image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballophobe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Wooooooo !!!'n

#646 8 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I believe this one was known about since Expo when JJP asked SR how it was coming along.
Biggest surprise to me about Kiss and GoT is the time it took to hit the market and the lack of the LCD screen on Kiss.
Odd that WWE was the first to use the LCD and Kiss was skipped.

I think the LCD on WWE is just to simulate the jumbo tron.

#708 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

PS - Sorry it took so long to respond to that post. But I'm in Canada. Need I say more? I'm too busy trying not to be eaten by grizzlies to post...

You should bring back some Lays potato chips. Butter chicken and Montreal smoked meat flavor. I heard you can't get that stuff down in the USA

#1140 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

If you compare the ST Pro and ST LE... esthetically they were close. Same thing with Kiss and TWD....when you looked at all models...they somewhat looked the same.
GOT Pro VS LE does not look the same at all! And that's because they took out the upper PF. Whic then takes out the throne, which then takes out out the Wall...
compare.jpg

I personally think they should just kill off the pro and sell strictly the prem n LE giving the play field differences from the pro.

But could you imagine how many ppl would complain about the prices and the art work who were never serious about laying the cash down to buy the game

#1293 8 years ago

I'll also like to add to this since Aurich hit the nail on the head. I'm not a wealthy collector and love pinball (took me 4 years to get enough scratch to buy ST and Tron and lots of man hours repairing other machines in order to get there). The LEs and Prem are out of my price zone. So I'm left with the Pro version that leaves a lot to be desired.
What I am trying to say is that a lot of home collectors wish they could afford LE / Prems but can't and settle for the PRO. Then Stern releases this PRO. Argh...

Wow.

So let me get this straight. U want the features of the prem/le but can't afford it so u complain
About the pro lacking features?

How much are JJP, Dutch, heighway games?

at least stern makes something at a lower starting price point to those with less disposable income

Honestly stern should have just released the game on a prem/le level at thier respective price points.

Then let me guess. Ppl would moan and complain about it being too expensive and stern are only catering to the "rich newbies" for greed

#1311 8 years ago

I think you got my point all wrong. I think Stern just blew the lower end of the home collector spectrum out of the market on this one. That's the point I was trying to make. I guess I could have worded it diffrentely.

I agree with you on this. But do u think it would have been remotely possible to give the features of the prem to the pro at a pro price point?

That upper playfield isn't like a st pro where it just a plastic ramp.

#1336 8 years ago

I agree but it just feels like the PRO is bare because the upper playfield is completely removed. Put something else there that serves a purpose but that's not full blown like the Prem/ LE layout.... give me something other that a big f*king gapping hole!!

I agree. It looks bare because it is bare.

#1413 8 years ago

I know it's not Stern's fault but would you pay $9K for a pro in this state? Answer truthfully. $5995 MSRP x 1.35 conversion x 1.13 taxes = $9145 and since we have all but one distributor in Canada deals are slim. Now would you buy the LE or PREM at respectively $11,500K and $13,400K? I can't even imagine what our friends in Australia and Europe are feeling right now!
Should Stern worry about the exchange rate...you bet your ass they should!

Truthfully I would not pay 13500 cnd for a LE. How ever. I live in Alberta so I only have to pay the gst. So that's at least 5% less than every other province

And if a company does better than the le $8900 usd mrsp price.

Then Truthfully for GOT. I would buy a LE
But Depending on how the prem looks I may go with a prem instead though

#1955 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Anyone else notice that the LE has three extra game feature inserts on the main Playfield that are just covered by weird shadows on the Pro?
image.jpg

This type of "spot of the differences " reminds of the bar table top game where u have 30 sec to pick out 6 differences in the 2 pics

#2063 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

My favorite part so far is how everybody's panties are in such a wad, they found that the archers were an exact copy, and threw that up as proof that this was just phoned in.
Later when it was explained to them that it's actually pretty cool; the same guy drew both, and it's a tip of the hat to a great machine from 20 years ago.... they find a way to twist that around and make that bad too
Haters gonna hate!
Keep it up guys, it's only been 24 hours, if you really try you can probably work yourself into an even BIGGER frenzy before you finally call your Distributor and order it!
This will probably be the first game people buy, and won't admit that they bought
Fat Chicks and Mopeds, am I right????

Did someone say moped???

I ride a moped/scooter

And I actually don't mind the artwork. And I'm thinking prem or LE. image.jpgimage.jpg

#2399 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The only downfall in that argument is that they now need to sell 50 more games to make up for the 5000 dollars I won't be sending them.
You can always make the argument that cutting $1 off of 1000 machines saves like... a thousand bucks. But we are talking $5000 machines. Removing and cost cutting in some areas doesn't have that much impact. I don't like the peg legs on my games when I work on them, but it isn't a catastrophe. And I have to admit I don't mind the snap latch lockdown bar (less "fitting" issues with it). But then snip off an entire playfield? Something that will probably be integral to the game like that? Remove the actual throne in game of F-ing thrones? There is a point of diminishing returns.
It has everything to do with steering people to the premium and the higher profit margin associated with that.

If stern really wanted to steer ppl to the premium for a higher profit margin. They would just cut the pro out completely.

But let me guess. You would be complaining about the "pro" having a jump in price to $7500 and how stern just lost a $5000 sale from you because they are a greedy and should be selling it at $5000

#2415 8 years ago
Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

Yes! Because the pro DOES NOT feature the same quality that JJP, Heighway, Spooky, etc are at a $7500 +/- price point! The argument can be made that the current PRE/LE models don't compare at the $7500 +/- price point either!

And how many games has JJP put out? And how long have ppl been waiting for the hobbit?

What about heighway? Has any of the newer companies ask for money up front?

How are the early boostes jpop feeling about him right now?

I give these companies full credit for trying to give the community something that improves on any or all the points the complainers complain about.

What's that old saying

If u want it
Fast n cheap. It won't be good
Good n cheap. It won't be fast
Good n fast. It won't be cheap !!

#2571 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballConspiracy:

Wow..crazy

Screenshot_2015-09-11-10-17-45.png

Question for u guys and hound. But does he say lots of witty stuff.

Like in Star Trek. Getting karl urban to do the custom speeches was great. Like bones had awesome lines.

"When u rob a bank. You don't use a getaway car with a flat"

Or

"You just left sulu at a high stakes poker game with no cards"

So the game say "I'm a doctor not a pinball mechanic" by karl was gold!!!

#2711 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

After I got out of work, I took a quick stab at what would have made me excited for the GoT cabinet. Obviously it's not going to appeal to everyone, and I'm sure lots of people are going to prefer Stern's effort compared to mine, but according to Stern's Facebook rep they spent months nailing down their look whereas I gave myself a handful of hours. And everyone's tastes are different of course. Not everyone wants a black cabinet, but I've owned TZ, TAF, HS2, RFM, and SC, and I'm a little fond of them. It won't offend me if you don't like it.
I'm going to try the playfield next, but I can't promise to finish that. Huge project.
cab.jpg
For the translite, I imagine it having a mirrored backing, so where you see the flourishes around the logo, and the logo itself, would be reflective. The character montage is missing some key players, like a Baratheon, a Tyrell, etc. I just took what I could quickly find on Google that fit the brooding look I wanted. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a montage of characters on backglasses as long as they are well composited and interesting looking. Like I said in another post, the way the actual translite is setup reminds me of a medieval group photo shoot at a Sears.
The gold T-molding is replaced with mirrored T-molding. Instead of another character montage on the side of the cabinet, I just went with the house motto and sigil. I imagine the opposite side would be House Lannister since the LE model is Targaryen themed. Kept the front of the cab simple. Instead of two random characters, I just have the logo and some flourishes.

Thats awesome work. Definitely badass. If that was on the LE. I would pay in full right now and not wait to see the artwork on the premium to decide on which to get.

#2905 8 years ago
Quoted from locdb:

Alright... I'm over the terrible artwork. I'd like to see more complaining about the playfield being stripped down on the Pro. That's my biggest disappointment with this game since I could've been a NIB Pro owner and no longer will be. I think it's a more important thing to complain about. I'd rather Stern release the same playfield on a Pro and Premium/LE with bad artwork on them than see good artwork and 2 different playfields, which are really 2 different games.

Do u think it's possible for stern to release the pro at a mrsp $5995 usd with the LE playfield

If a hobbit standard edition is mrsp $8000 usd

I said it before. Stern should have just released the prem n LE models at their price points for GOT. But that would have left a big group out.

Ppl will complain no matter what approach stern does

#2922 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't know if you can even compare those numbers since the Hobbit price is the going rate and more of a floor price, where as the Stern MSRP can be had for $1k less. So it would be more fair to compare actual street prices.

I agree with you but I wanted to use mrsp as a constant because some distributors or resellers sell at different prices for the same game.

I also agree JJP probably can't sell for anything less because they costs are higher because stern buys in greater volume.

With that being said. JJP has to produce a game with more value and make less because they are they new kids on the block

I still think the margins are small because if it was truely that good. There would be more companies in the business.

I just checked msrp on a STLE $8795 vs GoTLE $8795

Same price for a LE after 2 years.

You can argue about extras like shaker motor etc on the STLE

But then again GoTLE has extra stuff on the pf and more led color changing lights

So I just don't see how ppl are saying stern is being greedy etc

GoT looks like it has an awesome
game. The exchange rate sucks but that's not sterns fault.

#2924 8 years ago
Quoted from Iceman5000:

Except average selling price from distros was about $7200 shippped for STLE. Average price for GOTLE shipped is $7900.

How do u know the average price for GoTLE before any of have been shipped out?

#2931 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

this is in usd? gotta be.

Yes. All prices in usd. Only constant there is.

#2932 8 years ago
Quoted from Iceman5000:

By calling distro's. Most will give you a shipped price.

So say I take what u say is true. The sell price being $700 more where is the breakdown on who is pocketing that extra $700?

Is stern getting $0 extra and the distros are wanting more since there is a variances from distros. Or visa versa

Or did stern raise their sell price to x
And the distros raised their price to x to cover increases in doing business or for more profit per machine

When the price goes up. Seems like most ppl blame stern. But I bet there are lots of factors on why the sell price went up? Shipping went up? Taxes on the business went up? Utils went up? Etc etc

#2935 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I agrees it's a lot of what you said. I'm a huge Steve Ritchie fanboy, I totally admit it. I don't own many of his games due to theme because theme is a big deal to me for games I'm going to purchase. I'm not going to put GoT the art on Steve. I know that many of you disagree. Art aside, the LE/Premium game looks totally awesome to play. I'm not as excited about the pro, but I want to see it in person. I will definitely own one of these games. Temporarily, I went from a policy of play it and buy it to "Shut up and take my money!!!!!". I got caught up in the hype. Now I'm back to somewhere between show me the premium and take my money or play it and buy it. . If anything, the less than I hoped for art package gave me enough pause to regain my senses and be a rational consumer.

If this is your dream theme. I think all it takes is a good video of the light show,game play and call outs and u will be in the mode of Take my cash right now. Again

That's how it is for me right now. The artwork is all subjective and could always be better. But the game looks sick.

#2942 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I disagree. I think you should NOT buy, and bitch about it. Because sterns marketing staff will blame lack of sales on something stupid, like a bad license, bad timing, something else released sooner. Instead of just good old fashioned shitty product, and greedy price attached to it. With so many bitching about the same thing, they have no choice but to see the fingers pointing back at them.

If u really want to get sterns attention. Buy nib machines from the other companies.

This will show stern that u do indeed have the money for a nib pin and spent it elsewhere because of a better product.

They will lose market share

This "I was going to buy a nib pin but the art sucks" or "the toys are gone" says really nothing.

#2957 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

So let's say today you want to buy a NIB pin to stick it to Stern. What are your options? WOZ (2 years old), Full Throttle (theme most don't care for) and....what? AMH is sold out, no?
We all wish Hobbit could go head to head with GOT so consumers could vote with their wallets. We're all hoping Hobbit starts shipping in October, but that doesn't seem likely.

U buy that WOZ because JJP is better. U put down a large deposit or pay in full even though the game hasn't shipped yet. Just think would JJP have needed more cash from outside investors if more ppl invested in JJP that constantly bashes stern business practice. Is not having enough cash the reason for the delays? If so, would have TH been out already?

By not supporting the small guy. He don't grow.

#2972 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You never know.
We thought Karl Urban was going to be great. He phoned it in, utterly disappointing. Maybe this will be the opposite.

What's wrong with urban and Star Trek?

#2974 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

See what I said above, phoned it. Utterly flat delivery, totally disappointing. There were a couple good ones, and the game was better with than without, but I thought his performance basically sucked. From a pinball fan I expected something more. I think I blame the direction in the booth though. He wasn't being coached well.

Thanks for that info. I didn't think his voice was all that bad. Could have been better or have more lines.

Did stern cheap out? Or was it his schedule was busy?

I know when k urban was in the city for a comic con 2 years ago His fee was high to make an appearance and an autograph photo with him was I think $250.

#3013 8 years ago

The more I look at GoTLE the more I'm liking it over TH. I never had complaints before. But I'm starting to really like it.

I like TH action shot of the dragon on the pf. But that's the same pose on the cab.

Same with the backglass and the box. Same pose. Would have been nice to see a little more variety.

#3044 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Considering that the show doesn't take place in Britain I don't really know why anyone would be worried about them having British accents.

Pre concieved notion of the time of knights and kings and England being the power house in earths history

#3186 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Speaking as someone who's working on playfield art right now it's work, and I can't see anyone decided to redo it all, with professional high rez art, for free, for what? So they can show it off? Who's going to print it? Not Stern. Who's going to make the playfields and provide the custom shield inserts etc? It's just a lost cause, no point in even discussing it.

You mean none of those badass arm chair art playfield pro critics wants to step up and shine to show stern how it's suppose to done. Now that's shocking!!!!!

#3190 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why should anybody? Stern knows how it's done. See Metallica.

Ppl make it sound so easy. All they have to do is remove the gears in place of ____. Darken the mood and boom.

#3268 8 years ago

At $13,000 for an LE it has. Don't kid yourself if you don't think Stern, DP, JJP are pushing a lot of folks out of the market with their ridiculous pricing. This LE model BS is going to stop eventually because the pool of buyers that can actually purchase at that price point is limited and at one point those buyers won't have the room to buy the games up.

Even though for you it's 13k CND after your taxes. That isn't stern,JJP,dp fault for pushing ppl out of the market. That's the bad exchange and govt taxes.

If someone really wants it. They will pay and make the room.

The base hobbit is $8000 usd. That isn't far off LE pricing. If you believe ppl can't afford to pay LE pricing. It won't be just the LEs that will be gone. It will be pinball companies.

#3270 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

And new people don't know who the hell SR is, nor are they that discerning when it comes to gameplay, so the art's all they got.

No. Thats what pin ppl think when they see a pin. They dissect it and bash everything they don't like

Someone new to pins. What they see are how cool the flashing lights are, the toys on the playfield, and the characters and name on the backglass and cab. Then the game play

Just think of the ppl that u see playing Star Trek. How often do I hear them say "the art on the playfield sucks".

But most importantly. What gets them to buy is the price.

A newcomer is shocked at the prices of pins. Unless these ppl are spending $1000-9500 usd on items on a regular basis. They aren't use to dropping that much cash.

Ppl can buy a decent used car or take a nice trip for that much cash

#3279 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

It's not Stern's fault, but his point is it could be their problem. Whether due to tax, exchange rate, etc... fewer pins will be sold (in theory) in Canada at Stern's current price point.
Whether Stern cares or not is the real question - I would guess the Canadian market isn't big enough for Stern to get too upset.

I think stern cares. Just like with all the other manufacturers. It comes down to can they run close to 100% on the assembly line.

If a company can only produce 60 machines a week. It doesn't matter if 5000 orders or 100,000 orders have been placed. As time goes on new stuff will come out and sway buyers choices.

But here's a question for u. For the ppl saying sterns needs to lower prices for international buyers. How about the international manufacturers who price thier games based on the USD. Should they now lower thier prices because it's not a big swing on profits.

#3320 8 years ago

What I noticed from the videos. The inserts are clear with rgb lights. Where there the render. They have colored inserts.

Much like ST pro and STLE

#3350 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

has anyone counted how many gears are actually on this game, it would be like the "how many jelly beans are in the sealed jar" competition

I once accurately guessed how many jelly beans were in the jelly bean jar in grade 3. The prize was any LP record for under $20. I bought Michael Jackson Triller

This is great that JJP has released more updates to go head to head with GoT.

Both games will bring a great light show. JJP has super noise toys. I do like the pf artwork on TH over GoTLE. But at the same time. I'm fine with Sterns artwork

I watched TH game videos and wasn't excited over it but they had had a while to work on it.

GOTLE playfield does look funner to play. Can't wait to see videos of both games in action.

This is what the industry needs. More choices for the customer to spend their money on

#3370 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I don't understand why it's so important for them to have colored house inserts? A lannister shield in yellow or pink? does that make sense to you? I would like to have a tri colored GI like in Metallica that would help to set the game in different moods.
And why do they have the stannis symbol on the lord of light drop targets? They should take out the stag there. Small details that would help me believe that they understand this theme.

The computer renders show the inserts as colored

Watching sterns video. The house inserts are clear and the rgb light change color accordingly.

#3427 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Is it just me, or does the color in all the color changing inserts look "washed out"? They just do not look rich in color at all.

I think it's the lighting. Seems to be in a very bright room. In a darker room. I think the light show would look killer. Kinda like setting off fireworks in the day vs at night

#3599 8 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

Yup. I think you might be right. What's your thoughts on this approach rather than a sculpt? Do you think it contributes to the lightshow somehow?

Is it like that all the way to the bottom. Looks that way to me but hard to tell from the pics.

If that's the case. Then the ball hits it so a smooth piece makes more sense than a sculpted piece. Looking at the pics. Looks to be same on the left side as well

#3947 8 years ago

What if the pro flow is awesome
What if the LE upper play field is awesome

Would someone be crazy enough to buy both the pro and LE and put them side by side ????

#4021 8 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

My problem with pinball is, we have the best designers on how a pinball should play. The world has the best gamer designers we have ever seen. When do the old farts and young talent come together and make something on the playfield and backglass that is truly amazing. My guess is the pinball manufacturing world can't afford to pay the true young talent we have out there. That is the business model that would change pinball forever once again.

Yes please start a pinball company and unite the 2 generations together. U will "change pinball forever once again"

#4032 8 years ago

The pro looks awesome. Fast play. Dots look great.

#4061 8 years ago

The speed and the flow of shots on the pro looks better than ST

I'm seriously holding myself back and putting money down on a LE.

The 68 rgb on the LE will be crazy

Dots look great for dmd.

I don't own a game with an extra pf so this GoTLE adds a different type game for me.

#4097 8 years ago

SR did say there are at least 3 multiballs. Maybe 4 in GoT

#4102 8 years ago

I went back to the hobbit thread to watch the video. TH just seems so slow compared to GoT pro

Hard to see what the dragon does from a birds eye view

This game is fast. But nothing beats the speed of hitting consecutive a warps on ST

#4139 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

Can't believe some of the negative comments about the twitch feed. Must be a generational thing, I don't know. I sure as hell don't want to see Stern employees dressing up for a late night "fun" reveal of a new pin. He was wearing a Star Wars shirt for goodness sakes. I'll take that over khakis any day. And if some of you can't handle an f bomb while someone is playing pinball... yikes. not my kind of crowd. "Would you like to come over for tea and play some pinball? Don't forget to wear your khakis. tee hee"

I didn't mind what he was wearing or really what he was saying. But his damn hands kept on blocking the view on the play.

#4169 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm sticking with the LE. I love the hand drawn art on the cab.

I got your back devils fan. I'm in on LE as well.

#4188 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I haven't read this thread in three weeks because the bashing was nauseating and I see that has not changed. Just one question to save me reading 2000+ posts: any idea of when the Premium pictures are coming? I need to decide between the Premium and LE soon.

Most of sterns posts are "stayed tuned" but they did post that the live game play is something they will do in the future and that the LE gameplay will be shown in oct.

#4230 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

It's themed around the north. Probably John snow. Maybe some wildlings like tormund or ygritte.

Ygritte is hot!!!

#4251 8 years ago
Quoted from canea:

They tried pretty hard not to put any of GoT's beautiful women on this machine, didn't they?

The LE has to 2 hotties on the backglass. And if u like men 1 hottie. If u swing both ways 3 hotties !!

#4424 8 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I'm in the minority here but I really like the look of the LE. That cabinet is great and the backglass looks much better in the follow-up pictures. And the playfield has a more desert look which matches the characters on that machine.

I like the premium art package. But I also like the LE side cab n backglass better. If they put Ygritte on the backglass on the prem. I would be all over it

The LE really needs the shaker motor to really differentiate it from the prem.

#4466 8 years ago

What I don't understand is how Ritchie doesn't know if there will be 3 or 4 multiballs after 2 years of development? And this points to a larger problem because
a) the designer and programmers should have this nailed down by now
b) all features should have been set in a technical spread sheet and confirmed
c) designers / programmers don't seem to agree on things (specifically the video mode) Steve kept repeating and emphasizing that you could skip the mode...

He said there are at least 3 multiballs. what I get from that. There is room to add more to the game. What we see isn't the final final version. It's still a prototype

#4473 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

IMHO Nobody should buy a game without playing it first. If you can't play it at expo wait until you have the opportunity to play it at another tshow or somewhere else. What's the hurry?

With your logic then. Then ppl should wait to play it at expo. And then if they buy. Ppl should then play their machines and if they buy. Repeat.

That would work great if the theory worked great in real life but. I don't know how many Canadians are going to attend expo to play this game. And if there are. I venture it would take a while before it spreads before I can play one if at all

#4478 8 years ago

I know I get that. But they should know by now I mean 3 months ago they should have known. I know far too well the kind of havoc "feature creep" can play on a code base. When we design website for large corporations like 10,000 pages plus and the client comes in 4 months in development and ask " yeah can we had this feature and this feature and this one" oh...and remove this one. Non technically people don't get it. It's like saying...."yeah we'd like to remove the 4th floor from this building and change all the bathroom locations on everyfloor" after the cement has been poured and all the drywall is up. It's infuriating.

I hate that as well when it comes software products. But I don't read it like that. I still see it as they are going to release the game with a min of 3 multiballs.

They probably have the game play coded or working on 4 multiballs. It's either not ready yet or waiting for more feedback before adding it.

It's clear. They have already thought of more than 3 multiballs for the game. Not something where someone tells them that it will nice to have another multiball here or there and then they decide to software creep.

#4493 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

Despite gears having nothing to do with GoT, I realized they weren’t ever going to budge on them after I saw some of the DMD animations. They obviously think the gears are clever since they included them in some of the mode graphics (also with Roman numerals? because GoT is medieval and not a fantasy setting on another world, I guess? and Roman numerals are old-timey?). I have to give them some credit though, they did change the silver shield, which was the biggest blight on the playfield. That’s something.

I agree. Cabinet-wise, I’m not really impressed by either. And neither of them feel like HBO Game of Thrones officially licensed products to me.
Steve Ritchie said the cabinet mockup I made would never fly through approvals, but I think that’s BS. Not because I think there wouldn’t be any issue with my design; I’m sure there are plenty of problems. I’m starting to think the cool metal Stark wolf sigil I used on the cabinet side was just fan art. But I say BS because almost everything I did already had a precedent in some other officially licensed GoT product.
Here’s a quick breakdown:
got.jpg
I think my design has been a hit with a lot of people not because what I did was good so much as that it connected better with fans' expectations of what a Game of Thrones product would look like.
Steve Ritchie said in the Twitch stream that he’s read all the books and watched all the episodes at least seven times each. I believe it. But I don’t think the artist Stern used is familiar with the series at all. None of the three cabinets or playfields do anything to capture to the mood of the series. They feel to me like the artist was provided the promotional photos and then assembled them together without much understanding of what they represented. Like the orange starburst from the seven-pointed star symbol behind the Iron Throne on the Pro translite. The impression that I’ve been getting from the latest season of the show is that the New Gods don’t actually exist, so showing god rays bursting out of the star on the Pro translite make it especially ridiculous.
And as I keep saying, these pinball machines are the most divergent officially licensed HBO GoT products on the market. The closest products I can find that the pinball machines are like is non-HBO Game of Thrones licensed products:
boardgame.jpg
[Edit: just found the source for those house sigils. HBO should officially license these because they are awesome: https://www.behance.net/gallery/Game-of-thrones-wallpapers/3985601

Your art is the best.

#4526 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Those are hot, followed on Behance. Really well executed, good find.

Upvoted for the best non-car analogy yet!

FWIW I totally agree. But I feel like at least for me personally I've said my piece, and I'm trying to find the positives where I can. The Premium is still disappointing to me, and flawed, but I think it's an improvement, so I'm focusing on that as best I can. We don't know if Stern listened, just already had this, or what. I choose to believe that they made some last minute fixes based on feedback, and we should at least applaud that, even if it's still not awesome.
At the end of the day Stern is still making "commercial" games. For whatever reason they're not truly caring about what the collector market wants. I think that's too bad, but they know the numbers and we don't, so maybe they're doing what's right for them. Feels like a mistake to me, you can serve both, but I don't work for Stern.
At the end of the day this is just a forum, lots of talk, and not much else. Money really talks. I'm not going to tell anyone what they should buy, go with what feels right for you. I won't lie, I'm looking forward to playing the Prem/LE at some point. The Pro not so much. Has the most annoying art package and feels too stripped down, might be the weakest Pro Stern has ever done. I'm sure there will be a crowd that like it because it's fast, and I'm sure Steve Ritchie nailed the geometry in that regard. But I need more than a fast game with every shot returning to the flippers myself to get interested. Upper playfield might provide that. Wish it would be at Expo, but I'll find a chance at some point.

I said this before. Gary says home use sales is where the market is.

Think about where u live and think of how many recent titles are on location and then look on pinside for ppl living in your area and see what pins they own.

If stern or JJP sells 3000 titles in Canada n USA. I doubt 1000 of this titles are on location.

Even if there are 200 major cities. That would be an average of 5 titles on location per city which would be a lot in this era of pinball n arcade games

#4544 8 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Any idea when premiums will be delivered ? Q1 2016 ?

Have they shipped out the kiss prem?

Would be a blow if they haven't to kiss prem orders if they shipped got prem first

#4597 8 years ago
Quoted from thearcadegeek:

LE with maybe a new translite is my fave of the 3.

I just saw the hi res pics of the art package on sterns fb. I'm really liking it more and more.

#4710 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Imagine how many more GoT machinies they would sell if they came out and said "Yes, all of our Spike games will be backwards compatible with our LCD screens in the future."
Now of course that may not be true at all, which would be sad.
But if they do know that it is possible, they are crazy for not stating it up front.
So I would guess it is not possible at this stage.

Is there really a point to this. It's not like a gaming station where u have all these games on the old system and u want/can play on the new system

In this case u have no software or hardware. stern would have to invest in the source code and then the customer would have to buy all the hardware and software and then install it.

#4718 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Yes. The point is.... That if it were available to me, I would be a customer.
I know some people are happy with a DMD for the rest of their lives, but I want video and I have no problem talking about it.

I want LCD and video as well. But what would be cost to implement that later on for it all.

LCD, back glass, video drivers , misc hardware, software $1500-2000?

Are u willing to pay that? How many others are willing to pay that?

My guess is that more than 85% of all got owners wouldn't pay that

If it was like $500 sure. I would say 85% would upgrade

#4845 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

the fact that this thread has almost 5000 posts shows that this is a prime theme and a lot of Pinsiders were waiting to jump on this.
But the fact that at least half the posts are negative or people saying they won't buy even though it's a great theme has to be a serious missed opportunity for Stern.
It's not like WWE or Mustang which were probably marginal themes and probably wouldn't sell crazy.
Anyway, my game room is filling up, and I have to be more careful what I pick. I suspect others are in the same boat.

I'm impressed that u actaully took the time to go thru all 5000+ post and count and tally the negative posts. That's impressive

#4886 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

starburst?
if the price of the premium (shipped) in the us is $6500 how can it be $7200 here? in us is in us, no? and plus taxes... something's wrong here.

We get screwed over in Canada. But in it apples to oranges when comparing what someone in Canada pays vs someone in USA pays. Even though u compare the prices in usd

Who knows what the operating costs per seller, could also be more greed. Etc etc. I agree though should be great if Canadian distributor/reseller could sell it for 6500usd shipping within Canada

#4944 8 years ago

I thought Kirk was born in Iowa USA???

#4968 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I wonder if there would be any risk of showing approved concept images well before they run them so they have more time to listen to feedback.
It seems like sourcing opinions from the target market and making improvements based on that feedback would result in more sales. Obviously there are people who don't care about artwork, so Stern has them in the bag, but if they wanted to expand sales, seems like being more open during the development process might lead to that.

I'm one of those ppl that don't really care about art. As much as toys,lights, theme and gameplay.

I'm just getting into this hobby so I dont have the experience to critique pins. But when I watch videos of past pins to get a gauge on what games I want down the road. I don't even notice the art.

JJP WOZ really stands out to me. And besides the the yellow brick road and the wicked witch. I can even describe or remember the art on the playfield. But I can remember the crystal ball, flying monkey, spinning house, the video on the LCD and the color changing rgb etc

#4999 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I like toys like the Vengeance…just look at Wolverine...

The vengeance is big both in the pinball and in the movie

#5100 8 years ago
Quoted from BigDan:

+1
and now back to our regularly scheduled program.
I wonder if the new premium only playfield was a result from comments they received? I'm pretty sure this is the first Premium game to receive its own unique playfield excluding Luci which was a special premium amongst regular premiums. If so then Stern must be turning over a new leaf and listening to the community before they finalize a product which is great news because look at what it did for Jersey Jacks The Hobbit. The Hobbits original playfield received a lot of criticism, apparently JJ was listening and cared enough to fix it and now it looks the part. Its nice to have companies that show us pre-production units so they can gauge their work and tweak things that may have been overlooked by the design team.

I personally think the blue was always there but constructive critism from aurich got stern to change the "shield". Everyone respects aurich opinion on art because he is a pro. What he thinks and says carries a lot of weight

The snow on the cogs and gears is 50/50 if it was added or always there.

JJP can't miss on their pins. They really need to please the customer. And they do go above and beyond to deliver a great pin.

#5211 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

When are the pros shipping?

Stern said the overseas pros are on the assembly line first
Then pros for domestic
Then the LEs
Then the prem

#5302 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Having played it, it is horribly bright. Blinding.
It's like the thinking was, make it as bright and shiny as possible and people will buy it.

I'm one those bright buyers. The more change rgb the better.im a sucker for toys,speed n lights.

If sterns misses the target with brightness or color display. They can change the code to get the right ambience out of the rgb.

GI lighting. The ones that fall out and end up in the ball trough. I leave out anyways

Down the road I really want to pick up a WOZ because of the great light show. I just holding back because it's a widebody and another hit home for theme might come out

#5327 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I'm a big sucker for mini playfields. I would be satisfied with a pro game, I've seen enough of it to know that is going to be fun for me. Many people have said the pro is too stripped down for them, or its to much like game x in their collection, but those arguments don't work for me. I think the pro has enough exciting gameplay elements to appease the masses and it will mature into an all around good pin.
That said; I'm a sucker for mini playfields and gimmicks. I haven't seen the game play of the LE yet, but I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out flow wise. I think the mini Playfield/throne ball lock will be a fun component to add to the pro rules. Im betting that the premium game will be worth every penny. I'm a big game of thrones fan, but don't see the added value in an LE purchase.
This is my first NIB game and I live about an hour from the distributer. I really wanted to talk face to face with someone and ask a couple questions. Today I had some time to kill, so I went Toronto and decided to get my deposit down. Why 50% down? Just cause it was cash onhand from selling other games.

The question is will u buy the topper for it?

2 weeks later
#5601 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

I don't see anyone getting their premiums/le before Christmas. I was informed this week I won't even be getting my pro until the 3rd/4th week of Nov now . I ordered 1st week of October.

I think stern is pretty fast getting them out stern could have all the LEs in 2 weeks. I can see the LEs in ppls home by the end of the 2nd week or 3rd week of nov. The PREMs. Probably not til Xmas or after. They will probably make the pros again after the LEs

#5640 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

How old are your kids? When they start sucking 20, 30,40k a year out of your budget for their activities and weekends are dominated by getting them to all their activities the balance changes a lot

Your kids suck 20-40k from your yearly budget???? How much do u make and what's your yearly budget ????

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballophobe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=pinballophobe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.