(Topic ID: 108481)

Official California For Sale Club (and Wanted too)

By jwwhite15

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,701 posts
  • 683 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by TrevT2
  • Topic is favorited by 460 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1581_(resized).JPG
IMG_5083_(resized).JPG
13879268_1077148662378992_2689413698259788385_n_(resized).jpg
20160807_173110_HDR_(resized).jpg
07_(resized).JPG
06_(resized).JPG
05_(resized).JPG
04_(resized).JPG
03_(resized).JPG
02_(resized).JPG
01_(resized).JPG
DSC00003_(resized).JPG
DSC00012_(resized).JPG
DSC00011_(resized).JPG
DSC00010_(resized).JPG
DSC00008_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whitingjon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8300 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Wow, the prices have really gone up since I bought 3 containers some years back. My BBBB was €500 and all the WPC B games were €700-800 each.
Just beware - the games these days are pretty bad ... mine were pretty good back then, but most of the good stock is long gone. Places in Australia were taking multiple 40ft containers every month for years, and took most of the good stuff. Just the dregs left now.
Most of the games have been in arcades and motorway truck stops, so they have been run 24/7 for 20 years. Lots of burnt boards and hack repairs to keep them running.
So go into it eyes wide open, and certainly don’t expect minters. In fact if you are even remotely fussy, or unable to do repairs, my advice would be don’t buy one.
rd

I am the one that is organizing this container buy.

I just wanted to mention that the seller is is starting to get some newer , slightly used sterns in his possession for sale.
Also, a bunch of his games last time came from a couple private collectors.
He has also started providing short videos of the machines (of course, they dont show much detail, other then it plays and works).

So while I agree with most of what you are saying, there are some good stock to grab up, and not just a bunch of old run down machines.
The part I will completely agree with you on is the eyes wide open part, and the be prepared to need to clean.

#8301 4 years ago

A gentleman by the name of Scott Marion reserved a couple games in the Seattle container buy.
But he did not leave his valid email address.
Tracing the computer address he used when he reserved them appears to come from the Sacramento area.
So I am hoping he is on this thread.
If he is, or anyone knows him, please have him get in contact with me.

Thanks
Jon

#8305 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Are you sure it's not Steve Marion? He's in Lodi area. I don't have contact info, but if it is Steve and not Scott, I can find someone who does.

Sparky , You are totally correct.
It is Steve and not Scott.
I combined to names for people I was trying to reach out to.
If anyone has any info on Steve, I would appreciate it.

#8307 4 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Cool, but you need to tell "the seller" that an average of $3k for many of those thrashed hacked and demolished piles of shit is f'n ridiculous! How do you expect to find buyers at those retarded prices?? Not one of them is worth even HALF of what they're priced at!

@TheOnlyest, I completely agree, and have told him that in a couple differnt ways.

I of course I sent him messages during the buy about a few of the prices.

But the bigger way we have shown this is simply not buying them. There are a few games we have passed on 3 or 4 times over the last couple years.
Now, I will also say that 6 months ago when we did the last buy, he had a probably 40-50 games that were close to 2 years old. Over the last 6 months, as new lists have come out, the number has come down to almost none. He currently has only 9 games that he started selling before 2019. So someone has purchased them (or he did something else).

In the end of the day, I just organize the buys (and get machines also), so if he cant move the machines he has, not my issue.

10 months later
#9133 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballPat:

Thanks for the replies! Below is a copy of what was posted in the nwpinbuyers group with a link to the order list. If you’re interested in reserving some pins, please make sure you’re serious about it. Jon puts in a lot of effort and money to get the shipment executed for no additional fee. If you have any questions, please post in the nwpinbuyers forum thread so there are more people to answer or look up nwpinbuyers on google.groups.com
Hey folks! You probably know a bunch of local pinheads put together container pin orders once or twice a year, where we order games from Europe that come in on a shipping container. We are starting to put together the next order, if anyone is interested, follow the link to check out the games, prices, photos and you can make a reservation if you are in. Some basics on a container buy:
-Assume games have wear, broken plastics, hacks, missing parts, etc. Look at the photos carefully. Most work or sorta work, but they need a lot of clean up and some degree of replacement parts.
-Shipping averages $200-$250 per pin.
-Prices are in Euros, the exchange rate does change.
-Games get delivered to Kirkland, WA.
-Payment is due before we sign the deal with the vendor. This is all done by local collectors, no profit, Jon that organizes it puts a ton of work and capital on the line to make it happen. For free.
-There are lots more details, bug me if you want them.
http://container.proludio.com/

I wanted to follow up, since I the "Jon" mentioned.
There were a lot of new people that reserved games in our latest overseas container buy, and I am guessing that some might have been from this group.
Didn't anyone have any questions or any interest in joining in on our container purchase?

1 week later
#9193 3 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

And of those new games being added, will the best deals be picked off by the organizers before they even show up on the list?

@vicjw66, as the organizer, I want you to know that I only did that once on a Bonzia Run I really wanted .
No seriously, just a little joke.

Letting others on the list that we have up here know in advance only happens the very 1st time we start the buy, or when we add a whole bunch of games.
After that, when I add a couple games (like the 5 a day the overseas seller adds), unless I happen to be giving an update to people that have already reserved games, its fair game. The only time I tend to give a heads up to people is if for some reason they lost out on a particular game (like the seller already sold it before I could reserve it).

Getting different people (new people that come along) a fair shot at games at a good deal is something that we struggle with every time, me personally more then others. We do this to "bring in more games to our collections, the Northwest and to continue to grow our pinball scene and community." The same people buying all the best deals doesn't really do that. What I have found is that everyone is looking for a great deal, on a set of games they want. There are older EM game people, there are new Stern people, there are people looking for that one game they have been looking for years for, there are people that want more games to route, there are people like me that for some reason want projects. These buys are not for everyone, and I have even talked people out of buying if I think they are getting in over their heads (this is the first machine I am buying, ah, no its not <g>.

One last thing I wanted to add. It was mentioned that we are recruiting people to help subsidize the shipping cost. This is me being nitpicky (and not mad about it), but there is no recruiting being done. Someone that has been part of a buy in the past posted it here since he in moving to your area.

And the shipping costs. The shipping cost of a 40 foot container is roughly $7k. It will hold a max of 50 machines. Fill it all the way, and it is $140 a machine. Put 40 in, and it is $175. With only 30 games, we probably go a 20 foot container, which oddly enough only lowers the shipping costs to roughly $6400. So 30 machines makes it $213. So while I will say that bringing in extra people and machines will lower the shipping costs for everyone, if everyone is buying 2 machines, each person saves at most $75 a machine. It is savings, but not a huge savings.

#9194 3 years ago
Quoted from ElkGrovePinball:

How did you get your game to NorCal and how much time do you have to make pickup or delivery arrangements?

I have lots of extra room to store games. My only rule, if it is a game I havnt seen before, it might just get unwrapped, setup, power converted, and tried out <g>

I leave shipping and getting the games to everyone their job. I will galdly help on my end, put game on pallet, wrap games, be here when someone wants to pick it up, etc. I just wont make arrangements for everything.

I've been known to deliver games locally to Seattle area, and even met people half way to Portland. I'm easy (my wife hates that part of me).

One way I did check on for someone in California was Amtrak. Since Seattle is a major hub for them, and has a loading doc, and they have a train that goes down the coast, they would ship as long as it was on a pallet. Sacramento and La were 2 destinations they could deliver to. And the price was scary good. I'm not sure they still do this, but might be worth checking out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whitingjon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-california-for-sale-club-and-wanted-too?tu=whitingjon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.