(Topic ID: 108481)

Official California For Sale Club (and Wanted too)

By jwwhite15

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,672 posts
  • 680 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by Wildbill327
  • Topic is favorited by 458 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1581_(resized).JPG
IMG_5083_(resized).JPG
13879268_1077148662378992_2689413698259788385_n_(resized).jpg
20160807_173110_HDR_(resized).jpg
07_(resized).JPG
06_(resized).JPG
05_(resized).JPG
04_(resized).JPG
03_(resized).JPG
02_(resized).JPG
01_(resized).JPG
DSC00003_(resized).JPG
DSC00012_(resized).JPG
DSC00011_(resized).JPG
DSC00010_(resized).JPG
DSC00008_(resized).JPG

There are 12,672 posts in this topic. You are on page 223 of 254.
#11101 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballboy:

Does anyone have any projects for me, I dont care what it is it could be e.m. s.s. Let me know what you have.

Do you want to go really crazy? I ran across this tonight while browsing an auction. The price seems ridiculous (or maybe not?), but hopefully someone will decide to make it beautiful again. I only wish I had the talent to do it right.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/RARE_BAKER_NOVELTY_DEFENSE_WWII_WOOD_RAIL_PINBALL_-LOT524566.aspx

#11103 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

goldcountry.craigslist.org link

DE Simpsons

#11104 1 year ago
Quoted from GroggyFrogFace:

Do you want to go really crazy? I ran across this tonight while browsing an auction. The price seems ridiculous (or maybe not?), but hopefully someone will decide to make it beautiful again. I only wish I had the talent to do it right.
https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/RARE_BAKER_NOVELTY_DEFENSE_WWII_WOOD_RAIL_PINBALL_-LOT524566.aspx

I think he meant projects located in Southern California. Not an out of state auction he would need to ship by third party and pay absurd buyers premium and taxes on.

#11105 1 year ago

Thinking of selling my Godzilla LE #852, local pickup only in the Los Angeles area, no shipping or trades, hit me up if you wanna check it out. On main floor so easy to unload.

#11107 1 year ago

For anyone attending GSPF, we will be bringing up our Weird AL LE and a Legends of Valhalla. We also have GnR LE that can be delivered at the show.
See many of you next week.

#11108 1 year ago

Machine - For Trade
Used - shows wear, needs some work - “This machine was purchased at the Banning Pinball Museum action. It was purchased for a customer that wanted it badly and obviously it’s sold for more than what the machine is wo...”
2022-05-05
Lake Elsinore, CA
Trade
Archived after: 0 days
Viewed: 125 times

#11109 1 year ago

And so it begins.....the slowly told story of why

#11110 1 year ago

Happy cinco de mayo everybody! Mas mota Y cerveza!!C U all soon!!

#11111 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

And so it begins.....the slowly told story of why

Just what this thread needs! I'm invested...

#11112 1 year ago

so... pinball flippers are basically ruining this hobby for everybody else. I was set up to buy this machine (for 6200) and my wife freaked and I had to cancel (lost my $100 deposit). imagine my surprise a few days later when it shows up on craigslist for $1300 more. Obviously I don't have any skin in the game at this point (my wife has my by the (for)skin apparently), but it sucks for anyone looking for a reasonably priced machine that any half way decent deals are instantly eaten up by flippers who are keeping prices artificially high. I hope they get stuck with all this stock of expensive games when the market crashes. sfbay.craigslist.org link

#11113 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

so... pinball flippers are basically ruining this hobby for everybody else. I was set up to buy this machine (for 6200) and my wife freaked and I had to cancel (lost my $100 deposit). imagine my surprise a few days later when it shows up on craigslist for $1300 more. Obviously I don't have any skin in the game at this point (my wife has my by the (for)skin apparently), but it sucks for anyone looking for a reasonably priced machine that any half way decent deals are instantly eaten up by flippers who are keeping prices artificially high. I hope they get stuck with all this stock of expensive games when the market crashes. sfbay.craigslist.org link

Yeah. Some one is getting 007nd lol. That guy sucks. Allegedly

#11114 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Well said... This is a problem everywhere, and Vegas is no exception. I very recently, FINALLY acquired the last game on my wishlist, so this BS wont be much of a factor for me anymore. But still watching these greedy scumbags destroying this hobby everyday, is infuriating... The only thing worse than the flippers, are the people that pay their outrageous prices! Inflation is caused by buyers, not sellers... They gladly pay $10k for a $3k game, and then bitch 24-7 about gas prices.

#11115 1 year ago

I get really lucky and find cheap machines, then I usually try to sell them cheap to give people a chance to buy a pinball if they have never had one.

#11116 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Was this originally 6500? My buddy wanted to buy it. He only has one T2. Now he can buy it for 7500.

#11117 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Was this originally 6500? My buddy wanted to buy it. He only has one T2. Now he can buy it for 7500.

yep, but I'm sure our flipper "friend" got it for closer to $6k.

#11118 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballboy:

get really lucky and find cheap machines, then I usually try to sell them cheap to give people a chance to buy a pinball if they have never had one.

Indeed. I tend to scoop up beaters that other people don't want, get them flipping and pass them on to the next owner. Some of my favorite stories to tell are the adventures I have dragging some sorry, borked machine out of a warehouse or barn and the feeling you get the first time you get a successful boot. That's the draw for me. I pretty much break even on my games(and we all know that if we factor in labor, it's deep in the negative), so I don't feel bad about picking up and selling machines.

#11119 1 year ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

The only thing worse than the flippers, are the people that pay their outrageous prices! Inflation is caused by buyers, not sellers... They gladly pay $10k for a $3k game, and then bitch 24-7 about gas prices.

Careful - there are a number of posters here that will pour hate on you for daring to challenge the idea that high prices are not absolutely the true value of the pins.

#11120 1 year ago

Reduced Bally Wizard to $1500. Need space in my game room. I will move to storage on Monday if it doesn't sell. Located in Reno

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/129792

#11121 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Careful - there are a number of posters here that will pour hate on you for daring to challenge the idea that high prices are not absolutely the true value of the pins.

... Fukem.

#11122 1 year ago

I may have lost my mind but I'm in the market for a Wurlitzer or Rockola cd jukebox. Show me what you got....

#11123 1 year ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

I may have lost my mind but I'm in the market for a Wurlitzer or Rockola cd jukebox. Show me what you got....

That would be a great addition to your game area and for me a place to put my tons of CDs I have on bookshelves

#11124 1 year ago

Just listed a Custom LOTR LE in the marketplace. Located in Reno

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/134974

#11125 1 year ago

FOMO makes you do stupid things. I wouldn’t sweat a used Pro going for at or above MSRP.

#11126 1 year ago

someone posted this on craigslist... the pitchforks are sharpening! inlandempire.craigslist.org link

#11127 1 year ago

Anyone Local want a Stern Insider QR kit brand new in box? Also comes with metal coin door mount from Gotfrogs.
Thanks.

Other - For Sale
“I have a Brand New in Box QR reader from the factory. Box says Premium Version but I believe it also works on LE. And, with the coin door mount Kit this should also work on the Pro...”
2022-05-07
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 3 days
Viewed: 177 times

#11128 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

so... pinball flippers are basically ruining this hobby for everybody else. I was set up to buy this machine (for 6200) and my wife freaked and I had to cancel (lost my $100 deposit). imagine my surprise a few days later when it shows up on craigslist for $1300 more.

It's ALWAYS been that way. Pinball buying is "Highlander rules": There can be only one. I was buying lots of games from around 2006-2011, and there were always a lot of collectors & flippers looking at Craigslist, etc. You gotta be fast. Haul ass and get the game you want before someone else does. I can't tell you how many times I went to pick up a game I saw on CL, the seller was like "whoa, I've had 50 people contact me about this game since I talked to you". Plenty of times I was beat to a game I wanted by the Corona Flipper Bros. or Surfside Flipper. They've got snagging games down to an art...but they can't be everywhere at once! You see something you want and it's still available? GO GO GO. You lost that JP because of your wife...if she was freaked about money, YOU could have been the flipper and walked way with an extra $1k.

#11129 1 year ago

We're moving and I'm shrinking my collection. Just like others here, I believe in passing on these machine with little or no profit.

Machine - For Sale
Firepower Archived
Partially shopped/refurbished - “Players condition Firepower that was partially restored. Fast and fun game! See my hardtop installation thread of this machine here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firep...”
2022-05-07
Gauting, BY
Archived after: 1 day
Viewed: 231 times
Contributed to Pinside

Machine - For Sale
Comet Archived
Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “Players condition Comet for sale in San Jose, CA. Fun game! Pros - Playfield in decent condition - Comet LEDs throughout - New standup target decals - Boards: New capacitors on ...”
2022-05-07
Gauting, BY
Archived after: 1 day
Viewed: 327 times
Contributed to Pinside

#11130 1 year ago
Quoted from waveman:

We're moving and I'm shrinking my collection. Just like others here, I believe in passing on these machine with little or no profit.

If you were in So Cal I’d jump right on that Comet. Too far from me in Az. Nice price.

Machine - For Sale

Firepower

New!

Partially shopped/refurbished “Players condition Firepower that was partially restored. Fast and fun game!

See my hardtop installation thread of this machine here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firep...”

2 hours ago

San Jose, CA

waveman

Machine - For Sale

Comet

New!

Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean “Players condition Comet for sale in San Jose, CA. Fun game!

Pros
- Playfield in decent condition
- Comet LEDs throughout
- New standup target decals
- Boards: New capacitors on ...”

2 hours ago

San Jose, CA

waveman

#11131 1 year ago

+1000000 points to waveman for not being a scalper! That comet looks sweet and is near irresistible at that price. I'm sure it'll be gone in the next 24 hours, and hopefully to a budding young pinhead who will play the heck out of it.

#11132 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

+1000000 points to waveman for not being a scalper! That comet looks sweet and is near irresistible at that price. I'm sure it'll be gone in the next 24 hours, and hopefully to a budding young pinhead who will play the heck out of it.

Odd side Note: Comet was the first Williams game to experiment with spark suppressant
---------------- E.O.S. capacitors.

#11133 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Agree, also, super nice looking Firepower for a great price. That would have severely tempted me, I really like Firepower.

#11134 1 year ago

Ok... so kinda off topic but not really. I'm kinda new here, but this is my favorite spot on the whole internet these days Last night I realized I can check out, quite easily, everyone's collection. And I gotta say, "what gives??" I can see a normal person having one, two, maybe even three machines (like an old classic, a 80's/90's classic, and a modern Stern) but there are tons of people on here who have 10, 20 or more pins! So, if you have more than 10 is it because a) you are a millionaire and have a giant house and no one tells you what to do, b) you are a professional and these games get routed and this is your income, c) your whole life and house is devoted to this hobby and you have no wife/family...? Not trying to insult anyone, just trying to understand how some one can have a few hundred thousand dollars worth of pinball machines and a family too.

#11135 1 year ago

it just takes time; i plan to buy a machine a year and work two extra jobs to do so

also remember that back in 2002 you could buy a machine for like $600. they weren't always ~7k+

#11136 1 year ago

You could have quite a few and not spend all that much money. All 3 of mine cost just over $2k total. Anyone could have added 2 really nice examples of popular pins for $1,300 / $1,400 each from waveman’s sale a few posts above.

#11137 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Ok... so kinda off topic but not really. I'm kinda new here, but this is my favorite spot on the whole internet these days Last night I realized I can check out, quite easily, everyone's collection. And I gotta say, "what gives??" I can see a normal person having one, two, maybe even three machines (like an old classic, a 80's/90's classic, and a modern Stern) but there are tons of people on here who have 10, 20 or more pins! So, if you have more than 10 is it because a) you are a millionaire and have a giant house and no one tells you what to do, b) you are a professional and these games get routed and this is your income, c) your whole life and house is devoted to this hobby and you have no wife/family...? Not trying to insult anyone, just trying to understand how some one can have a few hundred thousand dollars worth of pinball machines and a family too.

At one point I had 11 pins all 78-82, and I never paid more then 700 for the most expensive. But that was in the early 90s - no significant internet and no flippers. It changed dramatically once places like rec.games.pinball changed to modern sites and eBay.

I only have two now, and I’m with you when I see a row of modern pins - who has that kind of disposable cash? It’s also a lot harder to buy a trashed pin for a good price and fix it up.

Now there are sources for new PF and BGs, making the trashed pins more valuable. I remember when Solar Fires always had badly flaking back glasses.

There’s a certain amount that this is a legacy hobby - you had to start off when things were cheap. My strategy now is to trade, or trade up.

#11138 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

They all fit in the man cave garage aquired over time.

#11139 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Also, those houses with all that space for pinballs you see in other threads tend to be in other parts of the country, where unlike in LA the basic house with a detached garage, yard, full basement and / or free-standing studio don't start at 1.5 million.

#11140 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I can see a normal person having one, two, maybe even three machines

Normal and pinball? welcome aboard..

#11141 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

They all fit in the man cave garage aquired over time.

that must be a beautiful garage, you've got a fantastic (and tasteful, imho) collection!

#11142 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

as many people have said these machines multiply like rabbits.Where theres a will theres a space.some of us are sick we got the bug.

#11143 1 year ago

There is some truth to the statement "It's a sickness"

#11144 1 year ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

There is some truth to the statement "It's a sickness"

I choose to look at it as therapy

#11145 1 year ago

I've got my 10 in my 1000sqft 2BR apartment, and I'm married. Fairly sure there's no one else on the planet that matches that level of ridiculousness.

#11146 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Not trying to insult anyone, just trying to understand how some one can have a few hundred thousand dollars worth of pinball machines and a family too.

A lot of us bought games when they were cheap. I wouldn’t buy my collection at todays prices, but I bought most of my games before 2010 & many were $1000 or less. I bought LOTR for $500. Addams for $2400.

NIB Sterns used to be $3500

#11147 1 year ago
Quoted from palmab03:

I've got my 10 in my 1000sqft 2BR apartment, and I'm married. Fairly sure there's no one else on the planet that matches that level of ridiculousness.

I had 13 in my apartment.

And once had 88 people playing them in a tournament.

rd

#11148 1 year ago

I have 16 taking up much of my 1100 sq ft house. I’m fine with that for now and so is my fiancé. When we have a child, I might sell some or put them in storage. Hard to part with your dream collection that took 15 years to build!

#11149 1 year ago

For the first 5-6 years of collecting, my policy was nothing over $600 which was what I paid for my first. Collected at least 10-12 machines that way include a Johnny Mnemonic, Cyclone, Night Rider, Genie, Space Mission. I got a Catacomb a year or so ago for $600. Flipper Football from my other brother Mike that one dude for 900. There are still deals out there ifn you don't need the latest and hottest.

Build inventory and trade up little by little.

#11150 1 year ago

Wow I dig these stories but you all are also kind of scaring me! I love pinball and think these machines (mostly the older ones) are beautiful, but they are so big and heavy and I really don't want them to take over my life and my house! Maybe it's better for me they are not so cheap now because there is no way I could resist a classic under $1000 pin. My last hobby was tube audio and after buying up 6 or 7 amplifiers I forced myself to stop. (I've been selling them now, saving for a good pin). Right now I've just had my first pin (Time Warp) for about three months and the great thing is, since it's the only game, we all play it and are starting to get good at it, and really appreciate it as an older, simpler game. (what it's really training me at is pushing the machine around). I feel like if/when I buy a more exciting machine we will all abandon poor old Time Warp. Maybe I'll just keep a one pin at a time policy... Anyway, thanks for giving me a little insight into the depth of this disease!

There are 12,672 posts in this topic. You are on page 223 of 254.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-california-for-sale-club-and-wanted-too/page/223?hl=nevadanutjob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.