image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jlm33.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I only read a few pages of this topic, so forgive me if I missed this discussion already...but given the unknowns in the next two books, do you think this machine might struggle to reach any "finale"?

Same situation as for the boardgame. You do not need to know the end to impersonate a faction and enjoy the game.
There could be characters missing though, so I do not expect to see inserts on the PF for each character, à la LOTR.

#322 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I was thinking perhaps "the wall" itself would be a narrow upper playfield spanning the entire back of the cabinet?

Or be in the backbox ?

#440 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Besides, the source material behind The Hobbit is timeless

Possibly. But still a minor book compared to LOTR... and I bet GoT will stand the test of time. The first book is already 19 years old!

Quoted from Baiter:

it didn't require the movies to be made to be received with enthusiasm.

Granted for a regular pin. Tron (the pin) is better than Tron (the movie). It succeeded in incorporating its visual and audio atmosphere.
Not so sure for a pin relying on a large LCD and displaying video clips.
It would have helped if the movie was a masterpiece. Alas it is not. But there should be enough good material for the pin.

#478 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You're not correct, The Lord of the Rings books were super well known before the movies and are much better than The Hobbit.

Good to hear. I thought I was living on a different planet.

#639 8 years ago
Quoted from adamsebas:

It's finally getting to an acceptable level in my opinion.

Sure. When comparing LOTR with Wrestlemania, it's obvious things have moved in the right direction, with a modest (100%+) increase in price.

#773 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

It feel like I spend my whole game trying to keep the ball out of the lower playfield. Is that just me?

No... but I don't hate the game.

Quoted from TOK:

I played World Poker Tour (that was the other comparison) at a show and remember being surprised at how much I liked it, but didn't play it long enough to totally get a feel for it.

Real cool game - and you need to play it a lot to understand how good the rules are. Final wizard mode (Keefer's invitational) is a myth for an average player like me...

#1112 8 years ago

Am I the only one to find the LE backglass worse than the Pro !?

#1203 8 years ago

Ruleset:

1) Cannot but notice the 2x Playfield - 3X... 4X up to 5X playfield inserts.
5x is a first (to my knowledge). This is going to influence game play a lot. Could be fun, hope this is not based on a single shot, like the Bell in ACDC.

2) Choose faction: as many houses as Doctors in Dr Who (7). Could be fun if each of one gives you a slight advantage for a game feature, as in Dr Who.

#1288 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Is the battering ram a vari-target, ala Bad Cats?

That would be cool...

#1427 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

What can "any exporter" do about another countries exchange rate?

I would check carefully who resells in said country.
I am interested to know why I would have to pay 1000 euros more for GoT LE than Hobbit LE, in contrast to what happens in the US: correct me if I am wrong: Hobbit LE $8500, Stern LE around $7800?

#1482 8 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

She is a die-hard fan of the show.

She is a keeper.

Quoted from gearheaddropping:

One word back: "pass"

She definitively IS a keeper

#1550 8 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Maybe they're testing the water and not in production at all yet.

I wish it were the case.

#1555 8 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Was the Pro link ever live? It's not as of 2:51 EST
http://sternpinball.com/games/game-of-thrones/pro

It was. (but no longer is for me)

#1579 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wonder if they will sell more of these than Kiss. I also wonder if they sold more Kiss than WWE.

I have no doubt they sold more Kiss than WWE. Having no interest in both themes, I can say Kiss layout is far better and artwork is cool. I like the retro / Bally hommage. Add to that a stronger/richer fanbase in the US.

#1597 8 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Myself, I will be getting an LE, and although I like dragons, my disappointment with the dragon side art is two fold. One, that is looks somewhat similar to the Hobbit Smaug Edition. Which I have a Smaug comming, so im not thrilled about that. Second, Im a fan of different cabinet art on each side, like what the pro has, or even LOTR.
My other complaint im my view is the sid armor on the LE. Its huge with no real lines, it needs something more to it, either lights like Star Trek LE, or to be straight and then curve around the dragon by the flipper, but to make it a big triangle to fit the cuts by the button just look wrong

And you have no complain about the LE backglass?
I think someone is going to sell 700 copies of an alternative backglass for this game.

#2015 8 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

If the Premium cab art looks decent enough (that kind of trivial stuff matters to me) or there are still LE's available down the line maybe we'll pick one up, but for now I'm using my veto power and making her wait.

You are using your veto power to prevent your wife from buying a pin?

Seems like an alternative universe / antimatter world to me...

#2414 8 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

Stern, listen up: Every one of your competitors has a better looking offering on the table right now: JJP with Hobbit and Pat’s game behind it, DP with TBL, Heighway with Alien, Spooky with Zombie…. I would buy every single one of those games before I buy this GoT… and my wife and I are HUGE fans of the show! It would have been such an easy sale. Think about that.

If I were Stern, I would definitively listen to this. Wait until Alien and RZ are revealed and Hobbit start to ship.
Winter is coming.

#2674 8 years ago

Artwork aside, what's interesting is Stern's LE choice (with HBO consent or request) to choose Daeneris, her dragons and suite rather than The North (Stark, the Wall, Wildlings, white walkers, The Watch...).

Correct me if I am wrong, but the second theme would
- fit the saga better
- be more appealing to many. Daeneris may be a lovely Queen, but the North seems the place to be.

In other words, I would have swapped LE and premium themes.

#2677 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Screw them, they all dead.....
WTF happened to the kid with the telepathic abilities, haven't seen him in a while

Bran. Still here. As a few Starks, Crows, Wildlings and too many White walkers...

#2688 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

Daenerys is the least relevant to have prominently displayed on the cabinet.

Or one may argue she will be a predominant - the predominant - character for next season.
HBO might have pushed Stern in that direction.
Daenerys may be the next one sitting on the Iron Throne, for all I know (and she's a Queen I would not mind serving).

#3020 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Oh,boy,here we go again!! The dealers will buy up all the LE s,wait for any mods,then sell them for a grand more!!700 pins will go fast!I

Rather "TRY to sell them for a grand more".

#3271 8 years ago

Silly idea:

Quoted from Goronic:But with TV shows the actors on the field can not only date the machine, but you are getting the story up to the time the pin was made, and you may be missing the best / final actors entirely that are introduced later in the TV series.

Silly idea: Promise you will release a different backglass for each new season, featuring the main characters still alive, adding the new ones... (not for free, of course).

#3352 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If Hobbit is cheaper where you live, that's gotta be a blow to Stern.

It's cheaper here as well (hobbit LE vs GoT LE) and "here" means France and (at least) some of its neighbors.
Stern: something's wrong...

#3383 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

the pizza in the USA is way better than in Italy.

We have not been to the same Italy then.

(agreed on the reliability of Italian cars though).

#3553 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

don't know how complete KISS was

Don't ask.

#3574 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Have I missed something? I thought nobody here has seen or played GoT. How could anybody judge this game already?

Have I missed something? I thought nobody here has seen or played GoT. How could anybody order this game already?

1 week later
#4428 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

my only complaint. where the F is Ygritte?

You know nothing, mesmashu!

#4719 8 years ago

Just played the Pro at the European championship today. This game is wicked fast. Fantastic flow. Even better than Star Trek which was my favorite until then...
Believe me, the Pro does not seem stripped down when you play it.
Ruleset seems very deep. Bonus heavy.

Only weakness: the video mode which is very poor. Otherwise a great game with cool animations.

11.jpg11.jpg
12.jpg12.jpg

#4731 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

What were your impressions of the complete art package in person?

It's better than I thought. How much better, I can't say for now... Will have to give critical look. I was concentrated on the game trying to understand the rules. Something sure: this one comes with a very advanced ruleset. Nothing to compare with Kiss at release for example: the 0.92 (?) code version I played was bad. This one is already good. People will still bitch for an update, at least for the video mode The good thing is that you could avoid it. As all games were 4-player games, the other three were begging the active player not to choose it...
One will need to put a lot of games to understand the philosophy of the ruleset. I had no time for that. Some shots can be extremely lucrative. This game will need a tutorial, and you will have to study it. Do your homework!

Beware, game is so fast you may find it too fast. You need vampire-level speed. But the ramps are so smooth you will find it exhilarating when having a good ball.

The lightshow at the beginning of some sessions is so bright it can really blinds you. Fortunately there was a ball save during these fireworks.

Overall, I was initially disappointed by the lack of the upper playfield for the pro. No longer. This game on its own should be truly good. Closest match is Stern Strek:
- If you liked ST, you will enjoy this one.
- If you did not like ST because of the repetitive modes, you may still like this one.

#4740 8 years ago

End of an exhaustive week end. GoT was played all three days nearly non-stop. Overall feedback is extremely positive. I have not heard a single person who did not enjoy the game. There are things you may not enjoy in that game (video mode, Head decals, backglass is so-so) but all are minor flaws... given the flow of that game.

Quoted from Nokoro:

I own ST and want something new feeling in my next pin which is why I think the Pro is definitely out for me.

That could be the one good reason not to buy GoT. In a small lineup GOT Pro and ST may feel related... but rules and strategy are so different you could still enjoy both. Getting a GoT LE/Premium would make sense.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Unpredictable code that may never get finished.

Definitely not true for this one. It may not be finished or totally polished / balanced (feedback from the players will contribute) but this game will ship with a code you can enjoy from day 1.

Finally : picture of the one thing I did not like in that game...

31.jpg31.jpg

#4748 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Of course that's my perception without seeing or playing it yet.

Sure. Playing it was an eye-opener to me. Watching others playing it was instructive too.

#5129 8 years ago

Gameplay video I took last week:

#5143 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I thought Star Trek was more than bright enough, I wouldn't want brighter than that.

GoT is brighter. For better or worse! Check the video I posted when the player starts blackwater multiball.

#5191 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

kids will stop playing magic the gathering for once, and to try to kill some dragons

Sure. Here is the decision table corresponding to this situation.

Decision.pngDecision.png

#5197 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I have my pins on location in a boardgame/cardgame store and I can confirm that this flowchart is spot on.

This flowchart is based from personal experience. I raised two kids who strictly obeyed this pattern
Boardgame store with pins? Seems like heaven to me...

#5234 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

-it seems people are racking up enormous scores on their first try so it may be too easy to keep the ball in play.

You need to try it.
Higher scores for sure and bonus heavy... but not longer ball times than usual.

#5316 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

One thing is for sure, NOBODY is rushing to buy this pin.

LOL. Everyone was queuing to play that game during the EPC2015. Among them a bunch of extremely good / experienced players.
Most people were positively impressed by this game.

I enjoyed it a lot too (except the video mode, as everyone).

1 week later
#5509 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How can buying a pinball machine ever be the wrong decision?

Predator?
Magic Girl?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jlm33.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=jlm33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.