image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

There are 5,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 114.
#4501 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Actually, I am pretty sure all the inserts should be clear. I mean if you want to give your wife a more accurate example.

Thanks, you're right - I'll post an update later.

#4502 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

But wait, the snow would only rest on the gears if they weren't moving?

Yea, no one knows how to run the Valyrian Steampunk machines, so the gears rusted out.

#4503 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

All I care is to see some game play and be able to play the prem/le myself at expo.
If I can't play it then I am not buying it.

Did you play predator before buying it?

#4504 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Did you play Predator before buying it?

shots fired

#4505 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

nope, played it first

#4506 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

This is not a subtle moment - this is actually where he raises all of the Wildling dead simply by raising his arms. Powerful moment.

Yes, a powerful moment involving a subtle command. Taken out of context and put front and center it looks like zombie Mr. Fantastic.

#4508 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I tried to at MGC, but it was turned off every time I came around that area.

#4509 8 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Well, that's the thing... why only show the machine that was released right before expo? Until recently (just last year?), that's how it was done. They should have any machine that's available for purchase there at the show (and at most shows, but especially Expo).

This is why Stern has distributors... They are the ones there to make games available for purchase.. and Tilt, Cointaker, Marco, etc all fill that need. Stern is there to demo their products and they typically do that hand in hand with their distributors. The whole 'what is the latest game' mix-in with Expo is tied to the legacy that the Expo Tournament traditionally was ran on the new title launched just before expo.

As a business though, why wouldn't you want your machines available to prospective buyers at the biggest show of the year? You spend all that time developing it, the marquee show for your industry is within a short drive, and you decide not to bring your large ticket luxury items to show to your target market?

Clearly Stern (and the companies before them) have set their product schedules around Expo as a major launch in the past. But it's not the end-all-be-all. Some things will ultimately take precedence over having the game available at a certain date.

Imagine if Stern said "there will only be a Pro edition of the game" -- that's the kind of thinking you are driving here.. that the release date is more important than everything else in the business so unless its ready at this target date.. screw it. Stern will have GOT Pro there.. and the other editions aren't ready yet. They are probably just behind schedule... for reasons we don't have confirmation of.

#4510 8 years ago

Considering purchasing a premium. Just a heads up regarding pricing, I'm getting quotes around $400-$500 more then Walking Dead premium quotes I was getting...

Does anyone know if there are modes per house or is just one mode per house? Also, has it been confirmed that original show character audio beyond the custom "The Hound" callouts are in the game?

Thanks!

#4511 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Lots of people will be at expo and looking to buy their next game after they play it. Stern is missing a huge opportuntiy.

Well duh... but you're basically saying "Stern is missing out by missing this marketing opportunity". Duh... the same as every other product that misses it's target ship date.

But you raise this as some dealbreaker... like GOT is going to suffer some new special pain. More games are launched somewhere that is NOT Expo than games that are launched at Expo... so I'm pretty sure GOT and it's potential buyers will somehow manage to carry on.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Is it a miss they can't have the games on the floor? Yes... will it cripple GOT? No.

#4512 8 years ago

Has anybody heard when they plan to start building the premiums? This year or early next year?

#4513 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

Steve Ritchie said the cabinet mockup I made would never fly through approvals, but I think that’s BS. Not because I think there wouldn’t be any issue with my design; I’m sure there are plenty of problems. I’m starting to think the cool metal Stark wolf sigil I used on the cabinet side was just fan art. But I say BS because almost everything I did already had a precedent in some other officially licensed GoT product.

You would know better than Ritchie. All he has done is be involved in pinball for 40 years and be involved with this project in particular for the last couple.

Could they have done a better art package and got it through HBO approvals? Possibly, I don't know. But let it go already. Don't buy the pin and maybe go work for Stern and show them how it should be done.

#4514 8 years ago

Premium looks much better. Small changes like color changes and a little more attention to detail make a huge difference. I don't like the translite, though. I know nothing about the show but definitely needs a woman character instead of all ugly dudes. I don't care who is a main character or whatever. Art could always be better but the biggest disappointment is still the display. Maybe Stern can easily do a color display but just doesn't have the talent to make it look right. It's easy to accept poor dots with the ugly dmd but not with a full color display.

#4515 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes... will it cripple GOT?

pretty sure the high expectations and crappy art did that already.

#4516 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is why Stern has distributors...

I know what you're saying, and that's who they've relied on in the past.. but this is largely an industry show. Think about it like an auto show for example purposes. I don't think Mazda USA says "boy, I sure hope that Don Miller Mazda brings our new car models to the auto show. It would suck if they don't, but hopefully people will buy it anyway... I mean, we posted pictures.."

Quoted from flynnibus:

that's the kind of thinking you are driving here.. that the release date is more important than everything else

I'm really not. I'm not even necessarily talking about GOT Premium, specifically (though yes, I'd like the opportunity to play it there). I don't think it make sense to only show your most recent model, even though you have others still available for sale. I don't recall there ever being a premium model available to try, regardless of release (for example, there wasn't a ST premium or MET premium there last year).

I believe last year was the first time they (Marco, actually, I think) had anything other than the most recently announced game. I thought it curious that they wouldn't show you MET at the show, just because it wasn't released at the right time of year. It was released months prior, is ready, and people can buy it... show it!

#4517 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nope, played it first

How did that work out for ya?

#4518 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Considering purchasing a premium. Just a heads up regarding pricing, I'm getting quotes around $400-$500 more then Walking Dead premium quotes I was getting...

I hope that is not accurate. No way am I going to pay $500.00 more than I did for TWD Premium.

#4519 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am talking about smart business for Stern... not the community.
There is no good business reason for Stern not to have a prem/LE for potential customers to play at the largest and local pinball show in the world which is also timed perfectly for this release.

If Stern is relying on impulse buyers at the show, maybe they don't want to cobble the pro sales by showing the premium at the same time.

Some people upgrade from a pro to a premium later so Stern makes two sales instead of one.

#4520 8 years ago

I thought the LE artwork wasn't as bad as a few people here made it.
But the Premium looks really really good, yes perhaps it always could be better, I would like one character changed. I would like the wilding with the skull head changed to Ygrid. But the left side of this game with Jon Snow and the wildlings attacking the wall looks awesome good. I think that side is perfect!
GoT in the book has many unforgettable moments for me, the show has many of such moments too. But when one meoment stoods out for me.
But the translite is also the best version on the premium:
I think it's not a big spoiler, but when the white walker king rise his arms to rise the fallen and looks straight in jon snows eyes to show him: You have no chance, there is no hope! That moment gives me a shiver every time watching it. And now seeing this moment is on the translite......The white walker king on the translite now looks to the player of the pinball: You have no chance, there is no hope! I HAVE to buy the premium!!!!!

If you want to understand why, search on you tube for "Hardhome" and watch the two parts of this battle.

#4521 8 years ago

I know what you're saying, and that's who they've relied on in the past.. but this is largely an industry show

No, it's a community event that due to its proximity has a greater participation from industry people than most other shows. It's the 'grand daddy'. If you want 'industry show' you're thinking shows like AMOA, etc. Stern does take their personnel and games to shows.. but even at industry shows they tend to be cheap and partner with someone to share booth space.

At ReplayFX, Stern's distributor Cointaker had a full line of Kiss, WoahN, and WWE games. Just like JJP's distributor Pinstar had WoZ and Hobbit.

What would a Stern booth have that a booth by Cointaker not have? Stern works with their distributors to ensure they have the goods to promote Stern at the show. Just like Stern works with the Expo organizers to ensure they have the games for the tournament, etc.

Stern has plenty of presence at the show.. that's a non-issue. The beef people have here is the new product isn't ready yet. Disappointment.. yes. End of world? No. Worth crippling the product or business to make happen?? No.

I'm really not. I'm not even necessarily talking about GOT Premium, specifically (though yes, I'd like the opportunity to play it there). I don't think it make sense to only show your most recent model, even though you have others still available for sale

As the market has gotten healthier, and standing inventory is more common... you've seen more and more titles shown concurrently. With inventory available, more models are being shown concurrently. But balancing that is the unavoidable issue that 'floor models' are big hits on companies. Having 'demo inventory' that is expensive, and expensive to move is EXTREMELY expensive to the company. They want those pieces sold.. not sitting there losing value day after day as free-play machines.

Remember not too long ago.. there was very little inventory in the channel.. and it was a struggle to move what you had.

This isn't a car dealer where the scales and overhead are worlds different.

#4522 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does anyone know if there are modes per house or is just one mode per house? Also, has it been confirmed that original show character audio beyond the custom "The Hound" callouts are in the game?
Thanks!

What's the rush? We don't even know what the dragon does.

#4523 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I hope that is not accurate. No way am I going to pay $500.00 more than I did for TWD Premium.

Don't forget the $400 topper, shaker, Stern castle mod, etc.

Maybe its the Steve Ritchie per pin bonus he negotiated in his last contract, it did take 2 years after all?

#4524 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

[Edit: just found the source for those house sigils. HBO should officially license these because they are awesome: https://www.behance.net/gallery/Game-of-thrones-wallpapers/3985601

Those are hot, followed on Behance. Really well executed, good find.

Quoted from rai:

But it's like Meth on Breaking Bad, they think put a little blue dye in it and the masses won't really care that it's not the real product. They're charging like its Heisenberg's Ice but it's really Cap'n Cooks shit meth.

Upvoted for the best non-car analogy yet!

Quoted from ecurtz:

Wow you guys are quick to forgive. That playfield art is 95% as terrible as the other version. And now looking at those comparison shots it looks like there are icicles hanging off the Castle Black insert on both the icy and desert versions of the playfield, so I guess that make a lot more sense on the Pro.

FWIW I totally agree. But I feel like at least for me personally I've said my piece, and I'm trying to find the positives where I can. The Premium is still disappointing to me, and flawed, but I think it's an improvement, so I'm focusing on that as best I can. We don't know if Stern listened, just already had this, or what. I choose to believe that they made some last minute fixes based on feedback, and we should at least applaud that, even if it's still not awesome.

At the end of the day Stern is still making "commercial" games. For whatever reason they're not truly caring about what the collector market wants. I think that's too bad, but they know the numbers and we don't, so maybe they're doing what's right for them. Feels like a mistake to me, you can serve both, but I don't work for Stern.

At the end of the day this is just a forum, lots of talk, and not much else. Money really talks. I'm not going to tell anyone what they should buy, go with what feels right for you. I won't lie, I'm looking forward to playing the Prem/LE at some point. The Pro not so much. Has the most annoying art package and feels too stripped down, might be the weakest Pro Stern has ever done. I'm sure there will be a crowd that like it because it's fast, and I'm sure Steve Ritchie nailed the geometry in that regard. But I need more than a fast game with every shot returning to the flippers myself to get interested. Upper playfield might provide that. Wish it would be at Expo, but I'll find a chance at some point.

#4525 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What's the rush? We don't even know what the dragon does.

Yeah, your right. I'll definitely wait and see. There are still too many unknowns. Plus who knows how good and well the code will be. I'm probably best off waiting a year to see where the code is at that point. Sterns last two games haven't been supported very well code wise and that makes me nervous as a potential buyer of this game.

#4526 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Those are hot, followed on Behance. Really well executed, good find.

Upvoted for the best non-car analogy yet!

FWIW I totally agree. But I feel like at least for me personally I've said my piece, and I'm trying to find the positives where I can. The Premium is still disappointing to me, and flawed, but I think it's an improvement, so I'm focusing on that as best I can. We don't know if Stern listened, just already had this, or what. I choose to believe that they made some last minute fixes based on feedback, and we should at least applaud that, even if it's still not awesome.
At the end of the day Stern is still making "commercial" games. For whatever reason they're not truly caring about what the collector market wants. I think that's too bad, but they know the numbers and we don't, so maybe they're doing what's right for them. Feels like a mistake to me, you can serve both, but I don't work for Stern.
At the end of the day this is just a forum, lots of talk, and not much else. Money really talks. I'm not going to tell anyone what they should buy, go with what feels right for you. I won't lie, I'm looking forward to playing the Prem/LE at some point. The Pro not so much. Has the most annoying art package and feels too stripped down, might be the weakest Pro Stern has ever done. I'm sure there will be a crowd that like it because it's fast, and I'm sure Steve Ritchie nailed the geometry in that regard. But I need more than a fast game with every shot returning to the flippers myself to get interested. Upper playfield might provide that. Wish it would be at Expo, but I'll find a chance at some point.

I said this before. Gary says home use sales is where the market is.

Think about where u live and think of how many recent titles are on location and then look on pinside for ppl living in your area and see what pins they own.

If stern or JJP sells 3000 titles in Canada n USA. I doubt 1000 of this titles are on location.

Even if there are 200 major cities. That would be an average of 5 titles on location per city which would be a lot in this era of pinball n arcade games

#4527 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

At the end of the day Stern is still making "commercial" games. For whatever reason they're not truly caring about what the collector market wants.

As you say, Stern knows the numbers and perhaps they don't care much about the collector market as the last few games have not resonated with the people in my pinball circle.

There used to always be at least a few excited buyers when Stern announced a new game. I don't think anyone I know has purchased WWE, Kiss or is planning to buy GOT.

#4528 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

At ReplayFX, Stern's distributor Cointaker had a full line of Kiss, WoahN, and WWE games. Just like JJP's distributor Pinstar had WoZ and Hobbit.

^ this is what I'm looking for. I don't care who brings the machines (Stern, CT, Marco), but there should be a presence at the shows. And yes, STERN, JJP, whoever, should be working with their distributors (if that's the route they choose) to make sure their available models are represented. The tournament is fine, but I don't think that's how the majority of people are going to want to demo a machine.

It was better last year than it was in years prior, and hopefully this year will be better than last.

If I didn't have collectors running a route near me, I would not have had a chance to play KISS or WWE to this point. I like new Sterns, and I'm a potential buyer. I assume others like me probably don't have the time to drive around looking for a place that does have an example (possibly hundreds of miles away) just to decide if they like it or not.

I don't think they'd have much issue selling floor models. I would imagine there would be several people that would take the opportunity to get a machine with 2k plays on it to save some cash.

#4529 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

There used to always be at least a few excited buyers when Stern announced a new game. I don't think anyone I know has purchased WWE, Kiss or is planning to buy GOT.

WWE was a massive flop with collectors. Kiss though sold, and they were smart about it. Lot of nostalgia on that one, it was practically a love letter to the Bally version. Good for collectors. I thought the game looked too sparse personally, and Kiss is a turn off, so pass for me, but I'm not surprised at collectors snapping it up.

#4530 8 years ago

^ this is what I'm looking for. I don't care who brings the machines (Stern, CT, Marco), but there should be a presence at the shows. And yes, STERN, JJP, whoever, should be working with their distributors (if that's the route they choose) to make sure their available models are represented. The tournament is fine, but I don't think that's how the majority of people are going to want to demo a machine.

I think this dialogue can be summed up as.. don't paint the rest of the world based on what you see at Expo Expo is it's own beast.

I think at Expo there was motivation in the past as well to keep the 'new game' in the tournament only where people had to pay to play and pump the pot...

I don't think they'd have much issue selling floor models. I would imagine there would be several people that would take the opportunity to get a machine with 2k plays on it to save some cash.

It all depends on the price You gotta price it to move.. and you're competing against a brand new NIB which so many people value now, etc.

#4531 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Samwell, meet Samwell.
LOTR-GOT.png
This translite stands up well to one of the best of all time (for a DMD).

WOW! I didn't expect to get so many downvotes. I mostly did this pic to see how they'd look together in my gameroom. Are people just disagreeing that GoT looks as good as LOTR? I kinda like the contrast - fire and ice.

458588-i.png458588-i.png

#4532 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Are people just disagreeing that GoT looks as good as LOTR?

Yep, not even in the same league.

#4533 8 years ago

I'm surprised they used two of the same characters on the translite and the right cabinet side and in similar positions.

458489-i.jpg458489-i.jpg

#4534 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm surprised they used two of the same characters on the translite and the right cabinet side.

458489-i.jpg

Also, John Snow is shown twice just inches apart! On the left head and translight. It's as ridiculous as the Hobbit LE artwork where Gandalf is shown like 4 times. Plenty of characters to spread around. That's ok...I could live with that. I don't like how the White Walkers torso just fades out into nothingness. It looks unfinished.

#4535 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I can confirm that this is nonsense. Same price as TWD Premium.

#4536 8 years ago

The Premium would look amazing with some white armor and legs.

#4537 8 years ago

I didn't read everything on this Thread, but I don't think Stern changed anything. I think it was the plan from the start to have different playfields. Desert lighter (sand color) and winter darker (blue).

#4538 8 years ago

John, it's Samwise and Samwell.

#4539 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I didn't read everything on this Thread, but I don't think Stern changed anything. I think it was the plan from the start to have different playfields. Desert lighter (sand color) and winter darker (blue).

I agree, but I do think they changed the radial shield effect for chainmail on the premium.

#4540 8 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

White? I was thinking chrome

#4541 8 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Stay tuned for official mods!

#4542 8 years ago

Any idea when premiums will be delivered ? Q1 2016 ?

#4543 8 years ago

soo... Playfield updated. The shield is now made out of chainmail. When have you EVER seen a shield made out of chainmail? Never... Because, you do not make shields out of CHAINMAIL! So other than a shield, that now just uses a flat "pattern overlay" layer style and replaced the brown with blue. Nothing has changed, this is still ugly!

#4544 8 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Any idea when premiums will be delivered ? Q1 2016 ?

Have they shipped out the kiss prem?

Would be a blow if they haven't to kiss prem orders if they shipped got prem first

#4545 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

soo... Playfield updated. The shield is now made out of chainmail. When have you EVER seen a shield made out of chainmail? Never... Because, you do not make shields out of CHAINMAIL! So other than a shield, that now just uses a flat "pattern overlay" layer style and replaced the brown with blue. Nothing has changed, this is still ugly!

It was never a shield, though. It was just a background that had a vaguely shield shape to it. No shield edging, for example. So in the end, it was just a change of a silver gradient background to a chainmail background.

#4546 8 years ago

soo... Playfield updated. The shield is now made out of chainmail. When have you EVER seen a shield made out of chainmail? Never... Because, you do not make shields out of CHAINMAIL!

It's not a real shield its in the shape of a shield. I mean when have you seen a shield made out of two swords and 50 gears?

#4547 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm surprised they used two of the same characters on the translite and the right cabinet side and in similar positions.
458489-i.jpg

floating heads on the translite (jon snow), i'm surprised there is no ferrari shield on each side of the backbox like the pro.

#4548 8 years ago

When have you EVER seen a shield made out of chainmail?

When have you ever seen a dragon?

#4549 8 years ago

The Premium seems to be a definite improvement and I really loved that night's king scene from the show, but for some reason the backglass keeps making me think of the bird girl statue from Bonaventure...

8fb80811607fb440677177e954252ee9.jpg8fb80811607fb440677177e954252ee9.jpg

Or maybe...

Frozen_come_at_me_bro_meme.jpgFrozen_come_at_me_bro_meme.jpg

#4550 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It's not a real shield its in the shape of a shield. I mean when have you seen a shield made out of two swords and 50 gears?

The coat of arms for example. Generally have two weapons and a shield. Normally the shield is styled with art etc. But in this case when you use a flat layer of chainmail, it is very misleading. It is not "abstract, gestural or creative" it is simply lame.

Quoted from sturner:

When have you ever seen a dragon?

Never, but I have seen a freaking shield. That's like comparing a rock to a unicorn.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
There are 5,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones/page/91 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.