image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
doorpinball.jpg
image.jpeg
eabf21.jpg
Sideart_Game_of_thrones.jpg

There are 5,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 114.
#2151 8 years ago

Ok, so now this has morphed into "Thread of Thrones"

#2152 8 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

only fitting that MM given it's on the line at Stern would have an easter egg In GoT especially given the original artist there on the floor! Just surprised it was found so quickly

Surprised, really? It smacks you in the face.

#2153 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How about airports?
Gotta sneak into the handicapped/children's solo room there. Not as disgusting.

Airports are fine usually.

I can deal with kinda dirty, it's the privacy that bothers me. In a perfect world every bathroom would be a single person room with a deadbolt.

#2154 8 years ago

The game of thrones wolfmarsh will never EVER play...

epe7uga4.jpgepe7uga4.jpg

#2155 8 years ago

regardless of the game theme, what do you all continue to expect from a pinball company that the majority of the designers are from 2 or more decades ago...

nothing new or really innovative is going to come out of stern just due to the fact of the old way of doing things... from the old people.

if you want new designs, you need new people, new direction, new talent that may be guided by the older talent but not stifled by it..

this trend of will continue for as long as the old designers are there. At this point in their careers they should be training replacement apprentices... to carry on the tradition but the new guys will adopt new ways.

this whole game reminds me of my father.... he bout a 76 corvette and completely modded it, painted it, every nut and bolt gone through, its a blown 383... for the money he spent I said dad you could have got a new corvette, lighter, faster, handles better, more fuel efficient etc. why didn't you... he goes to me..... I like the 76... ok fair enough but when you are a designer you cannot have that kind of mental attitude. just because you like it doesn't mean everybody else wants to stay with you in the same time period...

I hope people are understanding my point I am trying to make. that's why JJP, Jpop, etc etc have different quality levels, art levels, and tech levels... they have a newer set of eyes on things.

Game of thrones does not look like games of thrones, it looks like a medieval castle game with dragons, if you can take it for that, and it has good rules and fun play then you may be happy.

I am taking this games as a medieval "castle dragon" game and if the game play is good ill buy one. I wish it had a color display yes. I wish the playfield did not have a silver saucer in the middle but who knows with the lights it may be ok..

#2156 8 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

The game of thrones wolfmarsh will never EVER play...

epe7uga4.jpg

Terrifying.

I am excited to see what all the thingies on the GoT play field do though. The dragon could be really cool or really lame very easily.

#2157 8 years ago

Mr. Aurich,

Do you work for Heighway Pinball?

Quoted from Aurich:

The more I see the art the more terrible it looks, seriously disappointing. But I think ACDC's art is awful too, and I own the game, it plays great, and is a Pinside favorite.
Steve Ritchie and Dwight Sullivan have done it before. Not going to write the actual game off, it could be awesome.
But the presentation just looks like amateur hour. There's no getting around that. And a lot of it isn't something you can pin on the license. It was phoned in, that's all there is to it. This isn't what I was expecting after 2 years of development. It looks like they rushed out the art last week.
Still, looking forward to the first videos and some hands on time at Expo.

#2158 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Terrifying.
I am excited to see what all the thingies on the GoT play field do though. The dragon could be really cool or really lame very easily.

It doesn't interact with the ball.. so coolness factor is limited in my book.

#2159 8 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Mr. Aurich,
Do you work for Heighway Pinball?

Quoted from Aurich:

For the record, I'm not an employee, just a contractor on Alien, but obviously I count as a serious insider here.

#2160 8 years ago
#2161 8 years ago
Quoted from DoubleDanger:

So, I just went back and re-read the official press release for GoT, and this sentence stood out to me:
"In addition, the limited-edition model comes with a certificate of authenticity, a numbered plaque, a designer-autographed playfield, a hand-drawn cabinet and backglass artwork by Bob Stevlic."
I have no idea who Bob Stevlic is, but I find it a little odd that he should get called out in this way for art that's being extremely poorly received, while Steve Ritchie doesn't get mentioned by name anywhere? Is there a reason why Stern chose to simply use the term "designer-autographed"? It seems odd that Steve wouldn't want to be recognized, or that Stern wouldn't want to use his involvement as a selling point. I know he may not be as well-known to the general public, but is he any less famous than Bob Stevlic?

Bob get a call out because people have been whining for hand drawn art now people are bitching about the hand drawn art.

#2162 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Terrifying.

I couldn't agree more, the game looks fun to play. And it could be awesome, art is lacking but it could be fun to play on location and expos.

#2163 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Bob get a call out because people have been whining for hand drawn art now people are bitching about the hand drawn art.

You know what though? It's not just a box you can tick. "Hand drawn art, done, people are gonna love this!"

I actually think people are being overly harsh on the LE art, mostly because they're disappointed with the rest. But my guess is most people saw the LE backglass and just assumed it was put together from PR photos. Because it has that stiff quality. It's just like the WOZ cabinet. It's hand painted, but it might as well be a PR photo, there's no life to it.

I don't think Kevin O'Connor did that great of a job on Kiss. Not his best work. But at least it fit the feel of the game, and was alive. No one dogpiled that. Kiss was basically seen as pretty positive, and it's a fairly barebones game compared to GOT.

Presentation matters.

#2164 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Well, I'm in the camp of people who would argue that if you're going to make it photorealistic, why even bother doing hand-drawn at all? There should at least be SOME stylistic element to it, like you'd see in a Drew Struzan movie poster, or something.

Having said that, my point was really that this is much more Steve Ritchie's game than Bob Stevlic's, so I'm surprised to see one get the recognition but not the other. After a little research, I understand that Stevlic is a respected artist in his own right. But as I said, I think Steve is a much bigger selling point and I was surprised he wasn't mentioned by name.

#2165 8 years ago

So, how do people feel about the art?

#2166 8 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

So, how do people feel about the art?

Most people love it! We need a poll. Looks great!!!

#2167 8 years ago

I am very excited about it. I like the warm earth tones of the playfield and am glad that the art is family friendly. The playfield looks to have many interesting shots and I was hoping they would incorporate getting to choose different houses to play which they did! My wife loves Daenerys and my daughter loves dragons so the fact that the LE is Essos themed is perfect for my house.
I honestly don't get the massive backlash. I see a lot of comments on what people don't like but I am not sure that anything could please everybody. I am a big fan of maps though and like POTC as well so...
All that being said, I am in it for an LE. If I were gunning for a pro, I would feel like I was missing out on some of the really cool features. I kind of see the argument that pro is for location so less things to maintain but I also think that stripping too much out damages the playability. I love my AVLE and think AVPro is unplayable. I hope GoT doesn't fall into that same trap.

#2168 8 years ago
Quoted from WideWorldImports:

if you want new designs, you need new people, new direction, new talent that may be guided by the older talent but not stifled by it..
this trend of will continue for as long as the old designers are there. At this point in their careers they should be training replacement apprentices... to carry on the tradition but the new guys will adopt new ways.

The problem with new ways is they don't always work. Even though pinball is on the rise, I don't know how many bad playing pins a company can survive.

Good, older designers have already learned from the bad paths they have gone down.

Gottliebs from the mid to late 80's had all kinds of unique and interesting playfield layouts, why is it they aren't more highly regarded?

People seem very happy with the way Steve Ritchie games play even though they are of a similar style, so he is holding up his end of the equation. If the rules, sound and art guys hold up their ends, his games will likely be huge successes.

#2169 8 years ago
Quoted from SaneWilly:

am glad that the art is family friendly

But will the DMD animations for "Flayed Man Multiball" be family friendly?

#2170 8 years ago
Quoted from SaneWilly:

I am very excited about it. I like the warm earth tones of the playfield and am glad that the art is family friendly. The playfield looks to have many interesting shots and I was hoping they would incorporate getting to choose different houses to play which they did! My wife loves Daenerys and my daughter loves dragons so the fact that the LE is Essos themed is perfect for my house.
I honestly don't get the massive backlash. I see a lot of comments on what people don't like but I am not sure that anything could please everybody. I am a big fan of maps though and like POTC as well so...
All that being said, I am in it for an LE. If I were gunning for a pro, I would feel like I was missing out on some of the really cool features. I kind of see the argument that pro is for location so less things to maintain but I also think that stripping too much out damages the playability. I love my AVLE and think AVPro is unplayable. I hope GoT doesn't fall into that same trap.

That's cool man that it's a good fit for your game room, art wise at least. I have no doubt the gameplay is going to be great... and I'm glad they didn't go too over the top with the art so your daughter can enjoy it too. Have fun with it!

#2171 8 years ago

Hi All. I'm a newbie on pinside and owning pinball machines (Game of Thrones will be my first), but not a newbie at playing. I've played over a hundred pinball titles, and been playing them since I was 5. Just wanted to give my thoughts after reading dozens of these posts.

Yes, it is a fantasy-themed pinball game with RPG elements married in (using coins to buy weapons, etc) that is adapted from the "World of Game of Thrones", but is not actually Game of Thrones the show or novels. This had to be the case. If the game closely followed the show, with major plot points having torture, sex, rape, family genocide, and brutal violence, who would buy such a dark, disturbing pinball machine? I know I would never let it in my house. And for the people expecting that film clips could have been used for this game, I don't think an Oscar-winning film editor could get rid of all those disturbing images that are major points to the film story. No surprise they had to do their own animations.

As for the playfield art, it looks no worse than some Bally/Williams favorites of mine when you look at them with no lighting. Reminds me a lot like WH20 playfield art actually. I'm betting there will be blue (and probably white) GI to illuminate "the Wall" on the back of the playfield and make it stand out. On facebook Stern said they can light up the whole castle any color they want (That's going to make for some fun effects). I bet with some flashers there is going to be some pretty cool effects on the roof of that castle during white walker mode and wildfire mode (when the lights are all white or green respectively) or the dragon breathing fire. The scattered general illumination on the playfield should also add some shadows to make the playfield look a little "darker". Heck, maybe the castle will even look like it's illuminated by torchlight. I have a feeling Steve Ritchie and the gang are going to put on a better light show than Star Trek (if that's possible).

I'm a ramp guy, and I think having that main ramp hiding under the castle (when your eye cannot judge the shot) is going to be killer! Plus, what are there, over 30+ different shots to make in this game? From the large variety of features they announced I think this game is going to keep a one pinball household (like mine is going be ... in theory) happy for a long time.

#2172 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You know what though? It's not just a box you can tick. "Hand drawn art, done, people are gonna love this!"
I actually think people are being overly harsh on the LE art, mostly because they're disappointed with the rest. But my guess is most people saw the LE backglass and just assumed it was put together from PR photos. Because it has that stiff quality. It's just like the WOZ cabinet. It's hand painted, but it might as well be a PR photo, there's no life to it.
I don't think Kevin O'Connor did that great of a job on Kiss. Not his best work. But at least it fit the feel of the game, and was alive. No one dogpiled that. Kiss was basically seen as pretty positive, and it's a fairly barebones game compared to GOT.
Presentation matters.

Man, i thought i was the only one who was meh on the Kiss art! Didn't write on it because not a big Kiss fan anyway, but I saw the backglass and thought it looked like really good high school spiral notebook fan art. Colors are great, but the anatomy was bizarre. And (I think) Gene Simmons' stance was just weird... his legs and feet weren't positioned right to make it look like he was standing at an angle corresponding to the floor. I probably am not making sense, but once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it.

But even there, the Kiss backglass had great color and artistic flourish. It didn't look like a photo, but the cover of a graphic novel. Unlike GoT (LOVE the sketch images for GoT, btw... Would rather have some kick ass inking of those sketches...).

Anyway, read the comment. Had to respond.

#2173 8 years ago

I can't wait to play it. Steve Ritchie gets a ton of respect from me. I will give his choices the benefit of the doubt, and wait to play the game myself.

It's not what I was hoping for in terms of colour palette, and cab images... But who gives a crap if it plays great??! Not this pinhead.

No LCD?!!? I don't care. That innovation will come to Stern too eventually, but when it does, I hope it's something new. JJP doesn't have the only answer there. Dutch Pinball's screen looks awesome. I'd be excited to see something entirely new from Stern in an upcoming title, it it's clearly not a deal breaker for me. The game takes place under the glass. The rest is a bonus.

I'm admittedly surprised by the difference between the Pro and LE, but the Pro is NOT a zizzle by a long shot. Again, until I play it, I reserve judgment. I HATE the lower playfield in my ACDC. I dislike most mini playfields. TZ is the exception there. GoT upper playfield looks sort of badass though. Lots of shots, and full size flippers... It has a throwback coolness to it.

Code, lighting, and sound could make this game (as with ANY machine!) a force to be reckoned with. We haven't seen any of that yet.

#2174 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

who would buy such a dark, disturbing pinball machine?

Me!!!

#2175 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

Hi All. I'm a newbie on pinside and owning pinball machines (Game of Thrones will be my first), but not a newbie at playing. I've played over a hundred pinball titles, and been playing them since I was 5. Just wanted to give my thoughts after reading dozens of these posts.
Yes, it is a fantasy-themed pinball game with RPG elements married in (using coins to buy weapons, etc) that is adapted from the "World of Game of Thrones", but is not actually Game of Thrones the show or novels. This had to be the case. If the game closely followed the show, with major plot points having torture, sex, rape, family genocide, and brutal violence, who would buy such a dark, disturbing pinball machine? I know I would never let it in my house. And for the people expecting that film clips could have been used for this game, I don't think an Oscar-winning film editor could get rid of all those disturbing images that are major points to the film story. No surprise they had to do their own animations.
As for the playfield art, it looks no worse than some Bally/Williams favorites of mine when you look at them with no lighting. Reminds me a lot like WH20 playfield art actually. I'm betting there will be blue (and probably white) GI to illuminate "the Wall" on the back of the playfield and make it stand out. On facebook Stern said they can light up the whole castle any color they want (That's going to make for some fun effects). I bet with some flashers there is going to be some pretty cool effects on the roof of that castle during white walker mode and wildfire mode (when the lights are all white or green respectively) or the dragon breathing fire. The scattered general illumination on the playfield should also add some shadows to make the playfield look a little "darker". Heck, maybe the castle will even look like it's illuminated by torchlight. I have a feeling Steve Ritchie and the gang are going to put on a better light show than Star Trek (if that's possible).
I'm a ramp guy, and I think having that main ramp hiding under the castle (when your eye cannot judge the shot) is going to be killer! Plus, what are there, over 30+ different shots to make in this game? From the large variety of features they announced I think this game is going to keep a one pinball household (like mine is going be ... in theory) happy for a long time.

I think it will play great, and look great once "alive" with lights. Just that the 2D art isn't as epic as people were expecting, even though clearly art had the budget and effort. Just some questions about the choices.

I think it will be a lot of fun to play. But for the money, I need it to hit on ALL cylinders. NIB, probably not. Gently used, probably yes. On location? Definitely.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2176 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

Steve?

Quoted from Jrnyman:

As for the playfield art, it looks no worse than some Bally/Williams favorites of mine when you look at them with no lighting.

Odd, it looks worse than the Bally/Williams favorites of mine...

#2177 8 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Pause for a moment to reflect on how good our lives are that we can spend so much time bitching about a non-essential $7,000 toy that will spend most of it's life powered-off in someone's basement game room.

the_real_game_of_thrones.jpg

Lived it. Made my way in the world, never looked back, moved on.

#2178 8 years ago

Game of thrones or pinball fx?? You decideimage.jpgimage.jpg

#2179 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Steve?

Odd, it looks worse than the Bally/Williams favorites of mine...

Have to agree with you on this, the art on the play field wouldn't look out of place on one of those toy pinball machines you buy for 4 year olds.

#2180 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

As for the playfield art, it looks no worse than some Bally/Williams favorites of mine when you look at them with no lighting.

Agreed. In a totally dark room with the game turned off, it probably looks just fine.

#2181 8 years ago

11992027_10156070387805241_867340873_n.jpg11992027_10156070387805241_867340873_n.jpg

#2182 8 years ago

Lol, as in Ritchie? If only, would love to design pinball machines for a living! Of course you say that and then you comes the actual hard work.

#2183 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

t's not what I was hoping for in terms of colour palette, and cab images... But who gives a crap if it plays great??! Not this pinhead.
No LCD?!!? I don't care. That innovation will come to Stern too eventually, but when it does, I hope it's something new. JJP doesn't have the only answer there. Dutch Pinball's screen looks awesome. I'd be excited to see something entirely new from Stern in an upcoming title, it it's clearly not a deal breaker for me. The game takes place under the glass. The rest is a bonus.

Problem for me is money and space, otherwise I'd buy every new game.

Instead, I have to be selective, so price, theme, art, sound, rules and gameplay are all factors.

Just "playing great" is not enough for me to buy a game because it has to take the place of other games I have that also play great, have great art, sound, rules, etc...

For good or bad, I'm a value guy. So, I always ask myself, "what else could I buy with this money"?

#2184 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

11992027_10156070387805241_867340873_n.jpg

Will Hitler be posting his reaction on youtube?

#2186 8 years ago
Quoted from Noface:

Game of thrones or pinball fx?? You decide

I'll take a real pinball machine, thanks.

#2187 8 years ago

Plus the color DMD can be remedied when we get a hold of the game and create one with Color DMD they did Metallica what is stopping us from them making one for game of thrones once it comes out.

#2188 8 years ago

I asked on Stern Facebook page if they were holding off on the Premium artwork until all the LE's were sold. It got deleted straight away so I'm assuming it is true.

EDIT: I derped and looked at the wrong Stern post. They didn't delete my comment and replied saying "That is a rumor".

#2189 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I can't wait to play it. Steve Ritchie gets a ton of respect from me. I will give his choices the benefit of the doubt, and wait to play the game myself.
It's not what I was hoping for in terms of colour palette, and cab images... But who gives a crap if it plays great??! Not this pinhead.
I'm admittedly surprised by the difference between the Pro and LE, but the Pro is NOT a zizzle by a long shot. Again, until I play it, I reserve judgment. I HATE the lower playfield in my ACDC. I dislike most mini playfields. TZ is the exception there. GoT upper playfield looks sort of badass though. Lots of shots, and full size flippers... It has a throwback coolness to it.
Code, lighting, and sound could make this game (as with ANY machine!) a force to be reckoned with. We haven't seen any of that yet.

+1, This post sums it up for me. If the game is fun when I hit the start button and the code is there to keep me engaged, then I'm happy.

#2190 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

As for the playfield art[...]Reminds me a lot like WH20 playfield art actually.

This is the most damning thing said about the art in this whole thread.

#2191 8 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

This is the most damning thing said about the art in this whole thread.

I don't get it, is the wh20 art meant to be bad? I think it fits the theme well and looks maybe a bit forgettable but good and non distracting.

#2192 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

As for the playfield art, it looks no worse than some Bally/Williams favorites of mine when you look at them with no lighting. Reminds me a lot like WH20 playfield art actually. I'm betting there will be blue (and probably white) GI to illuminate "the Wall" on the back of the playfield and make it stand out.

If we ever see a play field that blows me away like WH20, an unlicensed theme that you supposedly can't sell these days, I'll be all over it like stink on shiitake .....

Whitewater is pure awesomeness. The layout of GOT is not, artwork aside. Whatever, I'm waiting to be wow'ed like Whitewater.

And btw, its a gorgeous pin.

#2193 8 years ago

WH2O has great playfield art.

wh2opf.jpgwh2opf.jpg
pf-wh20-1.jpgpf-wh20-1.jpg
9443193_orig.jpg9443193_orig.jpg

A lot of love was put into the art.
Whereas GOT's playfield looks like it was rushed for a Zizzle or whatever that crap was called.

#2194 8 years ago

Most would take a real woman also!

#2195 8 years ago

White Water is great. Playfield fits the theme perfectly. So much better composition, layout, and technique, using a lot more limited tool set (limited screened colors vs process color).

#2196 8 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

+1, This post sums it up for me. If the game is fun when I hit the start button and the code is there to keep me engaged, then I'm happy.

You'd part with thousands of dollars for the machine and expect only some good code and some fun? You must be a stern employee, raise your expectations sir!

#2197 8 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

I asked on Stern Facebook page if they were holding off on the Premium artwork until all the LE's were sold. It got deleted straight away so I'm assuming it is true.
EDIT: I derped and looked at the wrong Stern post. They didn't delete my comment and replied saying "That is a rumor".

If the LE's don't sell out we likely won't see a premium. However I expect they will sell all 700 to distributors since the Pro is so neutered. Stern is basically forcing people who want a full featured machine to get a LE until the premium is made available.

#2198 8 years ago

I would like to also add that Bob Stevlic is very talented and did a decent job with the LE translite, the cabinet art on the LE is also hurt by that horrible armor, which could get replaced with these at Marco's:

large-2.jpglarge-2.jpg

But that PF art is horrible. Who did it? He should be fired.

#2199 8 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

If the LE's don't sell out we likely won't see a premium. However I expect they will sell all 700 to distributors since the Pro is so neutered. Stern is basically forcing people who want a full featured machine to get a LE until the premium is made available.

They did the same thing with TWD, but at least they are acknowledging today that they will sell a premium.

They won't show the artwork because they want to lock in the LE orders.

#2200 8 years ago

Sorry, but these old time artists are dated, bring in the new blood.......

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 5,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 114.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-game-of-thrones/page/44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.