image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

No preorder. I will buy the second premium release that will be cooler than the original LEs and the code will be almost done. Cant wait for GOT next Spring.

My thoughts exactly.

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

I'm really interested to see the level of interactivity that exists with the dragon. Eating balls? Spitting balls?

What if the dragon head is just a reiteration of Gene's massive noggin? I hope they come up with something better than a ball eating/spitting dragon. That's been talked so much to death re: hobbit that it doesn't even sound interesting anymore imo. Just a JP rehash.

#2032 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

"Earn gold and spend it on needed weapons and features"? No one in GoT is trying to earn gold to get weapons, it's like the designers are treating this game as a generic D&D platform. This is a good example of the root cause behind the negative reaction - the entire package doesn't feel like Game of Thrones.
In a series with so many characters, picking 3 characters for a translite is an odd choice, on most pins Stern splatters the backglass and cabinets with hoards of characters, and it would be far more interesting than picking 3. On the LE they chose Daenarys/Kahl Drogo/Missandei. Like Eddard Stark, Drogo was a series starter but no real lasting impact... Missandei is a better choice because she persists, but why leave out the likes of Mormont, Sir Barriston, and Gray Worm? The entire LE cabinet is 1 dragon, mirrored on each side... can they be even less inspired? For starters, there are 3 dragons...it's a very important detail that says "this is GOT not The Hobbit."
I do like that Stern makes an effort to keep actor faces off the playfields, but the playfield severely lacks artistic vision and detail. Even POTC (which it reminds me of) is also sparse and sand colored but has a touch of artistic flair. The plain grey background behind the shields is the biggest cop-out I've seen, and as mentioned previously shouldn't they be banners? Again this isn't a generic Medieval theme with knights and shields, it's Game of Thrones with families raising banners. And the gears? enough said about that.
And lest I mention the castle. It looks like an awesome playfield with full flippers and inlanes! But Game of Thrones is not about fighting dragons in castles (at least not for the first 5 seasons or first 5 books). I would have themed that playfield about fighting whitewalkers, which is one item that is very specific GOT but just doesn't exist except for backboard art... I don't think the designers understand how core it is to the series. No ships either... Just a castle, or in the case of the Pro, a random castle door in the middle of nowhere.
This whole package smacks of a generic medieval theme, and a real turn-off for fans of the show or the books, as it obviously lacks most details of the show, and there isn't even enough to call it a sufficient generic D&D effort either. Just last month we were debating how difficult it would be for Stern to put 500 hours of TV/4000 pages of plot into this game, and it turns out they punted on all the content. It's the worst of all worlds for fans.
It still may be fun to play, but if this is the result of 2 years worth of design and research into Game of Thrones, I'm seriously baffled. Now the burden is on Dwight Sullivan to capture the core of the series in the software... so there's still a chance!

Best analysis yet.

1 week later
#3088 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think i actually like the white walker back art over the throne room. Although they probably did that cause how out of place the new throne toy would look next to white walkers. I wonder if they would be able to fit the throne over the pops between the ramps kind of where it is on the LE. thats where i pictured it in my head it should have been this whole time.

That new throne looks ridiculous. And yes, they've now removed the best art on the Pro.

#3158 8 years ago
Quoted from BradKreisler:

No no...Put the white walker ON the throne...like uncle fester. Then everyone will be happy!

I think the White Walker looking at the throne would portend some serious shite. Too bad the throne looks like serious shite.

1 week later
#3878 8 years ago

Kinda seems a little like IM layout. Only with killer "clockwork gears" artwork! Should be called "the clockmaker".

#4009 8 years ago

Really hoping there are callouts on the various shots when you're in a mode, to set a mood? LOTR is, quite simply, the standard bearer in this regard. Because unless you feel like you're on a true quest...you're just shooting blinkey lights.

Flow looks good. Game looks...kinda boring right now.

#4253 8 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

I think that there is definitely some potential here as well. I was mulling over the video mode last night and wondering why I wasn't getting that "Game of Thrones vibe" from that mode with as much sword fighting is in the actual show/books. I'd venture to say that there is a sword fighting sequence (even if it's just practice sparring) in every episode.
I think that if they can code scene depictions from the show, I think there there is a lot of potential for that mode to be cool. Rather than take the "You don't haaave to play the mode if you don't want to.." approach and just dismiss it as people will never play that mode--code it so that people want to pick that mode every time.
Imagine if that mode was coded to depict the sword training between Jon Snow and the rest of the Watch at Castle Black.
Jon Snow Sword Training.jpg
Or better yet, what if you code many different sword fighting sequences that spawn depending on what house mode you are pursuing? Say for example, the sword training between Ayra Stark and Syrio Forel?
Arya Start and Syrio Forel.jpg
Or when Jamie Lannister battles Ned Stark?
Ned Stark and Jamie Lannister Sword Battle.png
We could probably pick 3 good examples from every house (whether you are playing as that particular house, or whether you are trying to complete that house mode). If they were to sort of take the sword fighting scenes and make it "stop motion" and add in some custom animation to the sequence, this mode has the potential to be pretty awesome and one that people would opt to play more often.

And imagine it with full HD video on an LCD.

#4454 8 years ago

Ain't no bitches on the backglass!

#4603 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

While I do prefer the premium PF and the Translight art. I'm going to sit this one out. Unless it turns out to be as good as AcDc then I'd get a premium down the road.
But the cabinet artwork is just lazy and poor choice of characters, it's like they just picked 7 images and that's that. Nothing like a scene or a reason for having those characters. I mean a wildling girl but not Ned Stark? There are lots of characters in the north, dozens but they pick a few who are tangential or fleeting to the main story.
Anyway pure drivel and laziness by Stern, I'm underwhelmed.
Now if it's a top20 game and plays well down the road, I'll buy it, but the art package kicks it on the dirt IMO.
I'm in a wait and see mode.
Con list
No shaker
No color Dmd
No power coated armor and legs
That's another $1000 I need to add
More cons
Too many Gears
Too many Video mode

1000% agree. FOUR (!) characters duped on cab and head. WTF? F Stern. Freaking cavalier.

#4736 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Or, in this particular case, what *not* to like.

The art. No LCD. Random shit like a roman numeral clock in the dots. Video rips. The video mode (for some). Dearth of cool toys. Samo fan layout. Huge discrepancy between pro and premium/LE. Cost cutting like pegs, switch on backbox, peeling decals (not yet, granted), most likely shitty QC (too many examples from all recent titles to dismiss). Unpredictable code that may never get finished. How's that for starters?

#4738 8 years ago

Did some thing just say something?

#4745 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Go away troll.

Oh it's trollish now to criticize GOT? Sorry, I didn't get the memo. Gameplay video! All is well!

I'm not participating in some happy circle jerk just cause they now half assed the Premium art too. But jerk away. You're an expert.

#4764 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Sure. Playing it was an eye-opener to me. Watching others playing it was instructive too.

Im thrilled at the positive gameplay and code reports. We all know how crucial that is. Many thing can be overlooked with good gameplay and good code. For me, this is the second pin in the last three that have really underwhelmed at release. TWD being the other. TWD code, by all accounts, hit a home run, but that doesn't totally wash away a botched license (Lymons words) in my eyes.

With GoT, the Premium art on the cab, head and translate just seems like another WTF. Two Jon Snow heads right next to each other, multiple character duplicates, some poor character choices in general. I realize the art topic has been beat to death, but not yet for the Premium. And let the beating begin I say. Art is the single most thing I remember from the games of my youth (60's, 70's and 80's). Sure I can remember my favorite machines to play, but I can remember scores more of machines just for the art. It was captivating, inviting, thrilling and, in many ways MY introduction to the world of art. I'm not going to be zipped lipped about the Premium just because Stern supposedly "tried"? We don't know that.

I'm glad people are coming around to this machine. The more Stern sells the more other titles will become available in the secondary market, and then, once I've played GoT myself I too can decide how I like it. I already know I don't like (most of) the art. Hardly makes me a troll.

#4769 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Don't try to bullshit a bullshitter, troll.
You even criticize the code...on a pin that you've never played. What exactly is it about the rules on GOT that you don't like?
That's right, you have no clue. Which further confirms that your post was nothing more than trolling.

The honest truth Rob is that I had $12k waiting to spend on two titles and GOT was a dream theme for me. But uh-uh, not happy about the reveal so far. I hope to God that it's a real player with fantastic code...but NOONE knows that yet. I would have bought TWD too, but they borked the theme IMO and I don't love the gameplay enough to overlook that.

Part 2: I honestly am very hesitant to buy any NIB Stern with thread after thread being opened relating all the QC issues with new Sterns. Do they not care or are they just being careless? Does it matter? These machines are not trivial expenses for me, and I for one have no current incentive to blow top $ on a company that seems to shoot itself in the foot ALOT of late.

So I took some cash and bought a Dirty Harry. Love the game. Cool layout, some nice features, decent, finished code...and for a fraction of the cost of a new Stern. Guess what? I think the art and artistic quality of the playfield SUCKS on DH! And if it was released today for $4,800 I'd say so and probably not buy it. But I also like the cab and Translite art, so it's not all bad. I'm not just complaining, I'm voting with my wallet.

#4789 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

C'mon mods. How is the above not a direct attack on Rob? Telling him to jerk away and that he's an expert at circle jerking? Perfect example of wishy washy selective moderating.

Take it to the moderator thread bub. If I were being douchey, I'd report you to the mods for calling out the mods. Robs a big boy, he knows what he's getting into when he calls me out. Let the big boys play, Junior.

#4790 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

snatch an alien le and their next playfield that comes out...

Believe me, it's being strongly considered. Another dream theme and with the openness and transparency of Heighway - literally sharing info on their playfield revisions, art ideas, toy ideas etc. - it will be a pleasure supporting them if they release a game I like.

#4796 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Speaking personally as someone who probably meets your description: Premium was only just revealed and there are some ongoing conversations I've been a part of.
I can still enjoy participating in discussions and seeing what gets revealed.
Maybe a part of me still wants to be convinced it's something I'd be interested in...

And there you have it. Anyone that would have taken a second to consider the reasons would have figured it out. I held out on proactive participation until the Premium came out, and I'd still love to have my mind changed.

My son likes all the artwork for GoT. He's 10. He also said "it looks cartoony (playfield shield) but it's cool". I tried VERY hard to see the coolness through his eyes, but I keep seeing bad, cartoonish art, worse design choices and, outside the LE, totally mailed in Translites.

#4797 8 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

Alright so you're a troll AND a snitch. Keep up the ad hominem attacks, I'm sure you'll make it through with impunity again.

Quoted from RobT:

You're like Jekyl and Mr Hyde. If your original post was more along these lines I wouldn't have accused you of troll posting.

Once I've reviewed your style guide I'll know better!

You seem to be on board with the design and Twitch video reveal. I hope it works for you. Hell, I hope it works for me eventually.

#5036 8 years ago

This is a big time reveal. Will be great to see the upper playfield in action and the rules associated with it. Pro gameplay has gotten great reports but have to wonder if the wide open playfield will get old without something to bash or a side ramp to hit or other playfield distraction. The pro is going to live and die off the code set for long term playability.

#5120 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Sigh, you're wrong too.
While the iron throne is NOT made from Valeryian steel, the fan WAS correct that Valeryian steel CAN kill the walkers (along with dragon-glass).
Folks that are big fans should really try reading the books....it complements the excellent tv series.

+1 Did not Jon Snow kill a white walker with his Valeryian steel sword?

#5207 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

They are not determining if the game sucks... they are determining if THEY think the game sucks for them. And it will happen to you too. After the years roll by you get to understand what you like and don't like in games. At first it is all unicorns and show-ponies. Every game feels like the best game ever made. And then one day you are playing a game and not enjoying it. There is something about that sound, or that shot that doesn't do it for you. Or hey, why can't I see the ball around that corner the time that shot, I hate that. And all of a sudden you realize you don't like movement of the ball you cannot see while playing. Or you hate left orbit shots that stop at a post. You get to understand that there are not that many rule sets in pinball. They are variations of a style, and it is the implementation that can make them great.
So what people are seeing is things that may not work for them. Maybe the upper playfield blocks the view of the ball on the ramp. Maybe the ruleset is just "follow the lights" like Star Trek. What folks are saying is they see something in the game that doesn't fit in with their sensibilities. It is also why Stern is normally careful to not release games in the same rule style one after the other.
As for me, I wouldn't say the game sucks. However, from the video I've seen, it isn't a game I would actively buy right now (even though I am a big fan of the show). But maybe it ends up being the greatest game ever, and if it is, maybe I'll look at it down the road. But nobody can determine where this game will end up over time.

#5435 8 years ago

I hope the rules for the pro don't suffer too much by comparison. I'm not feeling the upper play field at all, and unlike most other games, where I'd pay extra for the light show, it doesn't feel appropriate for this theme. This ain't rock and roll, or outer space, or super duper heroes...where the candy colored explosion seems to fit. Honestly could probably buy the pro without a worry...except for that boring playfield art.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=thefamilyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.