(Topic ID: 144462)

Unofficial Big Buck Hunter Arcade thread (BBH)

By northvibe

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,750 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 days ago by evh347
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5B85BB88-7DA4-4AB4-9BE4-A6BD3EA0F101 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240225_132927_Dropbox.jpg
IMG_0791 (resized).jpeg
20231227_162355 (resized).jpg
20231227_161012 (resized).jpg
20231227_161042 (resized).jpg
20231227_161015 (resized).jpg
image0 (resized).jpeg
PS Logo (resized).jpg
BBHD_42_ReloadedRESIZED (resized).png
BBHR_CabinetRender_v2 (resized).png
IMG_0766 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0765 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0264 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0263 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gregdole7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#255 4 years ago

Hi everyone, and thanks for the great thread. I've owned a BBH Pro 27" for about 5 years now. It's in great shape and a lot of fun for my kids.

Recently, the machine display showed "no signal" upon startup and nothing loads.

I have a microtel computer and the machine fan, CPU fan, and dongle light all power on without an issue, so I'm assuming it's not a power supply issue. Safe assumption?

I know folks say the microtel machines are rubbish and to go with a Dell, but I have also seen a lot of folks with Dells reporting issues.

Given the above, is it safe to assume this is either a mother board (integrated graphics) or HDD problem? Any way to determine which?

Is it easiest to try to replace the MB first, and then HDD with an install?

The install disc in my cabinet is version 1.05, if I buy a new Dell 740 or 380, does it matter if I buy a machine with Windows 7 or 10? Anything else to look for in a replacement machine?

Any other ideas of what I should try?

#258 4 years ago

I ordered a motherboard on eBay last night, we'll see what happened. I emailed Betson and they advised it could be bad RAM as well.

As far as I can tell, the microtel is original. The game has over 80,000 plays (!) and the computer doesn't have a cover, CD drive, and looks like it has been around the block a few times.

#260 4 years ago

Thanks all. I replaced the motherboard and now have signal (finally) to the monitor.

However, I am not getting a full load of the game. The sequence I see is as follows:

ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus Logo (motherboard)
Lilo 22.58 Loading Linus-2.6.12 bs......BIOS data check successful
Big Buck Hunter Logo....Loading Please Wait.
18 second later I get a hash or some single character (white on all black background) and it doesn't advance past there.

Any idea on what to try next?

IMG_4178 (resized).jpegIMG_4178 (resized).jpegIMG_4179 (resized).jpegIMG_4179 (resized).jpegIMG_4180 (resized).jpegIMG_4180 (resized).jpeg
#261 4 years ago

To add another data point, when I launch the game without the dongle inserted, it does the same as above, but then shows a full screen "Insert Dongle" graphic. I insert the dongle and it goes to the all black screen with single dash in top left hand corner.

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Try a reinstall.

This machine was stripped of the CD drive. Will a USB CD drive work?

#265 4 years ago

I see the BIOS settings call for a boot sequence of:
1. CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive 2. USB-ZIP
3. USB-DEVICE
4. HARDDRIVE
5. USB-FDD
6. USB-CDROM
7. NIC
8. DISKETTE DRIVE

Which of these is the Dongle USB drive? I have not changed the BIOS after installing the new MB (no keyboard handy), could that be the problem?

#267 4 years ago

I have reinstalled from the restore disc, and have the same problem.

2 questions:

1. Could something have happened in the motherboard reconnect to cause this? I can't think of anything given all should not cause the game to show the loading screen.

2. Install CD is v. 1.0.5 (which is old, I know). I also know the version is somehow tied to the dongle. If I buy the new 1.2.5 disc from Raw Thrills, will it work with my dongle?

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I finally got it running with the updated motherboard. I should have played a few games on the old hardware and timed the loading screens, but it seems much better. So far I can confirm that an ASUS M2N-MX SE works as a replacement for the harder to find original.

Do you know what version of the game you are running?

Did you need to reinstall with the new motherboard?

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

As long as it is the same game, then it will.work with your dongle. You might want to take a look at the release notes for the different upgrades as they (raw thrills) started adding support for other motherboards later on and perhaps your new board isn't compatible with the older software.

Thanks, I tried to do that, but can't seem to find the release notes anywhere on Raw Thrills' site.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gregdole7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-big-buck-hunter-arcade-thread-bbh?tu=gregdole7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.