image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EricR.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#414 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Ive got it all figured out, you exchange your canadian $ into Pesos first, you get a ton of them since Mexico is basically worthless and hit the first bodega you come across, see if they will trade you Yen for it. Next hit the post office and buy Forever stamps. You will now wait a few years for the stamps value to increase, at this point you will transfer all your currency into the Euro dollar. Stop off at the bar and enjoy a beverage for all your hard work, then trade it back into the American dollar and you have just nullified the 30%. Fact.

You have a bright future in currency arbitrage!

#837 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i think the le is a good thing for those who wants the extra bling.
the premium we see today is what the pro used to be, like i said in the post above, tspp and lotr was a fine example.
i think on any version the gameplay shouldn't change.
or let say i like the art package on the pro better, can't stand the color of the le/premium.

Quoted from Rarehero:

...and what Stern "used to be" was a company on the brink of collapse with 1 designer and 1 programmer. Now they have a ton of employees and a new factory. Their current way of doing things is CLEARLY working. It's not going to change. Want a cheaper game? Get the Pro. Want more features? Get the Premium. Want something "collectible"? Get the LE.
Done deal, they're not going back.

Ok, I'm going into this post being prepared to be ripped apart.. but I think the problem is that Stern actually has one too few models, not too many. Hear me out.

Everything Rarehero said above is true and logical, yet we still see people frustrated by (and complaining about) the difference between the Pro and the Premium versus what you get. Very often it seems like people really miss a few key features missing on the Pro like the color changing inserts and GI, the spinners, the service rails etc.

So what if Stern offered an upgraded Pro Plus (made up hypothetical title - but appropriate) type of model that would be say $500-$700 more than the current Pro and would have some of those non-mechanical features added? This would be a model where you would get the color changing inserts and GI, along with simple, non-playfield changing additions like spinners and traditional service rails. Things like drop targets, extra mechanical toys, diverters, etc. would still be left out so they could use the same Pro playfields.

I think a lot of people would be happy with that model, including the Operators. I could see operators upgrading to that model for the better light show and minor enhancements to gameplay that wouldn't come with a huge price tag or the impending future maintenance issues due to the extra mechs.

Of course the question would be whether they would gain more in upgrades from Pro to Pro Plus than what they would lose to those that would have bought Premiums instead? I think if the Pro models are really the bulk of their sales as many suggest then this might be a good option for Stern.

A few examples of what I mean, how many people would have paid have paid an extra $500-$700 for these upgrades:
-Metallica Pro with the color changing lights and spinners but without the hammer, snake mouth, and moving cross
-Star Trek Pro with the amazing light show but no moving ship or kickers
-TWD with the good GI and maybe the Woodbury spinner but not the extra toys and magnet

Obviously the model would fit some titles better than others but I think it could really work for some games. Like WWE and Mustang probably wouldn't warrant that model but the ones I mentioned above certainly would and maybe Kiss. Stern could offer this model on games it made sense to but not all.

Ok, commence the tarring and feathering..

#852 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

From a business standpoint, we want to ensure people are buying the highest model we can make them feel comfortable with.. because we want to maximize revenue per transaction, and typically your premium products have higher margins.

In most cases, Stern is doing a reasonable job of differentiating products... but many people gripe because the cheapest product doesn't fit what they want to buy.

This is all of course true. I just get the feeling that many people are put in a position where they want more than the Pro is offering but aren't comfortable upgrading to the Premium. The ~$1800 difference is about 40% of the Pro price so it is a significant upgrade. I think for some titles offering something in between might be an upgrade more buyers would be comfortable with.

Of course I absolutely agree as mentioned before, that the sales figures would have to support this. If Stern thinks that another model between the Pro and Premium would take away more sales of Premiums than what the upgrades from the Pro would warrant then it absolutely would not make sense. I just have to wonder if it wouldn't be the other way around on some tiltes where the Pros appear to be strong sellers in the home market.

#2774 8 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

When you look at Mustang, WWE, and now GoT, I'm starting to think that moving to a new facility cost them enough money that they were forced to reduce their proceeding budgets.
Stern did say that he sees the company more as a manufacturing plant than a pinball design co.
And he put his money where his mouth is, just look at this, it's an actual translite.
9.jpg

Ok, so maybe I'm in the minority but that doesn't seem so bad for a pro translite to me. Its about what I would expect and seems reasonable. I'm sure it wouldn't bother me at all while playing on location anyway.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sopranos literally has the exact same layout with the exception of center shot going all the way to the back of the game instead of stopping at the safe. Basically if the Balrog is out, you have he identical layout.

The right ramp and scoop/lane are swapped too, totally different! I kid.. The two are extremely similar, probably why I like them both, along with so many other games with fan layouts.. like GoT Pro is going to be.

2 weeks later
#4078 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It will be interesting to see how the LE/Premium plays in comparison, because not only do you have the mini pf, but also a drop target that blocks one of the ramps, further reducing the flow until it's knocked down.

I would guess right now that the Pro will be the overwhelmingly preferred model for competitive play. It will be interesting to see how the Premium/LE play differently but this style of play looks really good to me, and I think it will to a lot of tournament players also.

Won't it be ironic if the big feature difference that was supposed to upsell everyone to buy Premiums ends up leading everyone to stick with Pros instead?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EricR.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones?tu=EricR and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.