image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xxvii.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I think this is a clue that the game will have an LCD. I don't think they'd go to the trouble of making official CGI that interacts with the show intro's assets just for a thirty second teaser video.

I'm hopeful for an LCD screen in GoT, but that ball was just added over top the intro footage in After Effects. They didn't re-render the scenes with a ball in the middle of the assets.

#948 8 years ago

I'm definitely going to need to see some gameplay footage before I'm convinced this is worth the money. Going by art package alone, this thing is terrible. The back glasses on this game are the worst I've seen from Stern since Dale Jr. The cartoony graphics on the playfield look too generically medieval and lazy (check out those fighter silhouettes on the mini playfield). And the map graphic on the playfield background is too similar to me to POTC, which I also thought looked bad. I can't believe HBO approved this, seriously.

#982 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm hoping maybe there are LEDs under the fighters to simulate fire.

I'm sure there will be, but I don't think it's going to look impressive like when Smaug does his fire breath in The Hobbit because there aren't enough LEDs for a good spread.

#1451 8 years ago

Made a side-by-side comparison shot of MM, LOTR, TH, and GOT.

#1452 8 years ago

oops, double post

#1527 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't think it's fair to compare 3 bare playfields to one that is fully populated.

It was just a quick job in Photoshop. I think all MM, LOTR, and TH stand way above GoT even without showing them fully populated. There is strong cohesion not just in theme, but of the elements themselves in those three titles that are missing in GoT. Like others have said, GoT looks like it was a generic medieval theme that had some Game of Thrones elements tossed into it.

#1542 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i got the impression leading up to this game that a lot of people who have yet to buy a NIB would take the plunge on this themes PRO version, but after seeing how stripped down and just the horrid art seems like everyone has put the check book away. I'll plunk some quarters in it on location for sure and give it a whirl but wont find its way in my home.

Before this morning, I wanted to make GoT Premium my first NIB game (still waiting on MMRLE... black trim...). I was pretty bummed on the confirmed rumors that there would be no LCD again, but I was going to try to push through that and just focus on whether it would have some compelling gameplay and toys. I never expected the artwork to be so horrible. I'm a graphic designer; I don't care how fun the game is, I'll never be able to bring myself to buy one that looks this amateurish. I'll play one on location if I ever come across it, but I would feel sick seeing it in my house and thinking about how much I paid for this high school looking effort.

Aside from that, I'm wondering just how well the game is going to tie into the GoT universe. For example, on the mini-playfield it looks like you're fighting the dragon. Why? If you're against the dragon, what happens if you're playing House Targaryen? Why is wildfire such an important tool in this game? From a GoT wiki (http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Wildfire) it looks like wildfire is controlled by the alchemists' guild in King's Landing, which means only Lannisters will have access to it. If you're another house are you going to have to defeat the Lannisters at King's Landing before you can use wildfire? The impression that I'm getting so far is that this game's story concept is just MM except you pick the protagonist.

#1699 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

A bit of Facebook gold. Stern is still A+ in the social media department.
oob.png

My favorite response was to someone asking if Stern would confirm who is writing the code for the game: "The stern development team is coding the game." What a weasley answer.

#2201 8 years ago

Something my friends and I were talking about at work: what's with the castle around the mini playfield? Let's be honest, it looks like it was a homemade mod produced after a trip to a Hobby Lobby for some foam board, X-acto knife, and castle brick stickers. Why wasn't it molded? Other games molded their big playfield structures: IJ has a molded temple, WH2O has molded mountains, MM has a molded CASTLE, etc. This is not the type of thing I'd expect to see in a $9k product.

#2205 8 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

I think it was cheap talent. Age has nothing to do with it.
Is it true that the playfield for the Premium will be different and by Freres? That could be good.

If Freres is going to take another stab at the playfield art, then I hope he puts away Photoshop and illustrates the whole thing. He's a really talented artist and did a lot of really great playfields, but he needs to put down the mouse and pick up the pen again.

(Edit: I say this under the impression that he was responsible for the current GoT playfield. That's what I've been led to believe so far.)

#2229 8 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

Was the playfield really designed with Photoshop raster graphics rather than Illustrator-style vector graphics? Are there pixels all over the playfield rather than clean lines and color? Nothing that could be accomplished by hand couldn't be accomplished via Illustrator. One requires artistic vision to actually see something through though.

I agree that you could do anything in software that you could do by hand, and in reality, when I say Freras should illustrate it, I would expect him in this day and age to be using a pen (stylus on tablet) in Illustrator. I think the problem is that the software more easily allows for shortcuts.

When you need a sword on the playfield, you could draw it, but you could also just grab a sword from the Internet and paste it into place. Great time-saver, but you're limited to whatever perspective the sword photo was shot at, which puts limits on your vision and your capability to express it. We see a lot of this kind of copying in this playfield. The swords were from GoT product shots, the archers were slightly altered from MM, a handful of different gears were duplicated all over the place nonsensically, goin coin clipart. Rather than make a nice illustration for the big prominent shield in the center of the playfield, they used an angle gradient. And so on.

Where there were savings in time, there was loss in uniqueness and quality. I think if the artist had to buckle done and work over each detail slowly by hand, it would have resulted in a superior product. Photoshop and Illustrator give a lot of opportunity to rush without considering much for each individual component, and I think without discipline to prevent that, the product will suffer.

#2265 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I believe Woah Nellie was done on a Wacom, no idea about the software though.
Tools are tools, nothing more. Alien's playfield is being assembled in Photoshop. It's the right medium for it. I would only do it all in Illustrator if it was being screened in spot color layers like traditional pins were. Even then I might just stick with high rez Photoshop, depends on the style of art.
But I do a lot of work in Illustrator still. A lot of the inserts for instance have text and icons designed in Illustrator, and then brought over into Photoshop as smart objects, so I can edit the vectors later. It's convenient that way, because I can rotate them in Photoshop to match the insert directions, but edit them easily at their original vertical orientation.
My alt translites like Shadow or Helen were the same thing. Combination of vector drawing and Photoshop rasters. Other people have different tools they prefer. I'm a casual Wacom user, I have a Cintiq 24HD. But serious tablet rats use a lot of drawing tools like Manga Studio etc too. I never went that far.

Absolutely. I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with using Photoshop for pinball playfield art. I'm in love with The Hobbit's playfield. I'm sure that's almost all Photoshop, and I think the quality of it is mindblowing. I wish I could find a version 2 Hobbit playfield image in high resolution as easily as I can a version 1. But those designers have discipline and obviously a lot of skill with Photoshop. We're not seeing that with GoT, but we can see from Freres' other work that he has an amazing amount of talent and is much better than the effort that is being presented in GoT. So for this particular artist, he should go back to full illustration, whether that's completely analog or Illustrator. Either way, no clipart, no photos or raster imagery in place of illustration, no Layer Styles, no shortcuts. All of these things are sucking the life out of his work because they aren't being used with enough discretion on GoT. In this case, the tool is getting in the way and diminishing the potential of the product. I think he should go back to the tools he uses best.

#2605 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Stern put up a video of the ball lock: https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball?fref=nf
Cooler than it looks, I thought it was just a ball stop.
swordy.gif

That's a really cool ball lock, no denying that.

#2648 8 years ago

After I got out of work, I took a quick stab at what would have made me excited for the GoT cabinet. Obviously it's not going to appeal to everyone, and I'm sure lots of people are going to prefer Stern's effort compared to mine, but according to Stern's Facebook rep they spent months nailing down their look whereas I gave myself a handful of hours. And everyone's tastes are different of course. Not everyone wants a black cabinet, but I've owned TZ, TAF, HS2, RFM, and SC, and I'm a little fond of them. It won't offend me if you don't like it.

I'm going to try the playfield next, but I can't promise to finish that. Huge project.

cab.jpgcab.jpg

For the translite, I imagine it having a mirrored backing, so where you see the flourishes around the logo, and the logo itself, would be reflective. The character montage is missing some key players, like a Baratheon, a Tyrell, etc. I just took what I could quickly find on Google that fit the brooding look I wanted. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a montage of characters on backglasses as long as they are well composited and interesting looking. Like I said in another post, the way the actual translite is setup reminds me of a medieval group photo shoot at a Sears.

The gold T-molding is replaced with mirrored T-molding. Instead of another character montage on the side of the cabinet, I just went with the house motto and sigil. I imagine the opposite side would be House Lannister since the LE model is Targaryen themed. Kept the front of the cab simple. Instead of two random characters, I just have the logo and some flourishes.

#2659 8 years ago
Quoted from dri:

You will only learn from taking criticism. It's a skill to turn both constructive and subjective criticism into something that won't kill your ego.

Yup. Comes with being a graphic designer. Have to get used to people shitting on your work. Sometimes you make something that's a hit, and sometimes everyone smashes it, but you learn from it either way and have a better idea what people want for next time. First few times you have to trash your work and start over is pretty disheartening, but it's a process and you grow to accept it.

Quoted from dri:

That said, quotes on the cab is a no go. "Winter is coming" is fine because that is what we all expected.

Yeah, unfortunately the throne graphic didn't span the entire height, and I wanted to finish it tonight, so I decided to just shift the graphic up and fill in the space with a relevant quote. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's ideas for how to better utilize that space. I ran out of ideas.

#2664 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Cabinet is awesome
The Game of Thrones on the Translite doesn't look right there
Imo

I think the issue with it is I have it separated kind of in a JJP style where there's a short marquee at the top and a big area for the LCD screen just below that. I was really hoping for an LCD in GoT I think I carried that thought into the translite.

#2680 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Artwork aside, what's interesting is Stern's LE choice (with HBO consent or request) to choose Daeneris, her dragons and suite rather than The North (Stark, the Wall, Wildlings, white walkers, The Watch...).
Correct me if I am wrong, but the second theme would
- fit the saga better
- be more appealing to many. Daeneris may be a lovely Queen, but the North seems the place to be.
In other words, I would have swapped LE and premium themes.

I agree. Also, if the game is to be all about the various Houses fighting with each other, Daenerys is the least relevant to have prominently displayed on the cabinet. Most the other Houses are pretty close to each other, battling one another, and Daenerys is all by herself practically on the other side of the world. As far as I can remember the end of this last season was the first time another main character has interacted with her face-to-face.

#2712 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I like the mockup, looks cool. For all anyone knows though, Stern couldn't have done anything like this. Maybe HBO said "if you want to use actors, here are the images you are allowed to use" and they worked with that? For all we know 10 different designs for elements were submitted, not approved, and back and forth.
This is why it is so easy to armchair quarterback these things. No one on here was "in the room" when the look and feel was being approved, no one here knows the process Stern had to go through with HBO on one of its most valuable properties, let alone featuring multiple actors who I am sure all have restrictions around how their images are used. Look at the crap DP has had to go through on Lebowski, and that is a 17 year old movie (cult classic though it is) with nowhere near the market value of GoT.
Even Heighway with Aliens isn't going to be the same process. Aliens is a valuable license, but it isn't the "hotness" right now that GoT is. For all anyone knows HBO is ten times more restrictive.
I just don't think anyone can definitively say there was incompetence or "not getting it" behind any decisions on the art. There could be several factors.

It's true that I benefited from a lot of factors: I didn't have to answer to a committee from Stern or HBO to roll forward with my idea, I used elements without concern for their brand marketing guidelines, and so on. This allowed me to take liberties that likely weren't available to Stern. That being said, I doubt HBO commanded them to use a lot of the lazy Photoshop techniques that I and others have been complaining about the past week.

Check out the side art on this cab:

11922822_10153578875589244_3356365342550096152_o.jpg11922822_10153578875589244_3356365342550096152_o.jpg

HBO may have forced Stern to use these characters on this backdrop, sure. But I doubt they told them to apply a shadow to each of the characters against the SKY. I can see why the artist did it; they wanted to better differentiate the characters from the background, but there are other ways this could have been done. It could have even been done still using the shadow. Instead of using a Normal Blend Mode with a black shadow color, they could have changed the color and the Blend Mode to make a warm subtle glow instead. Would have looked slightly better, but black shadows with Normal Blend Modes are the default when you enable a Shadow Layer Style. This is laziness.

And I just noticed that they didn't pay any mind to the way the light is casting off the characters. Check out Jaime Lannister. His face is lit from the back and Tyrion and Cersei are lit from the front. Doesn't make any sense, because they weren't paying attention.

#2761 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I think it is asinine. Not calling anyone an ass, just calling the behavior asinine.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm an ass.

My thoughts on this whole matter are this: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Stern's claim is that this game's artwork is indicative of the quality of an $8000 game; the evidence says otherwise. My claim is that the artwork looks amateurish and/or lazy, but it's not like that's all I do; I back up my claims with evidence of my own. In my last reply to you to I provided a brand-new, never before mentioned complaint about the artwork. This game is just too easy to pick out flaws, it's not like it stops at the silver shield. That's a big problem when Stern is expecting us to fork over tons of cash for these things.

Quoted from paul_8788:

I think it takes a certain level of arrogance to call people you have never met lazy or say they weren't paying attention.

Yup. Thing is, Photoshop is my bread and butter. I have an intimate knowledge of the software, so I am able to evaluate Stern's art on a level that's inaccessible to the average person. I can deconstruct a piece of design when I look at it the same way a composer can on-the-fly boil a song down into its various components of music theory, or tell when the jackass on the keyboard at the music store with the volume turned all the way up is just hitting black keys to a rhythm pretending he knows how to play piano. I'm not saying I'm special or unique; every graphic artist with at least a few years of industry experience is like this. I'm sure whatever your specialty is allows you to do the same kind of thing.

You tried to argue with me that maybe the art's not good because Stern's hand was forced by HBO. I argued that even if Stern was forced to use specific imagery in specific locations, they likely weren't forced to make many of the bad graphic decisions that they did. I provided the shadow against the sky example, and I broke it down into its technical components: Layer Styles, Blend Modes, color. I explained motivation in those choices--yes, I can do that in certain cases. I've worked with myriad graphic designers on countless projects that I can detect some workflow choices with reasonable accuracy. The artist took the easy way out on this one, and I called it out as lazy. Because it was.

Quoted from paul_8788:

Must feel good to be able to just toss judgements about other people around. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being critical of work that they have done.

No, it doesn't feel good. I'd rather GoT been visually amazing so that instead of complaining about my dream theme being ruined, I could be preparing to place an order for a Premium.

I'm not going to deny that I'm being sharptongued in my criticisms. But it's deserved. Stern is increasing prices and we aren't seeing any increased value to justify it (we've only seen art so far, I'm sure the gameplay will be amazing). You can say JJP games are expensive, but at least they look like they're worth it.

The way I see it, negative feedback is just as important as the positive. It's importanat to know where you're failing just as much as it is to know where you succeed. Stern knows that Steve Ritchie has gameplay on lock, but they apparently don't know that the effort their artists put forward on art for some games is not up to the level that is expected for an $8000 machine. If they know this for their next machine, perhaps they will up their graphics quality to match the expectations. Then everybody wins. Customers are happier with a higher quality product, and Stern doesn't lose out on sales that they weren't aware of from people that weren't making their grievances heard, like me before a week ago.

#2775 8 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Your points are well stated. Have you thought of designing your own custom GOT play-field artwork to show what you think works best?

Thanks. Yeah, I'd like to give it a shot, but it's a pretty monumental task. First of all, since a bare playfield photo hasn't been provided, I'd have to mask out all the pieces on the playfield like the flippers, wireforms, etc. Just that setup alone would take me more time than I spent doing the whole cabinet reskin a few pages back.

Next, I'd have to figure out a plan for the artwork based around the inserts. The inserts are pretty big and don't leave a lot of room to do any nice artwork. It also doesn't help that we don't know the rules yet since that plays into the design choices.

Third, I'd need the help of an illustrator. I know the limitations of my abilities, and I wouldn't be able to properly execute the artwork without assistance. I have a friend that I could tap, but I'd have to work with his schedule and his own enthusiasm for the project. Both he and I would be doing this for free, for a thing that wouldn't go into an actual product, that a lot of people think of as nothing but complaining. Hard to stay motivated for something like that on a project this big.

I haven't really fleshed out any thoughts on what I'd do on the playfield yet either. The cabinet was relatively straightforward. HBO GoT products have a pretty specific look that is easy to replicate with all the high res artwork available on the Internet. The Stern cabs are the most divergent HBO GoT licensed products I've seen.

So far, what I've thought is that the playfield should be like The Hobbit in that it is divided up thematically. Like the gutter area below the flippers/outlanes should be the great mask hall of the Many-Faced God (the "Valar Morghulis" above the gutter is the best part of the Stern playfield), between the slings should definitely be the Iron Throne. I think instead of shields over top it, it might have been more interesting if the inserts were shaped like some of the swords that are part of the throne itself. In any case, the inserts shouldn't be so big or placed in a way that would completely cover the throne graphic. On the slings could be two enemies in battle stances, like the Mountain and Oberyn, or the Hound and Brienne.

That's about all that I've really thought so far. Any other ideas don't seem like they'd make sense with the potential rules. I think it would be logical that the higher up you go on the playfield, the more wintery it gets, with the Wall somewhere, but the right orbit and pop bumper area lead to the sea. The only North representation we see is the middle lane under the castle mini-playfield. I'm not sure what could be done with with the castle. I think it's inexcusable that the sides aren't plastic molded. Aside from that, I don't know how to reskin the castle reasonably because it doesn't make sense to me. I will need to see the rules to understand why you're going to fight the dragon whenever you breach another House's castle. Stuff like this make it hard to reskin. Not enough information yet.

#2786 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And if HBO was being so restrictive that they could not release a quality product because of it. THen it's time to tell them to shove it up their ass and go on to a different license. People are paying 7-9k for this shit. It better be top notch, or the NIB buyer market is going to sink faster than they can raise the prices.

That's the puzzling thing too. These pinball machines look nothing like the rest of the HBO Game of Thrones licensed merchandise. I would expect if the license were so highly restrictive that we would have seen the games fall more in line with all the rest of the products.

Game-of-Thrones-Episode-4-Free-Download.jpgGame-of-Thrones-Episode-4-Free-Download.jpg

gameofthrones_artbook.jpggameofthrones_artbook.jpg

Games_Of_Thrones_-_Le_Trone_de_Fer_-_Bluray2.jpgGames_Of_Thrones_-_Le_Trone_de_Fer_-_Bluray2.jpg

Game-of-Thrones-2-1-Giftpack.pngGame-of-Thrones-2-1-Giftpack.png

#2831 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

But not sure why everyone is so excited about storing playfields. That system will never work. Ever.

Don't see why not. After Heighway has their first game after Alien out, I'm sure someone will design a snazzy cabinet that you bolt your pinball machine to instead of using full length legs, and then it will have a shelf or two to store two or three playfields below your active game. I'd love to have that saved space.

#2839 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Look...this has been tried before and failed. Playfields are not like nintendo cartridges. You can't just store them easily. It's cool how simple they are to swap, but just saying this system will never catch on.

Perhaps I don't know my pinball history very well. Done when, aside from Pinball 2000? And how was that particular aspect of it a failure? It's not the feature's fault Bally/Williams only made two games for it. It wasn't the feature's fault they closed their pinball division.

If Highway makes more than two games, I don't see why it wouldn't catch on. If P3 has more than two games, I don't see why it wouldn't catch on. If PPS made a modular cabinet with swappable '80s/'90s games, I don't see why it wouldn't catch on.

And like I said before, if there were games available, someone would design the must-have cabinet that goes under the pinball machine to store the extra playfields. It's common sense.

#2850 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Let me clarify my stance.
GOT art sucks.
GOT will shoot amazing and go down as a classic.
Alien should be great, but come on, show us something.
STERN is the only real player in pinball. They have manufacturing down. Everyone else struggles to ship a pin. Fact.

GoT will probably be an amazing player and recognized for it one day, but it will forever look like amazing crap and that won't fly with me. I'll be happy to play it in on route if I ever come across one but I'll never own it.

If you don't remember, Heighway did show off the Alien playfield concept a while back, Aurich provided a lot of comments on it, and then they pulled him in as a creative director. JJP showed us the playfield art for The Hobbit and the community provided lots of feedback. The playfield art went from good to amazing. Stern showed us GoT as a final product. Its looks suck, but that doesn't matter because they are shipping anyway.

Stern's shipping games. Great. But I'd rather have a good game than a mediocre one. I've never bought a NIB Stern. If GoT's art wasn't so bad, that would have changed. But instead, they continue to get zero dollars from me, and I have my eyes turned away from Stern and looking out for TH and Alien updates. I'd rather wait to have it done right. You don't score points with me if your product is weak.

#2864 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Last time I checked I started an OT thread to discuss the car and everyone there has been positive. Now share some Alien news

Did you build the car yourself or did you just buy it? Give him some time to actually create.

#2887 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

So, the art alone make a game mediocre? ACDC is horrid, but it is amazing to play. Trons playfield is the same photoshopped layout, but its considered one of the best. I admit I cant stand the playfield art on GoT, but that does not make it mediocre. Once we see it flipping, its going to change a lot of people minds, because this is a Steve Ritchie game afterall. When I am playing a game, I am not looking at the playfield art, i am looking at the shots that make it fun to play.

To me, bad art is a deal breaker for owning, not for playing. I still want to play GoT, I just no longer want to own it after seeing the renders. I'm not spending thousands of dollars on something with highschool quality Photoshop. Not everyone has the same criteria for big purchases that I do of course, I'm pretty biased toward visuals being a graphic designer. Design is what I spend a lot of my time doing so I'm going to focus on it.

People keep bringing up ACDC, LotR, Tron, ST as examples of other Stern games with ugly art, but I don't know what they're talking about.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with ACDC's playfield art. I actually even like the Angus drawing on the Pro (I might be the only one). I'm not offended by Tron's playfield art either. LotR's only problem to me is the really low quality, low resolution print of it. Those three are at least technically decent and very obviously fit their themes. ST is good technically, but the art isn't quite cohesive to the theme. As I've said before, ST reminds me of Buzz Lightyear. But all four games have much better playfields than I would have been able to make. It's a shame that GoT doesn't.

buzz.jpgbuzz.jpg

#2937 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I'm not going to put GoT the art on Steve. I know that many of you disagree.

Who blames Steve Ritchie for the art? How would it make sense to blame him for it? My complaint is that a Steve Ritchie game deserves better art. Chances are good that this game is going to rock, gameplay-wise. The art sucks though. Steve Ritchie's not the artist, so why would he be held accountable?

#2938 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Good. Maybe they will take notice and realize they finally overstepped getting away with as much inferior product and too high of price. Bitching on here hopefully gets their attention. But they read this shit and laugh, because people will still buy it. Until you hit them in the pocket book, nothing will change. Prices will still go up. Product will get short changed more and more. But there are some on here, that feel the need to buy nearly every game that comes out regardless on how shitty it is. Since we can only base this game so far on looks. We have 1 thing we can rate. And so far it rates as shit. Until we start playing 50 games on it. We can't say anything else. Even video only shows us looks.

I agree. Stern didn't build this game for free, for the good of the pinball community. They are presenting a product to us and expecting us to buy it for a not-so-insignificant price so that they can make a profit.

Some people have said to me that there is no point in complaining about the product or making my own mockups, that keeping my wallet shut will say more to Stern than any noise I could make. In a way though, that's what I've done as long as I've been in the pinball hobby. I've never bought a NIB Stern, so they've never seen a dime from me. As far as they know, I don't exist. They will never have any idea they missed out on my dollars until I start complaining. This is why people parrot that stupid phrase, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." In terms of impact, that cabinet mockup and the comments I've made will be worth more than my closed wallet would ever be.

#2940 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I disagree. I think you should NOT buy, and bitch about it.

That's what I meant.

#2947 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

We all wish Hobbit could go head to head with GOT so consumers could vote with their wallets. We're all hoping Hobbit starts shipping in October, but that doesn't seem likely.

All the more reason complaining right now is the most effective immediate strategy.

#2993 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't know why people are complaining about the cabinet on the LE. When the Smaug Hobbit came out, people were so happy because all they wanted to see was dragons everywhere. GOT LE has dragons everywhere, and people are still complaining. There's a lot of hypocrisy here, and a lot of people who are never satisfied.

I think some of the high rollers are disappointed because it's going to look too similar to the Hobbit SE that's also going in their collections. Both have a lot of red, a lot of fire, and a dragon. Difference is that the Hobbit does it better.

11953500_10153578870044244_1970999391851170494_o.jpg11953500_10153578870044244_1970999391851170494_o.jpg

Look at Drogon. Just sitting there passively on some mountaintop, breathing fire for whatever reason. I can't tell what he's blowing it at on the front of the cabinet. The Unsullied (but that wouldn't make sense)? I think it's boring.

14695-Hobbit-Smaug-Edition.jpg14695-Hobbit-Smaug-Edition.jpg

Now look at Smaug. He looks menacing, and he's coming for you. His intentions are pretty clear. That's exciting.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

(I was happy with the first iteration of Hobbit, btw...)

I was really happy with the first iteration of Hobbit too. The only thing that I had a problem with was the center of the playfield with a little Smaug flying over the Lonely Mountain. I thought if they just fixed that it would be perfect. Turns out that wasn't true. They fixed that, and then they reworked the entire rest of the playfield and now it's absolutely incredible. I haven't seen another playfield yet come close to that one in amazingness.

10376907_589942111107940_4998326885177715872_n.jpg10376907_589942111107940_4998326885177715872_n.jpg

#3006 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

All true. Have you played it, though?

I haven't had a chance yet. I'm in love with the machine, but if I decide to I'm not going to order one until they start rolling down the production line. After seeing the JPop and Predator fiascos, I'm not going to take any chances. I preordered a MMRLE, and paid it in full last year, expecting it to be here quite a long time ago and still have no idea when I'm ever going to get it (black trim).

#3011 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Stern: Clearly a dragon, clearly one of the GoT-Dragons. The dragon is fully pictured in action. In the game we find the same full dragon.

Yes, clearly a dragon, but what action? He’s just sitting there by himself. And look at all the ineffective negative space around him. The composition’s cropping is more boring than Drogon’s pose.

Quoted from someoneelse:

JJP: A Dragon head. To messy and to much action to really identify anything. In the game we find a sock-puppet dragon head that looks nothing like smaug.

This shot has been cropped for maximum impact. There’s no wasted space on this sideart. Smaug is *doing* something. There’s action in this shot. And I would think in a scene where there is waste-laying and destruction, you would expect it to be filled with mayhem and hard to identify things that are being obliterated.

I personally don’t like the gold covered Smaug head, but I think the mold is sufficiently close to movie Smaug’s shape. I also think it’s a really cool toy. I love that it talks with lip-synced dialogue. I love that it breathes fire and lights up the inserts in a cone from whichever direction it’s pointed. That stuff’s cool. I’m looking forward to seeing what the GoT dragon will do, but I’m not expecting anything on Smaug’s level of coolness, probably just some flapping wings and strafing left and right.

61.jpg61.jpg
Smaugmoviestill.jpgSmaugmoviestill.jpg

Quoted from someoneelse:

The new JJP PF is nice, but how long did it take to get there? Stern is live company with a production schedule, no chance to get stuck in re-designing the PF over and over and over and over again.

It didn’t take JJP years to make the artwork for the Hobbit’s playfield, there’s no reason it’d have to take Stern years either. If GoT’s art was half as good as Hobbit’s original playfield, I probably wouldn’t have complained at all. That would have only taken another couple weeks and hiring a talented Photoshop pixel ranger for the job that was fully committed to making the best product possible.

Quoted from someoneelse:

If The Hobbit is not a success JJP will most probably have to close their doors. If GoT is not a success, well, the next pin is just a few months away, not a big problem for Stern.

What is the point of saying this? That JJP has to make a perfect game so they better do it right? I don’t care that Stern will have another game out in a few months. There’s probably not ever going to be another GoT pin.

Quoted from someoneelse:

Regarding the GoT playfield:
If you look at the themes rather close to GoT you have to admit that GoT is a HUGE improvement in artwork.
I'm aware that it is not what you hoped and dreamed for from a Game-of-Thrones fanboy point of view.
But it is more than you could have expected from a Stern-Reality point of view.

Being slightly better than Stern’s previous efforts is not good enough when they've raised the prices like they have. Those games you showed are from before the PRE/LE model kicked in. You can’t really compare those games and GoT as similar products since the Pro model as far as we can tell is essentially a nonstarter. And why didn’t you include LotR which is the most analogous? More relevant than digging so far into the past is looking at all the better art on their more recent games: MET, TWD, KISS, even ST, WWE, and Mustang. GoT looks lame in comparison, and a joke next to The Hobbit. Study the highres shots of the TH playfield for a while and then switch back to GoT. It’s pretty jarring.

#3081 8 years ago

I applaud Stern for putting the throne back into the Pro. That was a glaring omission.

#3192 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

You mean none of those badass arm chair art playfield pro critics wants to step up and shine to show stern how it's suppose to done. Now that's shocking!!!!!

Everything Aurich said, especially this part:

Quoted from Aurich:

it's a lot of work, why in the world would someone spend all those hours of their time doing it for no reason? Just so you could say "eh, it's not as good?" or "wow, I like it"? This is hard work, that takes time. And if you rush it then it shows. Which is why we're having this conversation in the first place.

Someone asked me to redo the playfield after I did the cabinet, and I went into detail about it in this post:

Quoted from XXVII:

Thanks. Yeah, I'd like to give it a shot, but it's a pretty monumental task. First of all, since a bare playfield photo hasn't been provided, I'd have to mask out all the pieces on the playfield like the flippers, wireforms, etc. Just that setup alone would take me more time than I spent doing the whole cabinet reskin a few pages back.
Next, I'd have to figure out a plan for the artwork based around the inserts. The inserts are pretty big and don't leave a lot of room to do any nice artwork. It also doesn't help that we don't know the rules yet since that plays into the design choices.
Third, I'd need the help of an illustrator. I know the limitations of my abilities, and I wouldn't be able to properly execute the artwork without assistance. I have a friend that I could tap, but I'd have to work with his schedule and his own enthusiasm for the project. Both he and I would be doing this for free, for a thing that wouldn't go into an actual product, that a lot of people think of as nothing but complaining. Hard to stay motivated for something like that on a project this big.
I haven't really fleshed out any thoughts on what I'd do on the playfield yet either. The cabinet was relatively straightforward. HBO GoT products have a pretty specific look that is easy to replicate with all the high res artwork available on the Internet. The Stern cabs are the most divergent HBO GoT licensed products I've seen.
So far, what I've thought is that the playfield should be like The Hobbit in that it is divided up thematically. Like the gutter area below the flippers/outlanes should be the great mask hall of the Many-Faced God (the "Valar Morghulis" above the gutter is the best part of the Stern playfield), between the slings should definitely be the Iron Throne. I think instead of shields over top it, it might have been more interesting if the inserts were shaped like some of the swords that are part of the throne itself. In any case, the inserts shouldn't be so big or placed in a way that would completely cover the throne graphic. On the slings could be two enemies in battle stances, like the Mountain and Oberyn, or the Hound and Brienne.
That's about all that I've really thought so far. Any other ideas don't seem like they'd make sense with the potential rules. I think it would be logical that the higher up you go on the playfield, the more wintery it gets, with the Wall somewhere, but the right orbit and pop bumper area lead to the sea. The only North representation we see is the middle lane under the castle mini-playfield. I'm not sure what could be done with with the castle. I think it's inexcusable that the sides aren't plastic molded. Aside from that, I don't know how to reskin the castle reasonably because it doesn't make sense to me. I will need to see the rules to understand why you're going to fight the dragon whenever you breach another House's castle. Stuff like this make it hard to reskin. Not enough information yet.

Really though, there's no reason to have to redo GoT's playfield to prove it could have and should have been done better. Just look at the higher quality art on other games' playfields. Look at TH especially. Check out the playfields by http://www.tiltwarning.com Look at LotR, TBL, MET, and so on. Look at B/W and Capcom games from the '90s. There are lots of examples of playfields that shine above GoT's.

#3197 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

What I can't get over is how no characters are on the playfield. HBO must have prohibited that.

Ironically, this might have been Stern listening to fan feedback. I've seen lots of complaining in the past about faces on playfields/translites. I think the real problem has been poor integration/bad Photoshop jobs.

#3645 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wow. Sly little bastards at Stern updated the side cabinet art, and haven't said a word.
Look at it. The horrible drop Shadow/glow around the characters is gone. The black glow around the logo has been reduced to a nice clean keyline. Two easy changes that turn it much more acceptable.
Looks like the stupid logo glow is on the LE still, since the certificates have it, but maybe they were ordered earlier. Still time to make the LE logo not look cheesy, and that would go a long way towards making the hand drawn art better.
Of course the real problem isn't any of that, it's the playfield, and there's no going back there. Still, give them credit for listening at least.

Yeah, the sideart looks a lot better with the terrible shadow-glows around the characters redone. For those that didn't notice the difference, check out Jaime and Tyrion especially.

450907.jpg450907.jpg
454761.jpg454761.jpg

I'm glad we all have complained. Stern listened and did something about it. Now people are going to get a better product and it didn't cost them a dime extra. This example and #whereisthethrone both show why even negative feedback is important.

1 week later
#4213 8 years ago

I love video modes and I think GoT's has potential to be kinda fun... but it looks embarrassing in its current state. Check out this comparison shot with IJ, a game that came out over 20 years ago.

gotxij.jpggotxij.jpg

Pretend you know nothing about either game or either franchise. Just based on that shot, which would you assume is the newer game? The IJ shot looks more sophisticated, with bigger sprites and better utilized whitespace.

The comparisons people made of GoT's video mode and Karateka (made in 1984) are pretty apt, except that at least Karateka is in color. I actually took the IJ shot from the ColorDMD promo video, but I turned it monochrome so that the comparison wouldn't be completely unfair, which is ridiculous in my opinion since ColorDMD started coming out 3 years ago.

I specifically chose this shot from IJ because I think it better portrays how Stern should compose GoT's video mode. Make the Arya and opponent sprites much bigger, to fill out the display, and give them some detail so you can recognize who they are. There's no need for them to be so small and able to travel around the display as much as they currently are; 5-8 pixels of horizontal drift should be more than sufficient to give some back and forth movement in battle. The player's not controlling the movement anyway, so what does it matter?

Notice in the IJ shot that the characters are slightly rotated from perpendicular to the camera and you can see the opponent's back? Do that; it helps make the graphics look less flat and boring.

This would improve GoT's video mode 100x.

#4231 8 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

Rather than take the "You don't haaave to play the mode if you don't want to.." approach and just dismiss it as people will never play that mode--code it so that people want to pick that mode every time.

Definitely. When I play Getaway, my main immediate goal is to play the video mode. Same with Fish Tales. The sword fight doesn't have to be hokey diversion, it could be a meaningful positive addition to the game.

Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

Or better yet, what if you code many different sword fighting sequences that spawn depending on what house mode you are pursuing?

Lots of great ideas.

#4235 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

In the video mode can you move the guys with the flippers or just move the sword with the apron button?
If the mode isn't going to change perhaps put an scene in the background.

I think that you play only using the flipper buttons. One flipper controls your parry action, and the other stabs.

#4246 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Could the video mode be just barebones code to ship the game, only to be refined in a later version?

Let's hope so, but it's better to speak up now while they're still heavily working on the code rather than keep quiet and risk that they are already satisfied with it. That PotC screenshot gives me some doubt that its end state is going to be much different.

#4390 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is it perfect? No.
Is it better? Definitely.
I for one appreciate the effort. We can't complain and bitch, and then not respond when they listen. Because let's be honest, this wasn't how it was going to be originally, they changed things because we spoke up. There's no way that they just randomly decided to change the gradient in the middle of the playfield on a whim.
So kudos to Stern for putting in some effort.

Agreed. Kudos to Stern for doing something rather than just telling us to suck it up. I appreciate the effort, but it's still not enough to sway me back to wanting to buy.

Quoted from winteriscoming:

That exact PF without the gears and chains, just replaced with blue, would have maybe been acceptable.

Yeah, the color of the gears and plastics feels off to me. Perhaps they would look better if they were frosted white?

Quoted from mesmashu:

my only complaint. where the F is Ygritte?

I hated Ygritte, but I think it is a mistake to not include her. This translite is quite a sausage fest. It's not doing the best job being inclusive to female pinball players. In place of just Sam could be him coupled with Gilly. Ygritte should replace Rattleshirt, or even Karsi, the dark haired Wildling woman that was only in one episode. Considering the direction the show is going it'd probably even be okay to throw Melisandre on there.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Yet the first two pages of the thread since the photos were posted were loaded with everyone claiming the differences are due to Pinside complaints... or how Stern went back and fixed things.. instead of having to face the reality of 'it could have been planned this way from the start'. We can't say it is or is not... but that doesn't stop pinside from claiming to be the reason for the design with nothing but coincidence to support that theory.

I'm going to assume that the stark difference (see what I did there?) is a response to the fan reactions to the LE/Pro unveil, and this was not part of the original plan. If they intended from the beginning to have such a different playfield for the Premium model, I would have expected we'd see some Daenerys-specific customizations on the LE playfield, some dragon/Dothraki/Meereen influence. Instead, it's going to be difficult to tell the difference between the Pro and LE woods if you depopulate them without paying attention to which inserts are missing and probably holes and such for the mini-playfield. Instead of the silver shield, the LE could have had a dragon egg, for one small example. There's nothing like that. Stern has the time to make changes with the Premium that they don't with the Pros/LEs, so they did. Perhaps they did always have this in mind, but it seems pretty bizarre to me.

#4405 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yah, I agree with you. I think the premium was always going to look this way, they didn't change a thing. But they might take credit for it though

I think they didn't change anything about the cabinet and translite from the original plan. I only think it was the playfield that received extra attention after the LE/Pro response. It seems fishy to me that the Pro and LE playfields have the yellow map playfield and silver shield, and only the Premium has the blue playfield and metal link pattern. Why does the Premium playfield stand out so much from either the Pro or LE when they had to make three designs?

#4489 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If there is a question, do they listen to Pinside?
Have they removed any gears from the artwork? No.
If Stern was listening they'd have redone a lot more, but the snow does cover the gears somewhat.

Despite gears having nothing to do with GoT, I realized they weren’t ever going to budge on them after I saw some of the DMD animations. They obviously think the gears are clever since they included them in some of the mode graphics (also with Roman numerals? because GoT is medieval and not a fantasy setting on another world, I guess? and Roman numerals are old-timey?). I have to give them some credit though, they did change the silver shield, which was the biggest blight on the playfield. That’s something.

Quoted from rai:

If the LE art was a swing and a miss, the premium is a solid foul tip.

I agree. Cabinet-wise, I’m not really impressed by either. And neither of them feel like HBO Game of Thrones officially licensed products to me.

Steve Ritchie said the cabinet mockup I made would never fly through approvals, but I think that’s BS. Not because I think there wouldn’t be any issue with my design; I’m sure there are plenty of problems. I’m starting to think the cool metal Stark wolf sigil I used on the cabinet side was just fan art. But I say BS because almost everything I did already had a precedent in some other officially licensed GoT product.

Here’s a quick breakdown:
got.jpggot.jpg

I think my design has been a hit with a lot of people not because what I did was good so much as that it connected better with fans' expectations of what a Game of Thrones product would look like.

Steve Ritchie said in the Twitch stream that he’s read all the books and watched all the episodes at least seven times each. I believe it. But I don’t think the artist Stern used is familiar with the series at all. None of the three cabinets or playfields do anything to capture to the mood of the series. They feel to me like the artist was provided the promotional photos and then assembled them together without much understanding of what they represented. Like the orange starburst from the seven-pointed star symbol behind the Iron Throne on the Pro translite. The impression that I’ve been getting from the latest season of the show is that the New Gods don’t actually exist, so showing god rays bursting out of the star on the Pro translite make it especially ridiculous.

And as I keep saying, these pinball machines are the most divergent officially licensed HBO GoT products on the market. The closest products I can find that the pinball machines are like are non-HBO Game of Thrones licensed products:
boardgame.jpgboardgame.jpg

[Edit: just found the source for those house sigils. HBO should officially license these because they are awesome: https://www.behance.net/gallery/Game-of-thrones-wallpapers/3985601]

#4588 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Did people complain about LOTR when it was revealed?

I can tell you that aside from the low resolution printing of it, I never complained about the LOTR art when I owned one.

#4606 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

You would know better than Ritchie. All he has done is be involved in pinball for 40 years and be involved with this project in particular for the last couple.

Appeal to AuthorityAppeal to Authority

You and I went over this already:

Quoted from XXVII:

extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

When someone says something in public, other people have the right to call them out on what they said. That's what I did to Ritchie; that's what you did to me in response to me doing it to Ritchie. It only makes sense that if you're going to argue against someone's claim you provide any evidence if you have it.

Steve Ritchie's claim was that my design wouldn't fly through approvals. I refuted that it wouldn't at least be somewhat in the ballpark by showing some evidence: all the HBO-sanctioned material I used to build up my cabinet.

I'm sure the reality is that Ritchie's statement was just a clever deflection to the person he was responding to that said that they liked my design. It allowed him to avoid saying that he did or didn't like the design and changed the subject to its approval viability. Something of a conversational sleight of hand.

Quoted from paul_8788:

Could they have done a better art package and got it through HBO approvals? Possibly, I don't know.

Yes, they could have. Try and find another HBO Game of Thrones product that is of similar or lower quality than the pinball machines. I haven't yet, and believe me that I've been looking. If anyone finds one, please share it.

Quoted from paul_8788:

But let it go already. Don't buy the pin and maybe go work for Stern and show them how it should be done.

Why? I may not be buying anymore, but I still want to play it, and when I play it I want it to be the best experience possible. This is why I'm complaining about the video mode. I still intend on playing it one day, even if right now it looks like an Atari 2600 game. The worst thing I can do at the moment is sit idly by and not say something about it looking like a turd. If no one says anything negative about it, it might end up like that in the final product, because Stern doesn't know people aren't happy with it.

And repeating what I said before:

Quoted from XXVII:

The way I see it, negative feedback is just as important as the positive. It's importanat to know where you're failing just as much as it is to know where you succeed. Stern knows that Steve Ritchie has gameplay on lock, but they apparently don't know that the effort their artists put forward on art for some games is not up to the level that is expected for an $8000 machine. If they know this for their next machine, perhaps they will up their graphics quality to match the expectations. Then everybody wins. Customers are happier with a higher quality product, and Stern doesn't lose out on sales that they weren't aware of from people that weren't making their grievances heard, like me before a week ago.

Quoted from XXVII:

Some people have said to me that there is no point in complaining about the product or making my own mockups, that keeping my wallet shut will say more to Stern than any noise I could make. In a way though, that's what I've done as long as I've been in the pinball hobby. I've never bought a NIB Stern, so they've never seen a dime from me. As far as they know, I don't exist. They will never have any idea they missed out on my dollars until I start complaining. This is why people parrot that stupid phrase, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." In terms of impact, that cabinet mockup and the comments I've made will be worth more than my closed wallet would ever be.

#4632 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Who decides SR saying it wouldn't make it through approvals is an extraordinary claim? You? Based on your google-fu? Internet expertise at its finest. And what evidence is Ritchie supposed to supply? The details of their licensing agreement with HBO? Recorded meetings? Written statements from the HBO licensing people? I choose to take him at his word as he has earned it. Why would he have to justify and prove his comments to you or anyone else on the internet?

Of course he doesn't have to provide any evidence of his own, nor does he owe it to the Internet to provide it, but that doesn't mean the Internet isn't allowed to dispute his claim. I disputed it; based on his merits, I made an extraordinary claim, so I was compelled to provide evidence to support that claim, which I did. Get it?

Quoted from paul_8788:

Really? Do they have the right to determine that the "reality" is their statement is just a clever deflection? Again, where do you get to decide this reality and in the same paragraph say Ritchie is lying or trying to deflect some truth? Same google-fu?

I don't "get to decide this reality". I postulated that Ritchie deflected onto a more nebulous topic (approval viability) so that he could avoid saying something negative about the design, which would have come off as unprofessional, or positive about the design, which would have bad implications for Stern and the product he helped produce. So responding positively or negatively would have been bad for him. No Google necessary to figure that out; this is just using my brain.

Quoted from paul_8788:

See, I said possibly. I also said "I don't know" because I am not involved with HBO, their licensing or this pinball machine. Neither are you. Your certainty is once again based on some game of thrones graphics you pulled of the internet.

And what do I find on the Internet? Tons and tons of better designed products that also went through the HBO approval gauntlet and passed. What are you saying? That I can't compare Stern's products with theirs, see a difference in quality, and assume that Stern wasn't allowed to make their games look as nice as the rest of the GoT merchandise? I wasn't involved in the approval process, true, but I think I can safely guess (but I can't know, right?!) that HBO wanted Stern to build the best looking product possible and didn't tell them to crap it up a little because it looked too good.

Quoted from paul_8788:

Thank goodness we have you here.

Indeed, because like or not, I and the rest of us Pinsiders that aren't settlers are the ones that compel Stern into making better products. Remember #wheresthethrone? Don't be surprised if more suggestions, like replacing the silver shield, or putting Ygritte on the translite make it into the Premiums. Or better than Atari 2600 graphics make it into the video mode because of critiques like mine.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

People keep throwing out this argument that those of us that don't like something should just be quiet. Why? Things are changing because people are complaining. I don't think that premium playfield would have looked any different if it wasn't for the complaints. I'm not saying it's any better (maybe a frog's hair better) but I do appreciate Stern listening. And the next game they make, maybe they will put a little more thought into the art.

Exactly.

Quoted from paul_8788:

However one can say "I don't like this because of this", without saying "these guys are so lazy/incompetent/full of crap, I could do so much better". One is being critical in a constructive respectful way, the other is not. At the end of the day, the team who have worked on this pin have put in a lot of time and effort and are worthy of some respect imo. If someone disagrees with that, and thinks that even basic respect isn't warranted, then I wish they would keep it to themselves.

This is called tone policing. This is what the Urban Dictionary says about tone police:

Tone police are people who focus on (and critique) how something is said, ignoring whether or not it is true.

They will discard a true statement simply because they don't like how it was presented. This attitude is prevalent among emotional midgets, mental midgets, liberals and wimps.

They tend to be intolerant of any statement that isn't couched with empty platitudes and butt-kissing, while thinking themselves a model of tolerance. They are often also hypocrites.

Tone police: "You might be right, but since I don't like how you said it, I demand you apologize!"

Sounds about right.

#4637 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

XXVII - I take your point. But I think the biggest hole in your argument, which I otherwise agree with, is you stuck a big piece of fan art on the side. It was rad fan art, but not from HBO. And it would be easy to look at your mockup, and see that, and say "nope".

Yeah, I agree. I didn't know it was fan art when I made it, but I realized it since then. I even mentioned this in the original post paul complained about:

Quoted from XXVII:

Steve Ritchie said the cabinet mockup I made would never fly through approvals, but I think that’s BS. Not because I think there wouldn’t be any issue with my design; I’m sure there are plenty of problems. I’m starting to think the cool metal Stark wolf sigil I used on the cabinet side was just fan art. But I say BS because almost everything I did already had a precedent in some other officially licensed GoT product.
[Edit: just found the source for those house sigils. HBO should officially license these because they are awesome: https://www.behance.net/gallery/Game-of-thrones-wallpapers/3985601

In any case, this is an easy fix. Instead of the cool 3D sigil, it could have just as well been the flat grey one from the official artwork. That'd still look nice and on theme.

#4639 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

No, its called having some class. Here is what the urban dictionary says about class:

Something MEN have and BOYS don't. Respect.

Haha, okay. Now you're reminding me of the "slit your throat neck" fedora wearer:

#4652 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Here's the difference:
He's SR. Who the fuck are you?
Get it?

Reading comprehension fail. Read the very thing you quoted from me. I said that I disputed something Ritchie said. Being an expert in his field, it's an extraordinary claim for me to make, so I needed to back it up with evidence. He's the King of Flow, and I'm nobody, therefore I need evidence. Do YOU get it yet?

Quoted from lowepg:

Your mockup based on someone else's fan art was an interesting post, but thats all it was....

Interesting is all it was ever meant to be. I never demanded Stern to stop printing their decals and start using mine. It was to spur discussion. It worked.

Quoted from lowepg:

Your 6-part posts (where you find the need to even quote yourself for commentary (??)) are starting to get a bit desperate and sad. Get over it.

I quote myself because there's no point in me saying the same thing a different way. Why are you so offended that I'm posting my opinions? Get over it.

#4682 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

What? Now you are just throwing out complete non-sequiturs and personal attacks.

Non-sequitur how? You said:

Quoted from paul_8788:

...class...MEN...BOYS

The same stuff that fedora kid harps on about in that video. It was a relevant comparison.

Quoted from paul_8788:

I guess we could continue with a hair pulling/face slapping internet fight, maybe get some folks to toss up some popcorn gifs, but I honestly don't have the time or energy. How about this. I put you on ignore, you put me on ignore, and we can both go back to talking about pinball.

Haha, you crack me up. This is once again fitting the definition of tone policing. You hypocritically call me names (say I'm asinine, insinuate that I'm a boy and don't have class) while pretending you're above doing that when I dish it back to you. And then you want to censor when the conversation doesn't go the way you want. Go ahead and block me if you can't handle it. I don't intend on blocking you, because I won't get hurt feelings just because you don't say nice things to me. If you want to continue tone policing my posts, let's move it to PMs. If you can try to look past my tone and argue my points, then do so. If you're not mature enough, just block me. And if that's the case: adieu.

#4690 8 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I mean, seriously -there's at least one lead member of the lynch mob who doesn't have a single recent Stern in his collection.

I assume you're talking about me, and if not, then I at least fit all the parameters.

There are lots of reasons why I don't own any recent Sterns. I owned both LOTR and TSPP in the past. They are both fun games in their own ways, but I had a hard time looking past the quality of them compared to the Bally/Williams games next to them. The cut-corners were painfully obvious, especially when doing something like lifting the playfield and there's no support hinge. Then the printing on them was low resolution, and they were simply more expensive.

For most of the post-2000 Stern lineup, the themes didn't connect with me or I didn't like the implementation. Of the last ten or so years, the only ones I've been interested in owning aside from LOTR and TSPP are Tron and Iron Man, but I couldn't justify the price for either when I could spend the same on two equally or greater feature-filled fun B/W games that were built to higher standards.

I did plan on buying GoT though. Ever since ACDC, I thought I was seeing a Stern renaissance, they just didn't have the right theme to connect to me. MET especially convinced me. The Dirty Donnie artwork is really fantastic. If I were rich I'd own that game just for the art (not really a Metallica fan).

The pieces were set with GoT to be Stern's crown jewel, that could have for better or worse, annihilated JJP. On the JJP side, The Hobbit movie trilogy hasn't really been very well received, and it doesn't help that the game still didn't have a definitive production start date. On the Stern side, they snatched up the hottest fantasy theme since LOTR, they switched to a new system that can support hi-res video, they gave the world's best pinball designer two years to work on the project, Stern had recent hires of 3D people, and there were no surprises on what to expect from Hobbit, visually/gameplay/etc. because of their public updates. It only seemed obvious to me that GoT was going to be great. It might still be, but they could have sucked all the excitement out of TH with an LCD, comparable artwork, and being available sooner than TH.

Quoted from Chambahz:

So while you guys will likely still be whining and moaning, bragging that you know best, because you work in a field that's somehow related to design, I hope to be having fun playing this machine.

I still intend on playing one, I just won't be buying it. I bet it's fun, it's just not a looker so it has no place in my home. As a graphic designer I'm going to privilege the presentation over the gameplay when it comes to putting this huge thing in my house. Otherwise it'd be like me being an out-of-shape fitness trainer or being a barber with a terrible haircut.

#4847 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Well maybe not a room full.

That wasn't an unrealistic statement. I could fill a room full of arcade games for $4500.

In my area, many video arcades sell for about $600. Just looking on Craigslist right now, I could turn that money into: G-LOC ($500), Golden Tee ($550), Big Buck Hunter ($550), Area 51/Maximum Force combo unit ($750), Neo Geo with 161 game cart ($450), Hydro Thunder ($650), Ms. Pacman ($850), and a $150 slot machine. That's two sit-down drivers/cockpits, two gun games, one retro game, a golf game, the holy Neo Geo, and a slot machine. You could skip the slot machine and buy a 60-in-one board for more than just Ms. Pacman; there’s also a Battlezone available that could be bought in place of one of the other games.

This is just what's available right now if I wanted to blow that money right away. Like pinball, if I were to wait, I could get better deals or have a better selection of games. Instead of Area 51, there’s sure to be a Point Blank or Time Crisis, instead of G-LOC could be Cruis’n USA, BBH could be replaced by X-Men, Simpsons, whatever.

The video arcade fans have it good these days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xxvii.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=xxvii and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.