• Strikes and Spares 56 votes
    4%
  • Kiss (Bally) 71 votes
    5%
  • Supersonic 52 votes
    4%
  • Grand Lizard 80 votes
    6%

(Multiple choice - 1309 votes by 789 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5021 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4999 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5428 (resized).jpeg
July 2022 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-31-29 US PCE Inflation Rate (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-25-09 Pinball Playfield Hardtop (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 09-26-44 Featured Products (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-171223 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240229-170223 (resized).png
IMG_0670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3032 (resized).jpg
IMG_3509 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 67.
#501 5 years ago

Are you guys seeing **dust** or just the primer-like haze on the backside of the plastic?

#502 5 years ago

There is a Space Shuttle at MadCap Brew Co in Kent OH that is in league play every week, has about 20 trillion plays on it (give or take a dozen) since the hardtop was installed about a year ago. No dust, still looks like it was done yesterday.

#505 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:Deleted post

Pinside is having jitters today.

#506 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Pinside is having jitters today.

yeah it posted like 3 time on me, what the heck. Bad internet connection on my end I think

#507 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

yeah it posted like 3 time on me, what the heck. Bad internet connection on my end I think

Nope, did the same thing to me today.

#508 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

To be fair; the seller of the product at the Allentown pinfest told me that the game(space shuttle) had the hardtop for a while and had been played a lot and that was part of why it might have had the effect we were seeing.

From what Iam reading I would have Told you just about anything that would get you to walk away from my booth .

#509 5 years ago

I think if prepped right there is no way for dust to get in there. Gotta get the inserts sanded well, polished or cleared.

#510 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Im not trying to be a picky complainer here. I pretty much immediately noticed a ghosting effect on one of the games the seller brought to the Allentown Pinfest in 2018(I believe it was a space shuttle). I wish I took a picture of it, but I didn't. It seemed most logical based on my observations at that show and my conversations with the seller that it was a bit of dust generated in the pocket between the hardtop and insert. The topic came up because I was simply asking, in this thread, if they could offer the product without the adhesive. I thought(and still think) if I install one of these I would rather not stick it down. I have since realized that I could just simply not remove the adhesive backing but I would still rather just buy the product without adhesive at all. Also I am wondering if the inserts that are painted over have adhesive or not. I know there is no adhesive in the areas of somewhat transparent inserts but what about the totally painted over ones. Unfortunately I cant find all that many detailed pictures of the product online to verify what areas have adhesive and what don't.

First, I really think you're making a "mountain out of a mole hill" here. I've done two hardtop installs (both Space Shuttle) with no issues from what you're attempting to bring up.

I ran downstairs quickly and grabbed my FG hardtop and took some pictures since you were interested in the bottom adhesive layer. Where you see brown paper, there is the adhesive.

20190110_191049 (resized).jpg20190110_191049 (resized).jpg

20190110_191054 (resized).jpg20190110_191054 (resized).jpg

#511 5 years ago

I just turned on my Taxi with a hardtop to check the inserts for dust. After about 5 seconds of doing this, I was convinced how totally ridiculous this is. I then reminded myself it is a 30 year old game that looks a million times better with a hardtop, than it did before. And then I got to playing a game or two. Absolutely love Taxi.

I think we have remind ourselves every now and then that these are pinball machines , and not jewelry.

#512 5 years ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

hey sky pilot do you know if they got the go ahead on Ebd. I've got a hardtop on a frontier no dust problems.

Yes we are doing EBD. Unfortunately High speed has been on low speed but is close to me prototyping. Fingers crossed I may have it before end of January.

#513 5 years ago

So there is some talk of dust between the top and the playfield. The Space Shuttle at the show was the original prototype.We have addressed this I thought in the past.When you clear your inserts if they are not completely sealed dust is possible.If you did not clean dust off your playfield or your Hardtop before installation this is also possible.If you took care on both of those issues you should be fine.

#514 5 years ago

I’m sorry for bringing up the whole “dust” thing. I was really just hoping to have the product offered without adhesive backing and that was one of my reasons and then the topic seems to have spiraled out of control. Again my apologies. It is a great product and I look forward to possibly using one someday.

#515 5 years ago

#516 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

I’m sorry for bringing up the whole “dust” thing. I was really just hoping to have the product offered without adhesive backing and that was one of my reasons and then the topic seems to have spiraled out of control. Again my apologies. It is a great product and I look forward to possibly using one someday.

No worries. It’s only pinball

#517 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

Couldn’t you technically just not pull off the adhesive backing if it is what you wish to do?

#518 5 years ago

Could you just lay it down without pulling the paper backing ? The paper doesn’t cover the inserts . Or am I wrong

#519 5 years ago

Is SOF coming along? I would be extremely appreciative of an approximate date, even if it might be the expected month of release. Pretty please!

#520 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Is SOF coming along? I would be extremely appreciative of an approximate date, even if it might be the expected month of release. Pretty please!

+1 just asking for a friend

#521 5 years ago

I’m glad the dust has finally settled, now time for Baby Pac!

#522 5 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I’m glad the dust has finally settled, now time for Baby Pac!

don't forget granny and the gators!

#523 5 years ago

Awesome news thx sky pilot. Can't wait

#524 5 years ago

Thank geebus EBD is coming...restored mine except for playfield so I have a nice looking machine until you walk up to play it then it's like HOLY MOTHER OF GAWD who hated this playfield?!? Lol

#525 5 years ago

What's the time frame on Pinbot? I know it's getting close.

#526 5 years ago

any chance for strikes and spares?

#528 5 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

What's the time frame on Pinbot? I know it's getting close.

The production of Hardtops is relocating to a different facility. This is why things have slowed down a bit. Once the transition is done I believe thing will speed back up a bit. I cannot comment on timeframes, sorry.

#529 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

Boy I hope they do one, otherwise I guess I'll be playing a white wood (Just need to clear and pop out those star inserts and then I am ready!)
[quoted image]

At the Chicago Pinball Expo last year when at their booth he said that they would have High Speed done before the end of the year. But it's not yet listed on their site and I sent an email asking about it and have not heard back (yet).

EDIT: Nevermind. I see it's been addressed in an earlier post

#530 5 years ago

Waiting for the clear coat to cure. See you in February...

20181218_181724 (resized).jpg20181218_181724 (resized).jpg
#531 5 years ago

Any chance for strikes and spares

Who Hoo!!!

Love the game, but my playfield sucks - as do most of them. In line!

Frank

#532 5 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Waiting for the clear coat to cure. See you in February...
[quoted image]

I think all black suits a Black Knight perfectly

#533 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think all black suits a Black Knight perfectly

Maybe a mirrored black like the fellow who did that to his Black Hole.

#534 5 years ago

How did you mask off all those inserts?

#535 5 years ago

Cyclone, cyclone, cyclone!

#536 5 years ago

Night rider

#537 5 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

How did you mask off all those inserts?

This ^^^^^

Great idea though just not sure if I would have done the whole playfield. Looking forward to how this turns out!

#538 5 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

This ^^^^^
Great idea though just not sure if I would have done the whole playfield. Looking forward to how this turns out!

pop them all out and reinstall after the paint job? if ya gotta level them up anyway......

#539 5 years ago

I just don't know why you would go through the effort of painting the ENTIRE pf black. Different? Yes. Effective? Yes. But at what cost? Extra time and effort into something that will NEVER be seen again after the install is done. I do the parameter of the inserts black for the possibility of an offset. If you do the entire pf for an offset - then you have little faith in your placement of the HT. lol. I'm curious to see how the inlanes and outlanes look with black instead of the original maple showing - be sure to show the after photos!

#540 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I'm curious to see how the inlanes and outlanes look with black instead of the original maple showing - be sure to show the after photos!

Did you ever see those "special edition" CPR Centaur with the white shooter lanes?

#541 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

I'm curious to see how the inlanes and outlanes look with black instead of the original maple showing - be sure to show the after photos!

Exactly. It will be interesting to see how this looks.

#542 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did you ever see those "special edition" CPR Centaur with the white shooter lanes?

yup, played one last year at Texas Pinfest.

#543 5 years ago

Funhouse

#544 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Outsidedge will be including a filler strip on all dual level playfields.

Any chance those of us who bought one before they were included can get one sent?

#545 5 years ago

I just received my Mata Hari. I'm not sure if this art is correct? My field is worn but it looks different.

IMG_3503_01 (resized).JPGIMG_3503_01 (resized).JPG
#546 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I just received my Mata Hari. I'm not sure if this art is correct? My field is worn but it looks different.
[quoted image]

I see what you mean. The Zeros in the 7000 look a little off.

#547 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

[quoted image]

She’s a beauty Clark

#548 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I see what you mean. The Zeros in the 7000 look a little off.

Yeah, I'm wondering if it might been touched up ?

#549 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

[quoted image]

The face was painted to look like a porcelain doll. Lol

#550 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I just received my Mata Hari. I'm not sure if this art is correct?

Restoration is what keeps art around for future generations.

Screen-Shot-2015-03-19-at-4.25.52-PM (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2015-03-19-at-4.25.52-PM (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,342 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.