image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Too soon? LOL
code-is-coming.jpg

Best post of the thread!

#294 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

lol
Game of Thrones = biggest TV franchises going 5+ years strong
The Hobbit = trilogy of bloated movies from 1,2,3 years ago no one talks about anymore

TV/movie success doesn't always translate to pinball success, there are plenty of crappy shows that make fun games and vice-versa. The challenge with TOG is to compress 4000 pages of book material and 50 hours of TV material into a fun and meaningful game experience... the door is wide open for failure, as it is with any game. Play before deciding.

Besides, the source material behind The Hobbit is timeless, it didn't require the movies to be made to be received with enthusiasm.

#301 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

As for the LCD, we have to consider the extreme production time for this pin. Why has Ritchie been MIA for two years?
It certainly wasn't to get this license. The show has been on for years.

Ritchie does what he wants in his own time... it took 2 years for him to design ST, which is a simple rehash of the SM layout. The pinball world will be greatly disappointed if he did not push Stern to replace the DMD in this particular title with the massive amount of time he spent on it.

#357 8 years ago

The quality of the games have nothing to do with my comment. I was addressing the "Stern copied JJP" sentiment, not how successful either machine will or wont be.

Yea but you did that by stating how awesome and relevant bot GoT and LOTR are as compared to TH, which I questioned.

Ultimately licensing is king and LOTR/TH/GOT are 3 of the 4 hottest fantasy licenses available today and are no-brainers for pinball whomever makes them.... the real challenge is getting the Harry Potter license.

#366 8 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

I'm hoping for some sort of medieval castle toy....that shakes and possibly collapses! That would be madness!

Perfect... the battle of blackwater! Add a save Sansa shot in the tower, whitewalker bash toys that pop up from the playfield, dragons over the ramps, I can see it so clearly

#540 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Do i give them credit for improving a horrific design to save their pre-orders? Well, I guess.... But thats survival.
I stand behind the commentary that Stern cannot create anything so disappointing as TH's dragon(ish) head. Why? Because stern will show us a design in the next few days without having said a WORD to hype it!

So the moral of the story is: reveal before completion is bad? For Stern games I see countless mod threads of by Stern customers coming up with solutions to annoying game play and aesthetic issues. There's obviously benefits and drawbacks to each approach, but I'd lean toward customer feedback before finalization as a slightly better approach.

#549 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just to be clear, that first image you posted isn't the 2014 Expo Smaug, it was further behind in development than that.
I think his talking is fine. But ... that's about all he does that's interesting, and when he's not talking he doesn't even look cool, just weirdly turned to the side.

Maybe, but you have to admit it's a lot better than sticking a random toy in a cylinder for the "big reveal"

joker.jpgjoker.jpg

#766 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

The collage of figures on the LOTR playfield had no zero effect on diminishing LOTR as a great game.
Same thing with ACDC for that matter.

I agree playfield art doesn't diminish game play whatsoever, but if it's ugly to look at it will sell less, and sales are a good indicator of a great game. I've heard very few complaints about LOTR artwork, but that Angus mug on the Pro in place of the lower playfield is one reason for the brisk sales of the Premium/LE.

#863 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Really? LOTR art sucks IMHO. Part of the problem is the really shoddy print quality, even on the best of them, and many were worse than that. I really hope that GOT is above that in the quality department, even if we should probably just accept it's going to be photoshopped PR assets.

The resolution is crappy, but it remains the best integration of licensing assets from Stern to date.

#908 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Is that for sure 9k as I heard 8. I also put up for an LE .

$9k is MSRP

#1305 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What sucks is that Steve Ritchie might have a great playing game here. But no one is even speculating about the gameplay because they're so turned off by the sloppy package it's presented in.
If Stern wants to play the "this is the op model, this is the home buyer model" game then they need to realize that home buyers care about the art. And this level of work isn't acceptable for the money they're charging. If you want to crap out some commercial location game where all you need is the brand's logo and some blinking lights then fine. But if you're trying to sell to collectors then put a little effort into it.

This may be a fun player, but it reminds me of the worst era of Stern's playfield and cabinet art. 2 freaking years in the making!!??!

Also THIS is why I've been so opposed to Stern making more than one gameplay platform... Removal of the entire upper playfield is a slap in the face of Pro buyers, so I'm curious to see buyer reactions. I was considering this game, best license in years, double normal game development time, and it ends with lame art and a seriously gimped Pro playfield. For now I can confidently say "I'm out"

#1397 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

How can anyone make statements like this at this point? You haven't played either yet! For all you know that upper playfield could make this game the dog of the century and the Pro a front runner. Other than the art bashing, I really dont get how people can be complaining about these playfield differences yet.

Sure, we don't know what we don't know, but at initial glance, the exclusion on the Pro becomes a dealbreaker for me because I am a fan of upper and lower playfields, and then the barrier to entry is significant @$7k. I've also yet to find a Stern Pro that is a frontrunner over any Premium/LE model, your opinion may differ, but that's mine.

The upper playfield could also be a significant issue if you spend all your time practicing GoT Pro on-location and then enter a tournament with a Premium/LE without a feel for the upper playfield, particularly if there is significant gameplay value up there. It's obviously more involved than ACDC's lower playfield, or TF's mini playfield. I just don't agree with Stern's approach to significant gameplay differences across its models, but at least they offer up the Premiums to avoid the full gameplay being limited to a fixed ceiling of games manufactured.

#1834 8 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

"Players can win valuable random awards and features with Reel PopsTM, a fun new software mechanism, by playing the Pop Bumpers and spinning three virtual spinning reels on the display. When three identical symbols line up, the player is awarded the prize shown on the reels. Earn Gold and spend it on needed weapons and features. An Action Button is featured on the front molding for the largest array of interactive play features ever seen in a pinball machine."

"Earn gold and spend it on needed weapons and features"? No one in GoT is trying to earn gold to get weapons, it's like the designers are treating this game as a generic D&D platform. This is a good example of the root cause behind the negative reaction - the entire package doesn't feel like Game of Thrones.

In a series with so many characters, picking 3 characters for a translite is an odd choice, on most pins Stern splatters the backglass and cabinets with hoards of characters, and it would be far more interesting than picking 3. On the LE they chose Daenarys/Kahl Drogo/Missandei. Like Eddard Stark, Drogo was a series starter but no real lasting impact... Missandei is a better choice because she persists, but why leave out the likes of Mormont, Sir Barriston, and Gray Worm? The entire LE cabinet is 1 dragon, mirrored on each side... can they be even less inspired? For starters, there are 3 dragons...it's a very important detail that says "this is GOT not The Hobbit."

I do like that Stern makes an effort to keep actor faces off the playfields, but the playfield severely lacks artistic vision and detail. Even POTC (which it reminds me of) is also sparse and sand colored but has a touch of artistic flair. The plain grey background behind the shields is the biggest cop-out I've seen, and as mentioned previously shouldn't they be banners? Again this isn't a generic Medieval theme with knights and shields, it's Game of Thrones with families raising banners. And the gears? enough said about that.

And lest I mention the castle. It looks like an awesome playfield with full flippers and inlanes! But Game of Thrones is not about fighting dragons in castles (at least not for the first 5 seasons or first 5 books). I would have themed that playfield about fighting whitewalkers, which is one item that is very specific GOT but just doesn't exist except for backboard art... I don't think the designers understand how core it is to the series. No ships either... Just a castle, or in the case of the Pro, a random castle door in the middle of nowhere.

This whole package smacks of a generic medieval theme, and a real turn-off for fans of the show or the books, as it obviously lacks most details of the show, and there isn't even enough to call it a sufficient generic D&D effort either. Just last month we were debating how difficult it would be for Stern to put 500 hours of TV/4000 pages of plot into this game, and it turns out they punted on all the content. It's the worst of all worlds for fans.

It still may be fun to play, but if this is the result of 2 years worth of design and research into Game of Thrones, I'm seriously baffled. Now the burden is on Dwight Sullivan to capture the core of the series in the software... so there's still a chance!

#1950 8 years ago

Since the "choose your battle" insert is not on the pro, one would have to assume it has something to do with the upper castle playfield.

#1964 8 years ago

Its still there. Different color in the promo stuff for some reason.
The Castle Black insert is missing however.

I see that now, the row of inserts with "Castle Black" has been moved upward in the pro with the removal of the castle, and "Castle Black" is replaced with "Extra Ball" and "Mystery". Does this mean one of the 3 dragons is attacking Castle Black? Where are the other two? If it's not a future spoiler it's just one more example that the game is completely disconnected from the story.

gotinserts.pnggotinserts.png

#1965 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Now that I've seen all of season 1, here is my review:
- Now I see why Ned is nowhere to be found, but a little confused why the Drago guy is on the LE back glass.

My thought as well... a true to the series pinball machine would be latching on to the more enduring characters, not ones with an early death and little relevance on the future.

#2089 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I see that now, the row of inserts with "Castle Black" has been moved upward in the pro with the removal of the castle, and "Castle Black" is replaced with "Extra Ball" and "Mystery".

Adding to this I just realized they moved "Extra Ball" and "Mystery" inserts from the right orbit on the Premium/LE to go in place of the "Castle Black" shot on the Pro. It seems like an unnecessary and ultimately confusing game play change.

#2092 8 years ago
Quoted from dondon4720:

I might be a minority here but I don't think the artwork is horrible, it isn't perfect but I don't think it is a game breaker

You are right, there are quite a few fun games with ugly playfields... the biggest issue I have with this game is its general disconnect with the series. Even if the software helps fill in these gaps, we will have the permanent disconnect etched in laser cut metal... Where did "Fire & Blood" come from when the source material is "A Song of Ice and Fire"? Had they thought about simple details as such I think the playfield design would have reflected the theme in a more cohesive package.

#2098 8 years ago
Quoted from dondon4720:

Fire and Blood was the name of the 10th (last) episode of the first season, with Daenerys Targaryen hathes her dragons from the eggs that she was given when she married Khal Drogo. It actually fits that machine in that aspect because the theme is based around Daenerys and her dragons, It would be really cool if the side rails lit up in red It is also kind of her motto

That's good to know, it may also explain why Kahl Drogo is on the translite since at that point he was still a relevant character.

#2287 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Sorry, but these old time artists are dated, bring in the new blood.......

Lets spin this 180 degrees....The question is this: Why is Stern doing clip-art playfields and cabinets rather than using these "old time artists" to do what they do best? Anyone hear anything but accolades for KISS and MET art? Nope, because they were done old school *without* clip art.

#2360 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Then they're doing it wrong.
If they're afraid of Premiums taking away from the LE sales, then the Limited Editions aren't special enough.

Most brilliant observation in the entire thread! Everyone give this a +1

But then again, Stern's fear of Pros taking Premium or LE sales resulted in GoT Pro... be careful what we ask for.

#2955 8 years ago
Quoted from locdb:

Alright... I'm over the terrible artwork. I'd like to see more complaining about the playfield being stripped down on the Pro.

This is all you'll hear from Pinsiders: "Stop whining, that's why they make 3 models".

Speak with your wallet.

#3012 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't know why people are complaining about the cabinet on the LE. When the Smaug Hobbit came out, people were so happy because all they wanted to see was dragons everywhere. GOT LE has dragons everywhere, and people are still complaining. There's a lot of hypocrisy here, and a lot of people who are never satisfied. (I was happy with the first iteration of Hobbit, btw...)

The LE artwork is nice, and will be regarded highly when people receive the game, but the common complaints are valid:

a) People prefer action shots that reflect the story, not just artificially posed actor portraits pasted side by side as Stern commonly does on Pro models (e.g., ST Pro vs LE). What would a Daenarys action shot be anyhow? In that they can have a pass.

b) The cabinet is just a dragon. It's very well rendered, and it is an action shot, but there is no background to give it context. Where is it? Who or what is it breathing fire at? Where are the other two dragons? In other words if all you had was a pic of the cabinet how would you know it was from GoT vs The Hobbit or any other generic medieval fantasy theme? Again, it's hard to complain about the art quality, the complaint is similar to the playfield issue: it is a single, generic, dragon, not obviously unique to GoT.

So it falls short of a slam dunk and it becomes easy to see why LE buyers are waiting for the Premium reveal to make a choice. If Stern uses the delay to make the Premium artwork the one to beat, it will be worth their while, but they sure are proud of their photorealistic LE backglass. Again complaints will eventually go away, but hesitancy is understandable at this point when you have the playfield issues hanging out there as well.

#3038 8 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

Does anyone know why Stern made GoT their very first paper release of a pin?
Why going public with some inferior render images, when you could just wait a couple more days for the real deal? I can't see any reason for doing this.

It's normal for Stern to release pics and days or weeks later post more detailed images and a video then start building within the month. I doubt real pics will look substantially different as there is only so much one can do with stills and video is nearly impossible to get a feel for the game. Everyone should see it and play it in person to decide... and that's where the catch-22 comes into play... need distributors willing to put all 3 models on the floor or local guinea pigs willing to buy blind (contrary to recommendation) and invite others over to try it out.

#3155 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Customers asked for a throne on the pro. They added one.

Yes, give them credit putting the highly demanded throne in place of the castle... it's better than nothing. It is disappointing they wound up removing the primary reference to wall/whitewalkers to do this, but it's par for the course for a playfield never did an adequate job reflecting the theme in the first place... it's not like Whitewalkers are threatening to take over the seven kingdoms or anything.

Look, Ritchie's way is to design the Premium/LE and then cuts features to come up with the Pro. For ACDC most people were largely good with the Pro, but the Premium/LE sold like wildfire because that is the game as he designed it. For ST, the Premium/LE were largely bling (which is awesome), but with GoT Ritchie chose to design an upper playfield that Stern wouldn't approve for the Pro, and the result was going to be a huge cavernous gap, and obviously no one at Stern cared enough to fill it.

You can blame Ritchie for designing an upper playfield at all, or you can blame Stern for not having a sufficient replacement for it on the Pro, but the fact is this: If you like the game and want the designer's full vision buy the Premium/LE. You're not going to get it from the Pro.

#3175 8 years ago

Stern has likely run a large chunk of the playfields by now (I'd say 1000+) and they would need to ask themselves if an awesome newly designed playfield would boost sales to the point where 1000 finished playfields in the trash would be worth while. JJP decided it was worth it to them, but I doubt they had as many finished playfields to toss.

#3238 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Even with an License to support, so much was possible.
What I can't get over is how no characters are on the playfield. HBO must have prohibited that.

I disagree... keeping actor mugs off the playfield is the best thing that Stern does. Who wants to see a timeless property plastered with actors from a single version of a show and watch it become dated the very next reboot? The Shadow gets no end of criticism for it's actor-based translite. Spider Man has actors from a single rendition that is already out of date (fortunately Stern kept the actors to the plastics and only a little on the translite). How many different Batman pins do we have with different actors plastered on each? Had they all kept to the comic source material they would have remained timeless, but instead they are all dated.

GoT has no animated source material, and the license is largely for the HBO show, so actor mugs is all we have. However I have to give Stern credit for keeping actor mugs to the cabinet and translite art... it's more than plenty, and will give longevity to the title.

#3266 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

You're looking at this from a home based collectors prospective, something that was pretty uncommon until 10 years ago or so.
When all the games you cite were designed, they were trying to grab peoples attention out in public using art from movies that were current. These machines were designed make back their money in a short time then fade into oblivion. There was zero consideration given to winding up in some nerds spare bedroom 20 years down the road.

Yes, and times have changed....home sales > operator sales, and Stern markets 2 of their 3 models to home buyers. They've done a decent job keeping actors off playfields, since Avengers, and as I mentioned in my original post, in many games prior to that.

#3285 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The problem isn't "actors" - themes based on movies/shows are about characters - there's nothing wrong with representing the characters. The problem is when the representation of the characters are just boring headshots or poor compositions. The problem with Shadow isn't that it's "an actor" - it's that it's just a HUGE HEAD dead center staring out into space. It's boring design.

Not much different on ST Pro/Premium... the family portraits are always boring. Actors can be fine if integrated properly in the art work, SM is a good example of this.

#3353 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not trying to start a controversy here but is it possible that Lyman would consider joining JJP and teaming up with Keith again?

I don't think it would be the best idea... Lyman's best games are those he codes by himself. Likely the same with Keith.

#3476 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I have many early 80's B/W's games and just picked up a Stargazer and that era in my opinion has the greatest art of all time when it comes to pinball machines, something special going on in and around 1980 that was magical, I've said this before and its only a hunch but I think GOT is going to have great gameplay, just kinda looks like it will. I hope so.

This sums it up well....nice art is important to a pin owner, and GoT art is no Stargazer even if it winds up being more fun to play.

#3535 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Guys, this thread is DONE. Until gameplay footage happens

Well, there are the clips being released every 2 days...

Quoted from karl:

Those small clips is pointless to me as a buyer. Why not show some gameplay or at least the whole playfield? Even with bare-bone code, anything is better than these tiny clips. Are they supposed to wet my appetite for the game?
Strange pr, if you ask me.

...which, I agree, are very pointless.

#3668 8 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I would rather Stern spend more money on toys and mechs than on the art. And from the looks of GOT Ritchie spent all the money he was allowed and then some for the bom.

On the Premium/LE only...the Pro has a fairly standard set of interactive mechs... dragon w/kickback, battering ram, sword lock, and drop targets.

I'm not sure I'd skimp on art over mechs, as almost every successful game didn't compromise on either. In fact, bad art can overshadow extra toys and mechs.

#3701 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

OK.. I think I got it now, the dragon flaps it's wings and rocks back and forth. Also I think I see a magnet under the pyramid housing.

Yes, the feature matrix lists it as an "animated interactive dragon toy" and a dragon kickback.

#3822 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It's the outhouse! The battering ram is just there to keep Tyrion from settling in with a book. Maybe when the door pops open there's a DMD game to shoot Tywin with a cross bow before he gets his pants up.

Haha. I will never be able to look at that mysterious door any other way. Is the "outhouse" GoT's equivalent of the LOTR LE backglass faux pas?

#3840 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

March / 2012 / AC/DC / Pro / $5699
March / 2012 / AC/DC / Premium / $7699
March / 2012 / AC/DC / LE (2 models) / $8499

Interesting... while ACDC MSRPs were substantially higher than anything else at that time, street prices remained normal for 2012... $4200/5500/6400 or so before shipping. If Stern did another Tron Pro run today, it would have the same MSRP as the LEs originally did

#3960 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

No way they're going to make the premium outshine the LE.

So sure are you? Whether they do it by intention or accident, it happens. IMO Luci outshines both ACDC LE's, and ST Premium outshines STLE. Many people prefer Met Monsters Premium over METLE (though I'm not one of them). Conspiracy theory also tells me they may have stopped powder coating Premium armor just in case they accidentally make the cab/translite better than the LE, it leaves an obvious differentiator.

#3978 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL! STLE is outshined by the Premium? Can I have some of what you're smoking??

I like the "laser red" rails with the Premium theme better than the blue rails on the LE, which is another of Stern's blue-on-blue-on-blue color schemes. Add Aurich's translite to the Premium and the only aesthetic difference left is the laser cut EL rails.

#4429 8 years ago

Did Stern actually modify a playfield in response to customer feedback? It does look better on the Premium, but when a simple color or change of two backgrounds resulted in 60% of the playfield changing, there is obviously a lot of unused space. I'll now put it in the "acceptable" category just like all the cabinet art. Is it only for Premium though? Seems fine to keep the desert feel for the LE, but the Pro could use the darker playfield.. at least it lessens the impact of gear-mania.

I'm still not a fan of putting a few portraits on a relatively plain background, it still smacks of lack of effort, I was really hoping Stern spent a little more time on the Premium after the initial reactions but I don't think they get it. I want to see a scene, I want to feel a connection to the story, have it emote, most B/W games did that, but even the Whitewalker looks like he went to a Sears Portrait Studio for that shot. If that's all HBO allowed Stern to do, it's a shame. The artwork is on par for a Stern game though...not to JJP level, far from Kevin O'Connor's KISS, and not in the ballpark of DD or ZY pinball art ... the custom artists will sell a game on artwork alone.

GoT is going to be all about game play, but it looks positive so far... The Pro looks fun, but I can't get over the fact that it's missing the entire upper playfield leaving only an outhouse, and shots are moved from the Premium/LE. If the upper playfield doesn't fit the Pro price point, fine... having it on the Premium/LE is better than nothing at all. Maybe it's time for Stern to start designing stand-alone Pros rather than being a partial version of the designer's vision.

#4431 8 years ago

Comparison shot... the changes weren't big, but blending and color consistency is significantly better. I like the touches of snowfall on playfield objects.

pf_compare.pngpf_compare.png

#4502 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

But wait, the snow would only rest on the gears if they weren't moving?

Yea, no one knows how to run the Valyrian Steampunk machines, so the gears rusted out.

#4565 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Isn't art suppose to be well, art? The shield is just a design. The chainmail looks a lot better as a design than cheesy photoshop effects. I suppose it would look cool like a real shield but then people would complain that its not artsy enough.

The nit picking is an extension of the general complaint that the story is not fully reflected on the visuals on any of the 3 games, meaning a little change can go a long way as evidenced in with the Premium playfield... so lets give a little credit to the nit pickers of the world

#4619 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

the art sucks on Tron too (sorry Centerflank). But I don't care because the package of Tron works. The game is a blast.

Art is one of the reasons I've never wanted a Tron Pro or ACDC Pro, regardless of quality of game play. They need something substantial to overshadow the poor art decisions like the lighted ramps in a Tron or a lower playfield on ACDC. Customers have had to come up with solutions for Pro models like Eli's Ramps or Angus Face decal, but GoT Pro is missing an entire upper playfield... tough to replace that much.

#4743 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not sure, does the door do anything such as open? What does the battering ram do as far as the rules?

No door action that I'm aware of. The battering ram is one of only 6 primary shots, so it's likely to be an important shot....otherwise it's just a fancy stand-up target.

#4828 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sadly, vid prices are still declining. Much as I'd love to have more dedicated, restored vids, I can't buy into that any more than I have.

Define declining... Just like pins, prices appear to have doubled compared to 7 years ago when I started buying.

#4858 8 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I don't understand this. Game of Thrones Premium is around $6500 street price. TAF goes for $4K minimum, TZ goes for around $5K, and ToM has been fetching $4-4500 all day. Your math seems totally wrong.

Come now, who uses real facts on Pinside?

Actually considering he is from NZ he is likely referring to issues with exchange rate and perhaps low in-country values of B/W games? if this really is the case, some oportunistic folks in the U.S. should be able take advantage and start importing games back here.

1 week later
#5249 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

chainmail where the gradient was on the LE too

Good move on Stern's part... glad to hear it's been done on the LE too.

#5303 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Played a bunch of GOT tonight. Left no real impression. It was ok. No shots were that interesting. My big issue was this. The rainbow light show. The skittles light show just makes no sense for a theme like this. And the light inserts just seem HUGE compared to TBL.

Huge inserts is Ritchie's trademark... It works ok in ST (if you overlook the giant phallus), but they usually feel oversized. It may have made more sense with incandescent bulbs but with the increase in brightness of LEDs it is no longer necessary. A compromise would be to have artwork over the inserts like IJ-W... I love that feature.

The skittles light show is what I always fear when someone converts a LOTR to LEDs... The good news is that it is fixable in GoT via software...the bad news is based on the colors of the house shields, I don't think anything will be done about it as they didn't come up with a cohesive color scheme as was done on LOTR.

Quoted from Aurich:

I think Stern's real stumble on this was showing that 3D rendered art as the reveal. It really amplified the issues. The first LE just rolled off the line, there wasn't time for real photography, so I get it. But still, it did the game no favors.

Actually I think that turned out to be a brilliant idea for Stern. They released a render, received feedback and were able to make changes as a result. The issues with art lacking emotion, and playfield art lacking thematic elements remains. I'm hoping they do a pre-release with a render for all future games.

#5352 8 years ago

I think the upper playfield implementation is impressive. Full sized flippers, inlanes just requires you to make a handful of shots and it gets you back down to the main playfield wanting more. It's not timed like FG, and not a 2-shot sequence like TSPP. The Pro is going to be sorely missing it.

#5370 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just doesn't seem like it plays much of a part in the gameplay though. I cannot tell what they are taking care of when they get up there and make the shots. I do like that the return is quick back to the left flipper if you let the ball just flow through the UP without flipping.

Yes mini playfield doesn't even impede the flow of the game, the ball flows quickly up the ramp and drops into the playfield, hit the lit targets, and it flows back into play depending on the shot. If you watched the feed, you may have noticed it was possible to cradle a ball on the lower flipper while playing the upper playfield. Again, another amazing detail.

As to what the mini playfield adds to the rules, it's hard to tell. Stern has a track record of implementing gadgets on the LEs that don't add significantly to the rules or scoring, like the shaker playfield on TFLE, or hell on ACDC, but this is a whole different deal. I'm thinking that because the Pro doesn't have the mini playfield Dwight purposefully won't make it a substantial part of the game... and this is why I do not like Stern's policy of making 2 different game platforms. On the other hand, if Dwight actually makes it a substantial part of the game, I'll be very impressed, and consider they did it right. Let's see how it goes... fingers crossed!

#5372 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

A great game feature no doubt, but not unique by any means. This is possible on Steve Ritchie's 2006 WPT as well.

Yes, I think most multi-flipper games can do this, was nice to confirm GoT can as well. Just wait until micro switches start being used.

#5376 8 years ago

I like that they had Robert play the game for the stream... so much better than watching everyone else hack away at it.

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Sorry - when you described this as an "amazing detail", I figured that it was a new feature to you.

Agreed, "amazing" wasn't the right word, in fact right after seeing my post I thought about removing it, but was too lazy to click the button

#5402 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

After seeing the LE and PRO, I have to say I prefer the PRO. It doesn't LOOK as cool as the LE, that upper playfield is sweet and big as hell, but the ball seems to travel more freely on the PRO. The most rewarding shot on this pin is the straight up the middle shot that loops around to the right. It's awesome. Collecting House Stark by shooting that shot over and over is TONS OF FUN. I also like how on the PRO the Dragon kick back really kicks the ball back at you with force.

Can you confirm the only real shot difference between the Premium/LE and Pro is the right ramp which feeds the left flipper on the Pro, but has the upper playfield as a layover on the Premium/LE?

If so the only question is whether (a) you like upper playfields at all, and (b) how well that upper playfield is integrated in the code. The reason most people are not fans of mini playfields and video modes is lack of integration with the rest of the game so it feels like an interruption. This is why I really hope the GoT coding crew addresses this longstanding gap.

#5416 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's not surprising that the pro plays faster than the premium / LE...that's what happens when there's very few items on the playfield that interact with the ball and there are two ramps that simply return the ball to the flippers. Personally, I like the addition of the mini playfield on the premium / LE and the variety it adds to the game.

I was thinking along the same lines... what would the ultimate flow game be like? It would be an orbit and 2 ramps each returning to one of the flippers... make each opening 1/4 of the playfield and post shots become a thing of the past. Would that be the ultimate in flowy pins or would it be ultimately boring?

It's from that 4 shot layout that a designer adds other interesting shots and features. GoT Pro has 1 additional shot than goes anywhere, the rest are targets... so flow affectionados should be thrilled with the Pro. I like a little more to a game, so the upper playfield would be a must for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.