image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tubes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#460 8 years ago

Who says Lyman isn't on GoT? Ye of little faith, know that a Steve Game is best when accompanied by LFS on software. Why would Stern or HBO want the game to not be as good as possible? Steve is happiest when working with Lyman. Who out there wants Steve less happy while designing the game? Sounds like sabotage.

#463 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

RobT hates mini-playfields! There may be two in GoT! I'm guessing suddenly they aren't that bad...

I could definitely see Steve going "Black Knight 3000" with the layout. He likes to revisit and improve on his proven layouts, but the multi-layer Steve Ritchie medieval style is one we've been missing for some time now.

#467 8 years ago

In his Topcast interview, one of the things Steve seemed to be the most proud of on WPT was the fact that his upper playfield didn't take away any lower-playfield real estate. Maybe something like that.

Then again, he also said he can't have that many stops since "I'm the 'King of Flow', that's what they call me isn't it...and they're right."

#575 8 years ago

DVD is the appropriate medium for watching SD television shows shot on videotape.

#581 8 years ago

DVD is analog video stored digitally. BluRay is real digital HD video sized right for your HD screen, with all the colors right and light on the compression. Costs more than DVD, licenses.

#587 8 years ago

Like the guy above said, it's meant for 480i "small screen" analog TVs. It's stripes of RGB color that get blasted across your TV at lightspeed.

#589 8 years ago

Just remember that 4K video is coming to BluRay soon, and after it 8K video will come (presumably to some sort of futuristic disc medium).

#592 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

First of all, DVD is 480p. Second of all, a movie which was recorded with either a digital or analog medium can end up on DVD or Blu Ray. DVD is not "analog stored on a digital disk"

DVD is not 480p, it is 480i. I deinterlace content myself and you seem to trust your video playing device to do so. I would not watch a movie that was recorded on film or high definition video on a DVD since it is inferior. DVD is not analog video stored on a disc in the same way as LaserDisc - the analog video on a DVD is stored digitally. LaserDisc is different than 1s and 0s.

#612 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

So nobody has any leaked pics? We may as well just put the closed sign on the door of this thread and come back Tuesday.

Just a lot of people in other threads hinting that they've seen the layout and they're "not impressed" or they've seen the features matrix and "wow Pro buyers are getting screwed". In other words, sour grapes.

#624 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I missed the lot of people that are hinting that they've seen the layout and they're "not impressed". Can you give us a link? Haven't seen anything like this here.

Let me do some more searching for you I am diligently complying with your command. Still looking for two other posts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-game-of-thrones-le-now-taking-deposits/page/2#post-2661027

#636 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I didn't ask about the cost cutting of the pro. I asked for a link to someone that had seen the layout and was unimpressed. I still can't find such a post. And I think you have made this up!!! I am sry if I am wrong.

I know that I didn't make it up and I'm not sorry for what I think about you.

#723 8 years ago

Real UHD broadcast and media standards have already been finalized at 8K resolution though, and 12-bit per color (R, G, B) depth. I can't get on this 4K 10-bit per color 1.08 billion color nonsense when I could have four times the resolution and over 4 trillion colors onscreen at once. Just imagine how many of those are blacks and shades of grey....

Quoted from jetspeedb:

But who cares GoT is coming !

Also tangentially relevant since GoT itself is shot in only 4K digital.

#883 8 years ago

Let's just hope that the Pro doesn't have graphical changes designed to put us off our feed and drive us to the Premium/LE lest we be sickened...like on AC/DC with Angus leering at us.

I don't think I could stand the "Dirty Dany" Pro featuring book-inspired artwork as opposed to television, with Daenerys crouching and going about her extremely graphic diarrhea bout (cliffhanger of book V). Not the insert I'm looking for.

#924 8 years ago

Stern is on Central Time right? Expecting full reveal in 34 minutes, any further delay is simply them shining us on.

#1695 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

A bit of Facebook gold. Stern is still A+ in the social media department.
oob.png

Someone needs to get them the Business section, I can check out how Williams is doing in the NASDAQ under SGC.

#1713 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Here's some larger images of the "hand-drawn" LE art:
got-le-backbox.jpg

I guess that shuts up the people who were claiming it would be "Game of Wieners"...that's way too many eunuchs to feature on an LE translite.

#1785 8 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

Missandei. Given that Jorah and Daario are on the sides of the backbox, who else would you want in a Targaryen LE? Old man Sir Barriston? Thought people had enough of that with AC/DC...

Aegon I and his sisters.

#1827 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I started reading the books like 15 years ago and by the time the newer books come out I forgot half the stuff that that is going on.

One thing that gets me is how larger-than-life and colorful everything is in the book. It gets filtered through the lens of the show's producers and we get a realistic-type representation of these places and people. Then this interpretation is re-interpreted into a somewhat dull artwork package for the pinball.

I guess that's the difference between ASoIaF and GoT. Could have been an insane art package; some of the things amateur artists have come up with based on inspiration from the story itself are just the over-the-top insanity needed in a pinball machine.
strong_belwas_featuring_spoilers_by_sir_heartsalot-d50i8a8.jpgstrong_belwas_featuring_spoilers_by_sir_heartsalot-d50i8a8.jpg

#1837 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

And lest I mention the castle. It looks like an awesome playfield with full flippers and inlanes! But Game of Thrones is not about fighting dragons in castles (at least not for the first 5 seasons or first 5 books). I would have themed that playfield about fighting whitewalkers, which is one item that is very specific GOT but just doesn't exist except for backboard art... I don't think the designers understand how core it is to the series. No ships either... Just a castle, or in the case of the Pro, a random castle door in the middle of nowhere.
This whole package smacks of a generic medieval theme, and a real turn-off for fans of the show or the books, as it obviously lacks most details of the show, and there isn't even enough to call it a sufficient generic D&D effort either. Just last month we were debating how difficult it would be for Stern to put 500 hours of TV/4000 pages of plot into this game, and it turns out they punted on all the content. It's the worst of all worlds for fans.

They couldn't put in the battle vs. the wight walker zombies as the upper playfield element on their generic medieval game to which they tacked on a show license since they'd just made a generic zombie game and then tacked on the show license.

#1945 8 years ago

Maybe it's a situation like with JJP and Peter Jackson / the license-holder...issuing commands that the pinball team be disallowed from having a ball ever come into contact with the invulnerable Smaug.

In this case, HBO clearly instructed Stern that the pinball table itself could not interact with the player's eyes in a pleasing way.

#1968 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

- Midget character is the best one on the show. Really should've had him do the custom speech for the machine.

He was the voice of the computer AI in the new smash hit video game Destiny. His work was pulled from the game and replaced by a generic actor due to his performance being so horrible and fans' violent reaction. Probably the actor with the worst reputation in gaming voice work right now.

#2139 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'll be honest, I was one of the ones that reported it. His comment doesn't belong on Pinside. There is a time and place for everything, and he got it wrong this time.
If you've got a problem with my stance on it, or want to call me a whiny bitch, you are welcome to take it up with me.

Sometimes people can feign disgust in order to get rid of unpleasant opinions, or paint criticisms as threats in order to hide having been embarrassed by powerful satire. Some post-reporters have dual motives.

#2208 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

If Freres is going to take another stab at the playfield art, then I hope he puts away Photoshop and illustrates the whole thing. He's a really talented artist and did a lot of really great playfields, but he needs to put down the mouse and pick up the pen again.
(Edit: I say this under the impression that he was responsible for the current GoT playfield. That's what I've been led to believe so far.)

Was the playfield really designed with Photoshop raster graphics rather than Illustrator-style vector graphics? Are there pixels all over the playfield rather than clean lines and color? Nothing that could be accomplished by hand couldn't be accomplished via Illustrator. One requires artistic vision to actually see something through though.

#2232 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

I agree that you could do anything in software that you could do by hand, and in reality, when I say Freras should illustrate it, I would expect him in this day and age to be using a pen (stylus on tablet) in Illustrator. I think the problem is that the software more easily allows for shortcuts.
When you need a sword on the playfield, you could draw it, but you could also just grab a sword from the Internet and paste it into place. Great time-saver, but you're limited to whatever perspective the sword photo was shot at, which puts limits on your vision and your capability to express it. We see a lot of this kind of copying in this playfield. The swords were from GoT product shots, the archers were slightly altered from MM, a handful of different gears were duplicated all over the place nonsensically, goin coin clipart. Rather than make a nice illustration for the big prominent shield in the center of the playfield, they used an angle gradient. And so on.
Where there were savings in time, there was loss in uniqueness and quality. I think if the artist had to buckle done and work over each detail slowly by hand, it would have resulted in a superior product. Photoshop and Illustrator give a lot of opportunity to rush without considering much for each individual component, and I think without discipline to prevent that, the product will suffer.

Python said this has been going on since his earliest days in video games and pinball. Many respected "artists" were simply tracing, even back then. He didn't name names, but I wonder if a tracer today is a tracer in days past. Python didn't trace. There are Copycats, and there are Crazycats.

#2246 8 years ago

With people mentioning Hearthstone and all the previous Angry Birds rumors, one could believe that the license was tacked onto a mobile game-themed pin. Art looks like when people play that tablet card game Hearthstone that millions of people are addicted to for some reason.

Warcraft downvoters? Let me clarify. Hearthstone is garbage, Blizzard is garbage, MtG is superior and rules you, Blizzard only knows how to rip off real man gaming studios like Games Workshop. Hit me.

#2273 8 years ago

I like the rumor that suggests the Premium playfield art will be completely different and superior. Also not really understanding the comparisons to Star Trek which is Steve's classic 3 flipper Picard Maneuver layout.

#2293 8 years ago

Let's throw some flippers on this bad boy and we've got ourselves a Hobbit-killer.
2372636-stormwind.jpg2372636-stormwind.jpg

#2295 8 years ago
Quoted from wspy:

I would be the first to celebrate but I can't imagine they would do that... Who's going to purchase a LE...?

Exactly 700 people before the Premium art package / playfield is revealed I imagine.

#2487 8 years ago

Full damage control mode. Looks like the red / white / blue lights at the back of the cabinet are an homage / tribute to F-14.

#2505 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Now we are just nitpicking. Why wouldn't red white n blue work? What color fits black/total darkness?

Some sort of precise-frequency ultraviolet light designed to make the invisible ink by means of which the REAL playfield art is printed show up.

3 weeks later
#4793 8 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Take it to the moderator thread bub. If I were being douchey, I'd report you to the mods for calling out the mods. Robs a big boy, he knows what he's getting into when he calls me out. Let the big boys play, Junior.

Alright so you're a troll AND a snitch. Keep up the ad hominem attacks, I'm sure you'll make it through with impunity again.

#4800 8 years ago

Everyone's just too positive about GoT now—and now all that positive and righteous hatred that you want to be transfigured by our passionate arguments is just grating to people who've taken the Kool-Aid...you missed the glorious crusade of dumping on GoT and now no one wants to hear it anymore. Maybe some gameplay on an LE or Premium would cure everything. Try not to think of Advent Calenders while you look at the Premium.

#4838 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

...SR is awesome but I don't hold much value in terms of his signature or any designers...

It seems like whatever one makes of the value of pinball designer signatures, Steve Ritchie does the most to make his available. If the signature is what makes the extra $1300, one could put it elsewhere on the machine for less.

http://www.steveritchiepinball.com

#4902 8 years ago

Don't forget btw75.

While Brienne is tall, she is also outstandingly loyal, strong, and somewhat dimwitted (lunkish if you will). Such references to her in the books or show are clues to her true heritage...even if it means course language sometimes.

#4915 8 years ago

Space Invaders cellophane technology?

1 week later
#5270 8 years ago

Aquarium forums are hardcore. Big money, big setups, illegal fish, big egos.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tubes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=tubes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.