image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg
There are 5,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 114.
#4101 8 years ago

That dead flip guy can play. I know it's probably not as difficult as I make it seem. I need to get my technique down, but just that he can make those shots while talking and seems to be half paying attention to the game is fantastic.

While the game is totally growing on me, I don't believe it's any next level above what I have Tron, AcDc, IM, STLE that makes it something you'd say "OMG THIS KNOCKS IT OUT OF THE PARK" more like another solid effort.

Love the theme but they dropped the ball on the art.

So in the interest of having something different I'd probably rather take a wait and see on The Hobbot or JJP #3 or Alien just something different.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Stern pins but have just picked up Tspp and the difference between that and the other games IM on up is a lot different. I'm not saying the new Stern are bad, but they seem generic like Sten has a good system and they just put they game into a template first and then sprinkle in theme and code on top.

Don't get me wrong it's a good template, but they seem to be same old same old. I think a LCD or some alternate shot geometry would make their games more interesting. There have been some variations on the shot layouts like Mustang or WWE but might not have been well received.

The major thing holding me from The Hobbit is I'm not sure I like the layout, and Alien not anything to see yet.

#4102 8 years ago

I went back to the hobbit thread to watch the video. TH just seems so slow compared to GoT pro

Hard to see what the dragon does from a birds eye view

This game is fast. But nothing beats the speed of hitting consecutive a warps on ST

#4103 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That dead flip guy can play.

great dude and great player. If you played for 5hrs plus per day then you would get better also

#4104 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

God forbid that a Stern employee should act like a human being and loosen up a bit. All this criticism of the people who did the live stream just makes it less likely that Stern will do this again. I watched the whole thing and I don't recall Jody saying anything bad. He answered a lot of questions from the chat room, and even confirmed an update for Avengers was coming.
GoT looks really fast, rules seem pretty good at this stage. It would be a good alternative to IM if you prefer this theme. The layout is too similar to IM and MET for me to pick this one up, but I'll enjoy playing it at friends' homes (I hope).

Jody represents Stern. Jody was completely dressed down. I'm not saying dress up, Steve Ritchie looked just fine. Jody looked like a slob. Jody acted immature. That is not the way to represent a company.

#4105 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Jody represents Stern. Jody was completely dressed down. I'm not saying dress up, Steve Ritchie looked just fine. Jody looked like a slob. Jody acted immature. That is not the way to represent a company.

Jody is not the face of Stern. Now if Gary was out there looking like that and acting like that, then I could sort of see your point. Sort of. This isn't a posh company selling $200,000 items to millionaires. Its a pinball company, that sells games for people to let loose and have fun with. You can tell that Jody is passionate about it and enjoys what he does. I didn't take the way he acted or looked out of line at all. Have you been to a pinball show? There are some pretty colorful characters in this community.

#4106 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I thought all the guys were great and I enjoyed watching them have a good time. People just seem to want to be negative and bash anything.

I'll agree they seemed to be having fun and I didn't really care if the occasional "F" word came out. With that said they are still a professional company and should act like wise but they are learning and that's what counts. From the video, what I found was that there seemed to be quite a lot of code done already. Mind you it's not complete but I came out with the sentiment that they are trying to improve the code base on release.

Game wise the game seems lightning fast but I got tired of watching the guys do the same right ramp over and over and over and over and over again. I'll also agree with some people on here.... The dragon was a letdown, which leaves the battering ram and the sword lock... again for the amount of coin needed to purchase one of these...I'm left feeling I'm not getting my money's worth feature wise.

Code = heading in the right direction
Features = lacking
Art = Still bad
Gameplay = fast

#4107 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I wondered this too. People have commented that the ripped video is harder to colourize for the colorDMD, but I wonder if this will be more easily transfered into an lcd screen. Could the current clips have their full colour hidden in the code, only to be reproduced on the current dmd as shades of red? Could there be an easy update once stern moves to lcd?

Hi Guys,

I hate to smash dreams, but thought I'd give a somewhat "technical opinion" to the answer to this question. The LCD will "likely" use the HDMI Port that is on the SPIKE motherboard, which the DMD does not use. To use the HDMI port means all new code for communication to display the animations, which would be a serious rewrite of the message architecture components of the game's code.... So no, it is not an easy update. And after you get the communication path re-done, then you would need to spend the time to re-render all of the animations into a higher-resolution, color format that can be displayed on an HDMI attached LCD screen. Yes, possible to do, but I doubt Stern would spend the time (and money) to do it on a game that's already out the door.

#4108 8 years ago

Man can you guys imagine all the mods that will be created for this game?

#4109 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Jody is not the face of Stern. Now if Gary was out there looking like that and acting like that, then I could sort of see your point. Sort of. This isn't a posh company selling $200,000 items to millionaires. Its a pinball company, that sells games for people to let loose and have fun with. You can tell that Jody is passionate about it and enjoys what he does. I didn't take the way he acted or looked out of line at all. Have you been to a pinball show? There are some pretty colorful characters in this community.

Jody is still a representative of Stern.

I have been to pinball shows. Last one I was at, some teenager was farting next to me because he didn't like how long my game was taking. That doesn't justify Jody to act unprofessional.

#4110 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It was a pinball stream, not the Emmys.

#4111 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It was a pinball stream, not the Emmys.

Agreed. It was much more important.

#4112 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I watched the whole thing and I don't recall Jody saying anything bad.

Some might say that calling someone else a "mother fucker", even in jest, is saying something bad.

#4113 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Some might say that calling someone else a "mother fucker", even in jest, is saying something bad.

Then you wouldn't like Metallica.

#4114 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Game wise the game seems lightning fast but I got tired of watching the guys do the same right ramp over and over and over and over and over again. I'll also agree with some people on here.... The dragon was a letdown, which leaves the battering ram and the sword lock.

The dragon "on paper" is probably as complex or more complex than the Vengeance, but the Vengeance affects the game more, with locks, the drop target, etc. So, yeah, the dragon flaps its wings, but you don't have a lot of interactivity on the playfield.

I suspect the BOM is probably right in line with recent Stern Pros, but as cool as that sword lock is, it doesn't really "do" much affecting the game, and same goes for dragon. So we're left with the Pro looking bare.

I think the LE/premium will really shine though, since there will be more interaction with the ball overall.

#4115 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Then you wouldn't like Metallica.

Why? I owned and loved Metallica.

#4116 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The dragon "on paper" is probably as complex or more complex than the Vengeance, but the Vengeance affects the game more, with locks, the drop target, etc. So, yeah, the dragon flaps its wings, but you don't have a lot of interactivity on the playfield.
I suspect the BOM is probably right in line with recent Stern Pros, but as cool as that sword lock is, it doesn't really "do" much affecting the game, and same goes for dragon. So we're left with the Pro looking bare.
I think the LE/premium will really shine though, since there will be more interaction with the ball overall.

Like the Vengeance, I expect the dragon to do more on the LE/Premium. I'm guessing it will be a much more complex device.

#4117 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

Hi Guys,
I hate to smash dreams, but thought I'd give a somewhat "technical opinion" to the answer to this question. The LCD will "likely" use the HDMI Port that is on the SPIKE motherboard, which the DMD does not use. To use the HDMI port means all new code for communication to display the animations, which would be a serious rewrite of the message architecture components of the game's code.... So no, it is not an easy update. And after you get the communication path re-done, then you would need to spend the time to re-render all of the animations into a higher-resolution, color format that can be displayed on an HDMI attached LCD screen. Yes, possible to do, but I doubt Stern would spend the time (and money) to do it on a game that's already out the door.

Of course swapping the DMD for an LCD would also require a code update, but who's to say half that work isn't already done? They obviously have the video clips already because they ran them through the DMD-ifier. Why would it be a serious rewrite to redirect the display output to another port and why would it be game specific? Why couldn't they just do it for whatever new game, then port that to the older games? If they can sell thousands of LCDs for older games at $300 apiece, you don't think they'd consider an investment in some coding for that?

#4118 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I thought all the guys were great and I enjoyed watching them have a good time. People just seem to want to be negative and bash anything.

Lol... Yes.

If the Stern folks were all in suits, some would find the need to complain becuase "man, those Stern people are all business- not down to earth like the cool (punk rock) boutique guys!"

Pretty good sign for stern.... Now that moved on from the "horrific" issues over drop shadows, we're focusing on the style of the stern people on a 3rd party stream.

#4119 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It just seemed like there were a lot of times I couldn't hear the Dead Flip guy talking to Steve or others because Jody was being so loud.

I agree. Was it totally necessary for him to read aloud every single comment that was being written on the stream? That was so annoying.

#4120 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Have you seen the show?
Yes, they have whitewalker, children of the forest, incest sex, sex, lot of sex, red weddings...........but in the background it's all about the money. Daenerys has the dragons, but needed an army and doesn't know how to reign, she has to learn it. Stannis has to go to the bank to get money.....and blows it away in the snow! The master of coins sometimes is more important than the hand. Did you miss all this? In the game of thrones, in the battle for the throne, they don't have enough money left to stock up the wall, that leaves it vulnerable to the invasion.
"The gold of the lannisters" yes, they have golden hair. But their gold mines gave them the might to do what they are doing. Tywin tries to explain this a few times in the show. The gold mines have no gold left, the money goes out. They have to get it from the bank and the bank wants something in return. The bank is one force behind all what is going on. And that's why the lannisters have to play the game of thrones.
Than we have the religion battles and own intrests. And everyone is forgetting about the real threat and that's the battle of the nature. Winter against summer. The whole setting is fantasy, but with a lot of problems we see in our real world.
And I think Stern did a very good implementation of this aspect of the theme or show in the game. Watch this:
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
After seeing this do you still think that collecting coins has nothing to do with GoT?
Cersei, Stannis, Daeneris...... all try to play the game of thrones. But like you they don't understand the rules of the game. Daeneris tries to learn it. The other two had to go down.
And what nobody understands, the game is not as important as the winter that is coming. This is what GoT makes into a modern fantasy world.
And GoT is NOT a simple big adventure fantasy like hobbit!!!!! It's a dark action packed realistic view of a fantasy world. With real world problems and NOT only a battle between good against evil. If you want this in your theme make it like I will do and buy a hobbit too. I will put both games next to each other and I like both themes cause they have dragons and are fantasy worlds but are very different.

Great point. However, as a long time fan of the books and the show, I still doubt "money" or "gold" would be much of a central part of the way I described the GoT world to another person aside from perhaps "The Lannisters are a traditionally rich house with access to lots of gold" or something like that.

While yes, of course, money is an underlying factor of many if not most of the plots on the show just as it is an underlying factor of most of our daily actions in real life, its still just a commodity in GoT, not the motivation of the main cast characters (that would probably be pride and a desire for power....which, one might argue, is just another facet of pride...).

Showing the grey nature of humanity as opposed to just black and white is what makes the show more dark and realistic than other fantasy themes IMO. Money is part and parcel with that but not frequently the true motivator (except to mercenaries, etc.), and, while important, it really comes across as more of a tangential rather than central theme in most of the GoT story lines to me.

That said, I guess my opinion on this point doesn't actually have that much to do with the game itself. On that front, I do really like what I've seen so far of the game play. The choose a house and collect coins aspects of the game really seem like things I would enjoy and I'm certainly interested to see the Premium. As a fan of the story though, it still really doesn't feel like GoT to me.

#4121 8 years ago

Anyone else think the female voice sounds a lot like Arya?

#4122 8 years ago

I completely enjoyed the stream, and its laid back nature. All the complaints are ridiculous, people wear t-shirts and say fuck, deal with it.

#4123 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Anyone else think the female voice sounds a lot like Arya?

There was a mode where she called out her "kill list" for every made shot - Joffrey, Illan Payne (?), etc. I think that was straight from the show. The "Player 2, you're up" voice was a little disappointing.

#4124 8 years ago

I wear t-shirts and shorts to work every day. I'm wearing the sandlot "You're killing me smalls" t-shirt today.

#4125 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There was a mode where she called out her "kill list" for every made shot - Joffrey, Illan Payne (?), etc. I think that was straight from the show. The "Player 2, you're up" voice was a little disappointing.

Pretty sure the player 1-4, you're up voice is the English pinball fan that they let do some voice work.
However a few times it did sound more like Sansa Stark to me.

#4126 8 years ago

Can't believe some of the negative comments about the twitch feed. Must be a generational thing, I don't know. I sure as hell don't want to see Stern employees dressing up for a late night "fun" reveal of a new pin. He was wearing a star wars shirt for goodness sakes. I'll take that over khakis any day. And if some of you can't handle an f bomb while someone is playing pinball... yikes. not my kind of crowd. "Would you like to come over for tea and play some pinball? Don't forget to wear your khakis. tee hee"

#4127 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

Hi Guys,

Do you believe PC software is written completely differently ("the developer has to rewrite the message architecture components") whether you plug a monitor into the analog VGA port or the HDMI port on your PC? The application developer doesn't care, because there's display-independent device drivers. Whether the Spike's operating system might work that way, we don't know, but to just say it requires a "serious rewrite of the message architecture components" is pure speculation.

One could just as easily speculate that the Spike system could encode the same source material for either the LCD or DMD. It's very technically possible that they could have a display-device independent driver that could flip between DMD and LCD. This would be a fantastic way to evolve from DMD to LCD, and maybe they had the forethought to do this.

It would also be a brilliant and lucrative marketing opportunity: have everything ready for LCD but sell it as an upgrade rather than have it come standard.

Edit: Looks like aobrien5 beat me to the similar point...

#4128 8 years ago

how did they let the miss spelling of "SKIL SHOT" slip thru qc lol.

all in all, game looks pretty well coded this early

dead flip had a crazy long ball time, wonder if that will be the norm?

i would like to see more of the "economics" of the game, ie what you buy and what it gains you.

not sure what collecting the swords does, do you sell them for points/upgrades?

couldnt see the lock down bar button from the camera view, but could tell they used it, not sure what it all controls

looks fun enough to drop quarters in but i doubt im a future owner

#4129 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

all in all, game looks pretty well coded this early
dead flip had a crazy long ball time, wonder if that will be the norm?
i would like to see more of the "economics" of the game, ie what you buy and what it gains you.
not sure what collecting the swords does, do you sell them for points/upgrades?
couldnt see the lock down bar button from the camera view, but could tell they used it, not sure what it all controls
looks fun enough to drop quarters in but i doubt im a future owner

Button controls several functions:

https://img-f.pinside.com/201509/2712148/457489-i.png

#4130 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

Can't believe some of the negative comments about the twitch feed. Must be a generational thing, I don't know. I sure as hell don't want to see Stern employees dressing up for a late night "fun" reveal of a new pin. He was wearing a Star Wars shirt for goodness sakes. I'll take that over khakis any day. And if some of you can't handle an f bomb while someone is playing pinball... yikes. not my kind of crowd. "Would you like to come over for tea and play some pinball? Don't forget to wear your khakis. tee hee"

You apparently can't comprehend the difference between a corporation releasing material for marketing purposes and a private function at your own home.

Of course, throw in some predictable straw men to make your point seem stronger, "dressing up", "playing tea", etc...

I'll do the same: I'm sure those guys are really worried that they're not "your kind of crowd": you can return do your mama's basement and have another joint now...

#4131 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

They didn't. The pin hasn't been released yet, and it was beta code.

#4132 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

You apparently can't comprehend the difference between a corporation releasing material for marketing purposes and a private function at your own home.
Of course, throw in some predictable straw men to make your point seem stronger, "dressing up", "playing tea", etc...
I'll do the same: I'm sure those guys are really worried that they're not "your kind of crowd": you can return do your mama's basement and have another joint now...

I think the OP was being sarcastic.

#4133 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I do live in Colorado so that is entirely possible. Now if only I could talk my mom into buying pins... hmmm

Stern obviously had an audience they were targeting going with Twitch and Dead_Flip. Sorry you weren't part of that audience.

#4134 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

Can't believe some of the negative comments about the twitch feed. Must be a generational thing, I don't know. I sure as hell don't want to see Stern employees dressing up for a late night "fun" reveal of a new pin. He was wearing a Star Wars shirt for goodness sakes. I'll take that over khakis any day. And if some of you can't handle an f bomb while someone is playing pinball... yikes. not my kind of crowd. "Would you like to come over for tea and play some pinball? Don't forget to wear your khakis. tee hee"

How to do it right:

264325-i.jpg264325-i.jpg

#4135 8 years ago

Steve looked a bit shocked when he dropped the F-bomb. Obviously makes sense not to use any foul language on air, but whatever, it happened, I for one wouldn't cry about it like some of you are.

It was also mentioned that Jody was his mouth for the night. Steve & Jim keeping it real. Younger generation are a bit more hyperactive, that's just the way it is.

I enjoyed it, no complaints. Showing new games like this really is the way forward.

#4136 8 years ago

Well we can say a lot of things but wow got play's like hell so fast.
I really like the fast layout and gameplay.
Even the rules are great for a pre-release game.

#4137 8 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Showing new games like this really is the way forward.

yup

#4138 8 years ago

Lets stop trolling about the looks lets play.........

#4139 8 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

I didn't mind what he was wearing or really what he was saying. But his damn hands kept on blocking the view on the play.

#4140 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I wear t-shirts and shorts to work every day. I'm wearing the sandlot "You're killing me smalls" t-shirt today.

You are my new hero Wolfie!

#4141 8 years ago

just a bunch of guys having fun playing pinball, what wrong with that? isn't what pinball is supposed to be?

#4142 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

just a bunch of guys having fun playing pinball, what wrong with that? isn't what pinball is supposed to be?

Back on topic: I remember hearing Dead_Flip say the outlanes we in the middle? Not sure his exact phrase... but is that factory settings or did they make it easier so they could get further into the game?

#4143 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Lets stop trolling about the looks lets play.........

I think that's why people are frustrated actually, is that there was a lot of things distracting from seeing and hearing the game and things about it. It wasn't all Gomez playing with toys over the game though.

The complaints about Jody in a t-shirt seem silly to me. I'm gonna show up to Expo in tshirts (got a different Alien themed one for every day!) and if anyone tells me I don't look professional enough I'm gonna laugh at them. I work for Condé Nast, I know how to dress when I need to, but pinball isn't when I'm busting out my suit and tie clip.

My personal advice though is to be conscious of the cameras, maybe don't stand weirdly on and off of them, really close, and don't stick your hands over the glass. I liked when Steve brought up pinball etiquette. Don't stand next to the game and touch it when someone is playing!

All that aside, I thought the stream was a great idea. So it wasn't perfect. No big deal. I would have liked to have heard the game more clearly, and had some questions addressed a little better, but compared to what we got in the past? 1000x better.

#4144 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

I actually liked that aspect of it. If I unbox a game with some buds, it would sound similar. WTF was that shot. How did you start that mode. Fumble! You suck.

#4145 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I actually liked that aspect of it. If I unbox a game with some buds, it would sound similar. WTF was that shot. How did you start that mode. Fumble! You suck.

Exactly, which is why I enjoyed the stream. In my opinion, there's times to be serious while playing pinball, like if you were in a tournament, and some times to just let loose and enjoy playing pinball with your friends. It's just that personally, I've played pinball on my own for a long time and I haven't had the same experience as people who team up to play machines.

#4146 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

God forbid that a Stern employee should act like a human being and loosen up a bit. All this criticism of the people who did the live stream just makes it less likely that Stern will do this again.

Thank you for mentioning this. Stern does something right here and all some do is bitch about the one guy who could end these live streams. Great job guys. Jody didn't bother me. He was having fun and seemed enthuseastic about the game.

#4147 8 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Thank you for mentioning this. Stern does something right here and all some do is bitch about the one guy who could end these live streams. Great job guys. Jody didn't bother me. He was having fun and seemed enthuseastic about the game.

A part of this may have been that people expected the reveal was going to be much more professional. I'm sure a lot of people who were on the stream had never heard of Dead Flip before and were raging because of that.

#4148 8 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I completely enjoyed the stream, and its laid back nature. All the complaints are ridiculous, people wear t-shirts and say fuck, deal with it.

I agree! Except for the "F" word part. I understand when we play pinball we say these things all the time. It's the first time Stern has done this so lets try to be a little forgiving?

#4149 8 years ago

I enjoyed the Dead Flip stream, although I didn't get to watch the entire thing. I won't bash Jody the way many of you have, but I will say he was a bit distracting, as was George Gomez(who happens to be my favorite designer). I'm looking forward to a time when Jack can do a proper stream from his usual location without all the distractions. I'm probably in the minority when I say I like the dots generated from actual clips of the show. Helps tie the theme more closely with Game of Thrones. I saw quite a few references to actual events in the show and it does seem like the theme is much better integrated than what we saw with TWD.

Yes, the shots seem limited. But it can still be a good game. Looking forward to seeing the premium since that will probably be the version I buy.

#4150 8 years ago

One of my favorite moments was when Jack had to thank "Wet Butt Disease" for joining while he was talking to Steve Ritchie:

wet-butt-disease.pngwet-butt-disease.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones/page/83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.