image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 8 years ago

If it really is a SR pin with the works and new color display, I am very interested. Never watched the show so not sure what to expect from callouts, music, and artwork. Not really interested in that material or non-family friendly pins, though. Oh well, it's still a lot more potential than recent Stern pins.

#271 8 years ago

What are the odds that the LE/premium will have color lcd and the pro dmd?

#1071 8 years ago

To be honest, I'm extremely underwhelmed. I was really expecting something with the long delay from Ritchie's last game and all the hype. I'm not even a fan of the show and thought it would be something I would seriously consider buying. Okay, I get putting color in the display is hard, really hard, for Stern but everything else looks like it was called in. A dragon? Yawn - like we have not seen a dragon in pinball before. The upper playfield looks like it takes up half the game and what else is there? Nothing visually interesting or anything special to me. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of the show. Steve Ritchie is the best so maybe the magic is there in gameplay. Good thing is I'm not going to feel the pressure to buy another NIB pin anytime soon.

#1090 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'd say the brand manager *demanded* it. It was probably the pinball guys going, "really? We have to make it look like that?"

Given Stern's history, I'm not too sure about that.

#2038 8 years ago

Stern certainly has the fans talking about their new pin.

#2078 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The more I look at the art, the less I hate it. The faux-steel gradient behind the house inserts is the main thing that doesn't work, but I could get over that more easily than the insert cluster on Star Trek. What I DO like is the interplay of orange, brown and tan, and the map motif.
If I ignore the LE/Prem, the Pro is not terrible. You do get 2 ramps, a physical ball lock, 3 drop targets and the action button on the lockbar. No magnets or saucers, but those would slow down the flow. I could see GoT Pro becoming a lot like Iron Man - hated at first, but eventually beloved for its game play. I wouldn't pass one up at ~$4k on the used market.

I have to agree. I think a lot of us had such high expectations that it hit hard. It looks like most of Stern's games. Could be better but not the worst. I wouldn't call the art on my ST anything great. Looks a lot better with Aurich's translite and decals. Mods will probably help bring GoT up a notch or two in looks. Gameplay should be pretty good given it's a Ritchie game. I think a lot of people will pass on buying nib and wait for a used one. Those are the people Stern should be working harder to get buying new instead of used.

#2345 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Doesn't matter. You're all going to buy it anyway.

Yup. Stern has been doing this for a while. It's a business and they are out to make money. These are the kind of games they make and they sell. Hardcore fans complain but these games somehow make it into their collection.

#2700 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

This is what makes Stern and their artists look bad. Our Pinside community does it better than the professionals they hire and in a fraction of the time. I love this design.

I was going to post the same thing. The graphics guys throw out much better results without any real effort. Maybe they did have similar designs that were shot down by license approval. Maybe Stern just intentionally aims low to get quick approval and save money having to redo art over and over. I just don't get it. Someone at Stern should be able to see what looks bad or good.

#2909 8 years ago

I'm all for being positive but there is such a thing as constructive criticism. This is suppose to be Stern's best work. It has a top tier theme with the best designer in the biz. Prices have gone up to a point where you can no longer use the cost cutting excuse. A pro used to be cheap enough where you could justify some bad art, missing features, and general cheapness. GoT pro just looks so underwhelming but priced like it has premium features.

First impressions are very important and I don't think one single person can say they had a good first impression on this pin. Maybe non-pinheads will see it and go "oh cool, Game of Thrones pinball!" but people like that are not playing pins every weekend and definitely not buying one. Stern better listen to fans because those are the customers.

#3500 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

95% today, a year from now 90%!
Can we say, Aliens, Spooky's 3rd game, Pat Lawlors game??
The trend of Stern's marketshare is pointing down towards reduction of it.

That's the way I see it. It's like GM in the 70's producing the same boat cars with declining quality while ignoring the import competition. It aleady sounds like WOZ is a popular route pin. If JJP can get games out the door faster or maybe a cheaper pin, Stern may quickly find themselves behind in the competition. I just don't get why Stern doesn't raise the bar to tighten their hold on the market and drive out these startups. It's not like many people buy multiple $7000-$9000 pins a year. Stern needs to do better and quit calling it in.

#3652 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Love this shot - do they really need a sticker to tell them which side is top???

lol - Well, you know they are there because that one guy.

1 week later
#4514 8 years ago

Premium looks much better. Small changes like color changes and a little more attention to detail make a huge difference. I don't like the translite, though. I know nothing about the show but definitely needs a woman character instead of all ugly dudes. I don't care who is a main character or whatever. Art could always be better but the biggest disappointment is still the display. Maybe Stern can easily do a color display but just doesn't have the talent to make it look right. It's easy to accept poor dots with the ugly dmd but not with a full color display.

#4554 8 years ago

Isn't art suppose to be well, art? The shield is just a design. The chainmail looks a lot better as a design than cheesy photoshop effects. I suppose it would look cool like a real shield but then people would complain that its not artsy enough.

#4988 8 years ago

Stern does do lighting really well, I will give them that. Hard to miss a game that is lit up bright and colorful so that's how it should be - especially with how easy it is to use LED bulbs. Still seems like something is missing on the pro, though. Nothing looks like a focal piece. I'm not sure what you do with the dragon but it is kinda small. I will need to play one to make any real conclusions. I've dismissed some games based on pics/videos that ended up being one of my favs after playing. I do like ramps and fast flow games so I look forward to trying it out.

1 week later
#5390 8 years ago

I don't know if I am in a minority but I like all the bright, flashing, skittle, in your face lights. With a shaker and sound cranked up, it really brings a theatrical experience. Of course, it all has to be done right to match gameplay.

I also noticed a few guys mentioning that their wives were really into GoT and that helped the purchase decision. I wonder if that will be a key in the success of this pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.