your wish lists

1 week later
#923 4 years ago

Not sure if it has been requested, but I vote for Harlem Globetrotters. New PF is too rich for my blood. You guys are doing great work. Bally Star Trek is another that is always blown out.

#924 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

We are currently working with Planetary Pinball exclusively, so only Bally /Williams machines can be added at this time.

My Mousin' Around is trashed and it is the only game my wife willingly plays on her own. Sure wish it was nicer to look at.

#925 4 years ago

F-14 F-14 F-14 F-14 F-14 F-14 F-14 PLEASE!!

#926 4 years ago

Howdy fellow pinball heads!

We have a few more Shuttles finished, and a few more High Speed ready. Also, may have a Black Knight or 2 not spoken for as well as Firepower. PM us if interested! Plus the titles listed above... although we are finishing more EK this week.

For a while yet we will continue to trickle these out, but soon it will be muuuchhh better supply. Yes, more titles too.

Lastly, if you would like to purchase and you are going to Expo, we can deliver there if you PM us and we have them available. Save shipping!

#927 4 years ago

Getting back in action, yes!

#928 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes Please

#929 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Give the man his F-14! He deserves a free one for all he does helping out around here.

#931 4 years ago

solar fire please

#932 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Give the man his F-14! He deserves a free one for all he does helping out around here.

I agree! And will take two of these please!

#933 4 years ago

BLACKOUT PLEASE.

#934 4 years ago

Firepower II. Many are worn to bare wood, and no NOS or repro playfields available.

#935 4 years ago

Please do Grand Lizard.

#936 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Stellar wars too.

I've restored several Stellar Wars... I have all the scans. If I can be of help, please let me know.

I don't speak for hard top, however I doubt with as few as there are out there, they would do it.

#937 4 years ago

PM sent earlier on BK, however

I'd get a BK and a HS right now if you have.

#938 4 years ago
Quoted from bombpop:

Please do Grand Lizard.

They said at one point that they were planning to do Grand Lizard as part of their next batch of Hardtops. I hope that pans out, my upper playfield looks awful.

#939 4 years ago

Even though I already PM'd. I need a BK as well.

#940 4 years ago

Can someone please give the process to sand the playfield in preparation for a hardtop? I currently have my BK main PF stripped and ready to sand. What sandpaper grits? Does all artwork need to be stripped? Should the bare PF be clearcoated?

#941 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Can someone please give the process to sand the playfield in preparation for a hardtop? I currently have my BK main PF stripped and ready to sand. What sandpaper grits? Does all artwork need to be stripped? Should the bare PF be clearcoated?

I am finishing my install - there are directions with the hardtop in the box. There are users who did it including Vid1900 and did a step by step on a Comet I believe....but quickly....

Sand all the inserts is what is required - but you will find like I did that in the end it left so few places unsanded you might as well do it all.

Starts with a heavy grit - says 80 I believe in the directions, but I used 60-80-100....more grits in between....in the end using 800 grit. I sanded it smooth and more smooth then needed per the directions and cleared the whole playfield again when only the inserts were needed to be cleared but I did not do it like I was clearing a whole playfield. I took care around inserts made sure everything was level no raised inserts etc.

You only need to clear inserts and the shooter lane technically. But, what are you going to do with a half can of clear that is basically garbage after that....I used 2 part clear in a rattle can, again overkill but it dries and sets faster, looks better.

Honestly - the only thing you can screw up is not sanding flat and not making sure your inserts are leveled. Sanding to a very fine grit make the inserts look better when you lay the hardtop on it in my opinion but 800 grit or 1000 is likely overkill, the clear covers it and makes them shine enough.

I love how mine turned out - you can see some pics i nthe High Speed hardtop form on Pinside.

#942 4 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I am finishing my install - there are directions with the hardtop in the box. There are users who did it including Vid1900 and did a step by step on a Comet I believe....but quickly....
Sand all the inserts is what is required - but you will find like I did that in the end it left so few places unsanded you might as well do it all.
Starts with a heavy grit - says 80 I believe in the directions, but I used 60-80-100....more grits in between....in the end using 800 grit. I sanded it smooth and more smooth then needed per the directions and cleared the whole playfield again when only the inserts were needed to be cleared but I did not do it like I was clearing a whole playfield. I took care around inserts made sure everything was level no raised inserts etc.
You only need to clear inserts and the shooter lane technically. But, what are you going to do with a half can of clear that is basically garbage after that....I used 2 part clear in a rattle can, again overkill but it dries and sets faster, looks better.
Honestly - the only thing you can screw up is not sanding flat and not making sure your inserts are leveled. Sanding to a very fine grit make the inserts look better when you lay the hardtop on it in my opinion but 800 grit or 1000 is likely overkill, the clear covers it and makes them shine enough.
I love how mine turned out - you can see some pics i nthe High Speed hardtop form on Pinside.

What type of sander? Palm, orbitol, sanding block? Neighbor has a nice Festool setup so will probabky use that, but just wondering.

#943 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

What type of sander? Palm, orbitol, sanding block? Neighbor has a nice Festool setup so will probabky use that, but just wondering.

I used an orbital sander to prep for my Mata Hari hardtop. Went 80-120-240-800 on the playfield and up to 1200 on the inserts. I did not remove all artwork - only the artwork on the inserts and immediately surrounding the inserts. I made sure none of the inserts were raised and didn't care about the few that were cupped knowing the hardtop would hide that. I used rattle can clear on the inserts and kickout hole in the top center of the playfield. I used polyurethane on the shooter lane, apron, upper archway. I'm very, very pleased with how it turned out.

IMG_6538.jpgIMG_6538.jpg
#944 4 years ago

I used a palm sander for my EK Hardtop. The Festool should be awesome for this process. I followed vids Hardtop guide. I went ahead and took off all the art work. Probably overkill. I also used rattle can clear on the entire playfield including the shooter lane. I did 3 coats of clear. Use a tact rag on playfield and bottom of Hardtop before peeling but don’t hit Hardtop inserts with tact rag. The Hardtop is awesome.

#945 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

I went through my process here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-on-a-high-speed

Also, linked within mine is Vid's install on a Comet.

As far as grits go, I did 220 on a palm sander, hooked up to a ShopVac to keep the dust down. Alot of people will clear, but I didn't have confidence that it wouldn't ghost after. So, as detailed in my thread above, I did wet sanding with 1000 grit, 3000 grit, then Novus 3, 2, 1 on all the inserts - going back with Naptha to remove any left over Novus residue (likely overkill).

You definitely want to poly the shooter lane and any portions of the wood that would be exposed (not covered by the Hardtop or where the Hardtop is clear).

Hope that helps!

#946 4 years ago

I have an orbital sander a festool would have been awesome it is just a very nice orbital sander anyway with a dust containment system.

Its all the same as the other people stated -

As most stated it is only inserts and shooter lanes that matter much.

#947 4 years ago

I assume topside removal only...how are you keepimg dust from getting everywhere underneath?

#948 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I assume topside removal only...how are you keepimg dust from getting everywhere underneath?

The sawdust capture bag on my orbital sander does a decent job of keeping most of the stuff from flying around, but after I finished I spent 15-20 minutes using my air compressor all over the underside to totally clean out the nooks and crannies.

#949 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

The sawdust capture bag on my orbital sander does a decent job of keeping most of the stuff from flying around, but after I finished I spent 15-20 minutes using my air compressor all over the underside to totally clean out the nooks and crannies.

With my ShopVac hooked up in place of the dust bag on my hand sander, there was no dust in the mechs at all. I still blew it out, just in case.

#950 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Vid did a guide that answers all your questions here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 31.00
There are 3,334 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/19?hl=mrudowsky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.