(Topic ID: 144462)

Unofficial Big Buck Hunter Arcade thread (BBH)

By northvibe

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,750 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by evh347
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5B85BB88-7DA4-4AB4-9BE4-A6BD3EA0F101 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240225_132927_Dropbox.jpg
IMG_0791 (resized).jpeg
20231227_162355 (resized).jpg
20231227_161012 (resized).jpg
20231227_161042 (resized).jpg
20231227_161015 (resized).jpg
image0 (resized).jpeg
PS Logo (resized).jpg
BBHD_42_ReloadedRESIZED (resized).png
BBHR_CabinetRender_v2 (resized).png
IMG_0766 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0765 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0264 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0263 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,750 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 35.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

You have to take off the back of the game and plug a computer keyboard into one of the usb ports and then go into each setting that is different to the ones below and change them. The bios settings are in the manual as well.

Thanks I plugged the key board in and that is how I was able to proceed. I also had to take the computer apart to change the battery but I have not done this yet. I will give it a shot. Thanks

#252 4 years ago

Will messing with the bios have any effect on add on packs that I have bought? Will I have to reinstall?

#253 4 years ago

Looked in the manual for the bios and can’t find them. I see the bios farther up in this thread are for pro and not HD. Are these the same for HD?

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Looked in the manual for the bios and can’t find them. I see the bios farther up in this thread are for pro and not HD. Are these the same for HD?

I’m not familiar with hd but they all run pc’s. As long as you aren’t changing critical settings and just doing the time set.

2 weeks later
#255 4 years ago

Hi everyone, and thanks for the great thread. I've owned a BBH Pro 27" for about 5 years now. It's in great shape and a lot of fun for my kids.

Recently, the machine display showed "no signal" upon startup and nothing loads.

I have a microtel computer and the machine fan, CPU fan, and dongle light all power on without an issue, so I'm assuming it's not a power supply issue. Safe assumption?

I know folks say the microtel machines are rubbish and to go with a Dell, but I have also seen a lot of folks with Dells reporting issues.

Given the above, is it safe to assume this is either a mother board (integrated graphics) or HDD problem? Any way to determine which?

Is it easiest to try to replace the MB first, and then HDD with an install?

The install disc in my cabinet is version 1.05, if I buy a new Dell 740 or 380, does it matter if I buy a machine with Windows 7 or 10? Anything else to look for in a replacement machine?

Any other ideas of what I should try?

#256 4 years ago

Is the microtel the original PC?

They did have caps that expanded and failed. So it could be a bad motherboard. It will not matter what OS comes on it as you’ll have to reformat with the BBH cd and it will format to the correct os and software.

#257 4 years ago

I have a working motherboard I could sell. Where are you located?

#258 4 years ago

I ordered a motherboard on eBay last night, we'll see what happened. I emailed Betson and they advised it could be bad RAM as well.

As far as I can tell, the microtel is original. The game has over 80,000 plays (!) and the computer doesn't have a cover, CD drive, and looks like it has been around the block a few times.

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from gregdole7:

I ordered a motherboard on eBay last night, we'll see what happened. I emailed Betson and they advised it could be bad RAM as well.
As far as I can tell, the microtel is original. The game has over 80,000 plays (!) and the computer doesn't have a cover, CD drive, and looks like it has been around the block a few times.

Have you pulled the PC out yet? You can see sometimes visually the capacitors bulging or leaking. As for the ram, you can download and burn/usb stick a memtest 86+ and it will validate your memory.

#260 4 years ago

Thanks all. I replaced the motherboard and now have signal (finally) to the monitor.

However, I am not getting a full load of the game. The sequence I see is as follows:

ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus Logo (motherboard)
Lilo 22.58 Loading Linus-2.6.12 bs......BIOS data check successful
Big Buck Hunter Logo....Loading Please Wait.
18 second later I get a hash or some single character (white on all black background) and it doesn't advance past there.

Any idea on what to try next?

IMG_4178 (resized).jpegIMG_4178 (resized).jpegIMG_4179 (resized).jpegIMG_4179 (resized).jpegIMG_4180 (resized).jpegIMG_4180 (resized).jpeg
#261 4 years ago

To add another data point, when I launch the game without the dongle inserted, it does the same as above, but then shows a full screen "Insert Dongle" graphic. I insert the dongle and it goes to the all black screen with single dash in top left hand corner.

#262 4 years ago

Try a reinstall.

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Try a reinstall.

This machine was stripped of the CD drive. Will a USB CD drive work?

#264 4 years ago

I don't see why not. Just set the bios to boot to that device.

#265 4 years ago

I see the BIOS settings call for a boot sequence of:
1. CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive 2. USB-ZIP
3. USB-DEVICE
4. HARDDRIVE
5. USB-FDD
6. USB-CDROM
7. NIC
8. DISKETTE DRIVE

Which of these is the Dongle USB drive? I have not changed the BIOS after installing the new MB (no keyboard handy), could that be the problem?

#266 4 years ago

i would make your order

i have used usb dvd drives in the past to load games. i really wish they would just use a usb flash drive to do this, but i have not figured out (or looked into) doing this yet.

#267 4 years ago

I have reinstalled from the restore disc, and have the same problem.

2 questions:

1. Could something have happened in the motherboard reconnect to cause this? I can't think of anything given all should not cause the game to show the loading screen.

2. Install CD is v. 1.0.5 (which is old, I know). I also know the version is somehow tied to the dongle. If I buy the new 1.2.5 disc from Raw Thrills, will it work with my dongle?

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I finally got it running with the updated motherboard. I should have played a few games on the old hardware and timed the loading screens, but it seems much better. So far I can confirm that an ASUS M2N-MX SE works as a replacement for the harder to find original.

Do you know what version of the game you are running?

Did you need to reinstall with the new motherboard?

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from gregdole7:

As long as it is the same game, then it will.work with your dongle. You might want to take a look at the release notes for the different upgrades as they (raw thrills) started adding support for other motherboards later on and perhaps your new board isn't compatible with the older software.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

As long as it is the same game, then it will.work with your dongle. You might want to take a look at the release notes for the different upgrades as they (raw thrills) started adding support for other motherboards later on and perhaps your new board isn't compatible with the older software.

Thanks, I tried to do that, but can't seem to find the release notes anywhere on Raw Thrills' site.

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from gregdole7:

I bought the most recent disc on ebay. It was a little cheaper than Raw Thrills.

3 weeks later
#272 4 years ago

Thinking about getting one of these for my basement, what is the newest model and where is the best place to pick one up?

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Thinking about getting one of these for my basement, what is the newest model and where is the best place to pick one up?

HD is the newest, however they do “DLC” now and buying it for the home unless it was already purchased is a chunk of change. Best bet for price is a used one from a local op or CL, or new from a distributor.

Not sure if they run a “home” version...thought they may have but wasn’t sure how the dlc works. You’ll want all the add ons, there are some fun ones!

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

HD is the newest, however they do “DLC” now and buying it for the home unless it was already purchased is a chunk of change. Best bet for price is a used one from a local op or CL, or new from a distributor.
Not sure if they run a “home” version...thought they may have but wasn’t sure how the dlc works. You’ll want all the add ons, there are some fun ones!

Thanks is HD worth that price($5k)? Anywhere I can find a used one or are the prior models before HD just as fun but cheaper? Sorry for the noob questions lol

#275 4 years ago

I haven't played the HD, but I've never enjoyed a gun game that wasn't optical. All the new gun games are basically a Wiimote sensor if I'm not mistaken.

#276 4 years ago

Used HD was ~$3500 when I checked from a retail op. I feel like they should be about $2500-3k soon used as the prices of the crt versions have been dropping. Sold my world pro perfect time!

#277 4 years ago

Recently joined the club with a nice Big Buck Safari! Been on the lookout for a while and was glad to finally find one locally. I plan to upgrade it to World eventually but am enjoying Safari for now.

Couldn’t help myself and got it set up for streaming, here’s a recent vid with a direct feed off the monitor: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/449139076?t=786s

82254DCA-097F-4A0F-A7E2-4ABE9635125E (resized).jpeg82254DCA-097F-4A0F-A7E2-4ABE9635125E (resized).jpegA70BD706-2F57-4332-A39D-85EF7311F146 (resized).jpegA70BD706-2F57-4332-A39D-85EF7311F146 (resized).jpeg
#278 4 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Recently joined the club with a nice Big Buck Safari! Been on the lookout for a while and was glad to finally find one locally. I plan to upgrade it to World eventually but am enjoying Safari for now.
Couldn’t help myself and got it set up for streaming, here’s a recent vid with a direct feed off the monitor: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/449139076?t=786s[quoted image][quoted image]

Cool. What does one like this cost and is there one like this where you are hunting North America instead of safari?

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Cool. What does one like this cost and is there one like this where you are hunting North America instead of safari?

Safari ranges depending private party vs retailer 1500-2000 ish. And the NA hunt is "Big Buck Hunter Pro". World, combines Pro and Safari.

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Safari ranges depending private party vs retailer 1500-2000 ish. And the NA hunt is "Big Buck Hunter Pro". World, combines Pro and Safari.

Thank you. Any good arcade forums like pinside where you can find private sellers or do you find these mainly on eBay and craigslist?

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Thank you. Any good arcade forums like pinside where you can find private sellers or do you find these mainly on eBay and craigslist?

Check the KLOV forums over at https://www.arcade-museum.com/

#282 4 years ago

I have one in MA I'd consider selling. It's a Pro that was upgraded to World. Computer was also upgraded with a faster CPU, RAM and SSD. It just doesn't get played enough. I'd be looking for around 2k. It is not fun to move.

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I have one in MA I'd consider selling. It's a Pro that was upgraded to World. Computer was also upgraded with a faster CPU, RAM and SSD. It just doesn't get played enough. I'd be looking for around 2k. It is not fun to move.

That’s a bit of a hike! Why are they no fun to move? Heavy?

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Is there a guide anywhere on doing the CPU/RAM/SSD upgrades? I've built PCs before so I assume the process is pretty straightforward but am always down for tips to make life easier.

#285 4 years ago

Is there a guide anywhere on doing the CPU/RAM/SSD upgrades? I've built PCs before so I assume the process is pretty straightforward but am always down for tips to make life easier.

I found a list of compatible motherboards and took a gamble and it worked. Turns out my issue was only a power supply, so now I have 2 fully working computers. I'll see if I can dig up the list. The one I bought was M2N-MX SE

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

That’s a bit of a hike! Why are they no fun to move? Heavy?

It was extremely heavy and awkward. The cab is in better than average shape, but I think a lot of the dings came from moving it in here. It took 3 of us. If you have a straight shot load in it wouldn't be bad. It has built in casters.

#287 4 years ago

I made a bunch of posts in the beginning of the thread for info!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-big-buck-hunter-arcade-thread-bbh#post-2802546

I also did all the upgrades to my bbh and documented them in this thread. Ask or pm if you have any questions

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I made a bunch of posts in the beginning of the thread for info!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-big-buck-hunter-arcade-thread-bbh#post-2802546
I also did all the upgrades to my bbh and documented them in this thread. Ask or pm if you have any questions

Excellent! Will dig back through the thread for the info. Thanks for sharing.

#289 4 years ago

Hey guys after much use my big buck hunter safari upright has stopped working, dell 740 has new motherboard power it was in standby orange light and not starting; I’ve installed in bios battery and completed all the settings installed it. It starts up the monitor powers up and works but no signal from computer to the monitor; I’ve bypassed the I0 board to ensure the monitor works is there a chance the I/O board is playing up? I’ve check the watchdog fuses any suggestions to help?

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from Hunter87:

Hey guys after much use my big buck hunter safari upright has stopped working, dell 740 has new motherboard power it was in standby orange light and not starting; I’ve installed in bios battery and completed all the settings installed it. It starts up the monitor powers up and works but no signal from computer to the monitor; I’ve bypassed the I0 board to ensure the monitor works is there a chance the I/O board is playing up? I’ve check the watchdog fuses any suggestions to help?

There’s a lot of bends in the upper monitor cable from io to monitor, could swap that or test it from PC to monitor (w/o io) just to verify quick. I would think the watch dog would throw an output error on screen, but I don’t have a ton of experience with that board. Do you have the manual?

#291 4 years ago

Anyone on KLoV that could recommend me so that I can post? My user name is pmflaugh

1 month later
#292 4 years ago

You lucky ducks with Hd!

A13E97F5-C838-48A0-8631-E5E15D0BFB55 (resized).pngA13E97F5-C838-48A0-8631-E5E15D0BFB55 (resized).png
#293 4 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Anyone on KLoV that could recommend me so that I can post? My user name is pmflaugh

I thought they stopped doing that? Is it back?

#294 4 years ago

I have some bbh hd coming in if anyone is intetested.

42" mini units. Breifly used on route. Online versions at this time (requires online subscription per month), but can be changed to offline for a fee. There are some new things coming for bbh HD in the near future, get one now!

$4250 each.

Shipping available at buyers expense.

[email protected]
608-393-2299 Christopher cell

1 week later
#295 4 years ago

Hey crew, i've been thinking about picking up a buck hunter HD panoramic. They are quoting about $5300 usd. That's without a tv. It seems pretty high but I really want one. Owners that have one, is it worth it? We are pretty much maxing out the skill on my current BH world.

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Hey crew, i've been thinking about picking up a buck hunter HD panoramic. They are quoting about $5300 usd. That's without a tv. It seems pretty high but I really want one. Owners that have one, is it worth it? We are pretty much maxing out the skill on my current BH world.

I think they have a coin op and home version now. 5300 sounds like new coin op retail.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Good news is I think it was the computer power supply. I tried another power supply and the game started to boot. It did nothing before. The power supply doesn't fit in the case, but I'm confident once the correct one ships it will be fine.
My next step is getting the SSD to work. I formatted it on my PC to NTFS, put it in the machine and ran the install. It fails after a couple minutes. I popped the HD back in my PC and it looks like it started to work, it made a bunch of partitions. I am doing this on the bench outside of the game. I have the dongles attached (pro, open season upgrade and world upgrade), but not the IO board. Do I need to have the IO board attached?
[quoted image]

I'm trying to install an SSD and just got this same message. My game has the Dell Optiplex 740 computer. Everything works fine with the standard drive but no luck with this one. Any recommendations?

#298 4 years ago

I'm trying to install an SSD and just got this same message. My game has the Dell Optiplex 740 computer. Everything works fine with the standard drive but no luck with this one. Any recommendations?

Are you using a SATA power cable with 5 wires (orange) or a molex to sata adapter? Some of the newer drives look for the orange (3.3v) connection to work right. Not sure if this is your issue, but might be worth a shot.

#299 4 years ago

I’m pretty sure I cloned the drive from the old spin disc with a Linux boot disc. How big is the ssd?

#300 4 years ago

Sorry, I don't recall how I got it to work. I'm almost certain it was a regular install with the CD.

There are 1,750 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-big-buck-hunter-arcade-thread-bbh/page/6?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.