image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg
There are 5,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 114.
#2601 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Because they don't have it ready yet? Most manufacturers announce a product and then take years to show anything, it has only been four work days since Stern announced GoT.

Paul, Stern has had real machines for previous reveals, and the LEs shipped within 30 days. All we have for this one is computer generated photos and video clips of a white wood. This is not Stern's normal MO.

#2602 8 years ago

Pros are coming off of the line next week supposedly.

The fact that they even have a whitewood LE to show is different. Most of the time we don't get LE footage until well after the announce.

#2603 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Very cool. But isn't that another white plastic ball stop in front of the sword? Looks like the one in LOTR. What's the purpose of that?

The sword isn't the actual ball stop, it's just timed with the white post that actually does all the ball manipulation.

#2604 8 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Paul, Stern has had real machines for previous reveals, and the LEs shipped within 30 days. All we have for this one is computer generated photos and video clips of a white wood. This is not Stern's normal MO.

Never said it was their normal MO. I suggested the reason there are no real shots yet is because they aren't ready. Why aren't they ready? Dunno. Ask Stern.

#2605 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Stern put up a video of the ball lock: https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball?fref=nf
Cooler than it looks, I thought it was just a ball stop.
swordy.gif

That's a really cool ball lock, no denying that.

#2606 8 years ago

Neat mech, bet it uses a single coil too.

Think we should all play this game before we're too much harder on it.

#2607 8 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

That's a really cool ball lock, no denying that.

Who will be the first modder with vinyl blood-splatter for the blade?

#2608 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Scale is for suckers when it comes to pinball mods, just throw random shit everywhere.
hqdefault.jpg

#2609 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The sword isn't the actual ball stop, it's just timed with the white post that actually does all the ball manipulation.

I saw that differently. The sword knocks back the other balls before the post then releases the first. So it does look like it changes the movement of the balls.

#2610 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Agreed. The horse has been beaten, the clubs are bloody, and Stern has obviously hear the message.

#2611 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Neat mech, bet it uses a single coil too.

I think most people actually agree. In fact, 95% or better of the griping is about the art. And even then, I've only seen a handful say that was reason enough to discourage a purchase.

#2612 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I saw that differently. The sword knocks back the other balls before the post then releases the first. So it does look like it changes the movement of the balls.

This is what I see:

3 balls are stacked up, with the white post holding them back. The sword comes down between balls 1 and 2. That pushes 2 and 3 back, and the post drops so ball 1 rolls down.

So the sword itself isn't the thing "holding" the balls, it's the post. But it does hold 2 and 3 back when the white post drops. It's functional, just not the ball stop itself when you're locking them, which is why the white post is there.

I think we're saying the same thing though.

Either way, it's a clever mech.

#2613 8 years ago

I agree with Ben, both are controlled by a single coil. Pretty good design that assures only a single ball is released at a time.

Edit: The sword is the physical ball lock. When the sword is down it stops the balls. When the sword and post are raised all balls roll forward until the first ball strikes the post. When the sword and post are lowered the first ball is released with the remaining balls again being held back by the sword. The ball will only be held by the post for the "beheading".

~"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

#2614 8 years ago

According to this article, they are shipping the first overseas shipment next week. If that is true, then the game is done and they'll spend the next month trickling out little tidbits and building up hype until the official release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/08/game-of-thrones-pinball-machine-first-images-details-and-release-window

#2615 8 years ago

The old ball lock on ZOMBIE PINBALL worked like that - release the one in front, block the one in back, but it wasn't nearly as cool!

BTW aside from the gradient shield, I don't mind the PF look. Steve likes bright games to help people see the ball.

Cab art never gets seen in a collection, and backglass can be changed.

#2616 8 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I agree with Ben, both are controlled by a single coil. Pretty good design that assures only a single ball is released at a time.
Edit: The sword is holding the captured balls. When the sword and post raise all balls roll forward until the first ball strikes the post. The post is one ball length in front of the sword. When the sword and post lower the first ball is released with the remaining balls being held by the sword.

I think you're right. Sword stops the locked ball (s). Sword and post work together to serve up one ball at a time.

Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

looking again at the ball lock, it looks like the ball is going to be stopped every time the right ramp is hit?

I'll bet the mech can raise the sword and lower the post at the same time to let balls pass (sort of like LOTR). It would have to when "ball lock" hasn't been qualified.

#2617 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The old ball lock on ZOMBIE PINBALL worked like that - release the one in front, block the one in back, but it wasn't nearly as cool!
BTW aside from the gradient shield, I don't mind the PF look. Steve likes bright games to help people see the ball.

Stop making so much sense!

#2618 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Stern put up a video of the ball lock: https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball?fref=nf
swordy.gif

that's pretty cool, i'm surprised it's not removed from the pro with a virtual lock.

it will probably slow down the flow a little bit.

#2620 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Stop making so much sense!

I think Ben is making a lot of sense, from the viewpoint of a designer. In the end, it doesn't matter if Steve likes bright colors or if the crappy art cab art can be hidden and the translate will be changed. I wouldn't have been in on this regardless and i'm not here to further stomp on the game. I'm just thinking that for people who are thinking they may spend over 7K on these machines, they have every right to demand that the art package is a home run.

#2621 8 years ago

Ball lock looks great. No accidental double ball releases like on Woz.

#2622 8 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Well Expo is around the corner. So if they are running pros for Euroland next week. I would think that by the time they hit the boat and they land over there it would be time for EXPO here.

So maybe in the larger plan based around EXPO.

chris

#2623 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Because they don't have it ready yet? Most manufacturers announce a product and then take years to show anything, it has only been four work days since Stern announced GoT.

Except Stern didn't need to show GoT to raise money like the other companies you infer... It's unlike Stern from the recent history to show games that don't have a single model near production ready.

#2624 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So does that mean you can buy a 'I don't care about Stern's choices model...' for a cheaper price? Instead you get the luxury of paying a premium for something you don't want, and having to buy the replacement as well. No this isn't fatal, but it sure sux from a pricing point of view.

#2625 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Well to be fair Stern has a bunch of programmers on staff to support the lead JJP not so much.

JJP has Keith Johnson and Ted Estes which are two of the best pinball programmers in the industry. Also, Keith always comes up with unique and interesting modes that other programmers don't implement.

Overall I just think there is more detailed and uniqueness put into Keith's rules then other games I play.

#2626 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Except Stern didn't need to show GoT to raise money like the other companies you infer... It's unlike Stern from the recent history to show games that don't have a single model near production ready.

I think you are inferring meaning from my post that was not intended. All I am saying is:

There are no pictures yet. Most likely reason there are no pictures yet is because Stern doesn't have a machine ready for pictures yet. It has only been four days since it was first announced. Given how long it takes other companies to show anything, perhaps only waiting four days is a bit impatient.

#2627 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

swordy.gif

Lopping off heads sword ball lock.

#2628 8 years ago

As much as I hate large figures on the playfield, I was kinda hoping to see some animated version of The Mountain beheading his horse with the locked balls then flying out of the horse's neck.

#2629 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I think you are inferring meaning from my post that was not intended. All I am saying is:
There are no pictures yet. Most likely reason there are no pictures yet is because Stern doesn't have a machine ready for pictures yet. It has only been four days since it was first announced. Given how long it takes other companies to show anything, perhaps only waiting four days is a bit impatient.

So given your assumption... why should Stern make announcements for games it doesn't have ready? Stern had built up quite a reputation of late for their efficiency in having games production ready and actually shipping games. Given the competition's struggles.. this is a huge experience feather Stern should be wearing proud.

Giving them a pass based on other people's struggles doesn't change how this failure impacts Stern. It also makes you ask 'why now?' - it's not like HBO is needing to advertise the show yet.. the only thing I can understand is the claim that the Pros are starting to ship. So that means the factory is ready and needs to be fed.. the business is waiting to be fed with sales... but the game development itself is way behind. Not showing the premium could be because of the desire to let the LEs sell..

It just shows Stern is cornered here to do the launch.. yet the game isn't ready. what other companies do really has no relevancy here. We are comparing Stern to Stern...

#2630 8 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Is it just me or does the castle look like something my kids built with minecraft on their tablets....

Arr but wait: This will come out from $TERN as a $500 mod upgrade.....

#2631 8 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Arr but wait: This will come out from $TERN as a $500 mod upgrade.....

Oh god no, please don't reuse that 'Microsoft spelled with a dollar sign' plague here. What if that catches on!? The horror!

#2633 8 years ago

I Still hope for a more lotr style fantasy graphics on the playfield for the LE.
This will sell like hotcakes.

#2634 8 years ago

Maybe STERN should listen to its customers like JJP did with their Hobbit playfields, and go back and address the artwork.

#2635 8 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Maybe STERN should listen to its customers like JJP did with their Hobbit playfields, and go back and address the artwork.

HBO won't let them!
HBO had the final say!

#2636 8 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I think that ship has sailed.

Literally, to Europe.

#2637 8 years ago

I'm looking forward to, "Well, at first I thought the artwork was a piece of dog crap, wrapped in childhood cancer, that was directly responsible for the death of my parents... But now it's kind of growing on me!!"

Again... In Ritchie I trust! I'll wait to play it. Then I'll play it with mature code.

Haha

#2638 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I'm looking forward to, "Well, at first I thought the artwork was a piece of dog crap, wrapped in childhood cancer, that was directly responsible for the death of my parents... But now it's kind of growing on me!!"

Little known fact: it was the art on a Stern game that created Batman.

#2639 8 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

JJP started fixing there game 11 months ago still no game.When Stern drops a turd I want them to move on to the next game look forward at all times

#2640 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Again... In Ritchie I trust! I'll wait to play it. Then I'll play it with mature code.
Haha

Steve Ritchie didn't draw that art. It isn't some undiscovered masterpiece that will get better with age. We're allowed to think the game looks cool even if the art sucks

#2641 8 years ago

This is a opportunity for some creative genius like Aurich to come up with a cool looking PF for people to swap this ugly one out with

#2642 8 years ago

Does anyone else see Legend of Zalda (SNES) when they look at the playfield or is it just me.

#2643 8 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Does anyone else see Legend of Zalda (SNES) when they look at the playfield or is it just me.

The first one for Atari with the aweful graphics?

#2644 8 years ago

This is a game (might of been said already, maybe not? lol) that is a cross between Medievil Madness and Lord of The Rings..
2 of the best games of all time....And let's add a Video mode for the Super Win..
this game takes makes #1 in short time.
Easily best Stern ever, and now finally takes over #1 pinball overall since 1997.

#2645 8 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

This is a game (might of been said already, maybe not? lol) that is a cross between Medievil Madness and Lord of the Rings..
2 of the best games of all time....And let's add a Video mode for the Super Win..
Easily best Stern ever, and now finally takes over #1 pinball overall since 1997.

What?

#2646 8 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

This is a game (might of been said already, maybe not? lol) that is a cross between Medievil Madness and Lord of the Rings..

Where did you get that shit your smoking. I want some.

#2647 8 years ago

Hahaha...
Finally will take over the #1 spot....Hehehe.

#2648 8 years ago

After I got out of work, I took a quick stab at what would have made me excited for the GoT cabinet. Obviously it's not going to appeal to everyone, and I'm sure lots of people are going to prefer Stern's effort compared to mine, but according to Stern's Facebook rep they spent months nailing down their look whereas I gave myself a handful of hours. And everyone's tastes are different of course. Not everyone wants a black cabinet, but I've owned TZ, TAF, HS2, RFM, and SC, and I'm a little fond of them. It won't offend me if you don't like it.

I'm going to try the playfield next, but I can't promise to finish that. Huge project.

cab.jpgcab.jpg

For the translite, I imagine it having a mirrored backing, so where you see the flourishes around the logo, and the logo itself, would be reflective. The character montage is missing some key players, like a Baratheon, a Tyrell, etc. I just took what I could quickly find on Google that fit the brooding look I wanted. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a montage of characters on backglasses as long as they are well composited and interesting looking. Like I said in another post, the way the actual translite is setup reminds me of a medieval group photo shoot at a Sears.

The gold T-molding is replaced with mirrored T-molding. Instead of another character montage on the side of the cabinet, I just went with the house motto and sigil. I imagine the opposite side would be House Lannister since the LE model is Targaryen themed. Kept the front of the cab simple. Instead of two random characters, I just have the logo and some flourishes.

#2649 8 years ago

I would buy that LE! Now get to work on the pf.

#2650 8 years ago

Solid effort but get rid of the HBO logo on the back glass

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones/page/53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.