image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1003 8 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I find it interesting that most if not all of these photos are Computer Rendered.

Hadn't noticed. Interesting.

Artwork not strong suit on this one. But lots of things happening here.

Fascinating:

Hobbit dragon animated, but no ball action. GoT dragon not animated(?) but ball action.

Hobbit WB real estate, but not a lot of different choices, symmetric layout. GoT nonWB real estate, but many choices and levels.

Between the two, the WB has three flippers, the standard body has four.

Hobbit has MM style trolls. GoT has MM type layout and castle bash.

Hobbit has an LCD. GoT has a DMD video game (?).

Both have lockdown bar buttons.

#1051 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

"Players can win valuable random awards and features with Reel PopsTM, a fun new software mechanism, by playing the Pop Bumpers and spinning three virtual spinning reels on the display. When three identical symbols line up, the player is awarded the prize shown on the reels. Earn Gold and spend it on needed weapons and features."
A slot machine on the DMD is their main advertised feature? I like the concept of earning and spending gold, hopefully the code is good on release. TWD hasn't been updated on route near me. Regardless of what comes out later, some of us route players get stuck with the release code when ops don't update so that's our impression of Stern games.

Software based features are easy for competition to emulate.

#1813 8 years ago

Reading the rule cards, seeing the layout, and knowing SR rep, I think this game is going to be a blast to play.

And it is plain in appearance. But not THAT ugly. Depending on how the light shows are orchestrated with RGB LEDs throughout, it could be downright fantastic. And the upper right playfield looks downright sharp.

If STID could overcome its plainess with its gameplay, GoT certainly will. I can't wait to play this one.

That said, I do agree that Stern missed an opportunity to put together a real killer. Too pinball-purist for a color LCD, but at the same time having a sword video mode? (I for one like BOTH LCDs and video modes, but that's just me. Seems their position is contradictory however).

I would have broken up the LEs into the houses: 100 Lannisters, 100 Baratheons, 100 Targaryans, etc. But who cares? Gameplay and code determines longevity. Not what Photoshop effects were used.

This will be a great game, and modded to no end.

#1888 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I know we're busy hating on the art and all, but can we talk about the layout for a second.
I don't know if it's been brought up, but the layout is Star Trek with an upper playfield.
STvGOT.png
The left vuk and 2 shield targets have been replaced with 3 drops. The remaining shots all align and the right ramps are basically the same.
And what's even more comical, GOT has a vuk the returns the ball to the habitrail.
Remember when ST was supposed to do that?
ST-OrigDesign.png
I guess Steve just couldn't let it go.

The man's got a point.

But that doesn't mean the game won't be fun. In fact, it suggests that it will be. It'll have some Star Trek in it, but slower with the upper playfield being the only route to the left wireform. That one detail alone changes the feel immensely.

Also note that there are MANY games that have similar footprints. Geometry is geometry, after all.

That said, you do have a point. But it cuts both ways is all I'm saying.

If your point is, "Hey, this is just Star Trek, but with more bling, and a higher budget to deliver what SR really intended to deliver," well, a lot of people are going to be AOkay with that. They'll like that just fine.

#2172 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You know what though? It's not just a box you can tick. "Hand drawn art, done, people are gonna love this!"
I actually think people are being overly harsh on the LE art, mostly because they're disappointed with the rest. But my guess is most people saw the LE backglass and just assumed it was put together from PR photos. Because it has that stiff quality. It's just like the WOZ cabinet. It's hand painted, but it might as well be a PR photo, there's no life to it.
I don't think Kevin O'Connor did that great of a job on Kiss. Not his best work. But at least it fit the feel of the game, and was alive. No one dogpiled that. Kiss was basically seen as pretty positive, and it's a fairly barebones game compared to GOT.
Presentation matters.

Man, i thought i was the only one who was meh on the Kiss art! Didn't write on it because not a big Kiss fan anyway, but I saw the backglass and thought it looked like really good high school spiral notebook fan art. Colors are great, but the anatomy was bizarre. And (I think) Gene Simmons' stance was just weird... his legs and feet weren't positioned right to make it look like he was standing at an angle corresponding to the floor. I probably am not making sense, but once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it.

But even there, the Kiss backglass had great color and artistic flourish. It didn't look like a photo, but the cover of a graphic novel. Unlike GoT (LOVE the sketch images for GoT, btw... Would rather have some kick ass inking of those sketches...).

Anyway, read the comment. Had to respond.

#2175 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

Hi All. I'm a newbie on pinside and owning pinball machines (Game of Thrones will be my first), but not a newbie at playing. I've played over a hundred pinball titles, and been playing them since I was 5. Just wanted to give my thoughts after reading dozens of these posts.
Yes, it is a fantasy-themed pinball game with RPG elements married in (using coins to buy weapons, etc) that is adapted from the "World of Game of Thrones", but is not actually Game of Thrones the show or novels. This had to be the case. If the game closely followed the show, with major plot points having torture, sex, rape, family genocide, and brutal violence, who would buy such a dark, disturbing pinball machine? I know I would never let it in my house. And for the people expecting that film clips could have been used for this game, I don't think an Oscar-winning film editor could get rid of all those disturbing images that are major points to the film story. No surprise they had to do their own animations.
As for the playfield art, it looks no worse than some Bally/Williams favorites of mine when you look at them with no lighting. Reminds me a lot like WH20 playfield art actually. I'm betting there will be blue (and probably white) GI to illuminate "the Wall" on the back of the playfield and make it stand out. On facebook Stern said they can light up the whole castle any color they want (That's going to make for some fun effects). I bet with some flashers there is going to be some pretty cool effects on the roof of that castle during white walker mode and wildfire mode (when the lights are all white or green respectively) or the dragon breathing fire. The scattered general illumination on the playfield should also add some shadows to make the playfield look a little "darker". Heck, maybe the castle will even look like it's illuminated by torchlight. I have a feeling Steve Ritchie and the gang are going to put on a better light show than Star Trek (if that's possible).
I'm a ramp guy, and I think having that main ramp hiding under the castle (when your eye cannot judge the shot) is going to be killer! Plus, what are there, over 30+ different shots to make in this game? From the large variety of features they announced I think this game is going to keep a one pinball household (like mine is going be ... in theory) happy for a long time.

I think it will play great, and look great once "alive" with lights. Just that the 2D art isn't as epic as people were expecting, even though clearly art had the budget and effort. Just some questions about the choices.

I think it will be a lot of fun to play. But for the money, I need it to hit on ALL cylinders. NIB, probably not. Gently used, probably yes. On location? Definitely.

#2206 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They did the same thing with TWD, but at least they are acknowledging today that they will sell a premium.
They won't show the artwork because they want to lock in the LE orders.

Agreed, but it's a little Catch-22ish, isn't it?
Who wants to plonk that kind of coin down without seeing the Premium first, especially when the LE and Premium feature lists are so darned comparable?

#2234 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I am a right twat, just ask my 16-year-old son!

I thought they only came one-at-a-time, in the middle.

#2235 8 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

Obviously I'm in the minority here, but the more I look at the LE the more I like it. I loved it when they first showed the pics but funny how all the negativity tends to make you really second guess things.
Just paid my deposit and my distributor will allow me to change to a premium if I like the art better which is a win win for me as far as I'm concerned.

More power to you, whatever floats your boat. I think you will love it, and I think it looks like fun.

Oh, and Evil Dead!

#2533 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The big plus Stern has going with GOT is the mini playfield, throne toy, and door bashing toy. All three of those items interact with the ball directly. The Hobbit is lacking in that department as it's main toy are drop targets which personally don't hold my interest for long. What is behind all of the drop targets? Nothing but standup targets which is...boring. The drop targets in front of Smaug should have been a motorized target bank instead (Attach from Mars style) to add variety and create that unlocking shot feeling for players. There really isn't one toy on The Hobbit that holds the ball where you you think "wow, that's cool", the ball is just bouncing constantly all over the place unless locked by Smaug.
With that being said The Hobbit will likely have the far superior ruleset with Keith Johnson creating over 30 modes for the game, the superior audio package (JJP hired a Hollywood music group, Two Steps From Hell, to create over 30 tracks) with David Thiel working on it, is the far better value (main display LCD, mini LCD toy, motorized large dragon with animated jaw + LED's, shaker motor, invisiglass) and uses original theme character audio (not confirmed for GOT yet).
It's really too early to tell which game will be better as both are not even out yet. Personally I think Stern can close the gap if they step it up in the code department. GOT needs to have a story based ruleset to compete with TH and not take 2-3 years to come out. Also, it remains to be seen if Stern ponied up the extra bucks to use the character show audio. If Stern doesn't have rights to use character show audio then it's going to hurt sales. GOT is a heavily character driven show and its viewers become attached to the shows characters which are brought to life by its actors...to not have those voices in the game (like TWD did) would be a huge mistake.

Well, the Hobbit also has four "trolls" that interact with the ball directly. And as I recall, Hobbit also has a captive ball, which for all intents and purposes, is just like the door bashing toy. And yes, among main toys are the drops. But there are a LOT of individually controlled drops, FWIW. Each of them, arguably, a shot. Also player controlled diverter on the ramps, which also interacts with ball directly.

Doesn't mean it won't be more or less fun. Just sayin' Hobbit has plenty of ball interactivity, too. It just has one flipper less than GoT, and the third flipper is a bit of a mystery (? Smaug kill shot?)...

#2535 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just saw on Stern's Facebook page that actual character audio from the show will be in the game. That's great news.

That is good news.

Of course, if Stern's architecture continues to be accessible via the Pin Browser, heck, WE could put whatever audio we want.

Even genuine Hobbit audio

#2536 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

When I played it I didn;t quite "get it."

Yeah, I haven't been able to play it yet. But that seems to be a consistent question mark: the purpose of the third flipper.

And Go Blue.

#2544 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I don;t want to start a tampon fight in here but never understood the WOZ upper flipper either so maybe it's a legacy.
And I fucking hate UofM football more than anything in the world

That's IT! Tampon fight is ON, man!

...Spartan or Buckeye?

#2546 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Spartan by heart...but anyone playing UofM is my team...even THE osu.
The long hard road of a townie.

We love UM at our house. Both my wife and I attended UM at some point...
... and even we get sick of the fans, admittedly. So I can see where you are coming from. Visiting Ann Arbor and dealing with fans is one thing. Living in Ann Arbor and dealing with them I'm sure is quite another.

Think MSU can take OSU this year (since UM is on year eleven of a five-year rebuild...)?

#2944 8 years ago
Quoted from Iceman5000:

Except average selling price from distros was about $7200 shippped for STLE. Average price for GOTLE shipped is $7900.

But how about TWDLEs?

#3066 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

is that a wide body?

I don't know. I'm just hoping it doesn't come with a shaker motor.

1 week later
#3759 8 years ago

For most of the time of the duration of my pinball hobby, I think I would probably consider focusing on such details of the artwork as has been the case in this thread as a little excessive.

But the current state of high prices for NIB pins, and the diminishing lack of SPACE in my home, mean that every additional pin I purchase NIB really has to have high marks across the board.

That means they have to score solidly in no particular order for ALL the following:

SQUALOR:

-Sound (music AND voice);
-Quality of build;
-Unknown/intangibles (historic interest?);
-Artwork;
-License/theme interest;
-Originality;
-Rules set;

GoT scores for me, from what LITTLE we've seen thus far:
-S=B+ (has real actor call outs, and platform seems compatible with unofficial customization)
-Q=? (who knows: Stern quality on cabinet stickers and Gene's head have been a little shaky, but Stern knows how to build)
-U=B (probably last Stern DMD. Bad because dated, but historically interesting because GoT represents final pin of an era)
-A=C (Not distractingly BAD, but certainly not attractive)
-L=A (GoT is a very, very, recognizable license that has a lot of appeal)
-O=B- (three level ball elevator sounds neat, but this pin just seems like what we've seen before. I'm just not sure we've seen this MANY conventional pin mechtoys on one pin, so that helps)
-R=A- (just reading the rules cards look great and gets me excited to play, but half-grade ding because of software delays means probably won't get to TRY those rules out for a little while...).

So it doesn't seem a BAD pin, but not firing on all cylinders. Certainly one I'd be eager to play on location. But wouldn't be willing to give up the dollars nor space for it since it does not appear to be the complete package.

It'll be fun. Just not NIB fun for me.

#3769 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's a pretty bold claim, care to explain your thinking? I mean, I'm pretty curious myself, but a lot is going to be make/break on that upper playfield, and I won't know how I feel about it until I play it.
I think it's clear the Pro won't be his masterpiece.

I certainly could see the Pro, missing the miniplayfield, being a surprising little speed demon, which, ironically, might make it more SRish than the Premium, with lots of flow.

But his masterpiece? Hmmm.... Well, until it is played, who knows?

#3771 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Rembrandt painted quite a few masterpieces.

I think we mean "magnum opus" when we're writing "masterpiece" here. But your point is taken.

Yes.

#3918 8 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Watch the Pro end up being this flow-monster with amazing refined code in a year, while the LE ends up suffering from WWE Ring syndrome.

Entirely possible.

#4671 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That's because most people are sheep.
They want to be told what to do and told what to like.
Your "gradient" example is a perfect example.
rd

Can I agree with this statement AND genuinely feel that Stern art might not be keeping up with the Jones'?

I'm asking because I'm a sheep.

#4673 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm ready to fight a war over this dragon mechanic.
I say f**kit, I'm going with dragon leans over, and you bash it. It doesn't look designed for it really, but how funny would it be if Stern said to JJP "Oh, they didn't let you hit your dragon toy with the ball? That sucks."

My money is on essentially a Vengeance copy.

Stern dupes toys again and again. That's neither entirely good nor entirely bad. It's not too creative, but it is cost effective AND probably results in greater reliability/availability of repair parts.

It is what it is.

That said, having done my share of whining about GoT, I personally really do like the Premium Black ice playfield as a significant improvement over the Targaryan desert playfield. I wish they'd improve the look of the miniplayfield, but it isn't a deal breaker.

I think there is a real possibility that, for the first time, the PRO model will be the best playing version.

I also think that this really needs to be the last DMD pin for Stern, and that absence of a color LCD is nearly considered a waste-of-a-license in GoT. It will be much more so with the next licensed pin should the DMD remain.

I think the rules set will be great, and is the next logical step of choosing-the-song from ACDC. What SR's layouts are losing in creativity between Spider-Man, AC/DC, STID, and GoT, they're making up for in creative rules, especially GoT. I wouldn't own more than two of those four due to redundancy, and I think based on rules, GoT might be the best of the four. But not based on aesthetics.

Finally, if I were Stern, I think the biggest challenges are actually NOT involving art:

-Need to upgrade to LCD, with expertise in manipulating HD images/sound into pin platform, lest licensing-driven sales collapse due to lack of multimedia experience.
-Perception among hobbyists of premium pricing but bargain-level quality (decal peeling, backbox chipping).
-Pricing Stern pins appropriately along the innovation-versus-proven-design axis. To this add: marketing effectively proven-design philosophy's reliability/on-site servicing advantages.

Despite the art, I actually think Stern has the key ingredient of "Fun" down pat. But there are some definite challenges in the road ahead.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=Rick432 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.