(Topic ID: 108481)

Official California For Sale Club (and Wanted too)

By jwwhite15

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,710 posts
  • 683 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Gumby510
  • Topic is favorited by 461 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1581_(resized).JPG
IMG_5083_(resized).JPG
13879268_1077148662378992_2689413698259788385_n_(resized).jpg
20160807_173110_HDR_(resized).jpg
07_(resized).JPG
06_(resized).JPG
05_(resized).JPG
04_(resized).JPG
03_(resized).JPG
02_(resized).JPG
01_(resized).JPG
DSC00003_(resized).JPG
DSC00012_(resized).JPG
DSC00011_(resized).JPG
DSC00010_(resized).JPG
DSC00008_(resized).JPG
There are 12,710 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 255.
#2901 8 years ago

Looking for a Star Trek Pro if anyone has one they are thinking of selling...

#2902 8 years ago

Any one interested in a project Space Shuttle?
All the parts are there, and the plastics look to be in good shape (however some are warped). I tried to clean up the playfield, but it is planking too much to be cleaned. The cabinet head needs repainting also. One the plus side, it works and plays well. However, a remote backup battery needs to be installed. I am hoping to get $600 for it.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2903 8 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

However, a remote backup battery needs to be installed. I am hoping to get $600 for it

PM sent

#2904 8 years ago

gone

#2905 8 years ago
Quoted from doomid:

Just got a Dr. Who in a trade. Has topper. Full LED, Colordmd, flipper fidelity speakers, superbands and installing cliffys tomorrow when they show up. Slight cab fade and some insert wear at red boxes in front of expander. No errors, plays great.
Asking 2950. Will post pictures tomorow.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

I wish dr. Who's weren't so expensive these days I'd be all over it.

BTW
Judge dredd for sale as well:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-judge-dredd-bally-1993-2007

#2906 8 years ago

Agreed. I think the most I ever paid was for Medieval Madness (or maybe it was Tales of the Arabian Nights): if I recall, they were both $2200.00. The ToTAN was a private sale from a collector in Salinas, and I got the MM from Betson off route. Purchased both around 2005-2006.

I don't think we'll ever see prices like that again.

Greg

#2907 8 years ago
Quoted from doomid:

Just got a Dr. Who in a trade. Has topper. Full LED, Colordmd, flipper fidelity speakers, superbands and installing cliffys tomorrow when they show up. Slight cab fade and some insert wear at red boxes in front of expander. No errors, plays great.
Asking 2800. Will post pictures tomorow.

Very good price especially considering it has a colorDMD.

#2908 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Very good price especially considering it has a colorDMD.

Yeah, that price is amazing. Congrats to whoever is picking this up!

#2909 8 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

Agreed. I think the most I ever paid was for Medieval Madness (or maybe it was Tales of the Arabian Nights): if I recall, they were both $2200.00. The ToTAN was a private sale from a collector in Salinas, and I got the MM from Betson off route. Purchased both around 2005-2006.
Greg

Good for you. Did that feel expensive at the time? I think MMs were already $8K and rising when I got into the hobby.

#2910 8 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

Greg

Yeah, they are not making any more of those machines. Unless the economy takes a huge dive, we may never see prices like that again.

#2911 8 years ago

@NorCalRealtor-

At the time, the prices DID seem high, although after physically inspecting the machines in person, I reckoned it wouldn't cost me much in parts (I don't count time spent on machines as money-that's why it's a HOBBY to me) to restore them to 100% operation, so I went ahead and purchased therm. I've been in the hobby since 1976, so one could say that I've been exposed to market fluctuations before, but not nearly as bad as it is now-strictly focusing on pinball.
The one thing I can honestly say has improved in recent times is parts availability. There for awhile after Williams closed up shop, a lot of us were sweating bullets trying to find one-off machine specific parts, and paying huge markups if we could even find them. So thanks to all of the renewed interest in pinball (and the money to be had) parts are now more available than I can ever recall before.
To be blunt, I suck at playing the game. My interest has always been more focused on the repair and restoration-that's where I get my satisfaction from. Used games off route used to be cheap to find, maybe not so cheap to repair, but I'm pretty sure the time to find cheap solid state machines just for the fun of repairing them is long gone.

Time will tell.

Greg

#2913 8 years ago

Anyone do Playfield restoration or know of anyone who will do it in site? I'm in the SoCal area and have some light ghosting around some inserts.
Thanks

#2914 8 years ago

Thinking of trading my Dr. Who for a Johnny Mnemonic, Congo, Getaway, Who Dunnit or Black Knight 2000. The Dr. Who is in very nice shape, cab is very nice, touched up where needed, nice color, head is slightly faded, playfield is nice, plays great, Mini playfield works great. Cab has no drill holes. Has new buttons, glass, coin door was repainted. Looking for the above games in just as nice shape as the Dr. Who. Thanks Mike Paris

P1080615.JPGP1080615.JPG
P1080582.JPGP1080582.JPG
P1080583.JPGP1080583.JPG
P1080607.JPGP1080607.JPG
P1080595.JPGP1080595.JPG
P1080593.JPGP1080593.JPG
P1080594.JPGP1080594.JPG
P1080605.JPGP1080605.JPG
P1080611.JPGP1080611.JPG
P1080588.JPGP1080588.JPG
P1080589.JPGP1080589.JPG
P1080590.JPGP1080590.JPG

P1080586.JPGP1080586.JPG

#2915 8 years ago

Funny how the Dr. Who's are crawling out from California. Not to long ago I was in the desperate mode looking all over the country for one.

#2916 8 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Thinking of trading my Dr. Who for a Johnny Mnemonic, Congo, Getaway, Who Dunnit or Black Knight 2000. The Dr. Who is in very nice shape, cab is very nice, touched up where needed, nice color, head is slightly faded, playfield is nice, plays great, Mini playfield works great. Cab has no drill holes. Has new buttons, glass, coin door was repainted. Looking for the above games in just as nice shape as the Dr. Who. Thanks Mike Paris

How about trading that Scared Stiff?

#2917 8 years ago

Looking for a nice players condition Guns and Roses. Cab can have blemishes and some bruises. Would like it to have nice playfield though. I have a game, or two, I could throw in as a trade as well. I'm in Santa Clarita

#2918 8 years ago

Funny how the Dr. Who's are crawling out from California. Not to long ago I was in the desperate mode looking all over the country for one.

Well if you believe the tin-foil crowd: lots of a certain pin for sale = repros coming soon!

#2919 8 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

I have a Getaway that I have considered a "keeper" (LED'd, Mountain Mod, DMD Extender, Blue Police Flashers Topper, transparent rubbers, chrome flipper bats), however, I'd probably let it go for a DW... I didn't bother sending a PM, since I distance is a killer. If you were closer, I'd probably ask to come check it out.

#2920 8 years ago

Distance is always a problem in this hobby.

#2921 8 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Bah! You guys could meet halfway at Harris Ranch in Coalinga - 3 hours each way.

#2922 8 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Not if you use Sly Fox Shipping. So impressed how fast and reliable he was. The cocktail pin I bought was from LA area. He picked it up Saturday and delivered it 8:30am Sunday for around $150. However, word of advice. Remember to really look at the photos when you buy remote. The CC cocktail pin I bought was on the ugly side. But, I blame myself for not looking close enough at the photos.

#2923 8 years ago

Thats my issue. I believe its safer to trade than sell (no waiting for "the" pin) Trades can be problems too...
No matter how it works out, someones not gonna see (or didn't read into) something.

I'd hate to look at something, first hand, and double-check photos #doing a face-palm#, knowing that it's too far to go back.

That being said, if there was someone local (NorCal)with a Dr Who that was looking for a Getaway....

#2924 8 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Thats my issue. I believe its safer to trade than sell (no waiting for "the" pin) Trades can be problems too...
No matter how it works out, someones not gonna see (or didn't read into) something.
I'd hate to look at something, first hand, and double-check photos #doing a face-palm#, knowing that it's too far to go back.
That being said, if there was someone local (NorCal)with a Dr Who that was looking for a Getaway....

Photos are hard. You may get a slew of them and you look at them all and you get excited and that is when you become blind to details. I have bought from across the country several times from VERY good pinsiders. They all turned out exactly as expected. "why?" because the seller pointed out everything they could think of before they shipped it 3,000 miles without expecting the buyer to "ask". I got burned on my Caribbean Cruise but don't let that stop you from buying or trade. Just ask questions, and very very simple ((ask for photos of the worst parts of the pin)) and then you should be good. But most importantly the seller should be honest. He KNOWS what is wrong with a pin. Anyone that sells a pin knowing it has a dead skunk inside it and you did not notice for any reason in the photos. Is a bad seller. Sorry, wont say names. "dapperdan24"

In the END... Sly Fox Shipping via LA area to Bay Area... Very nice guy, I recommend him.

#2925 8 years ago

**********WOW***********

dapperdan24 is Deactivated already. So, needless to say... Bad Seller. Good news, it was $650 + $150 + tip for a Cocktail Pin that needs a lot of work. I am just happy it was not a $4k holy grail pin. I consider this like a pinside traffic violation. My fault, DONT do it again.

#2926 8 years ago

Should have a good amount of funds by the end of next week.

Looking for some early Bally or early stern love.

Skateball
Seawitch
Stargazer
Quicksilver
Cheetah

OR maybe 2 of the above titles.

Also, super interested in getting in a nice haunted house, or spirit even.

Let me know.

#2927 8 years ago

In true Carribean Cruise fashion.

#2928 8 years ago

**********WOW***********
dapperdan24 is Deactivated already. So, needless to say... Bad Seller. Good news, it was $650 + $150 + tip for a Cocktail Pin that needs a lot of work. I am just happy it was not a $4k holy grail pin. I consider this like a pinside traffic violation. My fault, DONT do it again.

I got the Night Moves at PAGG last year for $700 in players conditions.
I have a feeling these pins in general are not going to be found in good condition
I was actually surprised at the prices of these cocktails dapper was selling as they seemed low
That being said, I have obviously not seen your Cruise or know the details

#2929 8 years ago

Jean-Luc-Picard, I had been regretting getting sick the day I was supposed to look at those 2 cocktail pins. I was still considering looking at his Night Moves, but not anymore. It is a bummer to hear you got burned on the one I was told was the better of the 2

#2930 8 years ago
Quoted from Tatersalad321:

Jean-Luc-Picard, I had been regretting getting sick the day I was supposed to look at those 2 cocktail pins. I was still considering looking at his Night Moves, but not anymore. It is a bummer to hear you got burned on the one I was told was the better of the 2

Again I blame myself. This could have been avoided if I looked closer at the photos. I think the seller should have mentioned the issue ... Regardless.... In the end... my fault.

#2931 8 years ago

Unfortunately pictures don't really show as much as we think.
Even when I try my best to take a picture of anything I seem to have trouble getting the details I want to be visible.
And there is a lot of stuff on a pin!
Looking a pin person I have limited success if it's a new title to me, and I too get caught up in the excitement of the acquiring the machine.
That being said...my experience has been that many people are in fact not aware of their machines as much as you might think for various reasons, their perceptions and descriptions are subjective, or omitting detail is acceptable to them.
I have had things go sideways on NIB delivered, a high end restored pins by a reputable business, and pin community members of good standing. All interesting stories.
I just take it for granted now that any pin I might buy has a 50% chance of being a repair PITA or parts money hole ( PITA...hole...). Perhaps not as nice looking as I thought after I get it home (was that a date or a pinball machine?)

But yeah, I commend you on accepting responsibility.

Even though I could describe some rude surprises from people you would really not expect in our community, I am not one to out people (GEORGE RILEY cough...cough) in these forums...
except for GEORGE RILEY
Did I say GEORGE RILEY?
Search the forums for the Todd and George Riley "punked" fiasco.
I believe Riley'd or some spelling variation of that was a term used for a while on RGP after that LOL!

#2932 8 years ago

The whole pictures thing is kind of interesting, based on my observations so far being new here. There are a number of different factors.

First of all, most people are not experienced photographers. They will tend to take so-so photos, usually with their phones. These generally are ok for a snapshot, but not great to get a detailed look. Some, of course, are just horrible out of focus pics that don't show much.

Second, pinball machines aren't particularly easy to photograph to begin with, for a number of reasons. They tend to be sitting in a low-light situation like a garage, and that doesn't help. With low light you will tend to open up the aperture and this will reduce the depth of field, which reduces the detail across the image. The playfield is under glass, and both the glass and the backglass tend to reflect and also will heavily pick up the flash. And when the lights are turned on, it plays havoc with the camera settings due to the spot brightness of the lamps.

Third, there is the reading of the pictures. This is one of the things that fascinates me when I read a lot of these threads. The more experienced people seem to be able to spot little things I would never notice in a million years. There will be some picture of a playfield that isn't even that great of a photograph, and someone will comment "I see that there is a scratch in the upper right corner under the plastic". I will look at it again, and even then just barely be able to see it. It amazes me how much the experienced people can recognize from these photos.

I got one machine where the seller sent me a lot of photos before I went and saw it, which was great. When I looked at the photos, I thought, well, the cabinet paint doesn't look all that great. But, that's OK, everything is as I expect for the price. Then, when I saw it in person, I thought, wow, that cabinet paint doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought, in fact other that some obvious scratches and such here and there, it actually looks pretty good. (It was even better when I got it home and cleaned it). So, your eyes can be fooled either way.

The bottom line, the pictures are very helpful, but an honest seller who supplements them with an accurate description of everything is the best. And in the end, seeing it with your own eyes first is probably the best of all, but not always practical. A good example is here, with the Mr Fox guy we all have a reasonable way to make purchases from each other across the vastness of the central valley between SoCal and NorCal. That expands the geography where we can make a purchase without having to pay a big shipping fee, but means we would need to rely on the seller for a good description.

For me, I make enough trips up north that I could probably go see one one without much problem if there were one up there I wanted bad enough.

#2933 8 years ago

What do Caribbean cruises usually sell for? $650 seems pretty cheap

I agree though. I bought a WW a while back and while it was a great game, I overpaid by $700-800 because of some imperfections the seller failed to mention and I failed to ask about. It's tough to buy without a real visual inspection. For the price of a Southwest ticket, it would be better to see with your own eyes.

#2934 8 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

What do Caribbean cruises usually sell for? $650 seems pretty cheap
I agree though. I bought a WW a while back and while it was a great game, I overpaid by $700-800 because of some imperfections the seller failed to mention and I failed to ask about. It's tough to buy without a real visual inspection. For the price of a Southwest ticket, it would be better to see with your own eyes.

Just a few years ago you couldn't give them away. 200 was the norm.

#2935 8 years ago

He KNOWS what is wrong with a pin. Anyone that sells a pin knowing it has a dead skunk inside it and you did not notice for any reason in the photos. Is a bad seller. Sorry, wont say names.

Sorry to hear that J-L-P. I am surprised to say the least. I remember a while back "HE" was at the root of another sell gone bad. I actually defended him because my 2 experiences with him were positive. He seemed like a nice and straight guy. I hate to hear about this stuff. Regardless of where we are in the grand "monetary scale" scheme of things no one wants to be be taken advantage of. It also surprises me that 'his' account is deactivated. I guess looking back on one of the deals maybe he wasn't looking out for me but his own pocket.
Anywho, any kind of transaction that deals with distance is tough. I guess because I try to be as honest as possible I assume others here do the same. I know that is the wrong approach but I want to think yall are all very nice and honest.
Yes, that does bite me sometimes. Not too long ago I received a Pin with some distance involved and it had a lot more problems than I was told about. I was kind of upset at first but I guess at least I can fix other people's (that is now mine) sh1t.
There does seem to be some bad apples here and I think we could all tell a story and give others the virtual finger, but I also have to stop and think about all of the wonderful people I have met here and new friendships that have been created. Bottom line is I know there is at least a dozen places I can travel and meet up with super Pinsiders...when they are not out of town, yeah I'm lookin at you PDX .

#2936 8 years ago

Anyone that sells a pin knowing it has a dead skunk inside it and you did not notice for any reason in the photos. Is a bad seller. Sorry, wont say names. "dapperdan24"
In the END... Sly Fox Shipping via LA area to Bay Area... Very nice guy, I recommend him.

Wait, is this sarcasm, or did the game really have a dead skunk in it??

#2937 8 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

That being said...my experience has been that many people are in fact not aware of their machines as much as you might think for various reasons, their perceptions and descriptions are subjective...

I'm guilty of this. Sold a Fathom I knew had been touched up in the center of the playfield and let the buyer know this. I was surprised when the buyer showed me the great job he did repainting the area above the upper rollovers. Some of the artwork had been painted over black. I had never noticed that area wasn't original.

I knew the guy I bought it from and he was super anal when it came to touch-ups. He did such a good job on the touch-ups in the center of the playfield it didn't occur to me to look for wear in an unusual area.

#2938 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Wait, is this sarcasm, or did the game really have a dead skunk in it??

lol, well it would be gross if that happened but sure would be a great story. Just sarcasm

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Just a few years ago you couldn't give them away. 200 was the norm.

$650-$ 800 is high end in my opinion. At that price it should not have a botched playfield done by a caveman. However, I am not too worried about it. $650 is not that much now days, which is why I did not pay proper attention.

#2939 8 years ago

lol, well it would be gross if that happened but sure would be a great story. Just sarcasm

$650-$ 800 is high end in my opinion. At that price it should not have a botched playfield done by a caveman. However, I am not too worried about it. $650 is not that much now days, which is why I did not pay proper attention.

I wasn't sure. It is still early, and have had 0 caffeine.

#2940 8 years ago

You mean like this?

pg-34-botched-job-1-ap_(resized).jpgpg-34-botched-job-1-ap_(resized).jpg

#2941 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You mean like this?

Haha EXACTLY like this... This person may be the one who tried touching up the playfield. Honestly think the person used their finger to repair parts of the playfield. One part, a parrot's head is just painted red so it looks like it was blown off lol. I would have rather had the pin untouched and down to wood.

#2942 8 years ago

Haha EXACTLY like this... This person may be the one who tried touching up the playfield. Honestly think the person used their finger to repair parts of the playfield. One part, a parrot's head is just painted red so it looks like it was blown off lol. I would have rather had the pin untouched and down to wood.

Too funny. If you don't mind sharing, post some playfield pics so we can all have a chuckle.

#2943 8 years ago

**********WOW***********

Curious - what was wrong with it? What do you consider "a lot of work"? I've seen a ton of Caribbean Cruises and they're never "perfect".

#2944 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Curious - what was wrong with it? What do you consider "a lot of work"? I've seen a ton of Caribbean Cruises and they're never "perfect".

Cosmetic, I need to remove mylar, sand down thick red paint. Re-paint a parrot, inserts and so on. All things I am capable of doing, but when you are not expecting to see this when you bring it home, it is alarming.

#2945 8 years ago

download_(resized).jpgdownload_(resized).jpg

#2946 8 years ago

Cosmetic, I need to remove mylar, sand down thick red paint. Re-paint a parrot, inserts and so on. All things I am capable of doing, but when you are not expecting to see this when you bring it home, it is alarming.

Damn, that sucks....but at the same time makes me think I'm sitting on a $1000 Caribbean Cruise lol

#2947 8 years ago

rotten animal carcasses and ancient paintings just made it seem sooooo much more exciting

Did cavemen really make pinball machines?
Imagine....Caveman Mancaves

#2948 8 years ago

Here is a close up of the missing parrot head. This is "not" the only location with botched touch ups. I can and will fix it... However that halftone will be impossible to fix by hand. I am thinking a scanned decal may be better. But need to consider this kind of thing would be alarming if you are not expecting it.

20160211_202324_resized_(resized).jpg20160211_202324_resized_(resized).jpg

The funny thing is, another botched touch-up behind the parrot looks like he is farting... Which is understandable since it lost its head.

#2949 8 years ago

Poor parrot... I know this pin Jean luc...it was on San Diego Craig's about last August, yours and the night moves. Both pins $700. The guy you got it from only sat on them about 3 months till listed on riverside CA Craig's list.

#2950 8 years ago

Anybody need a cabinet and head. Its solid and was a 69 paddock. let me know if you need it. Thanx,

There are 12,710 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 255.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-california-for-sale-club-and-wanted-too/page/59 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.