image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#324 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

As for the LCD, we have to consider the extreme production time for this pin. Why has Ritchie been MIA for two years?
It certainly wasn't to get this license. The show has been on for years.

Just ask... Jared can't delete it on Pinside...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#483 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

It would nearly be impossible for Stern to create a dragon thats as underwhelming as what JJP released for TH- especially given all the hype. They probably also wont need the public to correct their misteps (several times) to get it right.

And I disagree. I think Stern is quite capable of making an underwhelming dragon. I'd suspect they would do it as a bash toy, or a decorative piece.

It would be awesome to be wrong on this. Personally I'd love to see the ball swallowing interactive flying dragon everyone wants to crush TH, but come on, it's Stern. I love their games, but I'd say don't expect much more than the snake in MET, or less.

Quoted from adamsebas:

Not a great theme for pinball! Hope it's not another Stern cheap looking throw away game like spiderman or Xmen etc. Guessing some $5 dollar white walker bash toy. Could be ok if they continued with drawn artwork but thinking it will resemble Walking Dead style. Already waiting for next title announcement!

Welcome back to The Pinside. If you're going to say stuff like that, just use your real account. It's ok to have your name attached to your opinion. Just because people that disagree will pig pile on you doesn't make it less valid. In fact, having the balls to put your name on it makes it much more valid. Doing it like you just did means nobody would listen to it and makes you look like an asshat. Lots of folks love "throw away" games like XM. It is more correctly stated that you don't like XM (I don't either). But there are lots that do. As for SM, saying that is just obvious trolling. Learn to respect the games you don't like. Recognize the fact that there are great games that just don't suit you, but they are still great. And always use your real account.

#681 8 years ago

I'm feeling left out. How is it that nobody has PMed me leaked playfield pics yet??? What's the world coming to!

#722 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I can't beleive people are actually trying to make this argument. Blu-Ray is WAY better and clearer then DVD, are you kidding me?

While this is true, how good does it need to be before it is "good enough"? My TV is 65", and I watch it from about 11 feet away. Yes, Blu-Ray looks better on it. But I don't shun DVD. If that is the format I have it on, I'll still watch it. I wouldn't want to watch SD content on it, but DVD is good enough. Blu-Ray is better (both picture and sound).

Just like I can play a pinball machine from 1971 and have a freakin blast. It isn't the latest tech, but it is still good stuff. See that? It finally comes back to pinball. Now get off your butts and get some leaked pictures up here!!!

#758 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ditto that.
No LCD and 700 LE's for the "real price" of around 8k, I'm thinking premium after the reviews are out.
I agree, world economy and strong dollar have got to hurt overall sales, no? Didn't Stern used to say 50% of their sales come from international?
Our friends in Canada are looking at 12k? WTF, time to tap out at that point.

Even at the premium, I'd have to wait to play it first. I'm not a fan of SPIKE yet. There is something about the games so far that looks and feels cheap. So I want to know if it's just the games they have done, or is it just the way SPIKE games feel. It's a great theme for an epic pin. But the prices are so high now that I'd want to be sure about the game first.

#774 8 years ago

Now that it's Monday, I'm giving thought to Stern doing it this way. On Friday before a long weekend officially say they are releasing GOT, but then giving no details about it purely to get 16 pages of speculation going. Personally I'm finding it a bit irritating that they are dragging it out this way. It's like announcing that you're going to have an announcement. I guess it ok if this game is epic, but if this is some cost cut piece of crap it will come off as insulting.

#866 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Yes..... Waiting THREE days is a horrible insult...
Id much prefer them dribbling out puzzle pieces of playfield schematics over a few YEARS time.... Yeah.... Thats way better.

Completely different and irrelevant situation in this context. Unless you are saying that you like dribbling it out? This is a new way for Stern to announce a game and I was expressing my opinion that I don't care for it. I don't care for it from JJP either. But I don't see a reason to bring them into it.

#918 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#941 8 years ago
Quoted from Sidekick74:

Wow...If these features hold true, this machine has a lot MORE bells & whistles compared to The Hobbit. It will be interesting to play both side by side.

I don't know, that description had a lot of adjectives to live up to.

#1313 8 years ago

Well... oh who am I kidding, I don't like what has been revealed. I want to say something positive, but I just don't feel it. Maybe I can hold out hope that the gameplay is off the charts. If it is another generic mode "shoot the blinking shot" game it won't end up in my gameroom.

#1500 8 years ago

1500 posts? Khaleesi's milkshakes bring the boys to the yard!

#2389 8 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

No way did they gimp it down to increase Premium. It's all about margins.
Slice out $100 of cost on each pro, multiply that by 1000 machines, that's a cool $100,000. Rinse and repeat... On a game like this where Stern is expecting to sell on the theme and designer, it was a no brainer to scale it back as much as possible.

The only downfall in that argument is that they now need to sell 50 more games to make up for the 5000 dollars I won't be sending them.

You can always make the argument that cutting $1 off of 1000 machines saves like... a thousand bucks. But we are talking $5000 machines. Removing and cost cutting in some areas doesn't have that much impact. I don't like the peg legs on my games when I work on them, but it isn't a catastrophe. And I have to admit I don't mind the snap latch lockdown bar (less "fitting" issues with it). But then snip off an entire playfield? Something that will probably be integral to the game like that? Remove the actual throne in game of F-ing thrones? There is a point of diminishing returns.

It has everything to do with steering people to the premium and the higher profit margin associated with that.

#2413 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

If stern really wanted to steer ppl to the premium for a higher profit margin. They would just cut the pro out completely.
But let me guess. You would be complaining about the "pro" having a jump in price to $7500 and how stern just lost a $5000 sale from you because they are a greedy and should be selling it at $5000

It isn't that I would complain, it is that everyone would complain. The $3600 $3900 $4100 $4300 $4600 $4995 game is the niche they own alone. Abandoning it would remove one of their main markets and the differentiation that makes them so critical to the industry. The 5k game is something everyone can point to, and only Stern is doing.

#2519 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ok boys enough about the art it is now entered into Man Law...GOT's art sucks. But will it be a better pinball experience than the Hobbit? Let's admit it they're not looking to take away the crown from Paragon they're out to beat the Hobbit.

So Dwight Sullivan vs Keith Johnson? I think Dwight has only been the lead programmer on one game I really love (Getaway). That game has pretty simplistic (but cool) rules. His other work just doesn't float my boat. Yes, he was listed on a lot of games I dig, but wasn't the lead on them. On the other hand Keith tells massive stories in his games. He makes you part of a different world, and has proven his skill over and over.

In my opinion (and only my opinion), this is a matchup of a man and a boy. And I'm sorry if that sounds insulting to Dwight. He has been in this industry a long time, and has worked on a lot of games. I just think Keith is a freaking weirdo that can spin a yarn in his head and implement that into amazing gameplay. He knows how to give beginners, intermediates, and experts something to shoot for.

#2523 8 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Easily. TH gameplay looks slow, wide open, easy & moribund.

I played it, and I don't agree with your assessment.

#2609 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The sword isn't the actual ball stop, it's just timed with the white post that actually does all the ball manipulation.

I saw that differently. The sword knocks back the other balls before the post then releases the first. So it does look like it changes the movement of the balls.

#3033 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

Who blames Steve Ritchie for the art? How would it make sense to blame him for it? My complaint is that a Steve Ritchie game deserves better art. Chances are good that this game is going to rock, gameplay-wise. The art sucks though. Steve Ritchie's not the artist, so why would he be held accountable?

Watch the video with Steve working on ST. Watch him working with David Thiel on the music. The guy is obsessed. He even had how he wanted the theme and was telling David over and over how he wanted it to sound until it was correct. And you can hear the theme he was bashing on the side of a game that is in ST now. Are you telling me that kind of maniacal obsession doesn't carry to the artwork on his game? I think it does.

#3275 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

It's not Stern's fault, but his point is it could be their problem. Whether due to tax, exchange rate, etc... fewer pins will be sold (in theory) in Canada at Stern's current price point.
Whether Stern cares or not is the real question - I would guess the Canadian market isn't big enough for Stern to get too upset.

Oh, they care. For quite a while Stern has stated that we (Pinside) are not their biggest set of customers. They have also said that overseas is a bigger market than the USA. So now we will see how long that holds true. Canada is not the only place the currency has flipped.

#3469 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Someone said here in a post that Stern will use this melody in the game. Could work great! If they don't use it we have pinball browser!^^

Serious question... Does Pinball Browser work on SPIKE games? It just seems odd they would redo the entire control system and still leave it open.

1 week later
#3880 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

It's ridiculous. It seems like it's every post like that.

Well when a JJP lover (Panzer) posts where a JJP hater (Ballz) can see it, of course it will seem like that. But requesting either of them to not be who they are is just madness. The haters need to accept the love, and the lovers need to accept the hate. Welcome to the world. Pretty much every JJP thread has the opposite side from SilverBallz.

#3936 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I don't hate JJP. I think TH looks great. But I don't forget all the bs that has come out of jacks mouth. I don't like people who lie to get sales. I could go on and on but you Get the point.
I'm looking forward to pats game and just hope it's priced reasonably.
So it's not JJP, it's just JJ.

Well that sounds like horsecrap to me. You seem to hunt down every JJP thread to hate on it. By your own expression that is hate of JJP and not just Jack. I'm not asking you to stop, I'm just pointing out how it always sounds.

And as for:

Quoted from SilverBallz:

I'm looking forward to pats game and just hope it's priced reasonably.

It won't be. I'm also looking forward to it, but unfortunately it will not be priced anything close to what I'd consider to be "reasonable". It will be very expensive, which is where every manufacturer has priced their full featured games.

#4043 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Ok no matter what you guys here will make up that you don't like about this game. So far I think it looks like a lot of fun! And I want to play it right now!

The only thing I'm worried about is being too much like Star Trek with the "shot the lit shot". It has the potential to be coded that way as I look at it. Add in some multiballs, and poof.

And I'm only saying I am worried about it, not that it will be that.

#4054 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

What games don't you "shot the lit shot"

Ha! Nice typo by me!

Well this issue is only with mode based games. And my best example is LOTR. Yes, of course it is shooting the lit shot, but every one of them feels distinctive. As I'm attempting to Kill the Witchking, it's just a combo shot, but the sounds and dots always feel right. On Star Trek, it feels generic and random to me. Nothing ever cracks into that distinctive feeling. Just hey, over here next.

Games break down into a few catagorise for me. The "hit this a bunch of times, then hit it some more" (MB, Tron, IM). The quests (WOZ, LOTR). The big points games (MET, AC/DC). And the "shoot the lit shot" (Transformers, Star Trek, and it looks like GOT).

Each one of them adds some combination to make the game. Toss in some fun Multiballs and poof, it's a game. I like games in every catagory I listed. I was just looking for what is going to make GOT special.

#4144 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

just a bunch of guys having fun playing pinball, what wrong with that? isn't what pinball is supposed to be?

I actually liked that aspect of it. If I unbox a game with some buds, it would sound similar. WTF was that shot. How did you start that mode. Fumble! You suck.

#4178 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This is as bad as you thinking that the Elvira "Ooh, Jackpot!" callout was part of the game too.

It isn't? I'm out!

#4601 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I think it's really unfair to even put GOT in the same conversation as LOTR. Let's not forget, LOTR is Stern's highest ranked pin of all time. And it is considered the greatest integration of theme into pin. From the art, the music, the modes, the playfield, the toys, the ring shot, the aragon sword lock, the legolas bow ramp., the callouts from the movie and Gimli's super jackpot ha ha ha....It's almost perfect. Since GOT was revealed, nothing but gripes.
Did people complain about LOTR when it was revealed?

In case you hadn't noticed, it's a completely different world from when LOTR was released. Technology has made it so we all see every detail. And twitter has taught us that everyone's opinion matters. Even a middle aged doof like me can express an opinion about the crappy art of a game that I've never played. And if I'm persistent and well regarded by a bunch of other middle aged guys, maybe it is respected enough to shape the thought of the world. It happens more and more, and it happens faster and faster. My classic example is Transformers. The public thought is that it was a failure. But every time I play it, I have fun. According to group think I shouldn't, but I do.

Right now all we have is artwork, and some grainy web video of play. We know for a fact that the programmers were working all weekend to pull the game into the shape it was in for that webcast. And seriously, the art isn't so great. But then again the art sucks on Tron too (sorry Centerflank). But I don't care because the package of Tron works. The game is a blast. Maybe this will be a good game, maybe it will be a boring game. I'll let you know after I play it. But until I can, I'll form my opinion on what I have so far.

#4856 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Stern needs real competition in the <$6000 pinball market to bother lowering prices.

Sorry, nobody is going to enter that market. Stern has the infrastructure and proven ability to execute, and they would crush anyone trying to get into that market. It would take someone with pretty deep pockets that could self fund their business, and the payback isn't a good risk for a return on that money. It just isn't worth it.

#4908 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I'll miss Rob.

You could honor him by following him. ?

#5093 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I signed up using my real name just so I could feel superior when this thread came up years later.

Finally! Our time is now!

#5199 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Im a newbie and it amazes me that people can look at a video and determine the game sucks. I sometimes wonder if it's my noob status that makes it so I can't see what these long timers seem to see....

They are not determining if the game sucks... they are determining if THEY think the game sucks for them. And it will happen to you too. After the years roll by you get to understand what you like and don't like in games. At first it is all unicorns and show-ponies. Every game feels like the best game ever made. And then one day you are playing a game and not enjoying it. There is something about that sound, or that shot that doesn't do it for you. Or hey, why can't I see the ball around that corner the time that shot, I hate that. And all of a sudden you realize you don't like movement of the ball you cannot see while playing. Or you hate left orbit shots that stop at a post. You get to understand that there are not that many rule sets in pinball. They are variations of a style, and it is the implementation that can make them great.

So what people are seeing is things that may not work for them. Maybe the upper playfield blocks the view of the ball on the ramp. Maybe the ruleset is just "follow the lights" like Star Trek. What folks are saying is they see something in the game that doesn't fit in with their sensibilities. It is also why Stern is normally careful to not release games in the same rule style one after the other.

As for me, I wouldn't say the game sucks. However, from the video I've seen, it isn't a game I would actively buy right now (even though I am a big fan of the show). But maybe it ends up being the greatest game ever, and if it is, maybe I'll look at it down the road. But nobody can determine where this game will end up over time.

#5312 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Left no real impression.

Kaneda, I'm going to say this. Thanks for the review of the game now that you have played it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.