image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#130 8 years ago

What is this GOT everyone is talking about?

I'm definitely interested to see what comes of this, but can't imagine I'll be able to justify the cost. That coupled with some of the QC issues that pop-up now and then from NIB Stern games, such as cabinet decals falling off, I'm not sure I'd want to be in on the first ones off the line.

I would want some good cabinet and playfield art, and callouts from the show are a must. I don't care about LCD vs. DMD. I actually like pixel/dot art. I doubt they'd do it, but if they did higher resolution dot art on an LCD, that would be cool.

How long do titles tend to stay available NIB from distributors after release? Would it be safe to assume a Pro could be purchased NIB a year from now?

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from charliebrown2417:

Granted, I've never seen GOT, but I think its obvious that stern is trying to beat JJP by copying them.

Why not give the show a try? There's a reason it's immensely popular.

GOT as a theme has been successfully branched out into other media, too, like video games and board games, that I don't know that Hobbit has been as successful at. From a theme and popularity perspective, GOT is the winner in my opinion, and it's still an ongoing series that has a potential to end up with an even greater fan-base.

As far as I'm concerned, I watched Hobbit in the theaters long ago. I may buy extended editions when they come out in a decently priced set, but I'm not excited about the theme anymore, and definitely not as happy with the film series as I am with LOTR. Stern is making a good move cashing in on the growing popularity and steam behind GOT and I don't think it has anything to do with Hobbit.

Though if the argument is that you can only own 1 new fantasy pin, then fine, why not put out a title that can directly compete with your rival? Sounds like great move to me.

Now one thing I do think is that GOT will limit Stern's ability to put out a LOTR VE, at least any time soon. That would be ridiculous because they'd be competing with themselves, again, from just the owning one fantasy themed pin perspective, but also the limited cash of pinball collectors.

#538 8 years ago

I'd like there to be some mode, maybe a Red Wedding mode, that has "The Rains of Castamere" playing in the background.

Probably just a musical score, but maybe the lyrical version could work...

As long as we're on the topic of Hobbit theme vs. GOT, I think GOT wins in the music department. I don't remember anything from Hobbit at this point, and that's not the case with even LOTR where music from that comes into my head on a very regular basis (even had "Concerning Hobbits" in my wedding). GOT, of course, has the main theme that any fan remembers and a few other notable tracks, but mainly the opening theme (also in my wedding... ).

#1008 8 years ago

So far I'm not seeing anything that makes me think I want to spend money to own this game... If they can't win me over with this theme, I don't think they have a chance with any game.

1 week later
#2992 8 years ago
Quoted from Silver:

They're entirely almost British, but many of the actors/characters have different accents from different regions so I can understand the confusion. On the positive side, as an Englishman, the accent on call outs won't raise any flags to me because I hear so many different dialects in the show anyway.

Does it seem to you at least that within a certain region in the show that they kept the regional accent consistent? I wonder how much thought goes into that. Being that Americans are the show runners, I bet they just hear any British accent and shout, "Perfect!"

There is actually a northern British accent, though, right? I remember them mentioning it in Doctor Who when Christopher Eccleston was The Doctor ("Why do you have a northern accent?"). Did they at least get that one right in GOT? Seems like those in the north should be using it.

Of course, then you've got the foreigners doing British accents. Do those sound bad to you? Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) is American and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) is Danish.

Oh, and just for some on topic posting: I continue to think the artwork sucks...

#3425 8 years ago

What is that voice!? "Ball 3 locked!"
Sounds like a generic American!

#3428 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Now I'm only one square away from Bingo...

Pinside_Bingo.png

Do you still need grammar police?

Quoted from pezpunk:

i think preorder slots are still available...

The "i" in the beginning of your sentence should be capitalized.

#3572 8 years ago
Quoted from generica:

HBO and AMC, for Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, have these kind of products - the TellTale games for example - just not their STERN pinball machines.

From all other GOT licenced merchandise, I'm not seeing anything that looks bad like the pinball machine. There's even a lot of visual variety out there. A lot of what I'm seeing doesn't even utilize photographs of actors. That's why I'm inclined to think HBO isn't that strict with the license and the poor choices are all Stern.

#3781 8 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

A nice view from the top of the dragon. Looks like there are more plastics around the door as well to give it more of a castle feel.
Top Down of Dragon.jpg
Some more detail of the battering ram as well:
Battering Ram.jpg

Haha, I notice in that first pic that they took the picture at an angle so that the dragon covers up the red skittle thing with the incorrect shadow that some were complaining about. Hey, don't look at the mistake, here's a dragon!

#3784 8 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

That's not an "incorrect Shadow"

Either way, I just thought up a mod to correct it! Glue on a correctly sized red cabochon. I want credit when Stern starts shipping them with these.

Flat-Back-cabochon-ruby-stones-#8-red-stones.jpgFlat-Back-cabochon-ruby-stones-#8-red-stones.jpg

#3806 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I just have to laugh at some of the photoshop-obsessed here that are suggesting they won't buy a machine because they are unhappy with Stern's use of photoshop style tools..... lol....

I think the issue, at least for me, is that they're wanting me to pay $7k and they're selling something that looks like it was done by an amateur. I shouldn't have any complaints in a $7k game or it's probably not worth my money.

I'd honestly be hard pressed to spend that much even if it was perfect in every way, but really all they've done is make is so that I don't feel like I'm missing anything by skipping out on a NIB purchase.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not only complaining about the poor Photoshop effects, but the entire art package, and mainly the PF. As a huge fan of the show, nothing about overall visual incorporation of the theme on the PF makes me want this pin. They came up with gears and chains that have nothing to do with the show and put them all over the place. It looks like crap.

#3812 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Then it sounds like you were really NEVER a buyer in the first place.

At least you're being honest....

I wouldn't have said NEVER when the theme was officially announced. It might have been a bit of a struggle to justify, but it's well within the realm of possibility that I could save up enough for a NIB. I might have been able to justify it. It's a dream theme for me, after all.

But on visuals alone, I'm ok with saying that I absolutely would not/will not be buying this game. I guess for me to spend that kind of money I'd need all of the following:
-A theme I love - Check!
-Fun game - Who knows at this point? I'm easy to please in this area.
-Good art package - Nope!
-Good theme integration - In some respects that goes back to the art package, but would also include DMD visuals and audio. This aspect fails already for me because of a bad art package, so the rest won't matter to me at this point.

I'll stick to spending $20 on a perfect example of GOT theme integration in the video game by Telltale Games, and I'll sit and wonder why the pin couldn't have been as good.

#4216 8 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but it looks a lot like the old Pirates! game.
I played the crap out of that game in the early 90s.

maxresdefault.jpg

My initial thought when I saw the video mode was the sword fighting in Secret of Monkey Island!

#4248 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Likely because he is aware of the images supplied to them in the style guides, and nothing of that cabinet is from there.

I'll admit that I have no knowledge of how HBO is restricting images for the pin, but I just find it so hard to believe they're being super restrictive with Stern and basically no one else who makes licensed products.

In quick google search for "Game of Thrones merchandise", I can't find much of anything that contains stock character photos.

Even their blu-ray sets packaging lack character photos. The exception is the first season with Ned Stark sitting on the throne, but that's an awesome image and they weren't trying to overpopulate the cover with every main character.

I just find it very hard to believe that HBO had much opinion about what images should be used and whose pictures should be mashed up with whose on the various versions of the pin.

They licensed freakin' bobble-heads! They're obviously ok with reinterpreting the character images.

#4285 8 years ago

Swing and a miss!

NO YGRITTE!!???

I can't think of any reason that dark-haired wildling woman needs to be present on this game at all. She was in what, 2 episodes?

They're really digging deep to try to put some sex appeal on this one...

Also that's some boring composition on the translite...

Whelp, I was already out due to the PF art, but this Premium cabinet art doesn't do anything to make up for it, so I'm still out.

#4291 8 years ago

Ah, didn't realize they did new PF artwork. I'm still not thrilled with it. They replaced a bad photoshop effect with a generic chain-mail texture?

Meh, still filled with dumb gears and chains.

I'm definitely still out.

I'll quit raining on the GOT pin love that others apparently have.

Quoted from cooked71:

PF art changed....

Not to anything good... I guess some people are easy to please.

#4304 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You can't deny it's an improvement though.

I'll admit, it's better. But not good enough. That exact PF without the gears and chains, just replaced with blue, would have maybe been acceptable.

#4376 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

man i don't know... younger yes. maybe prettier face, maybe. but...
This image got 2 "unsafe" tags and has been hidden automatically, as per your settings. un-hidetumblr_m62zjna6BJ1qdwlcm.png 2
This image got 2 "unsafe" tags and has been hidden automatically, as per your settings. un-hideGame-of-Thrones_S02E02_Carice-Van-Houten_naked_3.png 2

Are we seeing the same pictures!? Emilia Clarke is the clear winner in this aspect to me!

#4499 8 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Wow you guys are quick to forgive. That playfield art is 95% as terrible as the other version.

For real... Oh, they fixed one terribly amateur issue on the PF, now I'll drop the big bucks!

If people genuinely like the way it looks, far be it for me to try to dissuade them, but I think you high roller NIB buyers have too low of standards for items of this price. Stern's not going to have any motivation to do anything differently if all they have to have is a popular license that's poorly executed.

An amateur graphic artist who is a huge fan of GOT could have done a better job of visually integrating this theme using the assets provided by HBO and they'd probably have worked for peanuts or a NIB...

#4658 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Don't let pinball deteriorate and become trash. Don't listen to people who think ART and PINBALL are two different things. Like (lowepg) for example who do not think ART is important.

Stern could just release a whitewood for their next pin. Apparently people will still spend thousands on it.

There are 2 camps I completely don't understand, and maybe it's because I'm not at the same income level.

1. People who will buy a NIB without any personal connection to the theme.

2. People who will buy a NIB because of the theme, regardless of any other factors, including bad art.

Like I said, maybe it's income level. I'd be willing to pay maybe 1k for the GOT pin I'm seeing, and I'd ignore the art and other superficial issues I have with it.

It's conceivable that many in this hobby make 5x or more than I do, so maybe my 1k is your 5k? I guess that would make sense.

#4698 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

I think everyone was expecting more, but it will still be a great game to own/play.

Why pay for something if it's not what you were expecting? I'm not trolling here. I'm genuinely curious why the mentality exists that you're still willing to pay for something that's not meeting your expectations. Why would Stern ever put effort into meeting expectations if people still buy?

#4702 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

This will probably be the only GoT pinball ever, take it or leave it, I doubt they'll make another one. Maybe, it's possible, we've seen new art packages years later on other games, but are you willing to take that gamble? It's hard to meet everyone's expectations, I guess they built the game they thought they could sell.

I accept that this is the only official GOT pin that likely ever will exist, but that doesn't mean just because I love the theme and pinball that I HAVE to buy it simply because it exists. The fact that it's the only GOT pin makes it that much more disappointing that it doesn't meet my expectations. Based on the titles released over the past few years, there won't be another pinball theme that resonates with me like this one for a good long while. Simply put, Stern didn't earn my money with this one.

Quoted from Aurich:

I own Sterns, but that doesn't make my opinion more valid.

I own some classic Sterns. Maybe I get a seat at the kids table.

#4708 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

Because the premium edition is on par with similar releases from Stern at a price point I feel better about. If they resold ACDC today I would buy it even though it doesn't have an LCD and the art package doesnt blow me away.
Stern Premium is $1,500-2,000 cheaper than JJP. Wish is wasn't so.

Still not trolling, just trying to understand. So the argument is that since it's on par with other NIB Sterns, then it's good enough to buy? Is it simply the fact that you want NIB and Stern is the only one in your price range?

#4714 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

So why did you pick the games in your lineup? Could you afford the Game of Thrones pinball machine you had envisioned if they were charging $8,000-8,500 for it?

Most games in my lineup are there because they were either cheap and local or a game I wanted that was semi local and fairly priced.

I probably have less than a current premium Stern invested in my entire collection.

Could I afford 8-8.5k? Maybe not. It would have to be something truly amazing and worth giving up my entire collection + cash for.

#4776 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

You say your not trolling fine but being that you have never bought a 21 century pin questioning other people on how they spend their money is out of line

Buddy, that was a conversation with someone else asking him about his motivations for purchasing something he admitted wasn't what he expected.

My purchasing history has nothing to do with my ability to purchase a Stern NIB. It's not an inability to afford it that's keeping me from buying it. It's that it doesn't meet my expectations.

So only people who are existing Stern buyers can have an opinion on future releases? Stern doesn't need new buyers?

#4778 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I love the show, but without bad mouthing, let me just say I have zero interest in this game based on the art and game play videos.

Better watch out. This thread is turning into a GOT fanclub and you're no longer allowed to post that you don't like the game.

Oh, but you own some modern Sterns. Maybe your opinion will matter to more people than mine.

#4786 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Here's what I don't get. If I didn't like this game I would've drained this thread weeks ago.

Speaking personally as someone who probably meets your description: Premium was only just revealed and there are some ongoing conversations I've been a part of.

I can still enjoy participating in discussions and seeing what gets revealed.

Maybe a part of me still wants to be convinced it's something I'd be interested in...

#4929 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

What he is talking about is the cabinet art.
Jody said that was always planned.
But the playfield was indeed changed at the last minute to help with all the feedback they had received about the art.

I wonder if there would be any risk of showing approved concept images well before they run them so they have more time to listen to feedback.

It seems like sourcing opinions from the target market and making improvements based on that feedback would result in more sales. Obviously there are people who don't care about artwork, so Stern has them in the bag, but if they wanted to expand sales, seems like being more open during the development process might lead to that.

#4949 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

I was going to upvote your post till you took this little jab at people. I doubt there's anyone here that "doesn't care about artwork." It's just not the end all deciding factor for some.

It wasn't meant as a jab. People have admitted they don't care about the art, or they're not in it for the art, and are only interested in how a game plays. If people still buy, in spite of not liking the artwork (or have a general indifference to it), I'd say that's the definition of not caring about it (or not caring enough about it that it affects the decision to buy).

Anyway, Stern's not changing anything for those people.

My point was that there are obviously people who will not buy games due to not liking the art, so it seems in Stern's best interest to cater to both groups.

1 week later
#5277 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

And nobody cares if you'll buy this pin.

I care...

I think the desire to purchase is one aspect of the overall opinion someone can have about a game. If the argument is that all these people are trashing a game they haven't played, here's a guy who played it and his impression was lackluster to the point where he doesn't think he'll buy.

How is that not a valid opinion to express here? Are people only supposed to post that they love the game after playing, but be silent if the opinion is lukewarm or negative?

I'm still interested in reading all opinions from people who have played, both bad and good.

#5447 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Perhaps you are right. We will have a new version of BK with a few images and motives from the GoT show.
This game will play fast and good from what we saw in the stream. It will have interesting rules, but I get more and more concerned about if it will have enough GoT in it to respect the theme. The artwork is what it is but I read here that STERN wasn't even allowed to show blood on the swords of the playfield.
I think even with more added to the code it will end as a tame family and child friendly version of GoT and in the end there won't be much left from the original show. I would like to know the fools that are working for HBO that are behind those dumb restrictions.

Yeah, HBO cares about blood in officially licensed merchandise...

http://teesontap.com/t-shirts/tv-show-t-shirts/game-of-thrones-t-shirts/game-of-thrones-bloody-stark-direwolf-sigil-north-remembers-official-t-shirt-sheer/

There seems to be a lot of forgiveness for Stern for the way things turned out visually, with the assumption that HBO is the cause. I don't see what looks like a stifling license holder in any other GOT merchandise. If it is the case, I wonder why a pin needs more restrictions than other merchandise.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.